Political Wrinkles

Political Wrinkles (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/)
-   US Congress & The Legislative Branch (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/us-congress-legislative-branch/)
-   -   Rashida Tlaib blasted over claim that US supported Taliban before it existed (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/us-congress-legislative-branch/60109-rashida-tlaib-blasted-over-claim-us-supported-taliban-before-existed.html)

cnredd 08-16-2021 09:52 PM

Rashida Tlaib blasted over claim that US supported Taliban before it existed
 
We have a new leader in the battle to look the dumbest...:slapme

Rashida Tlaib blasted over claim that US supported Taliban before it existed

https://i.ibb.co/g9LKzYr/Tlaib-Taliban.jpg

Quote:

Rep. Rashida Tlaib, D-Mich., was blasted for claiming Sunday that the U.S. supported the Taliban against the Soviet forces occupying Afghanistan in the 1980s, a decade before the Islamist group came into existence.

"That’s what this is: the horrible consequences of endless war and failed US policy going back to the 1980s when we backed the Taliban against the Soviets. Innocent people suffer the horrors of war while political leaders and arms-dealing corporations sit back and make billions," the far-left Squad member wrote in a plea for the U.S. to open its borders to refugees from Afghanistan amid the deteriorating situation there.

Tlaib appeared to conflate the Taliban with what was actually the Afghan mujahedeen, various rebel groups united against the Soviet army under Islamic ideology and supported by the United States. One infamous member of the mujahedeen was al Qaeda terrorist leader Usama bin Laden.

Following the withdrawal of Soviet forces and the end of the Soviet-Afghan War in 1989, civil war continued to rage in Afghanistan as groups forming the mujahedeen splintered. The Taliban emerged in 1994 as a major faction fighting in the war.

Critics, including some liberal journalists, quickly corrected Tlaib over the false claim.

Manitou 08-16-2021 11:05 PM

Re: Rashida Tlaib blasted over claim that US supported Taliban before it existed
 
The leftists will simply accept as fact whatever Rashida poops out of her mouth.

saltwn 08-17-2021 01:04 AM

Re: Rashida Tlaib blasted over claim that US supported Taliban before it existed
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cnredd (Post 1007681)

well she's right and so was Hillary Clinton who said the same thing. Actually Hillary said we created them as a force against the Soviets.
Be careful what you wish for...

AZRWinger 08-18-2021 01:24 PM

Re: Rashida Tlaib blasted over claim that US supported Taliban before it existed
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by saltwn (Post 1007691)
well she's right and so was Hillary Clinton who said the same thing. Actually Hillary said we created them as a force against the Soviets.
Be careful what you wish for...

No, the force the US supported but didn't create was Mujahideen. The Soviets withdrew in 1989. The Taliban formed in 1994 with approximately 50 members. I know it's a disappointment to the ignorant, America hating Democrats including Hillary Clinton but the US is not to blame for the Taliban.

https://www-nytimes-com.cdn.ampproje...ip-bridge.html

mr wonder 08-18-2021 02:10 PM

Re: Rashida Tlaib blasted over claim that US supported Taliban before it existed
 
https://www.globalresearch.ca/articl...ujahideen1.jpg

Ronald Reagan meets Afghan Mujahideen Commanders at the White House in 1985 (Reagan Archives)

https://www.globalresearch.ca/articl...n_camp1987.jpg

Front row, from left: Major Gen. Hamid Gul, director general of Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence Directorate (ISI), Director of Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Willian Webster; Deputy Director for Operations Clair George; an ISI colonel; and senior CIA official, Milt Bearden at a Mujahideen training camp in North-West Frontier Province of Pakistan in 1987. (source RAWA)

We Created Al Qaeda to Fight the Soviets in Afghanistan

Jimmy Carter’s National Security Adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski admitted on CNN that the U.S. organized and supported Bin Laden and the other originators of “Al Qaeda” in the 1970s to fight the Soviets.

Brzezinski told Al Qaeda’s forefathers – the Mujahadin:

"We know of their deep belief in god – that they’re confident that their struggle will succeed. – That land over-there is yours – and you’ll go back to it some day, because your fight will prevail, and you’ll have your homes, your mosques, back again, because your cause is right, and god is on your side."

