Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Discussion > Religion & Philosophy
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Religion & Philosophy Discuss Cops: Self-described Militant Atheist Violently Attacks Pastor After Sermon at the General Discussion; "NORTH HAMPTON, Ohio - Police Chief Jarrod Campbell said in his eleven years with the department, he's rarely seen "an ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-23-2013, 09:13 PM
Joe Shoe's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,218
Thanks: 822
Thanked 1,589 Times in 1,079 Posts
Default Cops: Self-described Militant Atheist Violently Attacks Pastor After Sermon

"NORTH HAMPTON, Ohio - Police Chief Jarrod Campbell said in his eleven years with the department, he's rarely seen "an incident this brutal." Campbell is referring to Sunday's brutal assault on a pastor by a self-described militant atheist with a criminal past. The incident occurred following a sermon by Rev. Norman Hayes, 57, at the Bridge Community Church in North Hampton.
The suspect, 28-year-old James Maxie, of Springfield, Ohio, was attending the service with his girlfriend. According to Rev. Hayes, Maxie was vocally confrontational during the service as if "looking for an argument." After the service the couple approached Hayes. She told police that when Hayes asked if Maxie was abusing her, Maxie attacked him, striking him several times in the face in the church hallway.
"I questioned his girlfriend in his presence if she felt safe," Hayes said. "He was very, very upset that I'd even suggest that he would hurt her. Then he turned around and hurt me very badly."
Hayes said he feared for his life and begged for the attack to stop. He suffered a broken nose, bruises and three long cuts that required stitches across his face."
http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2...r-After-Sermon
First, I DON'T believe this means atheists are any more likely to be violent than anyone else. I post this story because a common argument atheists make is that religion is behind much of the violence in the world. If we were to take their approach when making that argument, one could generalize about such a story as this. But us more rational people know better.
__________________
What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand???
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Shoe For This Useful Post:
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-23-2013, 10:40 PM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,473 Times in 6,022 Posts
Default Re: Cops: Self-described Militant Atheist Violently Attacks Pastor After Sermon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
"NORTH HAMPTON, Ohio - Police Chief Jarrod Campbell said in his eleven years with the department, he's rarely seen "an incident this brutal." Campbell is referring to Sunday's brutal assault on a pastor by a self-described militant atheist with a criminal past. The incident occurred following a sermon by Rev. Norman Hayes, 57, at the Bridge Community Church in North Hampton.
The suspect, 28-year-old James Maxie, of Springfield, Ohio, was attending the service with his girlfriend. According to Rev. Hayes, Maxie was vocally confrontational during the service as if "looking for an argument." After the service the couple approached Hayes. She told police that when Hayes asked if Maxie was abusing her, Maxie attacked him, striking him several times in the face in the church hallway.
"I questioned his girlfriend in his presence if she felt safe," Hayes said. "He was very, very upset that I'd even suggest that he would hurt her. Then he turned around and hurt me very badly."
Hayes said he feared for his life and begged for the attack to stop. He suffered a broken nose, bruises and three long cuts that required stitches across his face."
Cops: Self-described Militant Atheist Violently Attacks Pastor After Sermon
First, I DON'T believe this means atheists are any more likely to be violent than anyone else. I post this story because a common argument atheists make is that religion is behind much of the violence in the world. If we were to take their approach when making that argument, one could generalize about such a story as this. But us more rational people know better.
Religious beliefs are behind much of the violence in the world. That really is indisputable. But 'much' doesn't mean 'all'.
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rivrrat For This Useful Post:
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-23-2013, 11:00 PM
Oftencold's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,936
Thanks: 11,660
Thanked 9,718 Times in 6,203 Posts
Default Re: Cops: Self-described Militant Atheist Violently Attacks Pastor After Sermon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
"NORTH HAMPTON, Ohio - Police Chief Jarrod Campbell said in his eleven years with the department, he's rarely seen "an incident this brutal." Campbell is referring to Sunday's brutal assault on a pastor by a self-described militant atheist with a criminal past. The incident occurred following a sermon by Rev. Norman Hayes, 57, at the Bridge Community Church in North Hampton.
The suspect, 28-year-old James Maxie, of Springfield, Ohio, was attending the service with his girlfriend. According to Rev. Hayes, Maxie was vocally confrontational during the service as if "looking for an argument." After the service the couple approached Hayes. She told police that when Hayes asked if Maxie was abusing her, Maxie attacked him, striking him several times in the face in the church hallway.
"I questioned his girlfriend in his presence if she felt safe," Hayes said. "He was very, very upset that I'd even suggest that he would hurt her. Then he turned around and hurt me very badly."
Hayes said he feared for his life and begged for the attack to stop. He suffered a broken nose, bruises and three long cuts that required stitches across his face."
Cops: Self-described Militant Atheist Violently Attacks Pastor After Sermon
First, I DON'T believe this means atheists are any more likely to be violent than anyone else. I post this story because a common argument atheists make is that religion is behind much of the violence in the world. If we were to take their approach when making that argument, one could generalize about such a story as this. But us more rational people know better.
I disagree. People without a religion that demands peaceful behavior are left with far less to oppose the natural tendency of the human animal to violence. One might say that Atheists choose to be non violent, and I'm sure that most do when such behavior is the social norm where they live. (The social norm having been informed be religious instruction, present and historical.)
__________________
“Quod scripsi, scripsi"

