Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > The President & the Executive Branch
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The President & the Executive Branch Discuss Trump admin says Trump can profit from foreign hotel guests at the Political Forums; Originally Posted by saltwn It's based on informed honesty. What is informed honesty? It's still an opinion....

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2018, 07:06 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,272
Thanks: 8,737
Thanked 7,179 Times in 4,338 Posts
Default Re: Trump admin says Trump can profit from foreign hotel guests

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
It's based on informed honesty.
What is informed honesty?

It's still an opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2018, 08:14 PM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 16,262
Thanks: 9,283
Thanked 9,848 Times in 6,010 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: Trump admin says Trump can profit from foreign hotel guests

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
Is there any evidence the family has done that?
Nope, no evidence whatsoever. But hey, to Resistance zealots their imagination is all that's necessary. You see, renting a hotel room from a multibillion dollar company is buying influence.

The emoluments clause was designed to prevent Federal officials from accepting titles and bribes from foreign governments. Last I checked, renting a hotel room at fair market value wasn't included. A fabulously wealth sheik renting a penthouse suite at one of Washington's newest and nicest luxury hotel, oh the scandal.

There are laws against selling influence like having your spouse get paid more than double the usual speaking fee while your department considers their government's application to buy a strategic resource but it it has nothing to do with emoluments. Of course Democrats become super pious when a Republican is in office.
__________________
The Democrat's strategy for the Trump Presidency is the same one used by Stalin's secret police chief "show me the man and I will show you the crime."
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2018, 08:54 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 77,260
Thanks: 54,331
Thanked 25,806 Times in 18,387 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Trump admin says Trump can profit from foreign hotel guests

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
What is informed honesty?

It's still an opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
Nope, no evidence whatsoever. But hey, to Resistance zealots their imagination is all that's necessary. You see, renting a hotel room from a multibillion dollar company is buying influence.

The emoluments clause was designed to prevent Federal officials from accepting titles and bribes from foreign governments. Last I checked, renting a hotel room at fair market value wasn't included. A fabulously wealth sheik renting a penthouse suite at one of Washington's newest and nicest luxury hotel, oh the scandal.

There are laws against selling influence like having your spouse get paid more than double the usual speaking fee while your department considers their government's application to buy a strategic resource but it it has nothing to do with emoluments. Of course Democrats become super pious when a Republican is in office.
the law states there does not have to be evidence of bribery to break the emoluments law. just the appearance should have kept trump at bay but he goes where angels fear to tread
__________________
Do not mind anything that anyone tells you about anyone else. Judge everyone and everything for yourself.
Henry James
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2018, 09:15 PM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,709
Thanks: 9,603
Thanked 5,845 Times in 3,950 Posts
Default Re: Trump admin says Trump can profit from foreign hotel guests

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
Is there any evidence the family has done that?
As i said one would have to be party to every conversation to know that it's NOT happening.
Anyone taping his phones now?
But the point is he's still got a huge personal stake in the success of the biz. And the use of his official position can clearly be compromised by that stake. If he had truly divested himself the cloud of the question would not be there.
But in general Yes, "the family" has already used daddy's offices as a tool to TRY and move "family" business interest.


PANAMA CITY (AP) — U.S. President Donald Trump’s company appealed directly to Panama’s president to intervene in its fight over control of a luxury hotel, even invoking a treaty between the two countries, in what ethics experts say was a blatant mingling of Trump’s business and government interests. That appeal in a letter last month from lawyers for the Trump Organization to Panamanian President Juan Carlos Varela was apparently unsuccessful — an emergency arbitrator made days later declined to reinstate the Trump management team to the waterfront hotel in Panama City. But it provides hard proof of exactly the kind of conflict experts feared when Trump refused to divest from a sprawling empire that includes hotels, golf courses, licensing deals and other interests in more than 20 countries....

https://apnews.com/bcba3f280f5f4ce78cc10a865ca617cb
Then there's the Son-in-laws plays to get Chinese investors into their NJ real estate deal, and using a lack VISA program to boot.
Federal prosecutors are investigating Kushner Companies, the real estate firm owned by the family of Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law and senior adviser, over its use of a program that grants visas to wealthy overseas investors.
The authorities, in part, are looking into the role of Mr. Kushner’s sister, Nicole Meyer, according to a person familiar with the matter who confirmed the inquiry.
The investigation centers on the real estate company’s use of the so-called EB-5 program, which offers visas to foreigners in exchange for a $500,000 investment. Critics say the program has weak oversight and lax rules.
At a marketing event in May, Ms. Meyer promoted the company’s connections to the Trump administration as she courted Chinese investors for a pair of luxury apartment towers being built by the Kushner Companies in New Jersey. The project “means a lot to me and my entire family,” she told prospective investors at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Beijing....

