Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Discussion > Religion & Philosophy
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Religion & Philosophy Discuss 'President's Devotional' shares scripture that inspired Obama at the General Discussion; As the former head of the Office of Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships under President Barack Obama, Joshua Dubois would seek ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-24-2013, 08:32 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 82,115
Thanks: 55,711
Thanked 26,384 Times in 18,895 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default 'President's Devotional' shares scripture that inspired Obama

Quote:
As the former head of the Office of Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships under President Barack Obama, Joshua Dubois would seek and offer scripture to serve as inspiration in daily life and in the face of national tragedy. Gwen Ifill sits down with Dubois to discuss his collection, titled "The President's Devotional."
'President's Devotional' shares scripture that inspired Obama | PBS NewsHour | Oct. 23, 2013 | PBS

I am so glad our Presidents have a history of being spiritually inspired.
__________________
We’re seeing this on multiple fronts. The aforementioned failure to ramp up testing, and the ongoing failure to get needed testing equipment to desperate governors, is compounded by Trump’s insistence on claiming that no such testing failure exists — or ever has.
Jeremy Konyndyk, a senior fellow at the Center for Global Development
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-24-2013, 10:42 PM
Oftencold's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,936
Thanks: 11,660
Thanked 9,718 Times in 6,203 Posts
Default Re: 'President's Devotional' shares scripture that inspired Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
'President's Devotional' shares scripture that inspired Obama | PBS NewsHour | Oct. 23, 2013 | PBS

I am so glad our Presidents have a history of being spiritually inspired.
This was more likely Obama's "inspiration."


That was his preacher for 20 years.
__________________
“Quod scripsi, scripsi"

╠═════════════════════════════════════╣

“Serpent's breath, charm of death and life, thy omen of making!”
Or if you're a traditionalist,
“Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha!”
And children, say it like you mean it!

╠═════════════════════════════════════╣
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oftencold For This Useful Post:
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2013, 12:09 AM
Scholar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,739
Thanks: 7,239
Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,679 Posts
Default Re: 'President's Devotional' shares scripture that inspired Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
'President's Devotional' shares scripture that inspired Obama | PBS NewsHour | Oct. 23, 2013 | PBS

I am so glad our Presidents have a history of being spiritually inspired.
Is that for real ? It looks lie a parody from the Onion.

I was going to ask what part of the Koran "inspired' him?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2013, 12:21 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 82,115
Thanks: 55,711
Thanked 26,384 Times in 18,895 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: 'President's Devotional' shares scripture that inspired Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
Is that for real ? It looks lie a parody from the Onion.

I was going to ask what part of the Koran "inspired' him?
yes evidently the guy texted him a scripture or something when he was still a senator and has been sending him inspirational messages every day. Some are quotes from other sources but most have a biblical basis. I might buy the book. It's hard for me to get to the library and they will no doubt have a waiting list.
I knew Obama was like Church of God? or something like that cause years back, a forum member someplace told us he was speaking at a church conference or event at his church (not as a politician but as a member of that faith).
__________________
We’re seeing this on multiple fronts. The aforementioned failure to ramp up testing, and the ongoing failure to get needed testing equipment to desperate governors, is compounded by Trump’s insistence on claiming that no such testing failure exists — or ever has.
Jeremy Konyndyk, a senior fellow at the Center for Global Development
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2013, 12:23 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 82,115
Thanks: 55,711
Thanked 26,384 Times in 18,895 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: 'President's Devotional' shares scripture that inspired Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
This was more likely Obama's "inspiration."

