Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > Opinions & Editorials
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Opinions & Editorials Discuss Why are prices going up so fast? at the General Forum; Originally Posted by saltwn it does not good to complain. there's zero competition in a lot of America. Unless you ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2021, 05:42 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,884
Thanks: 13,194
Thanked 9,638 Times in 5,482 Posts
Default Re: Why are prices going up so fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
it does not good to complain. there's zero competition in a lot of America.
Unless you want tasteless tomatoes or wanna wade through nasty WMart shoppers But even their prices are set across the board. If you have a lot of competition in your area, you're lucky, but it's more than likely just key items.
So if I shop at a WalMart (which happens to be the only grocery store still in my area), I am nasty? Don't look know but your ignorant bias is showing.

But I am glad to see that you feel that competition is the best remedy for price and quality issues. Too bad you don't recognize that when government intrudes into that space (i.e. healthcare), competition goes out of the window.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2021, 12:58 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 88,192
Thanks: 57,099
Thanked 26,866 Times in 19,315 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Why are prices going up so fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
So if I shop at a WalMart (which happens to be the only grocery store still in my area), I am nasty? Don't look know but your ignorant bias is showing.

But I am glad to see that you feel that competition is the best remedy for price and quality issues. Too bad you don't recognize that when government intrudes into that space (i.e. healthcare), competition goes out of the window.
Yes take the nasty comment to heart if you resemble it.
In this case government should "intrude" to enforce monopoly laws. If they're still on the books. And if not, put some back on those books. With teeth in the bill behind those books.
__________________
On a more positive note, people still can't order dialysis w/o a referral.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2021, 01:00 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,839
Thanks: 15,694
Thanked 5,516 Times in 3,524 Posts
Default Re: Why are prices going up so fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
Again, I think your argument is misplaced. Merchants operate on thin margins, and the contractor cannot absorb the double cost of a 2 x 4. So to survive, that cost must be passed on.
You may be misreading my argument.

What you say is certainly correct.

But my point is this: Even when wholesale prices are eventually reduced, retail prices still do not come down.
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got it…"—George Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2021, 01:02 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 88,192
Thanks: 57,099
Thanked 26,866 Times in 19,315 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Why are prices going up so fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
Directly yes. I am referring to the fact that corporations don't really pay taxes, the collect them for the government. The ultra rich don't pay income taxes because they structure their wealth to were they don't have an income to tax. That's why Warren Buffett can claim that his secretary pays a higher percentage of her wage in tax than he does.

My point is that ultimately, taxes are paid by the consumer and the largest consumer class in this country is the middle class. We may not directly pay the tax, but ultimately it comes out of our pockets.
bold= truth
The largest companies pay no taxes.
__________________
On a more positive note, people still can't order dialysis w/o a referral.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saltwn For This Useful Post:
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2021, 01:30 PM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,644
Thanks: 10,339
Thanked 8,780 Times in 5,793 Posts
Default Re: Why are prices going up so fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
here's an article may
https://www.khou.com/article/news/lo...9-55697515d631
and here's one from july

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/225492...-used-cars-gas

Prices have been going up on most consumer goods for a long time
.
funny, in general, they never seem to come down though.

Yes they have gone up, but nothing like we have been seeing now.

Inflation is being SUPERCHARGED.
__________________
Political Correctness, is Fascism masquerading as manners - George Carlin.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dog Man For This Useful Post:
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2021, 02:27 PM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,884
Thanks: 13,194
Thanked 9,638 Times in 5,482 Posts
Default Re: Why are prices going up so fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
Yes take the nasty comment to heart if you resemble it.
I didn't take it that way as you have never met me and know nothing about me. However, it does reveal quite a bit about you. And let's just say that what it reveals is not flattering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
In this case government should "intrude" to enforce monopoly laws. If they're still on the books. And if not, put some back on those books. With teeth in the bill behind those books.
In which case are you referring, the Healthcare aspect that I brought up or some other boogie man hiding behind a door that you feel is causing prices in general to rise.

Hint: That boogie man you are fearing is the government sticking it's nose into the economy by printing money and driving inflation through the roof.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2021, 07:14 PM
Dave1's Avatar
...Fair and Balanced...
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston, Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,805
Thanks: 4,572
Thanked 5,754 Times in 3,381 Posts
Default Re: Why are prices going up so fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Man View Post
Things are getting crazy expensive. We buy construction materials from manufacturers all over the country, and within the last 2 months they have raised prices AGAIN!. 15-25% across the board.
Why you ask.....?

Everything starts with co-vid....

Especially construction material prices going crazy....
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2021, 07:15 PM
Dave1's Avatar
...Fair and Balanced...
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston, Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,805
Thanks: 4,572
Thanked 5,754 Times in 3,381 Posts
Default Re: Why are prices going up so fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
bold= truth
The largest companies pay no taxes.
Some former presidents even brag about it.....
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave1 For This Useful Post:
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2021, 08:04 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,866
Thanks: 10,814
Thanked 8,720 Times in 5,161 Posts
Default Re: Why are prices going up so fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
You may be misreading my argument.

What you say is certainly correct.

But my point is this: Even when wholesale prices are eventually reduced, retail prices still do not come down.
I question whether that's true. I can think of numerous items on which prices have fallen.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimbo For This Useful Post:
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2021, 10:57 PM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,980
Thanks: 11,228
Thanked 15,530 Times in 8,345 Posts
Default Re: Why are prices going up so fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
it does not good to complain. there's zero competition in a lot of America.
Unless you want tasteless tomatoes or wanna wade through nasty WMart shoppers But even their prices are set across the board. If you have a lot of competition in your area, you're lucky, but it's more than likely just key items.
I don't know what part of America you are in, but I am in the marketplace everyday. As a buyer and as a seller. Competition is fierce. AS IT SHOULD BE.

You are talking retail only. Everything is more expensive from the source to the shelf. Not because of lack of competition or because of lack of inventory. The shortages are in transportation and asset management because the value of the dollar is dropping before goods can be delivered. Example,,,, I bought a building five months ago. Plenty of lumber available but the manufacturer cannot meet the original contract price until the cost of lumber declines.

The effect of this cascades thru the process of turning raw materials into salable goods long before retailers get the products delivered.

I'm lucky as I had my film supplier buy 12,000 lbs of film last year, at $1.85 a lb. I use it for one customer. Today it would cost almost twice that. And I pay twice for material I need for other customers. Not because of a shortage but because the dollar exchange with the nation where the film is produced has doubled.

My American competition, if they didn't buy right last year, is now at a disadvantage on that one product. But we compete fiercely for other product contracts. All at higher prices. However, countries where the currency is solid, kick my @ss.

That's competition/capitalism suffering the misfortunes of bad government. Not from monopolies.

The only monopoly negatively effecting our economy is the heavy hand of our overblown and reckless government.

To put it bluntly, I cannot buy right with a dollar that has gone wrong.
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE

Last edited by FrancSevin; 08-06-2021 at 11:03 PM..
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
are, fast, going, prices, why

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0