Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > Opinions & Editorials
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Opinions & Editorials Discuss Why was Donald Trump elected in 2016? at the General Forum; Originally Posted by saltwn Ha I wasn't angry in any sense of the word when I wrote that. If you ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 12-27-2021, 11:15 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,738
Thanks: 15,519
Thanked 5,446 Times in 3,490 Posts
Default Re: Why was Donald Trump elected in 2016?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
Ha I wasn't angry in any sense of the word when I wrote that.
If you say so...
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got it…"—George Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2021, 11:14 AM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,434
Thanks: 9,940
Thanked 8,610 Times in 5,693 Posts
Default Re: Why was Donald Trump elected in 2016?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
The GOP saw Hillary as the presumptive front runner back before Barak Obama even declared his candidacy, so they were already concentrating a pretty good trash and burn campaign against her, so much so, that Obama escaped a lot of that which one would have assumed would plague his campaign-"Is America ready for a Black POTUS?"- as most of it was concentrated on "Are we ready for a woman POTUS?" Practically the only one doing any damage to Obama was Trump with the Kenya bullowney.
Inevitably, the GOP knew she would run at some point, so they doubled down with hearings and articles etcetera. When Trump decided to run he picked a good time and the right party. First he knocked down all the competition in the primary with lies, innuendos and name calling. It was very close and when Roger Stone tipped Assange to release a bunch more emails, even though they were benign, it was enough to just push people to stay home because they were sick of Hillary, which was the whole point and Trump won the election. It never mattered that he used a private phone and his employee daughter emailed all personal and government business on her own server. Whatever else he did he got away with because he followed Roy Cohen's old game plan of shock and never admit or apologize.
So you are accusing Trump of running a dirty campaign, after knowing about the lies and fake dossier drummed up by the Clinton campaign in order to bring down the full weight of the federal government on a private citizen running for office. No dirty schemes there, right?
__________________
Political Correctness, is Fascism masquerading as manners - George Carlin.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dog Man For This Useful Post:
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2021, 11:19 AM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,434
Thanks: 9,940
Thanked 8,610 Times in 5,693 Posts
Default Re: Why was Donald Trump elected in 2016?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_Slothrop View Post
Hillary wasn’t well liked, but most Americans wanted her to be president if the alternative was Trump. It’s just anecdotal evidence (like your example), but I know a lot of people who voted third party or stayed home because they disliked Hillary, but only did so because they figured that she had the election wrapped up and their votes didn’t matter. Most rational adults were aghast at the idea of Trump winning, They didn’t think voters could possibly be dumb enough to elect him.
And THAT is your opinion. And a feeble one at that.
__________________
Political Correctness, is Fascism masquerading as manners - George Carlin.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2021, 12:06 PM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 57,093
Thanks: 2,427
Thanked 39,004 Times in 21,749 Posts
Default Re: Why was Donald Trump elected in 2016?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_Slothrop View Post
Hillary wasn’t well liked, but most Americans wanted her to be president if the alternative was Trump. It’s just anecdotal evidence (like your example), but I know a lot of people who voted third party or stayed home because they disliked Hillary, but only did so because they figured that she had the election wrapped up and their votes didn’t matter. Most rational adults were aghast at the idea of Trump winning, They didn’t think voters could possibly be dumb enough to elect him.
When Republicans lose an election, they lose an election...

When Democrats lose an election, they didn't REALLY lose...There were variables and deceit and extenuating circumstances and a multitude of other factors...

__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cnredd For This Useful Post:
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2021, 12:19 PM
Constant_Slothrop's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3,518
Thanks: 12
Thanked 560 Times in 503 Posts
Default Re: Why was Donald Trump elected in 2016?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
When Republicans lose an election, they lose an election...

When Democrats lose an election, they didn't REALLY lose...There were variables and deceit and extenuating circumstances and a multitude of other factors...

Considering that the leader of the Republican PArty still refuses to acknowledge that he lost last year’s election, this is genuinely hilarious.