CIA director and Secretary of Defense Robert Gates confirmed in his memoir that the U.S. backed the Mujahadin in the 1970s.


the U.S. started backing Al Qaeda’s forefathers even before the Soviets invaded Afghanistan. As Brzezinski told Le Nouvel Observateur in a 1998 interview:
Question: The former director of the CIA, Robert Gates, stated in his memoirs [“From the Shadows”], that American intelligence services began to aid the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan 6 months before the Soviet intervention. In this period you were the national security adviser to President Carter. You therefore played a role in this affair. Is that correct?Brzezinski: Yes. According to the official version of history, CIA aid to the Mujahadeen began during 1980, that is to say, after the Soviet army invaded Afghanistan, 24 Dec 1979. But the reality, secretly guarded until now, is completely otherwise Indeed, it was July 3, 1979 that President Carter signed the first directive for secret aid to the opponents of the pro-Soviet regime in Kabul. And that very day, I wrote a note to the president in which I explained to him that in my opinion this aid was going to induce a Soviet military intervention.
***
Q: And neither do you regret having supported the Islamic fundamentalism, having given arms and advice to future terrorists?
B: What is most important to the history of the world? The Taliban or the collapse of the Soviet empire? Some stirred-up Moslems or the liberation of Central Europe and the end of the cold war?
The Washington Post reported in 2002:
The United States spent millions of dollars to supply Afghan schoolchildren with textbooks filled with violent images and militant Islamic teachings ….
The primers, which were filled with talk of jihad and featured drawings of guns, bullets, soldiers and mines, have served since then as the Afghan school system’s core curriculum. Even the Taliban used the American-produced books ….
The Council on Foreign Relations notes:
The 9/11 Commission report (PDF) released in 2004 said some of Pakistan’s religious schools or madrassas served as “incubators for violent extremism.” Since then, there has been much debate over madrassas and their connection to militancy.
***
New madrassas sprouted, funded and supported by Saudi Arabia and U.S. Central Intelligence Agency,where students were encouragedto join the Afghan resistance.

....
https://www.globalresearch.ca/sleepi...to-911/5303313
I've got real problems with Rep. Tlaib
But seems as far as the people who we should be upset with for making "mistakes", It seems like her supposed "mistake" over dates seems pretty insignificant compared to creating, arming and promoting Muslim terrorism (real and imagined btw).

AZRWinger 08-18-2021 07:59 PM

Re: Rashida Tlaib blasted over claim that US supported Taliban before it existed
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr wonder (Post 1007821)
https://www.globalresearch.ca/articl...ujahideen1.jpg

Ronald Reagan meets Afghan Mujahideen Commanders at the White House in 1985 (Reagan Archives)

https://www.globalresearch.ca/articl...n_camp1987.jpg

Front row, from left: Major Gen. Hamid Gul, director general of Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence Directorate (ISI), Director of Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Willian Webster; Deputy Director for Operations Clair George; an ISI colonel; and senior CIA official, Milt Bearden at a Mujahideen training camp in North-West Frontier Province of Pakistan in 1987. (source RAWA)

We Created Al Qaeda to Fight the Soviets in Afghanistan

Jimmy Carter’s National Security Adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski admitted on CNN that the U.S. organized and supported Bin Laden and the other originators of “Al Qaeda” in the 1970s to fight the Soviets.

Brzezinski told Al Qaeda’s forefathers – the Mujahadin:

"We know of their deep belief in god – that they’re confident that their struggle will succeed. – That land over-there is yours – and you’ll go back to it some day, because your fight will prevail, and you’ll have your homes, your mosques, back again, because your cause is right, and god is on your side."

CIA director and Secretary of Defense Robert Gates confirmed in his memoir that the U.S. backed the Mujahadin in the 1970s.


