Political Wrinkles

Political Wrinkles (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/)
-   The President & the Executive Branch (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/president-executive-branch/)
-   -   Trump signs limited executive orders on unemployment (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/president-executive-branch/58932-trump-signs-limited-executive-orders-unemployment.html)

saltwn 08-08-2020 09:00 PM

Trump signs limited executive orders on unemployment
 
The payroll taxes he's talking about cutting and making permanent are Social Security and Medicare


Jeerleader 08-09-2020 07:07 AM

Re: Trump signs limited executive orders on unemployment
 
He specifically used the pen Obama used to sign the DACA EO and SCOTUS raised the benchmark for legal challenge of EO's that appropriate Congressional powers but 'help' people, so everything is A-OK!

.

FrancSevin 08-09-2020 01:14 PM

Re: Trump signs limited executive orders on unemployment
 
If Congress is offended they most certainly can respond by passing the legislation currently stalled over politics.

That'll show President Trump who has the power.

I ain't holding my breath.

cnredd 08-09-2020 01:39 PM

Re: Trump signs limited executive orders on unemployment
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrancSevin (Post 991611)
If Congress is offended they most certainly can respond by passing the legislation currently stalled over politics.

That'll show President Trump who has the power.

I ain't holding my breath.

This one of those rare occasions where the Dems own strategy backfires...Every time a Republican(s) want to prevent money from going to Dem programs and pet projects, they run to the nearest microphone and yell, "They want to hurt people!"...

If they lift a finger to block this executive order, you can bet Trump will be screaming the same thing...:yes

Trump Extends Unemployment Benefits Through Executive Orders

Quote:

I suppose we should have seen this coming. As we’ve discussed here previously, Congress failed to reach an agreement that would extend federally enhanced unemployment benefits for those who lost their jobs due to the COVID-19 pandemic, previously set at $600 per week. After talks broke down, the President signed an executive order this afternoon that would split the difference and provide an additional $400 per week to the jobless. How this will play out with Republicans who wanted a more modest package and Democrats who claimed that the President had no authority to do this remains to be seen.

...I don’t want to go back to the idea that Trump is playing three-dimensional political chess here, but this is a pretty good move. Both Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer had previously said that if the President tried to step in and take executive action on this matter that they would go to court to block him. Well, he’s done it.

So where does that leave Chuck and Nancy? They’ve supposedly been in the trenches fighting tooth and nail to extend the federal unemployment enhancement benefits. They couldn’t cut a deal with Cocaine Mitch that Trump would (supposedly) approve, so everyone walked away from the table with no extension to the benefit. As long as that harmed unemployed workers, it benefitted the Democrats who would see the angry army of unemployed showing up at the polls ready to vote against the Republicans.

But now Donald Trump has stepped in with the Hammer of Thor and said that the unemployed could have 2/3 of the previous enhancement back to tide them over. This leaves Chuck and Nancy in the position to either stop the President from helping all of those who are out of work or eat their previous words. With apologies to all of the NeverTrumpers out there, this was a pretty brilliant play. Speaker Pelosi can either back down on her previous threat and let the money flow or be the one to personally block the unemployed from receiving a boost.

This looks like one point to Trump, if not the entire game, set and match. Perhaps the Democrats will come up with a counterstrategy over the weekend.

saltwn 08-10-2020 01:16 AM

Re: Trump signs limited executive orders on unemployment
 
he can cut in an emergency but has no power to make cuts permanent or to waive you paying it back.
if you don't wanna get hit with a big cut later ask the payroll dept at your work to go ahead and withhold it. :thumbsup

Gordon Shumway 08-12-2020 12:48 AM

Re: Trump signs limited executive orders on unemployment
 
crazy how suddenly democrats don't like executive orders and republicans find themselves in love with them. just a few short years ago they both were on opposite sides of the issue.
this executive order overrides one of the perks of a divided government. the fact when a compromise cannot be reached they do nothing. which is usually a good thing.

now for the payroll tax issue...
it is not going to be abolished.
the permanent idea is to not have to pay back the deferral essentially making it a tax holiday similar to the 2% reduction we got back in 2012. when the payroll tax holiday expired the tax resumed as normal. the same will happen this time. the question is whether or not it will be required to pay it back. as of now it will be.

saltwn 08-12-2020 12:53 AM

Re: Trump signs limited executive orders on unemployment
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway (Post 991740)
crazy how suddenly democrats don't like executive orders and republicans find themselves in love with them. just a few short years ago they both were on opposite sides of the issue.
this executive order overrides one of the perks of a divided government. the fact when a compromise cannot be reached they do nothing. which is usually a good thing.

now for the payroll tax issue...
it is not going to be abolished.
the permanent idea is to not have to pay back the deferral essentially making it a tax holiday similar to the 2% reduction we got back in 2012. when the payroll tax holiday expired the tax resumed as normal. the same will happen this time. the question is whether or not it will be required to pay it back. as of now it will be.

he said himself he would 'see about making it permanent'
then he walked that back via his staff and they said he meant you might not have to pay it back
thing is he can't executive order that part of his plan.
so if you work I advise asking your employer to go ahead and withhold it that way you're not caught short. :shrug

Gordon Shumway 08-12-2020 04:38 AM

Re: Trump signs limited executive orders on unemployment
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by saltwn (Post 991742)
he said himself he would 'see about making it permanent'
then he walked that back via his staff and they said he meant you might not have to pay it back
thing is he can't executive order that part of his plan.
so if you work I advise asking your employer to go ahead and withhold it that way you're not caught short. :shrug

while trump has a problem blurting out stuff in unclear terms there is not a sane person on the planet who believes he meant to abolish the payroll tax forever moving forward.
he even started off calling it a tax holiday. the same verbiage obama used with the 2% payroll tax holiday we got in 2012 that we were not required to pay back. as you stated trump can't do that unilaterally with an executive order. he will need congress to forgive that tax making the four month tax relief/holiday permanent. he also said he'd extend it but didn't specify for how long. my guess is regardless of who wins the tax holiday will be made permanent meaning you won't have to pay it back. but the tax withholding will resume after the first of the year.

saltwn 08-12-2020 06:29 PM

Re: Trump signs limited executive orders on unemployment
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway (Post 991748)
while trump has a problem blurting out stuff in unclear terms there is not a sane person on the planet who believes he meant to abolish the payroll tax forever moving forward.
he even started off calling it a tax holiday. the same verbiage obama used with the 2% payroll tax holiday we got in 2012 that we were not required to pay back. as you stated trump can't do that unilaterally with an executive order. he will need congress to forgive that tax making the four month tax relief/holiday permanent. he also said he'd extend it but didn't specify for how long. my guess is regardless of who wins the tax holiday will be made permanent meaning you won't have to pay it back. but the tax withholding will resume after the first of the year.

yes just my point
he's not clear and what he is semi coherent on his staff walks back. this is no leader. but you know that already.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0