Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > US Congress & The Legislative Branch
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

US Congress & The Legislative Branch Discuss Republicans Rebuke Steve King but Face Vexing Question: Why Not Sooner? at the Political Forums; Republicans Rebuke Steve King but Face Vexing Question: Why Not Sooner? Representative Steve King of Iowa had his committee assignments ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2019, 02:12 AM
saltwn's Avatar
1966 Atlantic hurricane
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 85,009
Thanks: 56,370
Thanked 26,593 Times in 19,072 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Republicans Rebuke Steve King but Face Vexing Question: Why Not Sooner?

Republicans Rebuke Steve King but Face Vexing Question: Why Not Sooner?

Quote:
Representative Steve King of Iowa had his committee assignments revoked by House Republicans on Monday.

WASHINGTON — By the time a Republican challenged Representative Steve King of Iowa in the 2016 party primary, Mr. King had already courted far-right foreign leaders, proposed electric wiring atop a border wall to treat illegal immigrants like straying livestock, and said young migrants had “calves the size of cantaloupes because they’re hauling 75 pounds of marijuana across the desert.”

But in that race Mr. King had the help of fellow Republicans like the then-Gov. Terry Branstad and Senators Charles Grassley and Joni Ernst. Each of those Iowa Republicans overlooked Mr. King’s history of racist remarks and divisive conduct — well before his recent comments about “white supremacy” — and backed Mr. King’s re-election in the state’s most heavily conservative district.

Mr. King won handily.


Why indeed.

Read on at site.
__________________
Prince Phillip was one of the last of that greatest generation who kept the peace and built Western liberal freedom. ~Scott Morrison, PM Australia
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2019, 02:23 AM
saltwn's Avatar
1966 Atlantic hurricane
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 85,009
Thanks: 56,370
Thanked 26,593 Times in 19,072 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Republicans Rebuke Steve King but Face Vexing Question: Why Not Sooner?

comedy clip but it does list all the racist (you be the judge) things Steve King has said over a period of time.
enjoy
__________________
Prince Phillip was one of the last of that greatest generation who kept the peace and built Western liberal freedom. ~Scott Morrison, PM Australia
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2019, 06:49 AM
ShivaTD's Avatar
Progressive Libertarian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Immigrant to Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,429
Thanks: 1,492
Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,841 Posts
Default Re: Republicans Rebuke Steve King but Face Vexing Question: Why Not Sooner?

The more vexing question is why haven't Republicans in Congress rebuked President Trump for his highly racist comments and his self-admission to being a white nationalist?

At best we've had Republicans like former Speaker Paul Ryan comment that Trump's statements were "textbook racism" and then they promptly ignored it and went on down the road without actually condemning President Trump for being the racist that he's always been.
__________________
"I always had a rule, if a restaurant is dirty on the outside, it's dirty on the inside." Donald Trump

"I always had a rule, if the White House is dirty on the inside, it's dirty on the outside." ShivaTD

Based upon the corruption, brutality, inhumanity, immorality, dishonesty, and incompetence of the Trump administration the White House is the dirtiest house in America and there's no known cleanser that with remove the stains of the Trump Administration.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:13 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 13,423
Thanks: 11,741
Thanked 9,808 Times in 6,003 Posts
Default Re: Republicans Rebuke Steve King but Face Vexing Question: Why Not Sooner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
The more vexing question is why haven't Republicans in Congress rebuked President Trump for his highly racist comments and his self-admission to being a white nationalist?

At best we've had Republicans like former Speaker Paul Ryan comment that Trump's statements were "textbook racism" and then they promptly ignored it and went on down the road without actually condemning President Trump for being the racist that he's always been.
Highly racist....? please be specific, and exact. Not as viewed by your tinted glasses, but flat out racist comments.

King is a moron. Get rid of him and move on.
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:32 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,159
Thanks: 10,123
Thanked 7,438 Times in 4,249 Posts
Default Re: Republicans Rebuke Steve King but Face Vexing Question: Why Not Sooner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
The more vexing question is why haven't Republicans in Congress rebuked President Trump for his highly racist comments and his self-admission to being a white nationalist?

At best we've had Republicans like former Speaker Paul Ryan comment that Trump's statements were "textbook racism" and then they promptly ignored it and went on down the road without actually condemning President Trump for being the racist that he's always been.
Please show me where he proclaimed to be a "White Nationalist". I believe you have made this claim before in other threads and where thoroughly rebuked for it. You must be of the thought that if you say it enough times, people will begin to believe it. That is one of the tactics used by propagandists to alter reality to get people to believe their lies.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2019, 08:25 AM
ShivaTD's Avatar
Progressive Libertarian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Immigrant to Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,429
Thanks: 1,492
Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,841 Posts
Default Re: Republicans Rebuke Steve King but Face Vexing Question: Why Not Sooner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
Highly racist....? please be specific, and exact. Not as viewed by your tinted glasses, but flat out racist comments.

King is a moron. Get rid of him and move on.
Trump's attack on the Gold Star parents of the late Army Captain Humayun Khan because they're Muslims.

