Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > Opinions & Editorials
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Opinions & Editorials Discuss I didnít think Iíd ever leave the CIA. But because of Trump, I quit. at the General Forum; I didnít think Iíd ever leave the CIA. But because of Trump, I quit. February 20, 2017 By Edward Price: ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2017, 08:43 AM
Senior's Avatar
Political Independent 👌
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,227
Thanks: 500
Thanked 729 Times in 492 Posts
Default I didnít think Iíd ever leave the CIA. But because of Trump, I quit.

I didnít think Iíd ever leave the CIA. But because of Trump, I quit.

Quote:
February 20, 2017
By Edward Price: Edward Price worked at the CIA from 2006 until this month, most recently as the spokesman for the National Security Council.

Nearly 15 years ago, I informed my skeptical father that I was pursuing a job with the Central Intelligence Agency. Among his many concerns was that others would never believe I had resigned from the agency when I sought my next job. ďOnce CIA, always CIA,Ē he said. But that didnít give me pause. This wouldnít be just my first real job, I thought then; it would be my career. That changed when I formally resigned last week. Despite working proudly for Republican and Democratic presidents, I reluctantly concluded that I cannot in good faith serve this administration as an intelligence professional. This was not a decision I made lightly. I sought out the CIA as a college student, convinced that it was the ideal place to serve my country and put an otherwise abstract international-relations degree to use. I wasnít disappointed.

The CIA taught me new skills and exposed me to new cultures and countries. More important, it instilled in me a sense of mission and purpose. As an analyst, I became an expert in terrorist groups and traveled the world to help deter and disrupt attacks. The administrations of George W. Bush and Barack Obama took the CIAís input seriously. There was no greater reward than having my analysis presented to the president and seeing it shape events. Intelligence informing policy ó this is how the system is supposed to work. I saw that up close for the past three years at the White House, where I worked on loan from the CIA until last month.

As a candidate, Donald Trumpís rhetoric suggested that he intended to take a different approach. I watched in disbelief when, during the third presidential debate, Trump casually cast doubt on the high-confidence conclusion of our 17 intelligence agencies, released that month, that Russia was behind the hacking and release of election-related emails. On the campaign trail and even as president-elect, Trump routinely referred to the flawed 2002 assessment of Iraqís weapons programs as proof that the CIA couldnít be trusted ó even though the intelligence community had long ago held itself to account for those mistakes and Trump himself supported the invasion of Iraq.

Trumpís actions in office have been even more disturbing. His visit to CIA headquarters on his first full day in office, an overture designed to repair relations, was undone by his ego and bluster. Standing in front of a memorial to the CIAís fallen officers, he seemed to be addressing the cameras and reporters in the room, rather than the agency personnel in front of them, bragging about his inauguration crowd the previous day. Whether delusional or deceitful, these were not the remarks many of my former colleagues and I wanted to hear from our new commander in chief. I couldnít help but reflect on the stark contrast between the bombast of the new president and the quiet dedication of a mentor ó a courageous, dedicated professional ó who is memorialized on that wall. I know others at CIA felt similarly.

The final straw came late last month, when the White House issued a directive reorganizing the National Security Council, on whose staff I served from 2014 until earlier this year. Missing from the NSCís principals committee were the CIA director and the director of national intelligence. Added to the roster: the presidentís chief strategist, Stephen K. Bannon, who cut his teeth as a media champion of white nationalism. The public outcry led the administration to reverse course and name the CIA director an NSC principal, but the White Houseís inclination was clear. It has little need for intelligence professionals who, in speaking truth to power, might challenge the so-called ďAmerica FirstĒ orthodoxy that sees Russia as an ally and Australia as a punching bag. Thatís why the presidentís trusted White House advisers, not career professionals, reportedly have final say over what intelligence reaches his desk.

To be clear, my decision had nothing to do with politics, and I would have been proud to again work under a Republican administration open to intelligence analysis. I served with conviction under President George W. Bush, some of whose policies I also found troubling, and I took part in programs that the Obama administration criticized and ended. As intelligence professionals, weíre taught to tune out politics. The river separating CIA headquarters in Langley, Va., from Washington might as well be a political moat. But this administration has flipped that dynamic on its head: The politicians are the ones tuning out the intelligence professionals.