╠═════════════════════════════════════╣

“Serpent's breath, charm of death and life, thy omen of making!”
Or if you're a traditionalist,
“Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha!”
And children, say it like you mean it!

╠═════════════════════════════════════╣
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-23-2013, 11:14 PM
Jackass master's Avatar
Tired old ass
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: on top of the mountain
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,437
Thanks: 2,946
Thanked 4,198 Times in 2,459 Posts
Default Re: Cops: Self-described Militant Atheist Violently Attacks Pastor After Sermon

Sounds more like he has an anger issue that is far bigger than his atheism. Maybe he will find some guidance while he sits in jail.
__________________
I don't have much ammo, but will gladly waste some on you!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-23-2013, 11:15 PM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 55,374
Thanks: 2,260
Thanked 35,762 Times in 20,457 Posts
Default Re: Cops: Self-described Militant Atheist Violently Attacks Pastor After Sermon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass master View Post
Sounds more like he has an anger issue that is far bigger than his atheism. Maybe he will find some guidance while he sits in jail.
Or God...
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cnredd For This Useful Post:
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Jackass master's Avatar
Tired old ass
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: on top of the mountain
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,437
Thanks: 2,946
Thanked 4,198 Times in 2,459 Posts
Default Re: Cops: Self-described Militant Atheist Violently Attacks Pastor After Sermon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
Or God...
His guidance works for me.
__________________
I don't have much ammo, but will gladly waste some on you!
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jackass master For This Useful Post:
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-24-2013, 12:54 PM
faithful_servant's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Beautiful conservative Central Oregon
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,290
Thanks: 6,030
Thanked 8,067 Times in 5,535 Posts
Default Re: Cops: Self-described Militant Atheist Violently Attacks Pastor After Sermon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
"NORTH HAMPTON, Ohio - Police Chief Jarrod Campbell said in his eleven years with the department, he's rarely seen "an incident this brutal." Campbell is referring to Sunday's brutal assault on a pastor by a self-described militant atheist with a criminal past. The incident occurred following a sermon by Rev. Norman Hayes, 57, at the Bridge Community Church in North Hampton.
The suspect, 28-year-old James Maxie, of Springfield, Ohio, was attending the service with his girlfriend. According to Rev. Hayes, Maxie was vocally confrontational during the service as if "looking for an argument." After the service the couple approached Hayes. She told police that when Hayes asked if Maxie was abusing her, Maxie attacked him, striking him several times in the face in the church hallway.
"I questioned his girlfriend in his presence if she felt safe," Hayes said. "He was very, very upset that I'd even suggest that he would hurt her. Then he turned around and hurt me very badly."
Hayes said he feared for his life and begged for the attack to stop. He suffered a broken nose, bruises and three long cuts that required stitches across his face."
Cops: Self-described Militant Atheist Violently Attacks Pastor After Sermon
First, I DON'T believe this means atheists are any more likely to be violent than anyone else. I post this story because a common argument atheists make is that religion is behind much of the violence in the world. If we were to take their approach when making that argument, one could generalize about such a story as this. But us more rational people know better.
Being the head usher at my church, my first thought is where were the ushers when the guy was making a fuss during the service and where were they afterwards. You NEVER leave your Pastor hanging in the wind like that. Had this happened in my church, we have protocols in place to deal with it and deal with it quickly. #1 is that a person is placed between the Pastor and the problem until the problem goes away. #2 is that the problem gets removed ASAP. #3 is that in the case of something like this happening, the Pastor has an escort to his vehicle after service. Had this happened in my church while wasn't there and my guys allowed this to happen, someone would be getting CHEWED and CHEWED HARD (but I can guarantee that my guys wouldn't let it happen).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
after, atheist, attacks, cops, militant, pastor, selfdescribed, sermon, violently

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0