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/03/b...een-cards.html
and the other NJ deal
March 10, 2018 - LONG BRANCH, N.J. — Jared Kushner’s family company recently began construction on an oceanfront development in this Jersey Shore city, a project that has the strong backing of local officials, who agreed to support it with $20 million in bonds. But unknown to Long Branch officials, the Kushners have been in talks to team up with another family-run company that has an even bigger presence in the White House: the Trump Organization.

The Kushners are in private discussions to have President Trump’s company manage at least one hotel at the center of the development known as Pier Village, according to people briefed on the previously unreported talks. The Kushner Companies and the Trump Organization have signed a letter of intent, though no deal is final and the Kushners are not required to inform city officials.

The long-running talks blur the line between family, business and politics in ways that lack precedent: Both Mr. Trump and Mr. Kushner, the president’s senior adviser and son-in-law, retain financial interests in their family businesses. The Trump Organization’s outside ethics adviser has raised questions about a potential deal — one reason the two-year-long discussions have not been completed. The talks are underway as the White House role of Mr. Kushner has become increasingly strained because of his business dealings. Mr. Kushner lost his top-secret security clearance last month, in part because of worries that foreign governments might try to gain influence by doing business with him....
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/10/b...tel-deals.html
Why would the secret service feel the need if there were NO chance of a problem. But the thing is as reported above there is in fact already problems.
...Donald Trump Jr. is reportedly planning to launch two new luxury residencies in India within the next few weeks. Ivanka Trump has been granted exclusive rights to use her name in countries like China and Japan, allowing her business to sell high-end spa packages and accessories even as she works as a senior adviser to the president....
Five Ways the Trumps Have Gotten Richer Since the Election
see more (and even worse?) at the links below
https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalex.../#26bd560748f9

https://sunlightfoundation.com/track...s-of-interest/

Trump financial conflicts of interest set dangerous precedent - Business Insider

Some might want to simply Tut Tut and LOL each of the above away, but the fact is there are brown stains on Trumps pants, brown liquid on his shoes and a stink in the room. That may not be "PROOF" enough for some true believers but for most folks it's enough to begin to do some investigation and probably start cleaning up the Crap. And not pretend that there's nothing to it.
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2018, 10:36 PM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 53,423
Thanks: 2,093
Thanked 33,105 Times in 19,256 Posts
Default Re: Trump admin says Trump can profit from foreign hotel guests

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
yes, if it means avoiding all appearances and the possible reality of it being a conflict of interest.
The thing is that He should have divested himself from all such businesses in the 1st place.
Bullsh*t...

There's nothig in the Constitution that says, "There more financially successful you are, the more you get punished"...



As a side note, I don't remember Obama tallying the number of foreigners, lobbyists, and others wanting to gain favors by buying the books he wrote before he was president...

But he DID cash those royalty checks!...

Obamas report $5.5 million in income on 2009 tax return

Quote:
On Jan. 20, 2009, Barack Obama raised his hand and took the oath of office. It made him president, and it didn't hurt his book sales, either.

On Thursday, the White House posted online the 2009 tax return for the president and the first lady, offering a peek into the book royalty engine that continues to fuel their status as millionaires.

The first couple reported an adjusted gross income of $5.5 million, almost all of it from royalties associated with the president's two bestsellers: "Dreams from My Father" and "The Audacity of Hope."

The first book -- about Obama's early life and his struggle to find a racial identity -- earned about $3.3 million in 2009. The second, a more policy-oriented book, brought in $2.3 million for the president and his family.
If Trump makes money over stuff he did before he was president and his hotel rooms are being rented to people wanting to gain favors (both foreign and domestic), that's bad...

But if Obama makes money over stuff he did before he was president and his books are being sold to people wanting to gain favors (both foreign and domestic), that's A-OK...

Because you know...That's "different"...
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cnredd For This Useful Post:
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2018, 05:39 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,893
Thanks: 3,537
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,476 Posts
Default Re: Trump admin says Trump can profit from foreign hotel guests

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
Bullsh*t...

There's nothig in the Constitution that says, "There more financially successful you are, the more you get punished"...



As a side note, I don't remember Obama tallying the number of foreigners, lobbyists, and others wanting to gain favors by buying the books he wrote before he was president...

But he DID cash those royalty checks!...

