Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Discussion > Religion & Philosophy
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Religion & Philosophy Discuss Methodist church sign reads: 選 was a stranger and you at the General Discussion; The building is adjacent to the the U.S. Capitol and the Supreme Court. Warren Gill, a spokesperson for the General ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2018, 07:49 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 78,206
Thanks: 54,581
Thanked 25,886 Times in 18,453 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Methodist church sign reads: 選 was a stranger and you




Quote:
The building is adjacent to the the U.S. Capitol and the Supreme Court.
Quote:
Warren Gill, a spokesperson for the General Board of Church and Society, the proprietor of the building, told The Hill on Thursday that the group "posted the sign to highlight the disconnect between the words of Jesus and the actions of the U.S. government."
Quote:
"The United Methodist Church has made clear that welcoming sojourners is central to our faithfulness to scripture," Gill said. "I spoke with migrants on a recent trip to the U.S.-Mexico border. People are fleeing authentic and disturbing violence, violence most Americans only see in fiction. ... People are fleeing this violence and were welcomed at the border with tear gas."

God bless those who are persecuted for righteousness sake...mat 5:10





Methodist church sign reads: 選 was a stranger and you tear gassed me. ...Wait a second
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saltwn For This Useful Post:
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2018, 10:03 PM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,663
Thanks: 7,766
Thanked 10,710 Times in 6,047 Posts
Default Re: Methodist church sign reads: 選 was a stranger and you

I'm betting you would repel a stranger who broke into your house through a window.

WE, the USA, ARE NOT A THEOCRACY.
But feel free to spout religion when it suits your piety.
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2018, 01:43 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 78,206
Thanks: 54,581
Thanked 25,886 Times in 18,453 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Methodist church sign reads: 選 was a stranger and you

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
I'm betting you would repel a stranger who broke into your house through a window.

WE, the USA, ARE NOT A THEOCRACY.
But feel free to spout religion when it suits your piety.
The Republican party claims kinship with certain religious leaders and organizations by promoting ridiculous 'war on Christmas' charges, and continually uses the Christian religion and its members to bolster its 'righteous' claims of superiority to other political beliefs. I can't count the number of times I've heard people claim, "I am a Christian, therefore I am a Republican."
But when it comes to human decency and even upholding the actual law in the face of current propaganda, there is nary a peep from your party of religious and moral high ground. Why is that?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2018, 07:12 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 12,048
Thanks: 9,875
Thanked 8,011 Times in 5,114 Posts
Default Re: Methodist church sign reads: 選 was a stranger and you

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
The Republican party claims kinship with certain religious leaders and organizations by promoting ridiculous 'war on Christmas' charges, and continually uses the Christian religion and its members to bolster its 'righteous' claims of superiority to other political beliefs. I can't count the number of times I've heard people claim, "I am a Christian, therefore I am a Republican."
But when it comes to human decency and even upholding the actual law in the face of current propaganda, there is nary a peep from your party of religious and moral high ground. Why is that?
Your comparison between the two subjects is ridiculous, and I have never heard anyone state "I am a Christian, therefore I am a Republican." NEVER. (I don't use that word loosely)

According to you, and the OP, there is a statement from a 'religious and moral high ground' right there in the picture.

I have to wonder what their statement would be if illegal immigrants were throwing debris at their congregation and Pastor with intent to harm.... (snide comment deleted)
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GottaGo For This Useful Post:
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2018, 08:21 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 78,206
Thanks: 54,581
Thanked 25,886 Times in 18,453 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Methodist church sign reads: 選 was a stranger and you

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
Your comparison between the two subjects is ridiculous, and I have never heard anyone state "I am a Christian, therefore I am a Republican." NEVER. (I don't use that word loosely)

According to you, and the OP, there is a statement from a 'religious and moral high ground' right there in the picture.

I have to wonder what their statement would be if illegal immigrants were throwing debris at their congregation and Pastor with intent to harm.... (snide comment deleted)
The comment on the sign is to remind hypocritical Christians of scripture that compels them to be human. If you haven't heard the Christian comment come to Idaho. for that matter, southern baptists and charismatic in Florida and Arkansas pretty often preach Republicanisms from the pulpit. not every Sunday but they do mention it mostly because of abortion and gays.
In return, the GOP fights for their causes such as ignoring the civil rights of a person in business practice and forming laws attempting to outlaw homosexuality/ gay marriage.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2018, 08:48 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,259
Thanks: 3,994
Thanked 2,851 Times in 1,684 Posts
Default Re: Methodist church sign reads: 選 was a stranger and you

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
The comment on the sign is to remind hypocritical Christians of scripture that compels them to be human. If you haven't heard the Christian comment come to Idaho. for that matter, southern baptists and charismatic in Florida and Arkansas pretty often preach Republicanisms from the pulpit. not every Sunday but they do mention it mostly because of abortion and gays.
In return, the GOP fights for their causes such as ignoring the civil rights of a person in business practice and forming laws attempting to outlaw homosexuality/ gay marriage.
Do you even believe half of what you post? You are good a throwing around a lot of unfounded accusations simply because you disagree with those on the other side of political issues.

