Political Wrinkles

Political Wrinkles (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/)
-   US Congress & The Legislative Branch (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/us-congress-legislative-branch/)
-   -   WH: 79 Cloture Votes Used Against Trump Nominees Compared to 17 in Past 4 Administrat (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/us-congress-legislative-branch/54557-wh-79-cloture-votes-used-against-trump-nominees-compared-17-past-4-administrat.html)

cnredd 03-19-2018 01:30 PM

WH: 79 Cloture Votes Used Against Trump Nominees Compared to 17 in Past 4 Administrat
 
How can you tell the Dems are obstructionists?...

The media never calls them "obstructionists"...:mad

WH: 79 Cloture Votes Used Against Trump Nominees Compared to 17 in Past 4 Administrations Combined

Quote:

White House Legislative Affairs Director Marc Short complained Friday of Senate Democrats’ obstruction of President Donald Trump’s nominees, saying at this rate, it will take 11 and a half years for his nominees to be given an up-or-down vote.

In the last four administrations combined, the Senate held 17 cloture votes of presidential nominees compared to the 79 cloture vote in the first 14 months of the Trump administration, Short noted.

“At this point, in the past four administrations combined -- the last four administrations -- the Senate had conducted 17 cloture votes combined - cloture vote, in essence, being a filibuster on a nominee. Seventeen cloture votes in the last four administrations combined, at this point,” Short said.

“Today, the Senate has had 79 cloture votes in the first 14 months of our administration. Seventeen, over the last four administrations, versus 79 in the first 14 months of our administration. That is roughly five times the number of the last four administrations combined,” Short said.

He accused Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) of “weaponizing a Senate procedure and demanding cloture votes on our nominees that he even eventually supports.”

“Eleven of the president's nominees have been approved without a single dissenting vote, yet still forced to go through a 30-hours of debate to essentially slow down the Senate calendar simply for the purpose of obstruction. Even Senate Democrats have begun to call this out and to say it is getting to the point of ridiculous,” Short said“At this rate, the United States Senate would take 11 and a half years to confirm our nominees - 11 and a half years to confirm our nominees, Short added.

GetAClue 03-19-2018 03:15 PM

Re: WH: 79 Cloture Votes Used Against Trump Nominees Compared to 17 in Past 4 Adminis
 
Quote:

Even Senate Democrats have begun to call this out and to say it is getting to the point of ridiculous,”
I wonder if they are aware that they don't have to follow Schumer's lead. They can step out and do what is right. But my guess is that Schumer would retaliate against them by stripping them of committee seats or campaign funding.

AZRWinger 03-19-2018 07:37 PM

Re: WH: 79 Cloture Votes Used Against Trump Nominees Compared to 17 in Past 4 Adminis
 
Yes, the media would go berserk if this happened to a Democrat President. But Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell deserves the lion's share of the blame not only for failing to deal with the Democrats childish obstructionism confirming appointments but for running the Senate like a 10 hour per week part time job. The ramifications of this laziness are apparent in the Senate resorting to another omnibus spending bill effectively funding Democrat priorities instead of acting on the regular order appropriation bills passed by the House. :o

President Trump needs to conduct a full scale campaign to shake Mitch McConnell out of his lassitude. It foolish to continue to trust him to do his job. :thumbsup

RedState 03-19-2018 11:51 PM

Re: WH: 79 Cloture Votes Used Against Trump Nominees Compared to 17 in Past 4 Adminis
 
Good. Not only is tRUmp nominating unqualified people, he is illegitimate. And everyone he nominates should be suspect.

RedState 03-20-2018 12:06 AM

Re: WH: 79 Cloture Votes Used Against Trump Nominees Compared to 17 in Past 4 Adminis
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GetAClue (Post 931199)
I wonder if they are aware that they don't have to follow Schumer's lead. They can step out and do what is right. But my guess is that Schumer would retaliate against them by stripping them of committee seats or campaign funding.

I'm sure you felt the same way after Republicans obstructed and refused to even hold hearings for Obama's Supreme Court pick.

RedState 03-20-2018 12:10 AM

Re: WH: 79 Cloture Votes Used Against Trump Nominees Compared to 17 in Past 4 Adminis
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cnredd (Post 931197)
How can you tell the Dems are obstructionists?...

The media never calls them "obstructionists"...:mad

WH: 79 Cloture Votes Used Against Trump Nominees Compared to 17 in Past 4 Administrations Combined

Misleading isn't it? being in the minority only gives you so many tools. The Republicans under Obama didn't have to use cloture. They obstructed his nominees by simply being in the Majority. Of course tRUmp could just nominate people who deserved to be in government. Instead he nominates people he sees kissing his butt on Fox news and his corrupt friends.

GetAClue 03-20-2018 06:09 AM

Re: WH: 79 Cloture Votes Used Against Trump Nominees Compared to 17 in Past 4 Adminis
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedState (Post 931224)
I'm sure you felt the same way after Republicans obstructed and refused to even hold hearings for Obama's Supreme Court pick.

Once again, they were following the "Biden Rule". It was Biden that made the suggestion that SCOTUS picks should not be made during an election year. The Republicans were simply following his lead.

