Political Wrinkles

Political Wrinkles (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/)
-   Polls (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/polls/)
-   -   Congress asks if radio stations should pay to play songs (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/polls/6528-congress-asks-if-radio-stations-should-pay-play-songs.html)

Spencer Collins 03-10-2009 12:03 AM

Congress asks if radio stations should pay to play songs
 
CONGRESS ASKS IF RADIO STATIONS SHOULD PAY TO PLAY SONGS

The House Judiciary Committee this week is considering a bill (H.R. 848) that would require AM and FM radio stations to pay royalties to songwriters when their material is played on the radio. The bipartisan bill brings radio station payments in line with what satellite, Internet and cable stations pay musicians for the use of their songs (the Senate version is S. 379). Should Congress close this loophole for radio stations? Take our poll and tell us.

cnredd 03-10-2009 01:27 AM

Re: Congress asks if radio stations should pay to play songs
 
Absolutely not!...

Songs being played on the radio are nothing more than A) commercials for current musicians' concerts and albums...and B) already paid for through the free market sponsorship (advertising)...

Spencer Collins 03-10-2009 03:05 AM

Re: Congress asks if radio stations should pay to play songs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cnredd (Post 55864)
Absolutely not!...

Songs being played on the radio are nothing more than A) commercials for current musicians' concerts and albums...and B) already paid for through the free market sponsorship (advertising)...

Are you saying that the ads pay the royalties to the artists?

cnredd 03-10-2009 10:56 AM

Re: Congress asks if radio stations should pay to play songs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spencer Collins (Post 55867)
Are you saying that the ads pay the royalties to the artists?

You're OP is a little off...

Musicians seek royalties from broadcast radio

Quote:

Sheryl Crow, will.i.am, Herbie Hancock and other entertainers on Tuesday urged Congress to force radio stations to pay performers when their music is broadcast.

Satellite radio, Internet radio and cable TV music channels already pay fees to performers and musicians, along with songwriter royalties. AM and FM radio stations pay royalties just to songwriters.
Radio ALREADY pays the songwriters...THAT is where the ad revenue goes (some of it at least)...

It's THE MUSICIANS that are demanding royalties...

And it's completely stupid...The whole idea of a musician having their song on the radio is to advertise their concerts and albums...They're not gonna get too many concert-goers if their music isn't played and no one knows about them...Radio playing their music is actually doing them a favor...

RuPaul XOXO 03-10-2009 02:04 PM

Re: Congress asks if radio stations should pay to play songs
 
What I'm wondering is where are the liberals who always scream about greedy people? Or is it OK to be greedy if you support the current congress? :nahnah

Spencer Collins 03-10-2009 02:57 PM

Re: Congress asks if radio stations should pay to play songs
 
Musicians are also artists...:yes

Quote:

Warwick said she hasn't been compensated while her songs played around the world for 48 years.

"I think now is about time that I do get paid," she said.
Free is good I can understand that concept but artists have the right to compensation every time their art is used. CD sales are way down,to say that these songs are just ads is ludicrous.The same people who oppose compensation download music to avoid paying the freight...:(

mlurp 04-11-2009 02:06 PM

Re: Congress asks if radio stations should pay to play songs
 
If the average American had a back bone they would impeach all these useless dim wits! And look for VETERANS in each state to take their place. You know the ones who understand sacrifices, service, honor and a code of conduct.
But most don't even know that is a right we have!

chuck7251 04-13-2009 08:04 PM

Re: Congress asks if radio stations should pay to play songs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlurp (Post 58873)
If the average American had a back bone they would impeach all these useless dim wits! And look for VETERANS in each state to take their place. You know the ones who understand sacrifices, service, honor and a code of conduct.
But most don't even know that is a right we have!

Just being a veteran does NOT qualify people to run a state. NOt even close.

I don't believe radio stations should pay to play music. If an artist thinks radio should pay they should simply pull their music from radio play, which they can do.

mlurp 04-14-2009 12:58 PM

Re: Congress asks if radio stations should pay to play songs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck7251 (Post 59159)
Just being a veteran does NOT qualify people to run a state. NOt even close.

I don't believe radio stations should pay to play music. If an artist thinks radio should pay they should simply pull their music from radio play, which they can do.

And having money and a party backing does! All that is required is to be able to read and say NO to lobbyist, to have a valid elected official.

Nice to see you again chuck7251. But I'm not going to debate you on my opinion. With an open mind you could see my point.

chuck7251 04-14-2009 04:42 PM

Re: Congress asks if radio stations should pay to play songs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlurp (Post 59229)
And having money and a party backing does! All that is required is to be able to read and say NO to lobbyist, to have a valid elected official.

Nice to see you again chuck7251. But I'm not going to debate you on my opinion. With an open mind you could see my point.

Hey Mlurp, I do see your point, I just disagree. Honestly, I have nothing but respect for veterans. Our country would never be what it is without those of you who fight for and protect our freedoms.

I just don't agree that veterans should be running our country. Realistically, I am just saying that JUST being a veteran does not qualify someone to run our cities and states. Now, I do think that if two people are equally qualified and one happens to be a veteran, I would like to see the veteran get the job. The reasons for that you stated... that they took the time and made the sacrifice and understand a bit more of the reality not just the academics of what is needed. All I am saying is that being a veteran cannot be the ONLY reason they get the job.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0