The CIA will continue to serve important functions ó including undertaking covert action and sharing information with close allies and partners around the globe. If this administration is serious about building trust with the intelligence community, however, it will require more than rallies at CIA headquarters or press statements. What intelligence professionals want most is to know that the fruits of their labor ó sometimes at the risk of life or limb ó are accorded due deference in the policy making process. Until that happens, President Trump and his team are doing another disservice to these dedicated men and women and the nation they proudly, if quietly, serve.
The last straw for me in regard to Trump, was the public Trump attacks/ridicule directed at the US intelligence community concerning their findings regarding Russian meddling in the US election. As with all information, whatever is not to Trumps liking is attacked by the Trump White House and labeled as lies and fake news. What they insist you believe -- 'alternative truth' -- is then shouted from their lecterns and Twitter accounts. It's embarrassing and painful to witness an American president stooping to this bottom-feeder level.
__________________
*
Semper Gumby / USMC - Always Be Flexible
*
When the ramp drops, the bullshıt stops
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Senior For This Useful Post:
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2017, 08:48 AM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,762
Thanks: 5,313
Thanked 7,472 Times in 4,399 Posts
Default Re: I didnít think Iíd ever leave the CIA. But because of Trump, I quit.

Trump did threaten to drain the swamp. That his presence has a few snakes getting out early on their own is not really that troubling.
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.

PROUDLY DEPLORABLE
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2017, 08:52 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,295
Thanks: 6,386
Thanked 5,036 Times in 3,118 Posts
Default Re: I didnít think Iíd ever leave the CIA. But because of Trump, I quit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior View Post
I didnít think Iíd ever leave the CIA. But because of Trump, I quit.


The last straw for me in regard to Trump, was the public Trump attacks/ridicule directed at the US intelligence community concerning their findings regarding Russian meddling in the US election. As with all information, whatever is not to Trumps liking is attacked by the Trump White House and labeled as lies and fake news. What they insist you believe -- 'alternative truth' -- is then shouted from their lecterns and Twitter accounts. It's embarrassing and painful to witness an American president stooping to this bottom-feeder level.
Just making a guess. I'd say the last straw for you was when it became apparent that Trump was going to be President Trump. Same with this whiner.

I'm sure that this morning someone went to work, opened the doors at the CIA, and life went on. Probably without one of the leakers that seem to exist as holdovers from the previous administration.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2017, 09:11 AM
Dave1's Avatar
...Fair and Balanced...
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston, Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,345
Thanks: 3,565
Thanked 4,605 Times in 2,716 Posts
Default Re: I didnít think Iíd ever leave the CIA. But because of Trump, I quit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
Trump did threaten to drain the swamp. That his presence has a few snakes getting out early on their own is not really that troubling.
Trump didn't drain anything.....

He doubled down and bought the swamp adding larger alligators.....
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave1 For This Useful Post:
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2017, 09:12 AM
Dave1's Avatar
...Fair and Balanced...
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston, Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,345
Thanks: 3,565
Thanked 4,605 Times in 2,716 Posts
Default Re: I didnít think Iíd ever leave the CIA. But because of Trump, I quit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
Just making a guess. I'd say the last straw for you was when it became apparent that Trump was going to be President Trump. Same with this whiner.
Kind of a pathetic look the other way reply......




Typical stuff from Donald voters these days.....
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave1 For This Useful Post:
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2017, 09:19 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,295
Thanks: 6,386
Thanked 5,036 Times in 3,118 Posts
Default Re: I didnít think Iíd ever leave the CIA. But because of Trump, I quit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1 View Post
Kind of a pathetic look the other way reply......

Typical stuff from Donald voters these days.....
If by looking the other way you mean upward and forward rather than backward and downward, you would be correct.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbo For This Useful Post:
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2017, 09:38 AM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,762
Thanks: 5,313
Thanked 7,472 Times in 4,399 Posts
Default Re: I didnít think Iíd ever leave the CIA. But because of Trump, I quit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1 View Post
Trump didn't drain anything.....

He doubled down and bought the swamp adding larger alligators.....
You cite no examples. That's just your point?

The OP states that virtually no one leaves the CIA. There is a reason virtually no one leaves. There is no room in the CIA for quitters.

But he is. I say good riddance.
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.

PROUDLY DEPLORABLE
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2017, 09:41 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,295
Thanks: 6,386
Thanked 5,036 Times in 3,118 Posts
Default Re: I didnít think Iíd ever leave the CIA. But because of Trump, I quit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1 View Post
Trump didn't drain anything.....