GetAClue 03-20-2018 06:12 AM

Re: WH: 79 Cloture Votes Used Against Trump Nominees Compared to 17 in Past 4 Adminis
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedState (Post 931225)
Misleading isn't it? being in the minority only gives you so many tools. The Republicans under Obama didn't have to use cloture. They obstructed his nominees by simply being in the Majority. Of course tRUmp could just nominate people who deserved to be in government. Instead he nominates people he sees kissing his butt on Fox news and his corrupt friends.

Obviously, they didn't obstruct very many. 17 in the last 4 administrations or to put it another way, 17 in the previous 28 years? You need to find yourself a better argument.

ShivaTD 03-20-2018 07:31 AM

Re: WH: 79 Cloture Votes Used Against Trump Nominees Compared to 17 in Past 4 Adminis
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cnredd (Post 931197)
How can you tell the Dems are obstructionists?...

The media never calls them "obstructionists"...:mad

WH: 79 Cloture Votes Used Against Trump Nominees Compared to 17 in Past 4 Administrations Combined

At no time in recent history has a president nominated as many unqualified people for appointments. What amazes me is that Republicans in the Senate have pushed through the approval of so many unqualified people. Betsy DeVos was confirmed as Sect of Education even though she had no academic knowledge or experience in education and couldn't even answer fundamental questions about education during her confirmation hearing. Ben Carson was nominated and confirmed to head HUD with no experience whatsoever. Even worse than that Trump has nominated individuals that have a record of hostile opposition to the positions they're nominated for. Congress created agencies like the EPA to protect the environment and Trump's nomination (and Senate confirmation) of Scott Pruitt, that has repeatedly called for the elimination of the EPA and filed lawsuits against it 13 times, makes no sense to the American people.

Trump and his minion complain about the confirmation process but ignore that Trump has failed to submit nominations for more positions than have been confirmed or are awaiting confirmation.

Quote:

As of Saturday, there are more key government positions for which Trump has not nominated anyone than there are confirmed appointments. Out of 626 key positions, 241 have been confirmed, 136 have nominees waiting for confirmation, and 245 are sitting unfilled with no nominee.

Those unfilled positions include “the IRS commissioner, the ambassador to South Korea, the census director, the deputy secretary of commerce — fundamental jobs that involve central issues of governing,” Max Stier, who runs the nonprofit Partnership for Public Service, told the Washington Post.

While the White House says Trump “came to Washington to drain the swamp” and “make government more efficient,” leaving these positions vacant threatens to bring essential government services to a screeching halt.
https://shareblue.com/trump-has-fail...is-government/

Add to that the high turnover rate in top positions that generally require Senate confirmation and the chaos of the Trump administrations problems with Senate confirmations becomes even worse.

Quote:

President Trump insists his isn't a White House in chaos, but it's hard to deny the near constant churn of key aides, including Tuesday's announced departure of economic adviser Gary Cohn. A full 43 percent of top-level positions in the Trump White House have seen turnover. That is not normal.

In fact, the Trump White House has had more turnover among senior aides in the first 13 1/2 months of Trump's term than his four most recent predecessors had after two years.
https://www.npr.org/2018/03/07/59137...-advisers-left

There's really one simple problem. Donald Trump not only has no knowledge of government or the real issues facing America but Donald Trump also lacks any real executive skills. Donald Trump is the problem and not members of the US Senate.

AZRWinger 03-20-2018 10:29 AM

Re: WH: 79 Cloture Votes Used Against Trump Nominees Compared to 17 in Past 4 Adminis
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShivaTD (Post 931233)
At no time in recent history has a president nominated as many unqualified people for appointments. What amazes me is that Republicans in the Senate have pushed through the approval of so many unqualified people. Betsy DeVos was confirmed as Sect of Education even though she had no academic knowledge or experience in education and couldn't even answer fundamental questions about education during her confirmation hearing. Ben Carson was nominated and confirmed to head HUD with no experience whatsoever. Even worse than that Trump has nominated individuals that have a record of hostile opposition to the positions they're nominated for. Congress created agencies like the EPA to protect the environment and Trump's nomination (and Senate confirmation) of Scott Pruitt, that has repeatedly called for the elimination of the EPA and filed lawsuits against it 13 times, makes no sense to the American people.

Trump and his minion complain about the confirmation process but ignore that Trump has failed to submit nominations for more positions than have been confirmed or are awaiting confirmation.


https://shareblue.com/trump-has-fail...is-government/

Add to that the high turnover rate in top positions that generally require Senate confirmation and the chaos of the Trump administrations problems with Senate confirmations becomes even worse.


https://www.npr.org/2018/03/07/59137...-advisers-left

There's really one simple problem. Donald Trump not only has no knowledge of government or the real issues facing America but Donald Trump also lacks any real executive skills. Donald Trump is the problem and not members of the US Senate.

Agreed, there is a simple problem at work here, Resistance zealotry. Not a word about Senate Democrats acting as partisan obstructionists by abusing the cloture rules. :rolls


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0