Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > Polls
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls Discuss WHO do you think is the CURRENT Biggest threat to the USA? at the General Forum; Originally Posted by treedancer I forgot...who was president the last time the budget was balanced? The guy before the Iraq ...

Poll: Who do you think is the CURRENT Biggest threat to the USA?
Poll Options
Who do you think is the CURRENT Biggest threat to the USA?

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2018, 10:40 AM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,402
Thanks: 3,713
Thanked 4,568 Times in 3,196 Posts
Default Re: WHO do you think is the CURRENT Biggest threat to the USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedancer View Post
I forgot...who was president the last time the budget was balanced?
The guy before the Iraq war?
Reply With Quote
  #62 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2018, 11:41 AM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,600
Thanks: 7,697
Thanked 10,634 Times in 6,006 Posts
Default Re: WHO do you think is the CURRENT Biggest threat to the USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Man View Post
The guy before the Iraq war?
Are you taking about Andrew Jackson?

Yeah, it's been a while.

Before we start naming a President who balanced the budget, perhaps we should take a refresher course on who actually approves, funds and implements the budget. In the case of Bill Clinton, he submitted a budget, but it was the Gingrich Congress that legislated the budget in his term. He simply signed off on the product they produced.

Again I will point out we have drifted off the subject. But in a way, not so much. Some here have suggested our worst enemy is from within. Some of the arguments and points presented in this conversation tend to prove the point.

IT IS US!
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE

Last edited by FrancSevin; 06-29-2018 at 11:53 AM..
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
  #63 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2018, 12:13 PM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,402
Thanks: 3,713
Thanked 4,568 Times in 3,196 Posts
Default Re: WHO do you think is the CURRENT Biggest threat to the USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
Are you taking about Andrew Jackson?

Yeah, it's been a while.

Before we start naming a President who balanced the budget, perhaps we should take a refresher course on who actually approves, funds and implements the budget. In the case of Bill Clinton, he submitted a budget, but it was the Gingrich Congress that legislated the budget in his term. He simply signed off on the product they produced.

Again I will point out we have drifted off the subject. But in a way, not so much. Some here have suggested our worst enemy is from within. Some of the arguments and points presented in this conversation tend to prove the point.

IT IS US!
I wish Newt was still in the picture. I have a feeling Big Don has consulted with him.
Reply With Quote
  #64 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2018, 12:48 PM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,600
Thanks: 7,697
Thanked 10,634 Times in 6,006 Posts
Default Re: WHO do you think is the CURRENT Biggest threat to the USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Man View Post
I wish Newt was still in the picture. I have a feeling Big Don has consulted with him.
It's more than a feelin. THE Donald has most certainly consulted with Newt. Newt has said as much.

After his victories with Contract with America, and tight control over the GOP's in Congress, the Quasi RINO's of GW Bush booted him out in 2001. That gave us a Republican "controlled" Congress with progressives calling the shots. 6 years later the GOP, deservedly, lost the Congress. 2 years later, the White House.

They are currently squandering their opportunities again. One of which is to curb spending to meet revenues. Yeah, we could use Newt back in there again.
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
  #65 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2018, 05:30 PM
Aide
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Gender: Male
Posts: 168
Thanks: 38
Thanked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Default Re: WHO do you think is the CURRENT Biggest threat to the USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
I don't think the debt is a threat per se. It's a symptom of the enemy within.
Agreed, and IMO the enemy within is Donald Trump. The once and no more GOP had the opportunity to put together a responsible budget, pass real tax reform, and begin to close the divide between liberals and conservatives.

What I've observed, is a much more greatly divided nation, a POTUS who has offended our allies, embraced our foes, and a Congress coward by the bully in the oval office. The GOP spent 8 years attacking Obama, for adding to the debt and playing too much golf; now we have a President, who plays more golf than did Obama, and has added to the deficit, increasing the debt by at least a trillion dollars.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wry Catcher For This Useful Post:
  #66 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2018, 07:34 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,302
Thanks: 9,961
Thanked 3,792 Times in 2,480 Posts
Default Re: WHO do you think is the CURRENT Biggest threat to the USA?