He doubled down and bought the swamp adding larger alligators.....
I like big alligators. They tend to consume easy prey.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbo For This Useful Post:
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2017, 01:16 PM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 14,018
Thanks: 6,717
Thanked 7,580 Times in 4,789 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: I didnít think Iíd ever leave the CIA. But because of Trump, I quit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1 View Post
Kind of a pathetic look the other way reply......




Typical stuff from Donald voters these days.....
Gee, a CIA bureaucrat that objects to the President questioning the partisan games played by Obama's intelligence agencies. Add to that how common it is for at least a few people to leave any organization when leadership changes.

Allegations of the Russian government hackers attacking the pitiful Democrat cyber security successfully is accepted as an article of faith, but the case is built on shaky evidence and supposition at best. CrowdStrike is a top flight cyber security consulting company. APT 28 and 29 are blamed for the hacking.

Quote:
Next, consider the fact that CrowdStrike describes APT 28 and 29 like this:

Their tradecraft is superb, operational security second to none and the extensive usage of ďliving-off-the-landĒ techniques enables them to easily bypass many security solutions they encounter. In particular, we identified advanced methods consistent with nation-state level capabilities including deliberate targeting and ďaccess managementĒ tradecraft ó both groups were constantly going back into the environment to change out their implants, modify persistent methods, move to new Command & Control channels and perform other tasks to try to stay ahead of being detected.

Compare that description to CrowdStrikeís claim it was able to finger APT 28 and 29, described above as digital spies par excellence, because they were so incredibly sloppy. Would a group whose ďtradecraft is superbĒ with ďoperational security second to noneĒ really leave behind the name of a Soviet spy chief imprinted on a document it sent to American journalists? Would these groups really be dumb enough to leave cyrillic comments on these documents? Would these groups that ďconstantly [go] back into the environment to change out their implants, modify persistent methods, move to new Command & Control channelsĒ get caught because they precisely didnít make sure not to use IP addresses theyíd been associated before? Itís very hard to buy the argument that the Democrats were hacked by one of the most sophisticated, diabolical foreign intelligence services in history, and that we know this because they screwed up over and over again.
So, the same group is incredibly sophisticated yet really sloppy covering their tracks. But that's what passes for definitive proof.

The article details more holes in the definitive proof the Russians did it but it is unlikely never Trumpers will bother to read it.

https://theintercept.com/2016/12/14/...ts-not-enough/
__________________
Susan Rice misled about Benghazi, Obama promoted her to national security advisor. Flynn misled about his phone calls to the Russian ambassador, Trump fired him as national security advisor. Obama rewarded spreading misleading information, Trump punishes those doing it.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZRWinger For This Useful Post:
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2017, 06:58 PM
RedState's Avatar
#RESIST
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,615
Thanks: 834
Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,029 Posts
Default Re: I didnít think Iíd ever leave the CIA. But because of Trump, I quit.

Quote:
His visit to CIA headquarters on his first full day in office, an overture designed to repair relations, was undone by his ego and bluster. Standing in front of a memorial to the CIAís fallen officers, he seemed to be addressing the cameras and reporters in the room, rather than the agency personnel in front of them, bragging about his inauguration crowd the previous day. Whether delusional or deceitful, these were not the remarks many of my former colleagues and I wanted to hear from our new commander in chief. I couldnít help but reflect on the stark contrast between the bombast of the new president and the quiet dedication of a mentor ó a courageous, dedicated professional ó who is memorialized on that wall. I know others at CIA felt similarly.

That was a very measured tone from someone quitting a lifetime job; I imagine a large many of his cohorts are still angry by that show of unimaginably self centered inexcusable blather from President Butthole, barely one day after his inauguration.

People seem to think that progressives are just "anti republican."

This article speaks to the truth behind the real feelings. It isn't about the politics, its about a dangerous and egotistical man who on the surface claims to have the country's best interests at heart, but whose actions at every turn show that to be false... and whose every action for his entire life have been to serve his own self interests at the expense of the people who trusted him.
__________________
ďThe main problem in any democracy is that crowd-pleasers are generally brainless swine
who can go out on a stage & whup their supporters into an orgiastic frenzyó
then go back to the office & sell every one of the poor bastards down the tube for a nickel apiece.Ē


-HST
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedState For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
because, but, cia, didnít, ever, iíd, leave, quit, the, think, trump

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0