Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > The President & the Executive Branch
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The President & the Executive Branch Discuss TODAY: Donald Trump Meets With 400 Top Anti-LGBT Christian Conservatives at the Political Forums; Donald Trump on Tuesday will meet behind closed doors with 400 of America's Christian conservatives who have devoted their lives ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-21-2016, 09:18 PM
winston53660's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,232
Thanks: 1,853
Thanked 4,275 Times in 3,197 Posts
Default TODAY: Donald Trump Meets With 400 Top Anti-LGBT Christian Conservatives

Donald Trump on Tuesday will meet behind closed doors with 400 of America's Christian conservatives who have devoted their lives to Jesus Christ and their professional careers to demonizing LGBT people. Among those who follow the culture wars, the names are foundational. Every person invited has had an intentionally negative, often dangerous and extremely harmful impact on LGBT people and the LGBT community.

Among them, James Dobson, who founded both Focus on the Family and the Family Research Council. Tony Perkins, who turned Dobson's Family Research Council into a certified anti-gay hate group. Tim Wildmon, head of the anti-gay hate group American Family Association. Penny Nance of Concerned Women for America. Televangelist Pat Robertson, who blamed 9/11 on gay people. Ralph Reed, who headed Pat Robertson's Christian Coalition, and now runs the Faith & Freedom Coalition. Ronnie Floyd, president of the Southern Baptist Convention. Family Leader president Bob Vander Plaats. American Values president Gary Bauer. Former Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli.

Ben Carson, who has endorsed Trump and is a surrogate for the campaign, is actively involved in planning the meeting. Carson months ago accepted a position as chairman of MyFaithVotes.

Trump is also expected to announce today a coalition of faith leaders, possibly chaired by Mike Huckabee, who will form a group of Christian extremists in support of Trump.

TIME, which first reported on the meeting last month, calls it a "step that could lead to an eventual embrace of the presumptive Republican nominee."

Today's event is titled, "A Conversation About America's Future with Donald Trump and Ben Carson." Carson is expected to act as moderator and a bridge between Trump and the Christian conservatives.

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter
Follow
Tim Alberta @TimAlberta
LOOK: Evangelical leaders just sent these invitations for June 21 meeting w/ #Trump in NYC Top Evangelicals Send Invites for Trump Meeting | National Review
10:59 AM - 24 May 2016
15 15 Retweets 5 5 likes
Michelangelo Signorile, who wrote about today's meeting at The Huffington Post earlier this month, offers this warning: "No matter what Trump has said in the past, or what the media or desperate gay Republicans may say now, there’s no question that Trump must bow to an anti-LGBT agenda if he wants to win the presidency. That makes him a mortal danger to LGBT equality."

TODAY: Donald Trump Meets With 400 Top Anti-LGBT Christian Conservatives - The New Civil Rights Movement

I wander what Trump said?
__________________
Originally Posted by TiredRetired View Post
Damn shame it couldn't have been a father / son event. IMHO.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-21-2016, 09:44 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,620
Thanks: 10,112
Thanked 15,311 Times in 9,282 Posts
Post Re: TODAY: Donald Trump Meets With 400 Top Anti-LGBT Christian Conservatives

I realize this is going to get lost in the automatic responding to the article without even looking at things, but I'll throw it out there anyways...

In this country, there have been SOME groups which have focused on the marriage issue and just the marriage issue.
For them, I can have some level of respect (depending upon their approach) and would urge people not to blindly label as "anti-gay".

What the right needs to realize (or will refuse to recognize) is that there have been OTHER groups which were demonizing gays long before gay marriage was a possibility on the road map. Groups which have a long history in demonizing gays with statements that would make the right's head spin if it were said about Christians instead.

The names mentioned below are names I'm all too familiar with and their attacks on gays go well beyond just wanting the marriage name for just straight couples and well into a land of making a business out of attacking gays.


