Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > The President & the Executive Branch
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The President & the Executive Branch Discuss State of the Union registers at 8th grade reading level at the Political Forums; Originally Posted by Xcali He has to make his speeches so that Republicans can understand what he's saying, if he ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 15,839
Thanks: 8,734
Thanked 9,435 Times in 5,769 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: State of the Union registers at 8th grade reading level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcali View Post
He has to make his speeches so that Republicans can understand what he's saying, if he was just speaking to the Democrats it might be better.
If Obama was just speaking to Democrats, he'd have to dumb his speech down even more. Thanks to the Union/Democrat axis controlled "modern" educational system's production of students illiterate in every way except the recitation of grievences, today's 8th grade vocabulary is equivalent to a 6th graders in the past. Take a look at the 1895 test for promotion from the 8th grade used in Kansas.

Could You Pass the 8th Grade Exam of 1895? - by MWHodges

Of course President Obama wants to turn public high schools into prisions with compulsory attendence, not because it will benefit the students, but because it will pad teacher's union rolls.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2012, 12:23 PM
dabateman's Avatar
Buckle-up Buttercup
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,121
Thanks: 2,113
Thanked 8,454 Times in 4,955 Posts
Default Re: State of the Union registers at 8th grade reading level

One of the first rules of public speaking is to know your audience. In the case of diverse audiences (such as the State of the Union), your speech must reach even the least educated.

Reading anything else into that is political propaganda.
__________________
Continue that line of reasoning, Muffin... I'm judging you. Harshly.



You get the respect you give. And if you're a Republican, you b*tch about paybacks being a b*tch. So sorry you're mad your guy is getting the respect you gave ours, Snowflakes.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dabateman For This Useful Post:
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Xcali's Avatar
Dog Man Entertainment Grp
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Arkansas
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,194
Thanks: 486
Thanked 1,395 Times in 998 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Xcali
Default Re: State of the Union registers at 8th grade reading level

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
If Obama was just speaking to Democrats, he'd have to dumb his speech down even more. Thanks to the Union/Democrat axis controlled "modern" educational system's production of students illiterate in every way except the recitation of grievences, today's 8th grade vocabulary is equivalent to a 6th graders in the past. Take a look at the 1895 test for promotion from the 8th grade used in Kansas.

Could You Pass the 8th Grade Exam of 1895? - by MWHodges

Of course President Obama wants to turn public high schools into prisions with compulsory attendence, not because it will benefit the students, but because it will pad teacher's union rolls.
Too bad you have no evidence of fact to back all that drivel up with....
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Comet's Avatar
My God it's full of stars
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Earth
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,670
Thanks: 3,370
Thanked 5,313 Times in 3,416 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Comet
Default Re: State of the Union registers at 8th grade reading level

I prefer speakers that talk intelligently and do not "dumb down" their words. You only learn from being challenged.

My wife was an English major. I cannot begin to tell you the amount of times I had to run to a dictionary and look up the word(s) she used or called me.
__________________

"The oldest picture book in our possession is the midnight sky" - E. W. Maunder
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Comet For This Useful Post:
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2012, 10:16 PM
dabateman's Avatar
Buckle-up Buttercup
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,121
Thanks: 2,113
Thanked 8,454 Times in 4,955 Posts
Default Re: State of the Union registers at 8th grade reading level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
I prefer speakers that talk intelligently and do not "dumb down" their words. You only learn from being challenged.

My wife was an English major. I cannot begin to tell you the amount of times I had to run to a dictionary and look up the word(s) she used or called me.
I think this is my personal preference as well, but when the goal of your communication is to be understood, you don't want people running for the dictionary.

So that I think is the difference. Different goals.
__________________
Continue that line of reasoning, Muffin... I'm judging you. Harshly.



You get the respect you give. And if you're a Republican, you b*tch about paybacks being a b*tch. So sorry you're mad your guy is getting the respect you gave ours, Snowflakes.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dabateman For This Useful Post:
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 15,839
Thanks: 8,734
Thanked 9,435 Times in 5,769 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: State of the Union registers at 8th grade reading level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcali View Post
Too bad you have no evidence of fact to back all that drivel up with....
Too bad you cannot bother to do a simple internet search before you claim an assertion is drivel.

Quote:
Elementary and middle school students have improved greatly in math, but their reading skills have stagnated over the last two decades, federal officials said on Tuesday.
Quote:
“We’ve made major gains in math over two decades, but, in reading, frankly, we haven’t — there’ve been only modest improvements,” said David Driscoll, the chairman of the governing board that oversees the National Assessment of Educational Progress, the Department of Education’s standardized testing program.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/02/ed...ding-lags.html

There is plenty more information but you'll have to trouble with finding it yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2012, 01:33 PM
faithful_servant's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Beautiful conservative Central Oregon
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,290
Thanks: 6,030
Thanked 8,067 Times in 5,535 Posts
Default Re: State of the Union registers at 8th grade reading level

Isn't anyone here offended by the fact that the President's speechwriters think that Americans can only comprehend an 8th grade reading level?? Leave aside all the apologizing and stop and think for a second. Wouldn't you be offended if someone came up to you and started talking to you like this:
Hello Mikeyy. How are you today? Did you have a nice day? Was your dog nice to you? You look so neat and tidy (that means that you're not messy) today and that makes me so proud of you.

Assume the worst about people and they'll usually live to your expectations. Fortunately, in most cases the reverse holds true as well.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Xcali's Avatar
Dog Man Entertainment Grp
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Arkansas
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,194
Thanks: 486
Thanked 1,395 Times in 998 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Xcali
Default Re: State of the Union registers at 8th grade reading level

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
Too bad you cannot bother to do a simple internet search before you claim an assertion is drivel.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/02/ed...ding-lags.html

There is plenty more information but you'll have to trouble with finding it yourself.
No Actually it's really a shame that right wing know nothings continue to try to blame the current Administration for every possible fault they can find in America. For your information Obama hasn't done much to the Education system, Most states are still using the "All Children Left Behind" education system put in place by a Republican idiot named Bush.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2012, 02:04 PM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 52,936
Thanks: 2,041
Thanked 32,633 Times in 19,012 Posts
Default Re: State of the Union registers at 8th grade reading level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcali View Post
No Actually it's really a shame that right wing know nothings continue to try to blame the current Administration for every possible fault they can find in America.
The original article is from the leftwing Politico...
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2012, 03:06 PM
crazyflamingos's Avatar
What?
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alabama
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,352
Thanks: 12,200
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,610 Posts
Default Re: State of the Union registers at 8th grade reading level

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
Isn't anyone here offended by the fact that the President's speechwriters think that Americans can only comprehend an 8th grade reading level??
I am seldom offended by the truth. The average reading level is eighth grade. I have not seen any studies on verbal comprehension level but I have no reason to believe that it is higher.
Quote:
Leave aside all the apologizing and stop and think for a second.
I saw no one apologizing.
Quote:
Wouldn't you be offended if someone came up to you and started talking to you like this:
Hello Mikeyy. How are you today? Did you have a nice day? Was your dog nice to you? You look so neat and tidy (that means that you're not messy) today and that makes me so proud of you.
The sentences that you are using are, at the highest, about third grade level. So I fail to see the relevance of your analogy.
__________________

"A rising tide has lifted all yachts." Warren Buffett


Obama is not a dark skinned, anti-war socialist who gives away free health care; you're thinking of Jesus.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
8th, grade, level, reading, registers, state, the, union

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0