Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Discussion > Religion & Philosophy
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Religion & Philosophy Discuss Pope washes feet of Muslim migrants, says ‘We are brothers’ at the General Discussion; Originally Posted by foundit66 I think most Christians will understand that Muslims are their fellow man and "brothers". That statement ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2016, 11:05 AM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,185
Thanks: 695
Thanked 7,018 Times in 5,019 Posts
Default Re: Pope washes feet of Muslim migrants, says ‘We are brothers’

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
I think most Christians will understand that Muslims are their fellow man and "brothers".
That statement completely confounds me. I want to know what type of belief allows a person to think that the subjugation of women is perfectly okay.
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2016, 12:19 PM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,529
Thanks: 11,544
Thanked 7,726 Times in 5,108 Posts
Default Re: Pope washes feet of Muslim migrants, says ‘We are brothers’

All humans are our fellowmen/woman, and literally physically family.
But not spiritually brothers and sisters.
God loves all people no matter what they believe or what they do, but it doesn't mean he approves or doesn't want them to change.

As americans Legally we all should the same rights, no extra favors.
But we have to be realistic as what each faith promotes and how it may effect a constitutional republic without discriminating.
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2016, 11:02 PM
Joe Shoe's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,218
Thanks: 822
Thanked 1,589 Times in 1,079 Posts
Default Re: Pope washes feet of Muslim migrants, says ‘We are brothers’

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
Talk to the Pope and other Christians on that.
You seem to have no clue as to what Christianity is. And this is coming from somebody who isn't a Christian.
The pope doesn't represent most of Christianity, and you have no evidence that talking to "other Christians" would show that a moratorium on a group visiting a country as anti-Christian. So your response there was pointless ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
And anybody in that group, I agree we can set some limits. The problem is that Trump and his followers are lumping ALL Muslims together and assuming that just because SOME want to conquer, that means keep ALL Muslims out.
Then explain how you would set said limits. How would you find out ahead of time which ones were the ones WITHIN that group to block and which ones not? How would you reliably determine which ones would be coming in for terrorism and some not? See, you guys throw out these ideals and never want to get specific and lay out details on how you would do it. Because you well know that what you are saying is not really realistic at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
You are either being naive or idiotic.
Trump is the Republican front-runner.
He has promised to start a block on all Muslims coming into the country.
Which cannot be done outside the paradigm of checks and balances. Trump wouldn't be able to do that and you can't be so stupid as to not know it. There are way more important problems we have than ensuring Muslims can come visit.

See, part of the reason Trump is resonating even with statements like that is that AT LEAST HE IS PUTTING SOME PLANS OF SOME SORT ON THE TABLE TO DEAL WITH ISSUES. Meanwhile, you guys in the establishment and status quo can't even get any idea whatsoever on the table on how to deal with radical Islam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
What would it take for you to simply acknowledge that fact?
Are you capable of that level of honesty?
Dude, no one here has said OTHERWISE about Trump.
You may as well drop the idiotic pretense that you're making some valid point there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
Your dishonesty overflows.
a) I never said it was.
b) I have repeatedly stated that simply being against gay marriage is not homophobic.
c) It's the other crap you do beyond just be against gay marriage which demonstrates you bashing gays.
Then you continue to just be wrong. If you were actually honest about it, you would acknowledge the reality that I've never once even so much as used a gay slur at all and that I've never said bad things about gay people in that never have I said "gay people are ..." But of course it doesn't support your narrative to actually be honest in this case, so you will never admit it. Your feigned outrage might mean something if not for the fact that I've seen others come through here that clearly WERE anti-gay by making slurs or 'gays are so-and-so' statements, and then you don't go after them over it, or if you do it's barely compared to the ****storm you're always giving me about it. So you have no credibility here with this tactic, sorry. Enough already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
... This is the dishonesty that is Joe.

... Only because you refuse to comprehend English.

... GAWD you are thick.

... Only dishonesty is coming from you.

... You are so lost ...

... Are you really this thick?

... I don't think you are that smart to get that
All from this one post of yours, I point out. Ad hominem much??



Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
A lot of Christianity (Christ's teachings) are beautiful.
That doesn't preclude other teachings from being barbaric and obviously not inspired by any loving god.
Can you comprehend that BOTH opinions can exist about various parts of a book that is several thousand pages long?
Of course, but you have to understand that this new approach of yours pointing out how beautiful Christianity is, is something I've not seen in you before. I give you kudos for that, thank you for bringing some balance to your approach. Because frankly, you haven't had much of that before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
It is bizarre how you can proclaim that is an egregious wound...
But then try to pretend you don't bash gays habitually.
no, no, no.
I didn't say anything about an "egregious wound". Stop being such a drama queen. I just said there was something backhanded going on in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
I'll ask again.
You can cower from the question again.
Give me any objective standard whereby you can argue I attack Christianity that you are willing to apply to yourself regarding gays.
The fact that you cower from that challenge only demonstrates how absolutely idiotic your hypocrisy is.
It's a stupid and pointless challenge. But an objective difference is that I don't argue for gays to be put out of business for their issues, but you DO argue Christians be put out of business for theirs. (the bakery fiasco.) I don't argue that gays shouldn't be able to pass legislation based on their (some of them) pride ideologies, but you DO argue Christians shouldn't be able to pass legislation on THEIRS. So the objective difference is, in fact, that I'm more LEGALLY tolerant of gays than you are of Christians.
And I note for the viewing audience that even here you just can't stay off the 'gay' subject. Yet you love to hypocritically accuse others (me, anyway) of that sort of thing.
__________________
What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand???

Last edited by Joe Shoe; 04-10-2016 at 11:15 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2016, 07:02 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,620
Thanks: 10,112
Thanked 15,314 Times in 9,285 Posts
Default Re: Pope washes feet of Muslim migrants, says ‘We are brothers’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
That statement completely confounds me. I want to know what type of belief allows a person to think that the subjugation of women is perfectly okay.
Considering I said nothing remotely resembling that, I urge you to take your strawman elsewhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
The pope doesn't represent most of Christianity...
Never claimed he did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
... and you have no evidence that talking to "other Christians" would show that a moratorium on a group visiting a country as anti-Christian.
Never claimed I think that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
Then explain how you would set said limits. How would you find out ahead of time which ones were the ones WITHIN that group to block and which ones not? How would you reliably determine which ones would be coming in for terrorism and some not? See, you guys throw out these ideals and never want to get specific and lay out details on how you would do it. Because you well know that what you are saying is not really realistic at all.
Your rant is hilarious because you repeatedly fail to comprehend that the status quo DOES INCLUDE an attempt to figure out whether people coming into the country are dangerous or not.
And for you to claim it's "not really realistic at all"?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
Which cannot be done outside the paradigm of checks and balances. Trump wouldn't be able to do that and you can't be so stupid as to not know it. There are way more important problems we have than ensuring Muslims can come visit.
Did I say Trump would be able to do that all by his lonesome?


You are a king of strawman.
I was talking about a factor to help demonstrate significance to the unChristian philosophy put forward by some people who claim to be Christians.
And instead of acknowledging I demonstrated exactly that, you move the goal-posts and start whining about whether or not it could be achieved.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
See, part of the reason Trump is resonating even with statements like that ...

Trump is resonating with many because of statements like that.
Poll: 6 in 10 GOP voters back Trump's Muslim ban - POLITICO
But you're too busy trying to argue with me to fix the crap on the Republican side...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
Dude, no one here has said OTHERWISE about Trump.
Jesus Christ you are just so freakin' lost...
I point out the problem with Trump wanting to ban muslims.
You respond by saying "That's because the 'problem' is overstated and trumped-up."
And then when I point out the significance of the problem you try to move the goalposts and pretend noone has said otherwise...

You can't keep your own argument straight...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
Then you continue to just be wrong.
So sayeth you.
But there have been more people to recognize you've got SERIOUS issues with homosexuals than those who try to pretend you don't...