In the short term, it is entirely possible, I think, that Russia and North Korea may pose the greatest threat. (In which order, I am unsure.)

But China clearly poses the greatest long-term threat. (In fact, it is clearly playing the long game.)

And it is stealing our intellectual property.

So I voted for China, as our greatest threat.
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got it…"—George Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
  #67 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2018, 08:36 AM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,791
Thanks: 9,628
Thanked 5,902 Times in 3,987 Posts
Default Re: WHO do you think is the CURRENT Biggest threat to the USA?

i'm still here...
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
  #68 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2018, 10:20 AM
ShivaTD's Avatar
Progressive Libertarian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Immigrant to Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,447
Thanks: 1,457
Thanked 2,235 Times in 1,774 Posts
Default Re: WHO do you think is the CURRENT Biggest threat to the USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumara View Post
I voted Other as well. The biggest threat is the ruling elite, consisting of corporations and the corrupt politicians in their pockets. This has resulted in expanded federal powers and control over the people that the Constitution never granted to the government.
Well the 2018 election should be a welcome event for you and others. We have more "non-politicians" running for federal offices than I've ever witnessed before and they're running to stand up against the corrupt politicians and corporate control that we've had to endure since 2016.

Elections have consequences and the 2016 elections proved that not all consequences are good. The rebuttal to the negative consequences will be the 2018 election where new blood that isn't controlled by the political parties and that isn't under corporate control is emerging all over the country challenging the incumbents. Many are women challenging the male dominated political elite and even that's a turn for the better.

You can easily tell the new challengers are different because they're running on issues that united Americans as opposed to issues that divide Americans. They're not "running against Trump" but instead are running on issues like health care that affects all Americans. They support rational immigration reforms based upon American values. They support a pathway to citizenship for those covered by DACA that 85% of Americans support. They want to balance the budget by collecting enough revenue to fund expenditures while not imposing draconian taxation on working Americans. They want to improve public education in America. They want to unite families as opposed to splitting them and turning children into orphans. They support the Constitution as opposed to trying to find ways to circumvent it's protections. They oppose polluting our land, water and air because no one has a right to pollute. They want to save or natural public lands as opposed to reversing protections so that corporate interests can deny public access.

2018 challenges the establishment and is a referendum to reverse the negative consequences of the 2016 elections. Join the resistance to the status quo.
__________________
"I always had a rule, if a restaurant is dirty on the outside, it's dirty on the inside." Donald Trump

"I always had a rule, if the White House is dirty on the inside, it's dirty on the outside." ShivaTD

Based upon the corruption, brutality, inhumanity, immorality, dishonesty, and incompetence of the Trump administration the White House is the dirtiest house in America and there's no known cleanser that with remove the stains of the Trump Administration.
Reply With Quote
  #69 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2018, 10:47 AM
ShivaTD's Avatar
Progressive Libertarian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Immigrant to Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,447
Thanks: 1,457
Thanked 2,235 Times in 1,774 Posts
Default Re: WHO do you think is the CURRENT Biggest threat to the USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
In the short term, it is entirely possible, I think, that Russia and North Korea may pose the greatest threat. (In which order, I am unsure.)

But China clearly poses the greatest long-term threat. (In fact, it is clearly playing the long game.)

And it is stealing our intellectual property.

So I voted for China, as our greatest threat.
As far as external threats China is obviously the greatest long term threat but we have a more compelling internal threat because if Russia is successful in it's attack on American democracy there won't be a democratic United States in the future. Our internal threat is created by our President that, in his actions, is doing exactly what it takes to bring down a democracy and he's doing it as an ally of Russia.