If you wish others to take you seriously, you should really stop with the nonsensical practice of painting Republicans and Christians with such a wide brush. With posts like this, you are quickly becoming the laughing stock of this forum.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2018, 09:01 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 78,206
Thanks: 54,581
Thanked 25,886 Times in 18,453 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Methodist church sign reads: 選 was a stranger and you

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
Do you even believe half of what you post? You are good a throwing around a lot of unfounded accusations simply because you disagree with those on the other side of political issues.

If you wish others to take you seriously, you should really stop with the nonsensical practice of painting Republicans and Christians with such a wide brush. With posts like this, you are quickly becoming the laughing stock of this forum.
Republicans claim to be the moral party. Is that not true?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2018, 09:03 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,259
Thanks: 3,994
Thanked 2,851 Times in 1,684 Posts
Default Re: Methodist church sign reads: 選 was a stranger and you

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
Republicans claim to be the moral party. Is that not true?
I don't know, ask a Republican.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2018, 09:06 AM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,663
Thanks: 7,766
Thanked 10,710 Times in 6,047 Posts
Default Re: Methodist church sign reads: 選 was a stranger and you

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
The comment on the sign is to remind hypocritical Christians of scripture that compels them to be human. If you haven't heard the Christian comment come to Idaho. for that matter, southern baptists and charismatic in Florida and Arkansas pretty often preach Republicanisms from the pulpit. not every Sunday but they do mention it mostly because of abortion and gays.
In return, the GOP fights for their causes such as ignoring the civil rights of a person in business practice and forming laws attempting to outlaw homosexuality/ gay marriage.
Quit conflating.

GottaGO and Get-a-Clue already said it well so I won't.

Get this straight lady,,,;
I'm not a Republican. I'm and independent CONSERVATIVE.
Big Difference,,; HUGE actually

Please put away your sloppy loopy big brush with which you broadly paint everybody with whom you disagree.
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2018, 09:24 AM
Lumara's Avatar
Belly Dance Queen
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Great Smoky Mountains
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,463
Thanks: 3,330
Thanked 2,976 Times in 1,477 Posts
Default Re: Methodist church sign reads: 選 was a stranger and you

Quote:
2 Chronicles 14:7 King James Version (KJV)

7 Therefore he said unto Judah, Let us build these cities, and make about them walls, and towers, gates, and bars, while the land is yet before us; because we have sought the Lord our God, we have sought him, and he hath given us rest on every side. So they built and prospered.
The Bible contains many verses about building walls, and it doesn't ever say walls are a bad thing.

Quote:
Building a "great wall" between the U.S. and Mexico to keep out illegal immigrants has been a centerpiece of President elect, and now President Trump's campaign. This subject gained momentum back in February 2016 when Pope Francis (in a veiled shot at Mr. Trump) said, "A person who thinks only about building walls, wherever they may be, and not building bridges, is not Christian. This is not the gospel." The Pope has been joined in the U.S. by the liberal media, Hollywood, and millions of others in condemning a "great border wall." SO.... what does the Bible teach on this? Would God/Jesus build a border wall?

You might be surprised to learn that the Bible is FILLED with verses speaking of walls. The words "wall/walls" are used 245 times in the Bible. Many of these are speaking of walls somewhat like a "border wall." Walls were nearly always built around cities in the Bible. Many were HUGE (Deut 3:5)! It is said that the wall surrounding Babylon was 387' high and 87' thick! The Hebrew word "chowmah" is most often used for "wall" in the Old Testament, and Strong's defines it as "a wall of protection." This was the primary use for walls; for protection from those who lived outside the city (as well as from wild animals). They kept unauthorized people from entering the city, and also protected the people of the city from attack.

This sounds very similar to why President Trump and many others want to build a wall between the U.S. and Mexico, doesn't it? But, the question remains, did God approve of doing this? It seems clear that He did. The clearest example that most use is found in the book of Nehemiah. In Chapter 1, Nehemiah received word that "The wall of Jerusalem is also broken down and its gates are burned with fire." Upon hearing this, Nehemiah fasted and prayed to God. Shortly afterwards, Nehemiah made a request to the king to return to to Jerusalem and rebuild what had been destroyed, and the king granted his request. After Nehemiah arrived and surveyed the damage by night, (Neh 2:17-18) records him saying to the people:

"Then said I unto them, Ye see the distress that we are in, how Jerusalem lieth waste, and the gates thereof are burned with fire: come, and let us build up the wall of Jerusalem, that we be no more a reproach. (18) Then I told them of the hand of my God which was good upon me; as also the king's words that he had spoken unto me. And they said, Let us rise up and build. So they strengthened their hands for this good work."

Nehemiah clearly believes that God is behind this work to rebuild the wall. He says as much in (Neh 2:20) saying, "The God of heaven, he will prosper us; therefore we his servants will arise and build..." Chapters 3-6 record the building of the wall, concluding with (Neh 6:15-16) saying, "So the wall was finished in the twenty and fifth day of the month Elul, in fifty and two days. (16) And it came to pass, that when all our enemies heard thereof, and all the heathen that were about us saw these things, they were much cast down in their own eyes: for they perceived that this work was wrought of our God."
Would God/Jesus build a border wall?
__________________
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.

Fact: There is no such thing as banning abortion; there is only banning safe and legal abortion.

How can you tell that someone is a vegan? Because they will f*cking tell you.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lumara For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
and, church, methodist, reads, sign, stranger, was, you

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0