And I never said that trump didn’t win in 2016. He did, because the Democrats and their voters took him and his supporters too lightly. We wrongly assumed that the country wasn’t going to do the unthinkable and elect a totally unqualified clown as president.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2021, 12:42 PM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,434
Thanks: 9,940
Thanked 8,610 Times in 5,693 Posts
Default Re: Why was Donald Trump elected in 2016?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_Slothrop View Post
Considering that the leader of the Republican PArty still refuses to acknowledge that he lost last year’s election, this is genuinely hilarious.

And I never said that trump didn’t win in 2016. He did, because the Democrats and their voters took him and his supporters too lightly. We wrongly assumed that the country wasn’t going to do the unthinkable and elect a totally unqualified clown as president.
Bolded is the exact thing Redd was saying, you said it was hilarious, but you proved him right.

Now THAT is hilarious.
__________________
Political Correctness, is Fascism masquerading as manners - George Carlin.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2021, 01:01 PM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 57,093
Thanks: 2,427
Thanked 39,004 Times in 21,749 Posts
Default Re: Why was Donald Trump elected in 2016?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Man View Post
Bolded is the exact thing Redd was saying, you said it was hilarious, but you proved him right.

Now THAT is hilarious.
I was thinking the same thing...

I wrote that Dems always complain there were extenuating circumstances when they lose an election, and he responds with, "Hey! That Dem lost because there were extenuating circumstances!!!!"...
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cnredd For This Useful Post:
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2021, 01:43 PM
Constant_Slothrop's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3,518
Thanks: 12
Thanked 560 Times in 503 Posts
Default Re: Why was Donald Trump elected in 2016?

It’s not “extenuating circumstances.” Trump was the least popular person (since the advent of modern polling) ever elected president. Most Americans hate the guy. He won only because Democrats were complacent and overconfident.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2021, 01:51 PM
jamesrage's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: A place where common sense still exist.
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,557
Thanks: 2,449
Thanked 2,620 Times in 1,540 Posts
Default Re: Why was Donald Trump elected in 2016?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
Tucker Carlson, in his 2018 book, Ship of Fools, makes the following observation:

"Were [Donald Trump's] voters endorsing Trump as a man [in 2016]? His personal decency? His command of policy? His hairstyle? Did millions of Americans see his Access Hollywood tape and think, 'Finally, a candidate who speaks for me'? Probably not. ...

"Trump's election wasn't about Trump. It was a throbbing middle finger in the face of America's ruling class. It was a gesture of contempt, a howl of rage, the end result of decades of selfish and unwise decisions made by selfish and unwise leaders. Happy countries don't elect Donald Trump president. Desperate ones do."

I wouldn't say it was middle finger to the ruling class, especially when Trump is part of that ruling class and made numerous donations to the ruling class, especially to the Clintons and was friends with the Clintons. I would say that voters saw Clinton as a bigger piece of shit than Trump. This was a woman who on tape laughed while talking about defending a rapist(almost sounds like the plot to the movie The Devil's Advocate) and lied her ass off about using her personal email on a unsecured server for classified information.
__________________
"There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag… We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language… and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”—Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2021, 02:02 PM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 57,093
Thanks: 2,427
Thanked 39,004 Times in 21,749 Posts
Default Re: Why was Donald Trump elected in 2016?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_Slothrop View Post
It’s not “extenuating circumstances.” Trump was the least popular person (since the advent of modern polling) ever elected president. Most Americans hate the guy. He won only because Democrats were complacent and overconfident.
Before Trump, wasn't there another presidential candidate who won with the least popularity at the time?...

And before THAT guy who became president, wasn't there another presidential candidate won with the least popularity at the time?...

And before THAT guy who became president, wasn't there another presidential candidate won with the least popularity at the time?...

In other words, this little nugget means squat...Only Lefties would say, "One candidate was at 47%, and that's all good, but that OTHER candidate was at 45%, so he can go f*ck himself!"...

By the way...Biden's approval rating is now even lower than when Trump was inaugurated, so if you think Trump didn't deserve to president because of popularity then, then you should equally believe Biden shouldn't be president this very minute..
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cnredd For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
2016, donald, elected, trump, was, why

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0