Quote:
Khizr Khan, the father of the late Army Captain Humayun Khan, spoke out against Trump’s bigoted rhetoric and disregard for civil liberties at the Democratic National Convention on July 28. It quickly became the most memorable moment of the convention.

Khan’s wife Ghazala Khan, who wears a Muslim head scarf, stood at his side during the speech but did not speak.

In response to the devastating speech, Trump seized on Ghazala Khan’s silence to insinuate that she was forbidden from speaking due to the couple’s Islamic faith.

“If you look at his wife, she was standing there. She had nothing to say. She probably, maybe she wasn’t allowed to have anything to say." Trump said in an interview with ABC News that first appeared on July 30.

Ghazala Khan explained in an op-ed in the Washington Post the following day that she could not speak because of grief over her son.
Trump condemned a federal judge stating that the judge, because he was of Mexican decent, was incapable of rendering a just decision in a case.

Quote:
Trump implied that Gonzalo Curiel, the federal judge presiding over a class action against the for-profit Trump University, could not fairly hear the case because of his Mexican heritage.

“He’s a Mexican,” Trump told CNN of Curiel. “We’re building a wall between here and Mexico. The answer is, he is giving us very unfair rulings — rulings that people can’t even believe.”

Curiel, it should be noted, is an American citizen who was born in Indiana. And as a prosecutor in the late 1990s, he went after Mexican drug cartels, making him a target for assassination by a Tijuana drug lord.
Of note we're not building Trump's wall.

More examples are provided at the following link but I felt it was important to cite numerous sources.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b03260bf777e83

Trump claimed that undocumented Hispanics that crossed the border unlawfully to apply for asylum, after being denied their right to apply for asylum at a US port of entry by the Trump Administration, were "infesting" our country.

Quote:
Responding to criticism of a policy that has led to more than 2,000 children being separated from their parents at the border, Trump tweeted that Democrats were to blame.

“They don’t care about crime and want illegal immigrants, no matter how bad they may be, to pour into and infest our country, like MS-13,” he wrote, referencing a violent criminal gang based in Central America.

Critics of Trump’s language argued that it was dehumanizing to use a term traditionally used for pests.
Democrats oppose unlawfully entry into the United States while Trump opposes lawful entry by refugees seeking asylum. Trump's opposition to allowing Hispanic refugees lawful entry into the United States is exemplified by the over 6,000 refugees in Mexico that have a right to apply for asylum and enter the United States lawfully.

Donald Trump Says Undocumented Immigrants 'Infest' U.S. | Time

Trump claims Mexico is sending is sending drug dealers, criminals, and rapists to the United States.

Quote:
[Mexico] are sending people that have lots of problems, and they are bringing those problems to us. They are bringing drugs, and bringing crime, and their rapists,” the business mogul said.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...atino-hispanic

First of all Mexico doesn't send anyone to live in the United States. This is a decision made by the individual and not by the government in Mexico. Additionally illegal immigrants from Mexico only commit about 60% of the crimes against persons or property when compared to those born in the United States and lawful Mexican immigrants only commit about 30% of the same crimes when compared to those born in America.

We won't even go into the fact that we have negative flow of Mexicans into the United States and the greatest influx of undocumented people in the United States is coming from Canada and not Mexico and the threat of terrorists entering the US is along our Northern border and not our Southern border.

Trump claims that countries with non-white populations are S-Hole countries.

Quote:
Trump Reportedly Calls Haiti, Africa 'S---hole Countries'
https://www.voanews.com/a/donald-tru...e/4204530.html

The examples are endless going back to the 1970's when Trump wouldn't lease apartments to blacks in New York. Or when Trump twice claimed (in different years and situations) that blacks were simply lazy and it wasn't their fault because it's a trait of all black people.

So I'm going to call it a day on this but if more examples are needed try just looking them up.
__________________
"I always had a rule, if a restaurant is dirty on the outside, it's dirty on the inside." Donald Trump

"I always had a rule, if the White House is dirty on the inside, it's dirty on the outside." ShivaTD

Based upon the corruption, brutality, inhumanity, immorality, dishonesty, and incompetence of the Trump administration the White House is the dirtiest house in America and there's no known cleanser that with remove the stains of the Trump Administration.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2019, 09:24 AM
lurch907's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Alaska, the greatest place on earth.
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,024
Thanks: 1,066
Thanked 3,652 Times in 2,009 Posts
Default Re: Republicans Rebuke Steve King but Face Vexing Question: Why Not Sooner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
The more vexing question is why haven't Republicans in Congress rebuked President Trump for his highly racist comments and his self-admission to being a white nationalist?.
Because like a great many of your posts this is only true in your mind. I've asked you several times lately to back your statements with evidence, so far nothing, but I'll try again. Please provide a quote of President Trump admitting he is a "white nationalist".
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lurch907 For This Useful Post:
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2019, 10:18 AM
ShivaTD's Avatar
Progressive Libertarian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Immigrant to Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,429
Thanks: 1,492
Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,841 Posts
Default Re: Republicans Rebuke Steve King but Face Vexing Question: Why Not Sooner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch907 View Post
Because like a great many of your posts this is only true in your mind. I've asked you several times lately to back your statements with evidence, so far nothing, but I'll try again. Please provide a quote of President Trump admitting he is a "white nationalist".
Quote:
You know what I am? I’m a nationalist, okay? I’m a nationalist. Nationalist. Nothing wrong. Use that word. Use that word." Donald Trump
In fact there is something wrong with the use of that word because it's a reference to White Nationalism where White (Protestant) Males have controlled the social, economic, and political institutions in the United States since before the nation even existed. It isn't a reference to blacks, Hispanics, Native-Americans, Muslims, women or anyone else in America because none of those demographic groups have ever controlled the social, economic, or political institutions in America.

