Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > US Congress & The Legislative Branch
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

US Congress & The Legislative Branch Discuss Joe Manchin's critical vote at the Political Forums; It is my understanding that Joe Manchin (D-WV) informed Chuck Schumer (the Majority Leader), this past summer, that he simply ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2021, 12:17 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,912
Thanks: 15,934
Thanked 5,567 Times in 3,558 Posts
Default Joe Manchin's critical vote

It is my understanding that Joe Manchin (D-WV) informed Chuck Schumer (the Majority Leader), this past summer, that he simply would not vote for any "human infrastructure" bill with a price tag above 1.5 trillion dollars, over 10 years.

And, although I cannot say for certain, I have no reason to believe that this number is at all flexible.
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got it…"—George Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2021, 09:59 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,023
Thanks: 13,396
Thanked 9,846 Times in 5,587 Posts
Default Re: Joe Manchin's critical vote

You haven't paid much attention to Joe Manchin. He is always an early road block for the Marxist wing of the Dem party (that is to say almost ALL Dems other than a handful). He will get plenty of TV interviews and garner a lot of attention. But when it comes time to actually stand his ground, he almost always caves in with "just this time" rhetoric. I have no faith that Joe Manchin will stand on any principles other than to do what Chuck Schumer tells him to do.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2021, 01:02 PM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 57,268
Thanks: 2,451
Thanked 39,397 Times in 21,903 Posts
Default Re: Joe Manchin's critical vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
You haven't paid much attention to Joe Manchin. He is always an early road block for the Marxist wing of the Dem party (that is to say almost ALL Dems other than a handful). He will get plenty of TV interviews and garner a lot of attention. But when it comes time to actually stand his ground, he almost always caves in with "just this time" rhetoric. I have no faith that Joe Manchin will stand on any principles other than to do what Chuck Schumer tells him to do.
I disagree...

I believe (no guarantees) that Manchin (and Sinema) are actually standing up on principle...It's incredibly easy (and cynical) to thinking politicians ALWAYS have some ulterior motive, but every once in awhile, they do stuff because that's what they actually think is right...
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-2021, 07:14 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,023
Thanks: 13,396
Thanked 9,846 Times in 5,587 Posts
Default Re: Joe Manchin's critical vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
I disagree...

I believe (no guarantees) that Manchin (and Sinema) are actually standing up on principle...It's incredibly easy (and cynical) to thinking politicians ALWAYS have some ulterior motive, but every once in awhile, they do stuff because that's what they actually think is right...
I really do hope that you are right and that my take is way off base. But I've seen this movie to many times before with Manchin. It is almost as if he wants to feel that he is the most important person in DC with the attention that his stance garners by the media only to cave under pressure from the Dem leadership. But maybe this time he stands his ground.

However, I still do have a problem with his statements on this issue. He said that we don't need anymore gov't programs while we are not able to fully fund the existing programs. Sounds great and spot on.

But then he says that he may be able to go for 1.5 or even 2 Trillion dollars.

Say what? If we can't afford the programs that we already have, what makes him think we can better afford them by spending another 1.5 to 2 Trillion dollars?

My impression is that this is yet again Manchin seeking the spotlight for a while and believing that the people of West Virginia are dumb enough not to see it for what it is and keep him in office.

I am hoping the Sinema stands her ground on this and have a lot more faith in her than I do Manchin.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2021, 08:54 AM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 20,399
Thanks: 14,185
Thanked 15,490 Times in 8,861 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: Joe Manchin's critical vote

I believe Democrats will delink the so-called infrastructure bill from the omnibus spending bill, pass it with help from weak kneed Republican Senators. Mitch McConnell with then agree to a pared down spending bill with most, if not all of radical Leftist policies such as amnesty and the taxpayer funding of partisan shock troops along with IRS expansion, claiming it shows the Republicans are willing to compromise.