You put out this b.s. response of "I haven't done ____", but then you fail to admit honestly what you have done...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
Of course, but you have to understand that this new approach of yours pointing out how beautiful Christianity is, is something I've not seen in you before.
We've been over too many times in the past where you can't even keep your own arguments straight...
When I say black you try to pretend I'm saying white.
So what you think you haven't seen before is completely irrelevant to me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
I didn't say anything about an "egregious wound".
Whether or not it was an actual quote or not is irrelevant.
But once again, you have dodged my actual point to whine about nothing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
It's a stupid and pointless challenge. But an objective difference is that I don't argue for gays to be put out of business for their issues, but you DO argue Christians be put out of business for theirs.
Where have I argued that?
Quote me.

And I want the same law Christians already have. We already have a law for well over 50 years that proclaims business can't discriminate against religion.
Should I borrow your methodology and start proclaiming I've never seen you argue against that?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
I don't argue that gays shouldn't be able to pass legislation based on their (some of them) pride ideologies, but you DO argue Christians shouldn't be able to pass legislation on THEIRS.
I believe in the Lemon Test.
If gays are given identical protection as religion, I would be happy to include the same restriction like the Lemon test for religion.

Until then, you're basically whining from a "religion privileged" position


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
So the objective difference is, in fact, that I'm more LEGALLY tolerant of gays than you are of Christians.

You keep throwing out ridiculous standards which overlook the actual source of the issue.
Do you want me to count up the number of anti-gay threads you started and you can try to compare them to any threads you think are anti-Christian threads which I started?
And like I pointed out, this thread is not anti-Christian. I think the Christian religion is actually opposed to the Trump crap, so to try to pretend this thread is an example is stupid.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
And I note for the viewing audience that even here you just can't stay off the 'gay' subject. Yet you love to hypocritically accuse others (me, anyway) of that sort of thing.
Just you Joe.
Just you...
But your attempt to pretend you have company on this is amusing, but still pathetic.

And I only raise it because it demonstrates an analogy which emphasizes the foolishness of your accusations.
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2016, 11:00 PM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,185
Thanks: 695
Thanked 7,018 Times in 5,019 Posts
Default Re: Pope washes feet of Muslim migrants, says ‘We are brothers’

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
Considering I said nothing remotely resembling that, I urge you to take your strawman elsewhere...


Strawman my ass! Your statement--

"I think most Christians will understand that Muslims are their fellow man and "brothers"."

And my statement--

"That statement completely confounds me. I want to know what type of belief allows a person to think that the subjugation of women is perfectly okay."

Put them together, and you have dickhead Muslims and dickhead Christians going along with the subjugation of women and homosexuals.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manitou For This Useful Post:
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2016, 06:09 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,620
Thanks: 10,112
Thanked 15,314 Times in 9,285 Posts
Default Re: Pope washes feet of Muslim migrants, says ‘We are brothers’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
Strawman my ass! Your statement--

"I think most Christians will understand that Muslims are their fellow man and "brothers"."


And my statement--

"That statement completely confounds me. I want to know what type of belief allows a person to think that the subjugation of women is perfectly okay."

Put them together, and you have dickhead Muslims and dickhead Christians going along with the subjugation of women and homosexuals.
The problem is you are moving the goalposts and you (and without surprise one other) can't comprehend that.

The problem is that recognizing somebody as a brother/fellow man is not precluded by them having a contradictory (or even a recognized heinous) belief.

It's apples and oranges.

And the worst part of this argument of yours is that it's not your standard which you need to recognize as the important one.
If you believe you cannot recognize somebody as a "brother" because they have bad beliefs on treatment of women?
Okay. That's your belief.

But here's the thing you need to wrap your head around...
We're not talking about your belief here...

We're talking about the Pope's belief and his interpretation of what constitutes a "brother" and fellow man.
And THAT is where you are really perpetrating the strawman.
You are refusing to talk about the other person's actual opinion and instead substitute your own meaning of that word in.
i.e. strawman.
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2016, 04:17 PM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,185
Thanks: 695
Thanked 7,018 Times in 5,019 Posts
Default Re: Pope washes feet of Muslim migrants, says ‘We are brothers’

I'm not quite certain how an onomatopoeia of a fart is spelled. I am simply inserting a slight detour via my opinion, on what was said.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
are, brothers’, feet, migrants, muslim, pope, says, washes, ‘we

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0