Obamas report $5.5 million in income on 2009 tax return



If Trump makes money over stuff he did before he was president and his hotel rooms are being rented to people wanting to gain favors (both foreign and domestic), that's bad...

But if Obama makes money over stuff he did before he was president and his books are being sold to people wanting to gain favors (both foreign and domestic), that's A-OK...

Because you know...That's "different"...
The funny part is that Trump owned these hotels long before he ever ran for president. As they are usually high end hotels, I suspect they have been accommodating foreign dignitaries before he ran just as they do now. But somehow we are to believe that now it is because he is president. Why were they staying at Trump properties before that? What favors were they wanting then?
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2018, 06:51 AM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,709
Thanks: 9,603
Thanked 5,845 Times in 3,950 Posts
Default Re: Trump admin says Trump can profit from foreign hotel guests

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
The funny part is that Trump owned these hotels long before he ever ran for president. As they are usually high end hotels, I suspect they have been accommodating foreign dignitaries before he ran just as they do now. But somehow we are to believe that now it is because he is president. Why were they staying at Trump properties before that? What favors were they wanting then?
Sure, they just wanted hotel rooms then.
but NOW the owner is the president so instead of choosing randomly from many high end hotels they have a choice to get a hotel AND to buy favor from the most powerful gov't official in the world.
I'm not so sure why that's a crazy concept.


If you're a local real estate developer and building contractor, and you've been buying tools and supplies from 7 different suppliers simply on service, quality and price, But one day one the of the supply stores owners becomes the Mayor and his kids the building inspectors. Suddenly, buying ALL your stuff from their store potentially has FAR more value.

it's not crazy or new, it's buying influence and access 101... or corporate/gov't corruption 101.
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8

Last edited by mr wonder; 06-14-2018 at 06:58 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2018, 09:58 AM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 16,262
Thanks: 9,283
Thanked 9,848 Times in 6,010 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: Trump admin says Trump can profit from foreign hotel guests

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
As i said one would have to be party to every conversation to know that it's NOT happening.
Anyone taping his phones now?
But the point is he's still got a huge personal stake in the success of the biz. And the use of his official position can clearly be compromised by that stake. If he had truly divested himself the cloud of the question would not be there.
But in general Yes, "the family" has already used daddy's offices as a tool to TRY and move "family" business interest.


PANAMA CITY (AP) — U.S. President Donald Trump’s company appealed directly to Panama’s president to intervene in its fight over control of a luxury hotel, even invoking a treaty between the two countries, in what ethics experts say was a blatant mingling of Trump’s business and government interests. That appeal in a letter last month from lawyers for the Trump Organization to Panamanian President Juan Carlos Varela was apparently unsuccessful — an emergency arbitrator made days later declined to reinstate the Trump management team to the waterfront hotel in Panama City. But it provides hard proof of exactly the kind of conflict experts feared when Trump refused to divest from a sprawling empire that includes hotels, golf courses, licensing deals and other interests in more than 20 countries....

https://apnews.com/bcba3f280f5f4ce78cc10a865ca617cb
Then there's the Son-in-laws plays to get Chinese investors into their NJ real estate deal, and using a lack VISA program to boot.
Federal prosecutors are investigating Kushner Companies, the real estate firm owned by the family of Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law and senior adviser, over its use of a program that grants visas to wealthy overseas investors.
The authorities, in part, are looking into the role of Mr. Kushner’s sister, Nicole Meyer, according to a person familiar with the matter who confirmed the inquiry.
The investigation centers on the real estate company’s use of the so-called EB-5 program, which offers visas to foreigners in exchange for a $500,000 investment. Critics say the program has weak oversight and lax rules.
At a marketing event in May, Ms. Meyer promoted the company’s connections to the Trump administration as she courted Chinese investors for a pair of luxury apartment towers being built by the Kushner Companies in New Jersey. The project “means a lot to me and my entire family,” she told prospective investors at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Beijing....

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/03/b...een-cards.html
and the other NJ deal
March 10, 2018 - LONG BRANCH, N.J. — Jared Kushner’s family company recently began construction on an oceanfront development in this Jersey Shore city, a project that has the strong backing of local officials, who agreed to support it with $20 million in bonds. But unknown to Long Branch officials, the Kushners have been in talks to team up with another family-run company that has an even bigger presence in the White House: the Trump Organization.

The Kushners are in private discussions to have President Trump’s company manage at least one hotel at the center of the development known as Pier Village, according to people briefed on the previously unreported talks. The Kushner Companies and the Trump Organization have signed a letter of intent, though no deal is final and the Kushners are not required to inform city officials.