Democrats know they have to pass significant portions of their radical Leftist agenda before attention shifts to the midterm elections. Don't know about Manchin but as long as she doesn't buckle to Biden’s goons Sinema is invulnerable to challenges for her seat. They will likely abandon the pressure campaign against both Senators and resort to peeling away go along, get along RINOs.
__________________
If Democrats were confident their nominee actually received more than 80 million votes they wouldn't have more troops occupying Washington, DC than Lincoln had defending the city during the Civil War. Not Joe Biden, Kim Jung Biden.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AZRWinger For This Useful Post:
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2021, 09:41 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 88,380
Thanks: 57,140
Thanked 26,877 Times in 19,325 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Joe Manchin's critical vote

He's a corporate whore and she's afraid of her next election.
__________________
The IRS budget has been reduced by roughly 20%. Meanwhile, the richest 1% have been able to evade as much as $163 billion a year in taxes. These things are directly connected.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-14-2021, 06:18 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,023
Thanks: 13,396
Thanked 9,846 Times in 5,587 Posts
Default Re: Joe Manchin's critical vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
He's a corporate whore and she's afraid of her next election.
And why would she be afraid of the next election? Could it be that the people of Arizona don't care for the selling out of our country to the Marxists in the Democratic party? And shouldn't she be representing the people of Arizona instead of being led around by the nose by Chuck Schumer?

You seem to be annoyed that there are people in this country that have differing opinions from yours as to how this country should proceed.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-14-2021, 12:54 PM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 20,399
Thanks: 14,185
Thanked 15,490 Times in 8,861 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: Joe Manchin's critical vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
And why would she be afraid of the next election? Could it be that the people of Arizona don't care for the selling out of our country to the Marxists in the Democratic party? And shouldn't she be representing the people of Arizona instead of being led around by the nose by Chuck Schumer?

You seem to be annoyed that there are people in this country that have differing opinions from yours as to how this country should proceed.
Sinema ran as a pragmatic problem solver. She has by and large fulfilled that promise even when it mean defying Democrat leadership. A few years ago at the SOTUS Sinema refused to wear the all white brides of the Klan uniform demanded by Democrat Marxist radicals. Instead she wore a pink dress and was see joining in standing ovations for Trump policies. Oh the horror.

A friend of mine who is deeply involved in AZ state Republican politics tells me Sinema's independence has made her invulnerable whereas Senator Kelly's blind obedience to Chucky has had the opposite effect.
__________________
If Democrats were confident their nominee actually received more than 80 million votes they wouldn't have more troops occupying Washington, DC than Lincoln had defending the city during the Civil War. Not Joe Biden, Kim Jung Biden.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-14-2021, 01:29 PM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 57,268
Thanks: 2,451
Thanked 39,397 Times in 21,903 Posts
Default Re: Joe Manchin's critical vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
A friend of mine who is deeply involved in AZ state Republican politics tells me Sinema's independence has made her invulnerable whereas Senator Kelly's blind obedience to Chucky has had the opposite effect.
When Sinema ran, a LOT of people (including myself) were saying she was a wolf in sheep's clothes. Her words had an independent streak, but once she was in, she'd revert to the Liberal standard...Why did so many think that?...Because it's been the standard for years...

Surprisingly (and refreshingly), she's been an exception to the rule...and this is why the Left hates her now...

LiberalLand -"Hey Sinema!! We heard your middle-of-the-road rhetoric when you were a nominee. How come you didn't show that it was all for show and be a 100% far-Lefty like you're SUPPOSED to?!?!?!"...


__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cnredd For This Useful Post:
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-15-2021, 03:19 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 88,380
Thanks: 57,140
Thanked 26,877 Times in 19,325 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Joe Manchin's critical vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
And why would she be afraid of the next election? Could it be that the people of Arizona don't care for the selling out of our country to the Marxists in the Democratic party? And shouldn't she be representing the people of Arizona instead of being led around by the nose by Chuck Schumer?

You seem to be annoyed that there are people in this country that have differing opinions from yours as to how this country should proceed.
If it was because they have different views that is one thing, but she was a woke progressive 5 minutes ago and he doesn't even try hard to hide that he is bribed for his vote.
__________________
The IRS budget has been reduced by roughly 20%. Meanwhile, the richest 1% have been able to evade as much as $163 billion a year in taxes. These things are directly connected.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
critical, joe, manchin, vote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0