Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > Polls
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls Discuss Sikhs wearing head dressing in Uniforms at the General Forum; Originally Posted by Infidel Dog Sikh's maybe. Muslims no. With Muslims it's not a religious mandate. Nor should female Muslims ...

Poll: Should Sikhs/Muslims be allowed to wear turbans/head dresses with their uniforms?
Poll Options
Should Sikhs/Muslims be allowed to wear turbans/head dresses with their uniforms?

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Coyote's Avatar
Vole deMorte (the snack)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 14,492
Thanks: 11,549
Thanked 8,277 Times in 5,305 Posts
Default Re: Sikhs wearing head dressing in Uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel Dog View Post
Sikh's maybe. Muslims no. With Muslims it's not a religious mandate. Nor should female Muslims be in the army, or police force in a burqa, and they should take the head piece off to get photo ID, and to verify identification at airports and such. Some places allow Sikhs to drive motorcycles or bicycles without a helmet. That's wrong. If the law can trump personal freedom to make other people wear helmets on the grounds of safety, it also trumps religious freedom.

Some places allow Sikh boys to wear their Kirpan's (knives) to school. That's dumb.
It is with women and hair coverings though.
__________________

DISCLAIMER: Extreme amounts of sarcasm can possibly result in inflammatory situations. Not responsible for keyboard violence, spittle on the monitor, irrational responses mistaken for momentary brilliance, one-sided rages against hypocrisy or individual members or unintended consequences such as poor personal hygiene and bad spelling. Please fasten your seatbelts and put your trays in an upright position.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2012, 12:07 PM
MrLiberty's Avatar
professional curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,480
Thanks: 21,849
Thanked 18,562 Times in 11,912 Posts
Default Re: Sikhs wearing head dressing in Uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Flamingo View Post
No, we are talking about turbans. The Military have their uniform code. If they allow turbans then fine, but if a soldier wants to wear a different colour or type not allowed then he can't.

Obviously there are laws with non-Sikhs/Muslims/Jews who wear the regular issue beret or cap. What would happen if they want to deviate from it? Yes, they would not be allowed to.

The military run a 'tight ship' as it were and nobody is allowed to customise their uniform to suit themselves. Same with Sikhs. They should accept the turban that is offered as part of the uniform when they enlisted several months or years or whatever ago, and it should not be changed according to an individual or group's whim. The military turban is what they should wear, so they should put up and shut up or be disciplined according to whatever discipline would be meted out to a non-Sikh.

There is a bad enough recruitment uptake in the military as it is but it needs to be made clear that Sikhs are welcome but need to abide by the type of turban the military allocates to them.


.
I do believe we are talking about our own countries standards. The United States ARMY already caved to allow turbans, and it sets a bad precedent for the future of the military. If we allow for one then we have to allow for all. You can't say it is alright for the Sikh and not muslim or Jew.
__________________
Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war.

Donald Trump
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Coyote's Avatar
Vole deMorte (the snack)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 14,492
Thanks: 11,549
Thanked 8,277 Times in 5,305 Posts
Default Re: Sikhs wearing head dressing in Uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLiberty View Post
I do believe we are talking about our own countries standards. The United States ARMY already caved to allow turbans, and it sets a bad precedent for the future of the military. If we allow for one then we have to allow for all. You can't say it is alright for the Sikh and not muslim or Jew.
Jewish headgear is also allowed. How is respecting religious gear, as long as it does not interfere with military gear - a bad precedent?
__________________

DISCLAIMER: Extreme amounts of sarcasm can possibly result in inflammatory situations. Not responsible for keyboard violence, spittle on the monitor, irrational responses mistaken for momentary brilliance, one-sided rages against hypocrisy or individual members or unintended consequences such as poor personal hygiene and bad spelling. Please fasten your seatbelts and put your trays in an upright position.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Empathist
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London, England
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,518
Thanks: 6,763
Thanked 5,604 Times in 3,951 Posts
Default Re: Sikhs wearing head dressing in Uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLiberty View Post
I do believe we are talking about our own countries standards. The United States ARMY already caved to allow turbans, and it sets a bad precedent for the future of the military. If we allow for one then we have to allow for all. You can't say it is alright for the Sikh and not muslim or Jew.
The British Army as I posted above also allows turbans. What "caving-in" is there? Would you prefer Sikhs not serving in the military simply because they are not allowed to wear the headgear that is a requirement of their religion. It is just a turban, a uniform colour and style, does not interfere with their duties and they have rules as to when they can and cannot wear it according to if they need other protective headgear during the course of their duties.

Muslims and Jews simply need to cover their head and therefore the Army regulation beret or cap is fine. It is only the Sikh that needs his special turban due to his long hair.