Rev. Wright; God Damn America - Long Version - Obama Preacher Rant - YouTube

That was his preacher for 20 years.
"Governments lie, but God doesn't lie; governments fail, but God doesn't fail..." yes I like that sermon. I heard the whole thing a couple times.
Thanks for posting.
__________________
We’re seeing this on multiple fronts. The aforementioned failure to ramp up testing, and the ongoing failure to get needed testing equipment to desperate governors, is compounded by Trump’s insistence on claiming that no such testing failure exists — or ever has.
Jeremy Konyndyk, a senior fellow at the Center for Global Development
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2013, 12:42 AM
Scholar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,739
Thanks: 7,239
Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,679 Posts
Default Re: 'President's Devotional' shares scripture that inspired Obama

Regarding Rev. Wright's rant: the Government does not hand out pills to make blacks high.

Slavery in the USA (which was only in some states by the way), ended almost 150 years ago. It ended because many WHITE people died fighting to end it.
Many white people also lived and still live in "inadequate" housing.
I think that it can be fairly said that most black people in the USA live better than the average black in Africa.
Mr. Obama acts like he is still campaigning. I am tired of the left fawning over him like he is their messiah.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Topcat For This Useful Post:
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2013, 01:10 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 82,115
Thanks: 55,711
Thanked 26,384 Times in 18,895 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: 'President's Devotional' shares scripture that inspired Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
Regarding Rev. Wright's rant: the Government does not hand out pills to make blacks high.

Slavery in the USA (which was only in some states by the way), ended almost 150 years ago. It ended because many WHITE people died fighting to end it.
Many white people also lived and still live in "inadequate" housing.
I think that it can be fairly said that most black people in the USA live better than the average black in Africa.
Mr. Obama acts like he is still campaigning. I am tired of the left fawning over him like he is their messiah.
That sermon was preached right after 9 eleven and I am sure it is not the only Armageddon -esque or introspective sermon that was preached that Sunday.
The entire sermon was pretty right on for the feelings of some at the time as I recall.

Obama did not post this thread or interview the author of a book. The guy who was a spiritual adviser to the president wrote a book.
the bold: depends on where in Africa. It is a big continent.
__________________
We’re seeing this on multiple fronts. The aforementioned failure to ramp up testing, and the ongoing failure to get needed testing equipment to desperate governors, is compounded by Trump’s insistence on claiming that no such testing failure exists — or ever has.
Jeremy Konyndyk, a senior fellow at the Center for Global Development
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2013, 06:34 AM
MrLiberty's Avatar
professional curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,506
Thanks: 21,953
Thanked 18,612 Times in 11,938 Posts
Default Re: 'President's Devotional' shares scripture that inspired Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
That sermon was preached right after 9 eleven and I am sure it is not the only Armageddon -esque or introspective sermon that was preached that Sunday.
The entire sermon was pretty right on for the feelings of some at the time as I recall.

Obama did not post this thread or interview the author of a book. The guy who was a spiritual adviser to the president wrote a book.
the bold: depends on where in Africa. It is a big continent.
Just because some guy sends obama spiritual messages to obama everyday doesn't make him obama's spiritual adviser. And, it also doesn't mean obama reads them.
__________________
Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war.

Donald Trump
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2013, 09:35 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 82,115
Thanks: 55,711
Thanked 26,384 Times in 18,895 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: 'President's Devotional' shares scripture that inspired Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLiberty View Post
Just because some guy sends obama spiritual messages to obama everyday doesn't make him obama's spiritual adviser. And, it also doesn't mean obama reads them.
in the interview he says sometimes the President requests scripture related to specific problems or tasks.
__________________
We’re seeing this on multiple fronts. The aforementioned failure to ramp up testing, and the ongoing failure to get needed testing equipment to desperate governors, is compounded by Trump’s insistence on claiming that no such testing failure exists — or ever has.
Jeremy Konyndyk, a senior fellow at the Center for Global Development
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2013, 09:42 PM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 55,374
Thanks: 2,260
Thanked 35,762 Times in 20,457 Posts
Default Re: 'President's Devotional' shares scripture that inspired Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
in the interview he says sometimes the President requests scripture related to specific problems or tasks.
And then gets messages from the Gospels of Alinsky and Ayers...
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
devotional, inspired, obama, president, scripture, shares, that

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0