Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > The President & the Executive Branch
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The President & the Executive Branch Discuss Trump admin says Trump can profit from foreign hotel guests at the Political Forums; Originally Posted by GetAClue If foreign dignitaries were all of a sudden renting exclusively from Trump if similar accommodations are ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2018, 01:37 PM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,781
Thanks: 9,627
Thanked 5,893 Times in 3,980 Posts
Default Re: Trump admin says Trump can profit from foreign hotel guests

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
If foreign dignitaries were all of a sudden renting exclusively from Trump if similar accommodations are available in the area for a cheaper price, you may have somewhat of an argument. (There are still other things to consider such as proximity to the location you will be doing business at, availability, etc.)

What kills me is thinking that a guy worth billions of dollars would jeopardize his election for the prospects of his company making a few thousand dollars. That is ludicrous on it's face.
polticians have done it since well... forever..
And if there's are enough people that refuse to even consider the idea that "THEIR GUY" would do such thing then, why not? he doesn't need ALL the people to think he's honest.
Trump said himself "I could shoot someone in the middle of times square and not loose any supporters"
Hillary Clinton is a known UN-convicted crook but still has people voting for her with glee and ignoring and making excuses for clearly scummy and il-legit behavior.

previously I posted a links to like 10+ items where Trump and his family's actions are sploshing over the Gov't vs Biz lines... to the point where one family member even lost his top secret clearance... but most of the replies here are not even addressing the details. They are mainly just Tut-tut-ting, and pointing fingers back at the supposed biased accusers... as if that makes it somehow OK.

But to your point again politicians have a loooong history of using their post for personal financial gain. and as Trump and his fans brag that's what he does best. So I'd suspect he won't just be making "a few thousand".
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8

Last edited by mr wonder; 06-14-2018 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2018, 04:17 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 77,627
Thanks: 54,464
Thanked 25,839 Times in 18,415 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Trump admin says Trump can profit from foreign hotel guests

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
Bullsh*t...

There's nothig in the Constitution that says, "There more financially successful you are, the more you get punished"...



As a side note, I don't remember Obama tallying the number of foreigners, lobbyists, and others wanting to gain favors by buying the books he wrote before he was president...

But he DID cash those royalty checks!...

Obamas report $5.5 million in income on 2009 tax return



If Trump makes money over stuff he did before he was president and his hotel rooms are being rented to people wanting to gain favors (both foreign and domestic), that's bad...

But if Obama makes money over stuff he did before he was president and his books are being sold to people wanting to gain favors (both foreign and domestic), that's A-OK...

Because you know...That's "different"...
The Trump International Hotel Washington, D.C. opened to paying guests with a "soft opening" on September 12, 2016. The hotel's grand opening was celebrated on October 26, 2016.
It was renovated into a hotel from the old post office.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2018, 07:14 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,116
Thanks: 3,765
Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,594 Posts
Default Re: Trump admin says Trump can profit from foreign hotel guests

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
polticians have done it since well... forever..
And if there's are enough people that refuse to even consider the idea that "THEIR GUY" would do such thing then, why not? he doesn't need ALL the people to think he's honest.
Trump said himself "I could shoot someone in the middle of times square and not loose any supporters"
Hillary Clinton is a known UN-convicted crook but still has people voting for her with glee and ignoring and making excuses for clearly scummy and il-legit behavior.

previously I posted a links to like 10+ items where Trump and his family's actions are sploshing over the Gov't vs Biz lines... to the point where one family member even lost his top secret clearance... but most of the replies here are not even addressing the details. They are mainly just Tut-tut-ting, and pointing fingers back at the supposed biased accusers... as if that makes it somehow OK.

But to your point again politicians have a loooong history of using their post for personal financial gain. and as Trump and his fans brag that's what he does best. So I'd suspect he won't just be making "a few thousand".
You have yet to post anything that resulted in an actual crime. Trumps business is doing today exactly what it was doing prior to him becoming POTUS. If somehow Trumps business was taking off after the election like it had never done in the past, you may have something. But in this case, it appears that his election did not impact his business in any way other than removing him from the day to day operations.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2018, 07:14 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,116
Thanks: 3,765
Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,594 Posts
Default Re: Trump admin says Trump can profit from foreign hotel guests

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
The Trump International Hotel Washington, D.C. opened to paying guests with a "soft opening" on September 12, 2016. The hotel's grand opening was celebrated on October 26, 2016.
It was renovated into a hotel from the old post office.
And was in the works long before he ran for president. Do you have a point in there somewhere?
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2018, 10:06 AM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,781
Thanks: 9,627
Thanked 5,893 Times in 3,980 Posts
Default Re: Trump admin says Trump can profit from foreign hotel guests

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
You have yet to post anything that resulted in an actual crime. Trumps business is doing today exactly what it was doing prior to him becoming POTUS. If somehow Trumps business was taking off after the election like it had never done in the past, you may have something. But in this case, it appears that his election did not impact his business in any way other than removing him from the day to day operations.
Hillary has never been convicted of any crimes either. doesn't mean she hasn't committed any.