* Focus on the Family
* Family Research Council
* American Family Association
* Concerned Women for America
* Pat Robertson

Anybody need examples?
I have provided them in the past and I'll be happy to provide them again.
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by foundit66; 06-21-2016 at 09:50 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-21-2016, 09:51 PM
winston53660's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,232
Thanks: 1,853
Thanked 4,275 Times in 3,197 Posts
Default Re: TODAY: Donald Trump Meets With 400 Top Anti-LGBT Christian Conservatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
I realize this is going to get lost in the automatic responding to the article without even looking at things, but I'll throw it out there anyways...

In this country, there have been SOME groups which have focused on the marriage issue and just the marriage issue.
For them, I can have some level of respect and would urge people not to blindly label as "anti-gay".

What the right needs to realize (or will refuse to recognize) is that there have been OTHER groups which were demonizing gays long before gay marriage was a possibility on the road map. Groups which have a long history in demonizing gays with statements that would make the right's head spin if it were said about Christians instead.

The names mentioned below are names I'm all too familiar with and their attacks on gays go well beyond just wanting the marriage name for just straight couples and well into a land of making a business out of attacking gays.


* Focus on the Family
* Family Research Council
* American Family Association
* Concerned Women for America
* Pat Robertson

Anybody need examples?
I have provided them in the past and I'll be happy to provide them again.
I just find it odd considering some of the threads around here about gays and Trump.
__________________
Originally Posted by TiredRetired View Post
Damn shame it couldn't have been a father / son event. IMHO.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-22-2016, 03:57 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,584
Thanks: 13,175
Thanked 4,714 Times in 3,028 Posts
Default Re: TODAY: Donald Trump Meets With 400 Top Anti-LGBT Christian Conservatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
Donald Trump on Tuesday will meet behind closed doors with 400 of America's Christian conservatives who have devoted their lives to Jesus Christ and their professional careers to demonizing LGBT people.
Although I do not really know what every one of "America's Christian conservatives" may have done, I am not aware of any who have "devoted...their professional careers to demonizing LGBT people."

Rather, "Christian conservatives" (as regarding which, I am familiar, anyway) preach only what the New Testament actually says about homosexuals.

And it says that those who practice homosexuality "shall not inherit the kingdom of God."

Simply reiterating what the New Testament actually says about the matter is hardly tantamount to "demonizing" anyone...
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got it…"—George Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-22-2016, 04:02 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,584
Thanks: 13,175
Thanked 4,714 Times in 3,028 Posts
Default Re: TODAY: Donald Trump Meets With 400 Top Anti-LGBT Christian Conservatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
I realize this is going to get lost in the automatic responding to the article without even looking at things, but I'll throw it out there anyways...

In this country, there have been SOME groups which have focused on the marriage issue and just the marriage issue.
For them, I can have some level of respect (depending upon their approach) and would urge people not to blindly label as "anti-gay".

What the right needs to realize (or will refuse to recognize) is that there have been OTHER groups which were demonizing gays long before gay marriage was a possibility on the road map. Groups which have a long history in demonizing gays with statements that would make the right's head spin if it were said about Christians instead.

The names mentioned below are names I'm all too familiar with and their attacks on gays go well beyond just wanting the marriage name for just straight couples and well into a land of making a business out of attacking gays.


* Focus on the Family
* Family Research Council
* American Family Association
* Concerned Women for America
* Pat Robertson

Anybody need examples?
I have provided them in the past and I'll be happy to provide them again.
Whereas I am not much of a fan of Pat Robertson--he is a charismatic (which I am not), and he regularly attempts to drain the wallets of listeners--I am unaware of what he may have said in this regard; and, perhaps more importantly, what the other groups mentioned may have said.

Offhand, I do not know whether you are right or wrong; but I am not aware of hatred being spewed toward homosexuals.

If you would provide some examples, I would certainly be much obliged.
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got it…"—George Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-22-2016, 04:39 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,620
Thanks: 10,112
Thanked 15,311 Times in 9,282 Posts
Post Re: TODAY: Donald Trump Meets With 400 Top Anti-LGBT Christian Conservatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
Although I do not really know what every one of "America's Christian conservatives" may have done, I am not aware of any who have "devoted...their professional careers to demonizing LGBT people."
The root of this lack of knowledge is likely based in your lack of knowledge of the organizations involved.

