Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > US Congress & The Legislative Branch
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

US Congress & The Legislative Branch Discuss Hilarious! Steny Hoyer Perfectly Embodies Dems' #SchumerShutdown Shenanigans at the Political Forums; #SchumerShutdown becomes top trending hashtag among Russian bots on Twitter is anyone surprised that Trump is still coordinating with Russia? ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-22-2018, 01:05 PM
RedState's Avatar
Somewhat Stable Genius
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,384
Thanks: 1,035
Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,156 Posts
Default Re: Hilarious! Steny Hoyer Perfectly Embodies Dems' #SchumerShutdown Shenanigans

#SchumerShutdown becomes top trending hashtag among Russian bots on Twitter

is anyone surprised that Trump is still coordinating with Russia?


Hamilton 68: Tracking Putin's Propaganda Push... To America
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-22-2018, 02:04 PM
GetAClue's Avatar
Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,894
Thanks: 2,518
Thanked 1,606 Times in 925 Posts
Default Re: Hilarious! Steny Hoyer Perfectly Embodies Dems' #SchumerShutdown Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedState View Post
#SchumerShutdown becomes top trending hashtag among Russian bots on Twitter

is anyone surprised that Trump is still coordinating with Russia?


Hamilton 68: Tracking Putin's Propaganda Push... To America
Is anyone surprised that you are still accusing someone of an action you have absolutely no evidence to support?
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 01-22-2018, 06:28 PM
RedState's Avatar
Somewhat Stable Genius
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,384
Thanks: 1,035
Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,156 Posts
Default Re: Hilarious! Steny Hoyer Perfectly Embodies Dems' #SchumerShutdown Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
Is anyone surprised that you are still accusing someone of an action you have absolutely no evidence to support?
Man how much evidence do I have to post before you stop claiming that there is no evidence?


Do you live under a bridge? Do you collect tolls from weary travelers who use said bridge?
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 01-22-2018, 07:01 PM
Scholar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,365
Thanks: 310
Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,019 Posts
Default Re: Hilarious! Steny Hoyer Perfectly Embodies Dems' #SchumerShutdown Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedState View Post
Man how much evidence do I have to post before you stop claiming that there is no evidence?


Do you live under a bridge? Do you collect tolls from weary travelers who use said bridge?
Most of us here live in the real world, not the hate filled fantasy you have created for yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 01-22-2018, 07:30 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,216
Thanks: 9,965
Thanked 15,064 Times in 9,133 Posts
Post Re: Hilarious! Steny Hoyer Perfectly Embodies Dems' #SchumerShutdown Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWager View Post
Hey, what does Trump think when it comes to government shutdowns?

Quote:
President Trump’s comments about the 2013 government shutdown during the Obama administration have resurfaced as the federal government races toward a shutdown of its own.

Trump spoke to “Fox & Friends” in 2013 and was asked who would be fired during a government shutdown, as shown in a clip posted by "Morning Joe."

“Well, if you say who gets fired it always has to be the top,” Trump said. “I mean, problems start from the top and they have to get solved from the top and the president’s the leader. And he’s got to get everybody in a room and he’s got to lead.”
He said that further down in history, “when they talk about the government shutdown, they’re going to be talking about the president of the United States, who the president was at that time.”

“They’re not going to be talking about who was the head of the House, the head the Senate, who’s running things in Washington,” Trump said.


“So I really think the pressure is on the president,” he added.

Trump has said he will blame Democrats for a possible government shutdown, saying on Thursday that “it’s up to the Democrats.”

Government funding is set to run out at midnight on Friday.

Trump has invited Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) to the White House to try and strike a deal over government spending.

Trump’s past tweets about the 2013 shutdown have also resurfaced in recent days, including one where he said Republicans “should not be afraid of a government shutdown.”

Trump's comments blaming Obama for 2013 government shutdown resurface
Oh right.
Amazing how people on the right completely ignore this.

Giving Trump credit for everything good under the sun? Repubs have no problems with that and embrace it whole-heartedly.
Recognizing where fault lies for government shutdown? Given Trump's own historic words explicitly showing who should be blamed???
Nope. They can't see it...


Quote:
According to a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll conducted Saturday and Sunday, a combined 48 percent of voters said Trump (34 percent) and Republicans in Congress (15 percent) were to blame for the shutdown — more than the 35 percent who said congressional Democrats bore most of the blame.

And a majority of voters, 53 percent, thought President Donald Trump hadn’t done enough to bring the parties together — compared to only 29 percent who thought Trump had done enough.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...mocrats-357357

Quite frankly, Congress and the President's paychecks and healthcare should be in "shutdown" until it's resolved.

But "fortunately" ( ) for how things work in the real world, it's our military men and women who get screwed during this time.
https://www.snopes.com/congress-paid...-not-shutdown/
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foundit66 For This Useful Post:
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 01-23-2018, 07:31 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,894
Thanks: 2,518
Thanked 1,606 Times in 925 Posts
Default Re: Hilarious! Steny Hoyer Perfectly Embodies Dems' #SchumerShutdown Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
Amazing how people on the right completely ignore this.

Giving Trump credit for everything good under the sun? Repubs have no problems with that and embrace it whole-heartedly.
Recognizing where fault lies for government shutdown? Given Trump's own historic words explicitly showing who should be blamed???
Nope. They can't see it...



https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...mocrats-357357

Quite frankly, Congress and the President's paychecks and healthcare should be in "shutdown" until it's resolved.