The long-running talks blur the line between family, business and politics in ways that lack precedent: Both Mr. Trump and Mr. Kushner, the president’s senior adviser and son-in-law, retain financial interests in their family businesses. The Trump Organization’s outside ethics adviser has raised questions about a potential deal — one reason the two-year-long discussions have not been completed. The talks are underway as the White House role of Mr. Kushner has become increasingly strained because of his business dealings. Mr. Kushner lost his top-secret security clearance last month, in part because of worries that foreign governments might try to gain influence by doing business with him....
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/10/b...tel-deals.html
Why would the secret service feel the need if there were NO chance of a problem. But the thing is as reported above there is in fact already problems.
...Donald Trump Jr. is reportedly planning to launch two new luxury residencies in India within the next few weeks. Ivanka Trump has been granted exclusive rights to use her name in countries like China and Japan, allowing her business to sell high-end spa packages and accessories even as she works as a senior adviser to the president....
Five Ways the Trumps Have Gotten Richer Since the Election
see more (and even worse?) at the links below
https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalex.../#26bd560748f9

https://sunlightfoundation.com/track...s-of-interest/

Trump financial conflicts of interest set dangerous precedent - Business Insider

Some might want to simply Tut Tut and LOL each of the above away, but the fact is there are brown stains on Trumps pants, brown liquid on his shoes and a stink in the room. That may not be "PROOF" enough for some true believers but for most folks it's enough to begin to do some investigation and probably start cleaning up the Crap. And not pretend that there's nothing to it.
Trump's business was successful before he entered politics it continues to be successful under the direction of his sons without him directing the company. Trump set up a sort of trust complete with a special master to divorce himself from his company. Critics can't stand the fact the President is a successful businessman. Why he ought to have made money the "acceptable" way, peddling books and collecting speaking fees.

Kushner's family has built a real estate investment business which continues today. There is no evidence he directs it from the WH. Several weeks ago it was announced his security clearance had been restored. But why let that get in the way of a rant.

Slinging the brown stuff in hopes some will stick to Trump only undermines credibility of the critics. Democrats were comfortable with a phony charity being used as a money laundry and studiously ignored the plundering of earthquake relief funds. But renting a hotel room to a foreigner? That's a criminal act.
__________________
The Democrat's strategy for the Trump Presidency is the same one used by Stalin's secret police chief "show me the man and I will show you the crime."
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2018, 12:13 PM
GetAClue's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,893
Thanks: 3,537
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,476 Posts
Default Re: Trump admin says Trump can profit from foreign hotel guests

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
Sure, they just wanted hotel rooms then.
but NOW the owner is the president so instead of choosing randomly from many high end hotels they have a choice to get a hotel AND to buy favor from the most powerful gov't official in the world.
I'm not so sure why that's a crazy concept.


If you're a local real estate developer and building contractor, and you've been buying tools and supplies from 7 different suppliers simply on service, quality and price, But one day one the of the supply stores owners becomes the Mayor and his kids the building inspectors. Suddenly, buying ALL your stuff from their store potentially has FAR more value.

it's not crazy or new, it's buying influence and access 101... or corporate/gov't corruption 101.
If foreign dignitaries were all of a sudden renting exclusively from Trump if similar accommodations are available in the area for a cheaper price, you may have somewhat of an argument. (There are still other things to consider such as proximity to the location you will be doing business at, availability, etc.)

What kills me is thinking that a guy worth billions of dollars would jeopardize his election for the prospects of his company making a few thousand dollars. That is ludicrous on it's face.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2018, 12:24 PM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,248
Thanks: 3,555
Thanked 4,439 Times in 3,120 Posts
Default Re: Trump admin says Trump can profit from foreign hotel guests

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
Sure, they just wanted hotel rooms then.
but NOW the owner is the president so instead of choosing randomly from many high end hotels they have a choice to get a hotel AND to buy favor from the most powerful gov't official in the world.
I'm not so sure why that's a crazy concept.


If you're a local real estate developer and building contractor, and you've been buying tools and supplies from 7 different suppliers simply on service, quality and price, But one day one the of the supply stores owners becomes the Mayor and his kids the building inspectors. Suddenly, buying ALL your stuff from their store potentially has FAR more value.

it's not crazy or new, it's buying influence and access 101... or corporate/gov't corruption 101.
What favors are they buying? What did Trump do for them as POTUS? or is this a theory being pushed as something that actually happened?

Now if you told me that someone paid Melania 500k for a 15 minute speech, and then Trump handed over American assets to them, I would say bring him up on charges.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dog Man For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
admin, can, foreign, from, guests, hotel, profit, says, trump

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0