And the AMOUNT of potential illegal biz isn't necessarily gauged by large or small upticks in biz or cash. If a biz was on the downslide and it stabilizes becasue of -tit for tat- deals, that's a win for Trump. If a fat biz deal is deferred until after his term (4 or 8) is over becasue of his actions or INaction while in office that's a win for Trump as well.

My main the point is we don't know, and no one is really investigating but a few reporters and watchdog groups here and there. And with what's seen at the surface (before looking at biz accounting records and contracts) some of the Trump family active have an obvious STINK.
That stink is foul enough to warrant honest suspicion (+loss of security clearance), and if Trump wanted to clear the air he COULD put everything in a blind trust and get his family out of politics and do several other things. But nope. He, his family and supporters keep waving the air and claiming there's no foul odor and definitely no crap to see.

So AS IT STANDS he looks like a crook. And I for one am not ready to assume his innocence here based on the the 10+ articles of questionable activity i posted earlier.

Based on those suspicious and in my view clearly illegitimate actions he should cease and desist, Clear the Air, And expected to be investigated.
By who, i don't know, since the AG that works for him seems to think everything is A-OK. 'Nothing to see here', just the top cop/investigator saying that his boss has done no wrong. No one should question that right?
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2018, 10:41 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,116
Thanks: 3,765
Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,594 Posts
Default Re: Trump admin says Trump can profit from foreign hotel guests

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
Hillary has never been convicted of any crimes either. doesn't mean she hasn't committed any.

And the AMOUNT of potential illegal biz isn't necessarily gauged by large or small upticks in biz or cash. If a biz was on the downslide and it stabilizes becasue of -tit for tat- deals, that's a win for Trump. If a fat biz deal is deferred until after his term (4 or 8) is over becasue of his actions or INaction while in office that's a win for Trump as well.

My main the point is we don't know, and no one is really investigating but a few reporters and watchdog groups here and there. And with what's seen at the surface (before looking at biz accounting records and contracts) some of the Trump family active have an obvious STINK.
That stink is foul enough to warrant honest suspicion (+loss of security clearance), and if Trump wanted to clear the air he COULD put everything in a blind trust and get his family out of politics and do several other things. But nope. He, his family and supporters keep waving the air and claiming there's no foul odor and definitely no crap to see.

So AS IT STANDS he looks like a crook. And I for one am not ready to assume his innocence here based on the the 10+ articles of questionable activity i posted earlier.

Based on those suspicious and in my view clearly illegitimate actions he should cease and desist, Clear the Air, And expected to be investigated.
By who, i don't know, since the AG that works for him seems to think everything is A-OK. 'Nothing to see here', just the top cop/investigator saying that his boss has done no wrong. No one should question that right?
So really, all you have is that Trump's business may or may not benefit from him being president. You cannot show that it was failing before he won the election and you cannot show that it experienced an uptick now that he is president. All you have is that there is a potential for it.

I have the potential to play golf at a professional level. Maybe I should petition the PGA to forgo me actually qualifying to play and just put me on tour because I "might" be able to play.

You also mention a "stink" amongst the Trump family in regards to his business because some watchdog groups (left wing as they are) say so. If the DOJ would like to investigate, they by all means they should. But you are essentially convicting them of crimes that you cannot even point to. At least with Hillary, those of us that believed that she was doing a "pay for play" with foreign gov'ts, could point to the outrageous speaking fees that Bill and the foundation were receiving while she was SOS and running for POTUS. (Uranium one deal comes to mind).
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2018, 12:44 PM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,781
Thanks: 9,627
Thanked 5,893 Times in 3,980 Posts
Default Re: Trump admin says Trump can profit from foreign hotel guests

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
So really, all you have is that Trump's business may or may not benefit from him being president. You cannot show that it was failing before he won the election and you cannot show that it experienced an uptick now that he is president. All you have is that there is a potential for it.

