Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > The President & the Executive Branch
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The President & the Executive Branch Discuss 'Dangerous.' 'Abuse.' 'Lawless': Bipartisan attack on Trump national emergency declar at the Political Forums; Originally Posted by AZRWinger Reviewing the list of currently active emergency declarations shows concerns for security situations in several African ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 02-15-2019, 02:47 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 82,084
Thanks: 55,703
Thanked 26,380 Times in 18,891 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: 'Dangerous.' 'Abuse.' 'Lawless': Bipartisan attack on Trump national emergency de

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
Reviewing the list of currently active emergency declarations shows concerns for security situations in several African nations, Iran and Nicaragua. The security of far away nations is something to be addressed by emergency declarations but not the US border security situation.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2019-01-...res-what-means

When Obama blatantly invaded the Senate's authority to set its own rules by making recess appointments when they were in session Democrats cheered him for his boldness. When Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi undermined regular order to pass Obamacare on a party line vote it was called progress. But if Trump uses the same authority other Presidents have used to declare a national emergency it undermines our Republic.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2019-01-...res-what-means
those are executive orders are not national emergencies. only 58 have been declared. and they were real emergencies. this is a campaign ad and money grab.
__________________
We’re seeing this on multiple fronts. The aforementioned failure to ramp up testing, and the ongoing failure to get needed testing equipment to desperate governors, is compounded by Trump’s insistence on claiming that no such testing failure exists — or ever has.
Jeremy Konyndyk, a senior fellow at the Center for Global Development
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 02-15-2019, 02:50 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 82,084
Thanks: 55,703
Thanked 26,380 Times in 18,891 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: 'Dangerous.' 'Abuse.' 'Lawless': Bipartisan attack on Trump national emergency de

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
I do not think that President Trump's declaration of a national emergency is abusive or lawless. In fact, other presidents--of both parties--have frequently declared national emergencies.

Nonetheless, I do think that it is of questionable wisdom.

After all--as I am certainly not the first to point out--a future Democratic president may declare a national emergency as regarding, say, climate change (and therefore prompt Congress to prohibit the internal-combustion engine); gun violence (and therefore seek to confiscate our guns); or healthcare insurance (and therefore ask Congress to enact UHC).

I do think that President Trump is weary of Congress' refusal to act; so he has responding by taking action, himself.

I just am not certain that, in the long run, it will prove to be a wise choice.
That is the point. Congress did in fact act. did republicans get all they wanted? no. Did democrats? no. And they abided by a compromise they are proud of and the American people should be. Trump is a baby man. full stop. dictatorial wanna be emperor pretending at some emergency to rally the troops for a 2020 run.
__________________
We’re seeing this on multiple fronts. The aforementioned failure to ramp up testing, and the ongoing failure to get needed testing equipment to desperate governors, is compounded by Trump’s insistence on claiming that no such testing failure exists — or ever has.
Jeremy Konyndyk, a senior fellow at the Center for Global Development
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 02-15-2019, 02:52 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 82,084
Thanks: 55,703
Thanked 26,380 Times in 18,891 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: 'Dangerous.' 'Abuse.' 'Lawless': Bipartisan attack on Trump national emergency de

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
Declaring a national emergency is not going to prompt Congress to do anything. Democrats are terrified at the prospect of a Senate vote on the Green New deal they are even more terrified of any President who would be foolish enough to try outlawing the internal combustion engine. Likewise they aren't going to jump off the cliff by using a national emergency to ban guns.

The argument that Democrats wouldn't undertake an action unless Republicans set a new precedent is laughable. FDR discarded the precedent of two terms for the President to become President for life. Obama wrecked public financing of Presidential campaigns. Harry Reid destroyed the filibuster of judicial nominations. Obama ignored the legal requirement to submit a Federal budget by a legally specified date then refused to work with Congress to defend his own proposal. There are other examples where Democrats discard precedent for political advantage.

Pious intonations of sacred precedent are only invoked when useful for stymieing Republicans.
There were no term limits till after FDR
__________________
We’re seeing this on multiple fronts. The aforementioned failure to ramp up testing, and the ongoing failure to get needed testing equipment to desperate governors, is compounded by Trump’s insistence on claiming that no such testing failure exists — or ever has.
Jeremy Konyndyk, a senior fellow at the Center for Global Development
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 02-15-2019, 03:42 PM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,727
Thanks: 6,043
Thanked 6,321 Times in 4,298 Posts
Default Re: 'Dangerous.' 'Abuse.' 'Lawless': Bipartisan attack on Trump national emergency de

[QUOTE=FrancSevin;962033][

I]Dangerous abuse of power [/I]is when Justice Department lawyers attempt a coup d'état' to reverse the results of a national election.