What do you know of the groups I referenced and their statements on gays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
Rather, "Christian conservatives" (as regarding which, I am familiar, anyway) preach only what the New Testament actually says about homosexuals.

What I am referencing is NOT just preaching what the New Testament says.
In fact, none of the examples I am thinking of regarding these organizations involve the bible.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
Whereas I am not much of a fan of Pat Robertson--he is a charismatic (which I am not), and he regularly attempts to drain the wallets of listeners--I am unaware of what he may have said in this regard; and, perhaps more importantly, what the other groups mentioned may have said.
Offhand, I do not know whether you are right or wrong; but I am not aware of hatred being spewed toward homosexuals.
If you would provide some examples, I would certainly be much obliged.
Robertson, on the recent Orlando situation regarding Islam and gays and the impact on perceived liberal policies...
“The left is having a dilemma of major proportions and I think for those of us who disagree with some of their policies, the best thing to do is to sit on the sidelines and let them kill themselves
Also from Robertson on gays & Hitler.
"Many of those people involved in Adolf Hitler were Satanists. Many were homosexuals. The two things seem to go together."
Also from Robertson with idiotic lying, spreading fear-mongering about gays...
You know what they do in San Francisco, some in the gay community there they want to get people so if they got the stuff [AIDS] they'll have a ring, you shake hands, and the ring's got a little thing where you cut your finger.... Really. It's that kind of vicious stuff, which would be the equivalent of murder.
Just out of curiosity, would you think I was "anti-Christian" if I tried to start a rumor that Christians were running around trying to deliberately spread AIDS with a ring that would infect you if you shook their hand?
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by foundit66; 06-22-2016 at 04:52 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-22-2016, 09:59 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,584
Thanks: 13,175
Thanked 4,714 Times in 3,028 Posts
Default Re: TODAY: Donald Trump Meets With 400 Top Anti-LGBT Christian Conservatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
The root of this lack of knowledge is likely based in your lack of knowledge of the organizations involved.
I cannot disagree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
What do you know of the groups I referenced and their statements on gays?
Actually, very little...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
rolls
What I am referencing is NOT just preaching what the New Testament says.
Good.

For that is all that really matters to me. (I am simply not a blind follower of individuals.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
Robertson, on the recent Orlando situation regarding Islam and gays and the impact on perceived liberal policies...
“The left is having a dilemma of major proportions and I think for those of us who disagree with some of their policies, the best thing to do is to sit on the sidelines and let them kill themselves
Also from Robertson on gays & Hitler.
"Many of those people involved in Adolf Hitler were Satanists. Many were homosexuals. The two things seem to go together."
Also from Robertson with idiotic lying, spreading fear-mongering about gays...
You know what they do in San Francisco, some in the gay community there they want to get people so if they got the stuff [AIDS] they'll have a ring, you shake hands, and the ring's got a little thing where you cut your finger.... Really. It's that kind of vicious stuff, which would be the equivalent of murder.
I do think that these statements are over the line.

As I noted previously, however, I do not follow charismatic individuals (whether "charismatic" in the theological sense of the word, or in the secular sense of it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
Just out of curiosity, would you think I was "anti-Christian" if I tried to start a rumor that Christians were running around trying to deliberately spread AIDS with a ring that would infect you if you shook their hand?
Yes. Certainly.
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got it…"—George Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-22-2016, 10:49 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Western Iowa
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,666
Thanks: 7,708
Thanked 4,100 Times in 2,669 Posts
Default Re: TODAY: Donald Trump Meets With 400 Top Anti-LGBT Christian Conservatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
In this country, there have been SOME groups which have focused on the marriage issue and just the marriage issue.
For them, I can have some level of respect (depending upon their approach) and would urge people not to blindly label as "anti-gay"..
BTW this would be me. Not so long ago I became a member of this category. Thank you Debateman.

I can respect the rest. Not that it really matters. Carry on.

Regards, Kirk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
400, antilgbt, christian, conservatives, donald, meets, today, top, trump, with

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0