When Trump refers to "Make America Great Again" it's a reference to white supremacy in the United States because our entire past is based upon White Male Protestant Supremacy. In fact the phrase "Make America Great Again" is attributed to the KKK from decades ago which is why the KKK and Neo-Nazis supported Donald Trump to begin with.
__________________
"I always had a rule, if a restaurant is dirty on the outside, it's dirty on the inside." Donald Trump

"I always had a rule, if the White House is dirty on the inside, it's dirty on the outside." ShivaTD

Based upon the corruption, brutality, inhumanity, immorality, dishonesty, and incompetence of the Trump administration the White House is the dirtiest house in America and there's no known cleanser that with remove the stains of the Trump Administration.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2019, 10:28 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 13,423
Thanks: 11,741
Thanked 9,808 Times in 6,003 Posts
Default Re: Republicans Rebuke Steve King but Face Vexing Question: Why Not Sooner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
Trump's attack on the Gold Star parents of the late Army Captain Humayun Khan because they're Muslims.

Trump condemned a federal judge stating that the judge, because he was of Mexican decent, was incapable of rendering a just decision in a case.

Of note we're not building Trump's wall.

More examples are provided at the following link but I felt it was important to cite numerous sources.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b03260bf777e83

Trump claimed that undocumented Hispanics that crossed the border unlawfully to apply for asylum, after being denied their right to apply for asylum at a US port of entry by the Trump Administration, were "infesting" our country.

Democrats oppose unlawfully entry into the United States while Trump opposes lawful entry by refugees seeking asylum. Trump's opposition to allowing Hispanic refugees lawful entry into the United States is exemplified by the over 6,000 refugees in Mexico that have a right to apply for asylum and enter the United States lawfully.

Donald Trump Says Undocumented Immigrants 'Infest' U.S. | Time

Trump claims Mexico is sending is sending drug dealers, criminals, and rapists to the United States.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...atino-hispanic

First of all Mexico doesn't send anyone to live in the United States. This is a decision made by the individual and not by the government in Mexico. Additionally illegal immigrants from Mexico only commit about 60% of the crimes against persons or property when compared to those born in the United States and lawful Mexican immigrants only commit about 30% of the same crimes when compared to those born in America.

We won't even go into the fact that we have negative flow of Mexicans into the United States and the greatest influx of undocumented people in the United States is coming from Canada and not Mexico and the threat of terrorists entering the US is along our Northern border and not our Southern border.

Trump claims that countries with non-white populations are S-Hole countries.


https://www.voanews.com/a/donald-tru...e/4204530.html

The examples are endless going back to the 1970's when Trump wouldn't lease apartments to blacks in New York. Or when Trump twice claimed (in different years and situations) that blacks were simply lazy and it wasn't their fault because it's a trait of all black people.

So I'm going to call it a day on this but if more examples are needed try just looking them up.
Perhaps you need to look up what racism really is, because though these are very insensitive comments, and likely stereotyping, they are not racist.

But that doesn't work for your agenda, does it?
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2019, 10:33 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 13,423
Thanks: 11,741
Thanked 9,808 Times in 6,003 Posts
Default Re: Republicans Rebuke Steve King but Face Vexing Question: Why Not Sooner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
In fact there is something wrong with the use of that word because it's a reference to White Nationalism where White (Protestant) Males have controlled the social, economic, and political institutions in the United States since before the nation even existed. It isn't a reference to blacks, Hispanics, Native-Americans, Muslims, women or anyone else in America because none of those demographic groups have ever controlled the social, economic, or political institutions in America.

When Trump refers to "Make America Great Again" it's a reference to white supremacy in the United States because our entire past is based upon White Male Protestant Supremacy. In fact the phrase "Make America Great Again" is attributed to the KKK from decades ago which is why the KKK and Neo-Nazis supported Donald Trump to begin with.
FALSE. The word Nationalism does not have the word 'white in front of it, and it does not infer the word white in front of it. It is a construct of the liberal left to re-define words that already exist, to color a person's statement so that it may be used against them.

The 'Make America Great Again', because it was used on a sign by a racist organization, suddenly cannot be used by anyone else. How about the word Jew? That's been on many signs in a negative context, shall we ban that word?
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GottaGo For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
but, face, king, not, question, rebuke, republicans, sooner, steve, vexing, why

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0