I would far rather several hundred or thousand Sikhs join yours or our military (should they feel inclined to), and serve with commitment and pride, than they are excluded because of the prohibition of turbans.


.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pretty Flamingo For This Useful Post:
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2012, 12:22 PM
MrLiberty's Avatar
professional curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,480
Thanks: 21,849
Thanked 18,562 Times in 11,912 Posts
Default Re: Sikhs wearing head dressing in Uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
Jewish headgear is also allowed. How is respecting religious gear, as long as it does not interfere with military gear - a bad precedent?
BY bowing to political correctness the military opened a pandoras box that can never be closed. What if muslim woman who are in the military want to wear their burkas for religious reasons? What is the muslim men want to wear beards because of religious reasons? Should they be allowed? The military by caving into one segment of society allowing them to change the uniform of the day for religious reasons now must do so for all religions.

BTW, the yamika(sp) is not obtrusive in any way and can be worn underneath a cap where it will not be seen.
__________________
Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war.

Donald Trump
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrLiberty For This Useful Post:
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2012, 12:26 PM
MrLiberty's Avatar
professional curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,480
Thanks: 21,849
Thanked 18,562 Times in 11,912 Posts
Default Re: Sikhs wearing head dressing in Uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Flamingo View Post
The British Army as I posted above also allows turbans. What "caving-in" is there? Would you prefer Sikhs not serving in the military simply because they are not allowed to wear the headgear that is a requirement of their religion. It is just a turban, a uniform colour and style, does not interfere with their duties and they have rules as to when they can and cannot wear it according to if they need other protective headgear during the course of their duties.

Muslims and Jews simply need to cover their head and therefore the Army regulation beret or cap is fine. It is only the Sikh that needs his special turban due to his long hair.

I would far rather several hundred or thousand Sikhs join yours or our military (should they feel inclined to), and serve with commitment and pride, than they are excluded because of the prohibition of turbans.


.
Long Hair? I had no idea that underneath the turbin a Sikh had long hair. Our military does not allow long hair, but yet this is another concession to appease a certain member of society.

In this country most know the standards that our military sets, but apparently some want to change those standards. Long hair, beards, and god knows what else is going to be next on the list of things they must allow for religious reasons.
__________________
Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war.

Donald Trump
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Empathist
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London, England
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,518
Thanks: 6,763
Thanked 5,604 Times in 3,951 Posts
Default Re: Sikhs wearing head dressing in Uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLiberty View Post
Long Hair? I had no idea that underneath the turbin a Sikh had long hair. Our military does not allow long hair, but yet this is another concession to appease a certain member of society.

In this country most know the standards that our military sets, but apparently some want to change those standards. Long hair, beards, and god knows what else is going to be next on the list of things they must allow for religious reasons.

Long hair is allowed under turbans and regulation length beards are allowed. What is the problem? Your military are not going to allow pink frilly tutus. If turbans and facial hair is regulation there is no problem here. Does it interfere with whatever they are doing? Of course not.

When people enlist they know the rules and are mature enough to accept them or not.


,
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pretty Flamingo For This Useful Post:
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2012, 12:46 PM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,471 Times in 6,020 Posts
Default Re: Sikhs wearing head dressing in Uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Flamingo View Post
When people enlist they know the rules and are mature enough to accept them or not.


,
Yup, and the rules should be the same for all, regardless of their chosen mythologies and desire to wear something different.
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Dave1's Avatar
...Fair and Balanced...
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston, Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,411
Thanks: 3,673
Thanked 4,701 Times in 2,764 Posts
Default Re: Sikhs wearing head dressing in Uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Flamingo View Post

Long hair is allowed under turbans and regulation length beards are allowed. What is the problem?

Allowing stupidity is the problem.....


Treat them all alike, everyone gets a haircut and a uniform.....

No special rules for any groups.....

One for all and all for one.....

If anyone can't handle these standards, they don't belong in the military......




That's how the best of the best roll, your mileage may vary.......
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave1 For This Useful Post:
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Coyote's Avatar
Vole deMorte (the snack)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 14,492
Thanks: 11,549
Thanked 8,277 Times in 5,305 Posts
Default Re: Sikhs wearing head dressing in Uniforms

Why are concessions always termed "appeasement"?
__________________

DISCLAIMER: Extreme amounts of sarcasm can possibly result in inflammatory situations. Not responsible for keyboard violence, spittle on the monitor, irrational responses mistaken for momentary brilliance, one-sided rages against hypocrisy or individual members or unintended consequences such as poor personal hygiene and bad spelling. Please fasten your seatbelts and put your trays in an upright position.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dressing, head, sikhs, uniforms, wearing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0