"The media is the enemy of the people."
"Everyone is lying except me so only believe me."
"Our criminal justice system is corrupt."
"The president is above the law."
"The president decides what our national security threats are and his opinions cannot be challenged by facts."
"Dishonesty by the president is acceptable."
"Russia is our friend and not our enemy."
"Kim Jong Un is a nice person."
"I believe Putin and don't believe the unanimous conclusions of our intelligence agencies."
"The Russians didn't effect the vote in 2016 because Putin said so."
"A 400 lb man sitting on his couch interfered with the 2016 elections."
"There was no collusion (no matter what a criminal investigation uncovers)."
"Robert Mueller is out to get innocent people just to make me look bad."
"Terminating the TPP and handing over economic and political control to China in the Asian-Pacific region was a good idea."
"Ending the IAEA inspections of Iran's nuclear program provided for by the JCPOA is better than supporting the JCPOA as a member of the United Nations."
"The Paris Climate Accord didn't impose any mandatory obligations on any nation, including the United States, so it as a good idea for the US to drop out and lose our leadership role on climate."
"Canada is our enemy."
"The UK needs a new prime minister."
"The EU is bad for the US economically."
"Forcing nations to do what you want with threats is better than setting an example where other nations want to do what you want because they admire you."
"Destroying families is a good government policy."

We know where out long term national security threats are but it's the short term threats that can make the long term threats moot.
__________________
"I always had a rule, if a restaurant is dirty on the outside, it's dirty on the inside." Donald Trump

"I always had a rule, if the White House is dirty on the inside, it's dirty on the outside." ShivaTD

Based upon the corruption, brutality, inhumanity, immorality, dishonesty, and incompetence of the Trump administration the White House is the dirtiest house in America and there's no known cleanser that with remove the stains of the Trump Administration.
Reply With Quote
  #70 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2018, 11:15 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,302
Thanks: 9,961
Thanked 3,792 Times in 2,480 Posts
Default Re: WHO do you think is the CURRENT Biggest threat to the USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
As far as external threats China is obviously the greatest long term threat but we have a more compelling internal threat because if Russia is successful in it's attack on American democracy there won't be a democratic United States in the future. Our internal threat is created by our President that, in his actions, is doing exactly what it takes to bring down a democracy and he's doing it as an ally of Russia.

"The media is the enemy of the people."
"Everyone is lying except me so only believe me."
"Our criminal justice system is corrupt."
"The president is above the law."
"The president decides what our national security threats are and his opinions cannot be challenged by facts."
"Dishonesty by the president is acceptable."
"Russia is our friend and not our enemy."
"Kim Jong Un is a nice person."
"I believe Putin and don't believe the unanimous conclusions of our intelligence agencies."
"The Russians didn't effect the vote in 2016 because Putin said so."
"A 400 lb man sitting on his couch interfered with the 2016 elections."
"There was no collusion (no matter what a criminal investigation uncovers)."
"Robert Mueller is out to get innocent people just to make me look bad."
"Terminating the TPP and handing over economic and political control to China in the Asian-Pacific region was a good idea."
"Ending the IAEA inspections of Iran's nuclear program provided for by the JCPOA is better than supporting the JCPOA as a member of the United Nations."
"The Paris Climate Accord didn't impose any mandatory obligations on any nation, including the United States, so it as a good idea for the US to drop out and lose our leadership role on climate."
"Canada is our enemy."
"The UK needs a new prime minister."
"The EU is bad for the US economically."
"Forcing nations to do what you want with threats is better than setting an example where other nations want to do what you want because they admire you."
"Destroying families is a good government policy."

We know where out long term national security threats are but it's the short term threats that can make the long term threats moot.
The first one--the declaration that the media are the enemy of the people ("media" is the plural of medium; so "are" is appropriate here) is most unfortunate. Only in a totalitarian state are the media suppressed.

And the withdrawal from the JCPOA--based, in part, upon Iran's behavior, as a bad actor on the world stage--is a very good thing, I believe. (Actually, it is very hard for me to think of anything that former-President Obama did, that President Trump has since reversed, as regarding which I believe that Trump acted unwisely.)

Most of the others are either (1) a good thing, in my opinion--as with the withdrawal from the JCPOA, above; or (2) a misrepresentation of what President Trump actually said (or did).
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got it…"—George Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
biggest, current, the, think, threat, usa, who, you

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0