But "fortunately" ( ) for how things work in the real world, it's our military men and women who get screwed during this time.
https://www.snopes.com/congress-paid...-not-shutdown/
What does something Trump said prior, have to do with the current situation? He had already indicated a desire to continue funding the government had the Senate Democrats been willing to vote to end debate to allow the CR to come to the floor for a vote. And even if he did want a shutdown, that in no way prevents Democrats from allowing the bill to reach the floor.

Personally, I could care less if the government shuts down for a few days, weeks, months. However, they need to pass legislation to continue to pay our military during these ridiculous party temper tantrums. Outside of that, shut it down. If nothing else, it saves that taxpayers a little money.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 01-23-2018, 09:36 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,216
Thanks: 9,965
Thanked 15,064 Times in 9,133 Posts
Default Re: Hilarious! Steny Hoyer Perfectly Embodies Dems' #SchumerShutdown Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
What does something Trump said prior, have to do with the current situation?
For people comfortable with hypocrisy and lack of personal accountability, absolutely nothing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
He had already indicated a desire to continue funding the government had the Senate Democrats been willing to vote to end debate to allow the CR to come to the floor for a vote. And even if he did want a shutdown, that in no way prevents Democrats from allowing the bill to reach the floor.
And this is different from the previous situation in what way?
Other than the fact that it's Trump setting a standard for other people that he refuses to follow for himself...


Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
Personally, I could care less if the government shuts down for a few days, weeks, months. However, they need to pass legislation to continue to pay our military during these ridiculous party temper tantrums. Outside of that, shut it down. If nothing else, it saves that taxpayers a little money.

No, it really doesn't...

https://www.politico.com/agenda/stor...s-money-000624
But in reality it doesn't quite work like that. Budget experts and past analyses by the White House budget office have found that a shutdown hurts the U.S.’ finances in a number of ways. Furloughed workers almost always get paid retroactively for the time they were out—which means taxpayers are laying out money without getting any work in return. Museums and national parks can’t collect fees and revenues from other sources like gift shops. Perhaps most importantly, federal workers spend thousands of cumulative work hours preparing for the event and recovering from it, literally shutting down their systems and then restarting them once the government reopens—paid work that is utterly unnecessary to the normal business of running the country, and sucks time away from safety inspections, or reviewing research grants, or whatever their actual responsibilities are.

Quantifying the exact cost to the government is difficult, in part because every shutdown is different. Between November 1995 and January 1996, the government shut down twice for a total of 27 days as Democrats and Republicans clashed over Medicare funding, among other issues. A subsequent analysis conducted by the White House’s Office of Management and Budget estimated that both shutdowns together cost the government $1.4 billion—more than $2 billion today after adjusting for inflation. “That's not monopoly money,” then-President Bill Clinton said in January 1996 as the two parties were on the verge of yet another shutdown. “Shutting down the government again would be unbelievably irresponsible.”
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foundit66 For This Useful Post:
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 01-24-2018, 07:04 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,894
Thanks: 2,518
Thanked 1,606 Times in 925 Posts
Default Re: Hilarious! Steny Hoyer Perfectly Embodies Dems' #SchumerShutdown Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
For people comfortable with hypocrisy and lack of personal accountability, absolutely nothing.
So then Democrats shouldn't have a problem with it as without hypocrisy and hate of those that disagree with them, they literally have nothing else.


Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
And this is different from the previous situation in what way?
Other than the fact that it's Trump setting a standard for other people that he refuses to follow for himself...
What previous situation are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post

No, it really doesn't...

https://www.politico.com/agenda/stor...s-money-000624
But in reality it doesn't quite work like that. Budget experts and past analyses by the White House budget office have found that a shutdown hurts the U.S.’ finances in a number of ways. Furloughed workers almost always get paid retroactively for the time they were out—which means taxpayers are laying out money without getting any work in return. Museums and national parks can’t collect fees and revenues from other sources like gift shops. Perhaps most importantly, federal workers spend thousands of cumulative work hours preparing for the event and recovering from it, literally shutting down their systems and then restarting them once the government reopens—paid work that is utterly unnecessary to the normal business of running the country, and sucks time away from safety inspections, or reviewing research grants, or whatever their actual responsibilities are.

Quantifying the exact cost to the government is difficult, in part because every shutdown is different. Between November 1995 and January 1996, the government shut down twice for a total of 27 days as Democrats and Republicans clashed over Medicare funding, among other issues. A subsequent analysis conducted by the White House’s Office of Management and Budget estimated that both shutdowns together cost the government $1.4 billion—more than $2 billion today after adjusting for inflation. “That's not monopoly money,” then-President Bill Clinton said in January 1996 as the two parties were on the verge of yet another shutdown. “Shutting down the government again would be unbelievably irresponsible.”
You may be right on that front. However, it does not affect the general public to the extent that many on the left and the right make it out to. Other that those not going into the office for a few days, most people wouldn't know the government was shutdown if someone didn't tell them.

Unless of course Obama is in charge where he actively made the shutdown painful to everyone possible like putting up barricades at open air monuments. I believe that Mick Mullvany classified that as "weaponizing" the shutdown. That seems like a pretty good description.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
#schumershutdown, dems, embodies, hilarious, hoyer, perfectly, shenanigans, steny

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0