I sure hope that an investigation commences soon on this subject. Because this is far more dangerous than anything Trump would, or could do.
__________________
The socialist / Leftist fringe, now controls the Democrat party. Unfortunately the moderate/Liberal left, doesn't realize it.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dog Man For This Useful Post:
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 02-15-2019, 05:09 PM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,417
Thanks: 9,702
Thanked 13,174 Times in 7,238 Posts
Default Re: 'Dangerous.' 'Abuse.' 'Lawless': Bipartisan attack on Trump national emergency de

[quote=Dog Man;962098]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
[

I]Dangerous abuse of power [/I]is when Justice Department lawyers attempt a coup d'état' to reverse the results of a national election.

I sure hope that an investigation commences soon on this subject. Because this is far more dangerous than anything Trump would, or could do.
Lawyers have attempted to reverse national elections in our courts before . But most notably 2000, 2004 and now 2016. But this time they weren't employed by the Democratic party but employed by the USA government as agents sworn to protect the Constitution. Instead they attempted to twist the law and remove an elected president by invoking the 25 amendment. Which cannot be employed as they attempted.

But they succeeded in convincing many jurist, citizens and the media that they could. The connections of these same people to the foreign dossier' compiled by Russian agent makes the attempt itself a justification for a federal grand jury to investigate possible treason.

McCabe's own words, "The Russian government is our nation's biggest enemy." To that, I say "BINGO!"
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2019, 10:49 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,096
Thanks: 12,055
Thanked 4,409 Times in 2,838 Posts
Default Re: 'Dangerous.' 'Abuse.' 'Lawless': Bipartisan attack on Trump national emergency de

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
Pious intonations of sacred precedent are only invoked when useful for stymieing Republicans.
This is not entirely untrue. Very often, the left wishes to do exactly that.

But anyone who knows me would not think that I am a member in good standing (or any kind of standing) of the left.
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got it…"—George Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2019, 01:54 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 82,084
Thanks: 55,703
Thanked 26,380 Times in 18,891 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: 'Dangerous.' 'Abuse.' 'Lawless': Bipartisan attack on Trump national emergency de

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
Dangerous abuse of power is when Justice Department lawyers attempt a coup d'état' to reverse the results of a national election.
if you are talking about polling cabinet members on the 25th amendment that is part of the constitution (hence the name "amendment")
Quote:
When the Congress, because of time constraints, not in session or gridlock, cannot or will not address a current crisis? This is what the emergency power granted to the executive is intended.
Congress did act. created a budget with wall money they agreed upon. The Trump-O decided he wanted it done quicker so fakes an emergency. Not his greatest idea
Quote:
One can perhaps make the argument such is not the case. However that argument is not proven here simply because the media wants to avert America's eye's to the issue. The crisis on our southern border has been in existence since President Clinton promised to fix it.
How can you claim that when they have been there with cameras the whole time?
Quote:
Every Congress, and every President, since has failed to do what they promised.
And so did this POTUS. He was willing to take a lot more then a lot less then canceled those due to his own flakey fakey propagandistas.

Quote:
And the organized resistance to fixing the issue, we see before us now, is evidence as to why none ever really tried. People who object to a secure border should be asked what it is that they don't want to stop from crossing it.
Security and 25 billion dollars in concrete taken from FEMA and our military are two entirely different things.
__________________
We’re seeing this on multiple fronts. The aforementioned failure to ramp up testing, and the ongoing failure to get needed testing equipment to desperate governors, is compounded by Trump’s insistence on claiming that no such testing failure exists — or ever has.
Jeremy Konyndyk, a senior fellow at the Center for Global Development
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2019, 12:01 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,096
Thanks: 12,055
Thanked 4,409 Times in 2,838 Posts
Default Re: 'Dangerous.' 'Abuse.' 'Lawless': Bipartisan attack on Trump national emergency de

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
if you are talking about polling cabinet members on the 25th amendment that is part of the constitution (hence the name "amendment")
To use the 25th amendment as a pretext for removing a sitting president from office--for anything other than medical or psychological incapacity--is simply a horrible misuse of this constitutional provision.

In fact, law professor Alan Dershowitz--who is hardly a conservative--said precisely that: https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...oup_detat.html
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got it…"—George Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2019, 12:35 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,367
Thanks: 9,976
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,892 Posts
Default Re: 'Dangerous.' 'Abuse.' 'Lawless': Bipartisan attack on Trump national emergency de

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
There were no term limits till after FDR
There's a difference between limits and precedents. Look it up.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2019, 01:55 PM
Hairy Jello's Avatar
Deplorable
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,554
Thanks: 1,966
Thanked 13,205 Times in 8,267 Posts
Default Re: 'Dangerous.' 'Abuse.' 'Lawless': Bipartisan attack on Trump national emergency de

Quote:
'Dangerous.' 'Abuse.' 'Lawless'
All of those things describe the situation at the border.
__________________

Not an accurate representation of a white person.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hairy Jello For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
abuse, attack, bipartisan, dangerous, declar, emergency, lawless, national, trump

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0