I have the potential to play golf at a professional level. Maybe I should petition the PGA to forgo me actually qualifying to play and just put me on tour because I "might" be able to play.

You also mention a "stink" amongst the Trump family in regards to his business because some watchdog groups (left wing as they are) say so. If the DOJ would like to investigate, they by all means they should. But you are essentially convicting them of crimes that you cannot even point to. At least with Hillary, those of us that believed that she was doing a "pay for play" with foreign gov'ts, could point to the outrageous speaking fees that Bill and the foundation were receiving while she was SOS and running for POTUS. (Uranium one deal comes to mind).
There are 10+ articles above that I'd be happy to hear good explanations for.
Despite the source you don't like. the facts don't change based on whose lips it comes from.

And in my book attempted profiting is just as bad a actually profiting.
Same as I'd be upset if someone TRIED to kill me but failed.
The fact that they failed doesn't mean there was no crime committed. Or that there's no evidence of the crime attempt.

If your neighbor has guns mounted and pointed at your bathroom mirror, and several good reasons he'd benefit if you were dead. Any reasonable person would suspect that they might be thinking of taking a few shots.
rather than assuming the best intentions and waiting for bullet holes and smoking guns BEFORE your seriously consider it a problem.
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2018, 04:50 PM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,385
Thanks: 3,697
Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,185 Posts
Default Re: Trump admin says Trump can profit from foreign hotel guests

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
There are 10+ articles above that I'd be happy to hear good explanations for.
Despite the source you don't like. the facts don't change based on whose lips it comes from.

And in my book attempted profiting is just as bad a actually profiting.
Same as I'd be upset if someone TRIED to kill me but failed.
The fact that they failed doesn't mean there was no crime committed. Or that there's no evidence of the crime attempt.

If your neighbor has guns mounted and pointed at your bathroom mirror, and several good reasons he'd benefit if you were dead. Any reasonable person would suspect that they might be thinking of taking a few shots.
rather than assuming the best intentions and waiting for bullet holes and smoking guns BEFORE your seriously consider it a problem.
So are you saying that Trump did something similar to attempted murder?

In your opinion, what should Trump do? Tell foreign dignitaries they are not allowed in his Hotels?

What if they spend money at a bakery in New York?
Will that mean the baker is profiting from foreign dignitaries?
I hope they don't put extra frosting on the cake.
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2018, 04:56 PM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,781
Thanks: 9,627
Thanked 5,893 Times in 3,980 Posts
Default Re: Trump admin says Trump can profit from foreign hotel guests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Man View Post
So are you saying that Trump did something similar to attempted murder?
is that what i said?
no.
It's only similar to in the sense of crimes and attempted crimes.
if murder is too strong a crime for you to think about replace it with somethings that less shocking.
like shoplifting. and attempted shoplifting.
or car theft and attempted car theft
or dognapping and attempted dognapping.

the point is a crime and attempted crime both are wrong and both have evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Man View Post
In your opinion, what should Trump do? Tell foreign dignitaries they are not allowed in his Hotels?
that's one thing he could do... if he really wanted to avoid any hint of misconduct.
is "making America great again" worth the loss of a few customers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Man View Post
What if they spend money at a bakery in New York?
Will that mean the baker is profiting from foreign dignitaries?
I hope they don't put extra frosting on the cake.
So are you saying there's NO such thing as politicians getting kickbacks? Or that Trump and republicans are BY DEFAULT immune to it and have never done anything like it?

c'mon dogman you know better.
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8

Last edited by mr wonder; 06-15-2018 at 05:02 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2018, 05:07 PM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,385
Thanks: 3,697
Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,185 Posts
Default Re: Trump admin says Trump can profit from foreign hotel guests

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
is that what i said?
no.
It's only similar to in the sense of crimes and attempted crimes.
if murder is too strong a crime for you to think about replace it with somethings that less shocking.
like shoplifting. and attempted shoplifting.
or car theft and attempted car theft
or dognapping and attempted dognapping.

the point is a crime and attempted crime both are wrong and both have evidence.


that's one thing he could do... if he really wanted to avoid any hint of misconduct.
is "making America great again" worth the loss of a few customers ?


So are you saying there's NO such thing as politicians getting kickbacks? Or that Trump and republicans are BY DEFAULT immune to it and have never done anything like it?

c'mon dogman you know better.
Of course politicians get kick backs and perks all the time, that is why they get into politics. I think Trump is one of the few that didn't get into it for the money.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
admin, can, foreign, from, guests, hotel, profit, says, trump

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0