the U.S. started backing Al Qaeda’s forefathers even before the Soviets invaded Afghanistan. As Brzezinski told Le Nouvel Observateur in a 1998 interview:
Question: The former director of the CIA, Robert Gates, stated in his memoirs [“From the Shadows”], that American intelligence services began to aid the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan 6 months before the Soviet intervention. In this period you were the national security adviser to President Carter. You therefore played a role in this affair. Is that correct?Brzezinski: Yes. According to the official version of history, CIA aid to the Mujahadeen began during 1980, that is to say, after the Soviet army invaded Afghanistan, 24 Dec 1979. But the reality, secretly guarded until now, is completely otherwise Indeed, it was July 3, 1979 that President Carter signed the first directive for secret aid to the opponents of the pro-Soviet regime in Kabul. And that very day, I wrote a note to the president in which I explained to him that in my opinion this aid was going to induce a Soviet military intervention.
***
Q: And neither do you regret having supported the Islamic fundamentalism, having given arms and advice to future terrorists?
B: What is most important to the history of the world? The Taliban or the collapse of the Soviet empire? Some stirred-up Moslems or the liberation of Central Europe and the end of the cold war?
The Washington Post reported in 2002:
The United States spent millions of dollars to supply Afghan schoolchildren with textbooks filled with violent images and militant Islamic teachings ….
The primers, which were filled with talk of jihad and featured drawings of guns, bullets, soldiers and mines, have served since then as the Afghan school system’s core curriculum. Even the Taliban used the American-produced books ….
The Council on Foreign Relations notes:
The 9/11 Commission report (PDF) released in 2004 said some of Pakistan’s religious schools or madrassas served as “incubators for violent extremism.” Since then, there has been much debate over madrassas and their connection to militancy.
***
New madrassas sprouted, funded and supported by Saudi Arabia and U.S. Central Intelligence Agency,where students were encouragedto join the Afghan resistance.

....
https://www.globalresearch.ca/sleepi...to-911/5303313
I've got real problems with Rep. Tlaib
But seems as far as the people who we should be upset with for making "mistakes", It seems like her supposed "mistake" over dates seems pretty insignificant compared to creating, arming and promoting Muslim terrorism (real and imagined btw).

The problem is not only the chronology but the players are jumbled up to fit a false narrative. Osama got his start recruiting and fund raising for the Mujahadin fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan. Osama returned from the war as a hero despite having seen very little combat. Independent of the Mujahadin Osama started Al Qaeda as a militant organization promoting pan Arab ideals. After the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait threatened Osama's native Saudi Arabia his offer to protect the kingdom was rebuffed in favor of the US military. He ended up fleeing the Saudis for Sudan where he began organizing and underwriting terrorist attacks on the US. Later under U.S pressure the Sudanese government expelled him so he moved Al Qaeda operations planning to the Taliban controlled Afghanistan. So there is no evidence US support for the Mujahadin fighting the Soviets led to the creation of Al Qaeda. :o

saltwn 08-18-2021 10:48 PM

Re: Rashida Tlaib blasted over claim that US supported Taliban before it existed
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AZRWinger (Post 1007840)
The problem is not only the chronology but the players are jumbled up to fit a false narrative. Osama got his start recruiting and fund raising for the Mujahadin fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan. Osama returned from the war as a hero despite having seen very little combat. Independent of the Mujahadin Osama started Al Qaeda as a militant organization promoting pan Arab ideals. After the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait threatened Osama's native Saudi Arabia his offer to protect the kingdom was rebuffed in favor of the US military. He ended up fleeing the Saudis for Sudan where he began organizing and underwriting terrorist attacks on the US. Later under U.S pressure the Sudanese government expelled him so he moved Al Qaeda operations planning to the Taliban controlled Afghanistan. So there is no evidence US support for the Mujahadin fighting the Soviets led to the creation of Al Qaeda. :o

the claim @ the OP is that US supported the Taliban. That is true.

AZRWinger 08-19-2021 07:37 AM

Re: Rashida Tlaib blasted over claim that US supported Taliban before it existed
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by saltwn (Post 1007844)
the claim @ the OP is that US supported the Taliban. That is true.

No, you are confusing the Mujahadin and the Taliban, they are not the same.:rolls

cnredd 08-19-2021 12:25 PM

Re: Rashida Tlaib blasted over claim that US supported Taliban before it existed
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AZRWinger (Post 1007853)
No, you are confusing the Mujahadin and the Taliban, they are not the same.:rolls

Correct...

Some just want to be part of the "blame America" crew, so they're playing 493 degrees to Kevin Bacon with this...:(

Dog Man 08-19-2021 12:26 PM

Re: Rashida Tlaib blasted over claim that US supported Taliban before it existed
 
[quote=mr wonder;1007821][IMG]

Would the Taliban have allowed a woman to be in that meeting with them?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0