Political Wrinkles

Political Wrinkles (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/)
-   Opinions & Editorials (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/opinions-editorials/)
-   -   Lech Walesa on Ronald Reagan (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/opinions-editorials/38942-lech-walesa-ronald-reagan.html)

pjohns 06-08-2014 07:36 PM

Lech Walesa on Ronald Reagan
 
Here is a bit of what Lech Walesa said about Ronald Reagan, 10 years after the latter's passing:

Quote:

When talking about Ronald Reagan, I have to be personal. We in Poland took him so personally. Why? Because we owe him our liberty. This can't be said often enough by people who lived under oppression for half a century, until communism fell in 1989.

Poles fought for their freedom for so many years that they hold in special esteem those who backed them in their struggle. Support was the test of friendship. President Reagan was such a friend. His policy of aiding democratic movements in Central and Eastern Europe in the dark days of the Cold War meant a lot to us. We knew he believed in a few simple principles such as human rights, democracy and civil society. He was someone who was convinced that the citizen is not for the state, but vice-versa, and that freedom is an innate right.

I often wondered why Ronald Reagan did this, taking the risks he did, in supporting us at Solidarity, as well as dissident movements in other countries behind the Iron Curtain, while pushing a defense buildup that pushed the Soviet economy over the brink. Let's remember that it was a time of recession in the U.S. and a time when the American public was more interested in their own domestic affairs. It took a leader with a vision to convince them that there are greater things worth fighting for. Did he seek any profit in such a policy? Though our freedom movements were in line with the foreign policy of the United States, I doubt it.

I distinguish between two kinds of politicians. There are those who view politics as a tactical game, a game in which they do not reveal any individuality, in which they lose their own face. There are, however, leaders for whom politics is a means of defending and furthering values. For them, it is a moral pursuit. They do so because the values they cherish are endangered. They're convinced that there are values worth living for, and even values worth dying for. Otherwise they would consider their life and work pointless. Only such politicians are great politicians and Ronald Reagan was one of them. ...

But the poster [of Gary Cooper in "High Noon"] had the opposite [of the intended] impact: Cowboys in Western clothes had become a powerful symbol for Poles. Cowboys fight for justice, fight against evil, and fight for freedom, both physical and spiritual. Solidarity trounced the Communists in that [1989] election, paving the way for a democratic government in Poland. It is always so touching when people bring this poster up to me to autograph it. They have cherished it for so many years and it has become the emblem of the battle that we all fought together.
Here is the link to the entire article: The Wall Street Journal Online - Featured Article

Mikeyy 06-08-2014 09:13 PM

Re: Lech Walesa on Ronald Reagan
 
Oh. I thought you had pics. :D

MRAPP 06-09-2014 11:16 AM

Re: Lech Walesa on Ronald Reagan
 
Quote:

I distinguish between two kinds of politicians. There are those who view politics as a tactical game, a game in which they do not reveal any individuality, in which they lose their own face. There are, however, leaders for whom politics is a means of defending and furthering values. For them, it is a moral pursuit. They do so because the values they cherish are endangered. They're convinced that there are values worth living for, and even values worth dying for. Otherwise they would consider their life and work pointless. Only such politicians are great politicians and Ronald Reagan was one of them. ...
Something to keep in mind when discussing the virtues of our contemporary politicians.

FrancSevin 06-09-2014 01:47 PM

Re: Lech Walesa on Ronald Reagan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeyy (Post 667008)
Oh. I thought you had pics. :D

It would take more than pictures for some to understand the legacy of Ronald Reagan.

But Lech Walensa said it extremely well.:thumbsup

Mikeyy 06-09-2014 06:38 PM

Re: Lech Walesa on Ronald Reagan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrancSevin (Post 667318)
It would take more than pictures for some to understand the legacy of Ronald Reagan.

But Lech Walensa said it extremely well.:thumbsup

I have learned long ago not to argue with the faithful about their religion. Carry on!:thumbsup

Harvey 06-09-2014 08:47 PM

Re: Lech Walesa on Ronald Reagan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeyy (Post 667397)
I have learned long ago not to argue with the faithful about their religion. Carry on!:thumbsup

So tell us, Mikeyy, how will History write the legacy of your president and messiah, Barack Hussein Obama? Will it begin with the lies? ... or with the failed policies? How will it gauge his promises to fundamentally transform America?


Now, back to Lech Walesa.

Mikeyy 06-09-2014 09:54 PM

Re: Lech Walesa on Ronald Reagan
 
What exactly do you bring to the forum?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvey (Post 667437)
So tell us, Mikeyy, how will History write the legacy of your president and messiah, Barack Hussein Obama? Will it begin with the lies? ... or with the failed policies? How will it gauge his promises to fundamentally transform America?


Now, back to Lech Walesa.


Lollie 06-09-2014 10:54 PM

Re: Lech Walesa on Ronald Reagan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeyy (Post 667444)
What exactly do you bring to the forum?

Aside from questions like that, look at the thanks posted for pjohns for this thread, then ask yourself something.
Look around real hard.

Mikeyy 06-09-2014 11:13 PM

Re: Lech Walesa on Ronald Reagan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lollie (Post 667464)
Aside from questions like that, look at the thanks posted for pjohns for this thread, then ask yourself something.
Look around real hard.

Hell, That ain't hard. If you notice he is thanked generally by the right. They thank you if you say bad Obama.

Lollie 06-09-2014 11:18 PM

Re: Lech Walesa on Ronald Reagan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeyy (Post 667468)
Hell, That ain't hard. If you notice he is thanked generally by the right. They thank you if you say bad Obama.

Bingo! I knew you'd say that.
By the way, how do you know who exactly is left/right/center/upside down or sitting on a fence?

You don't.
The only times posts get Thanks (mostly) for anything (bad) Obama is when it's the truth.
Perhaps you can't handle that?

Mikeyy 06-09-2014 11:20 PM

Re: Lech Walesa on Ronald Reagan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lollie (Post 667471)
Bingo! I knew you'd say that.
By the way, how do you know who exactly is left/right/center/upside down or sitting on a fence?

You don't.
The only times posts get Thanks (mostly) for anything (bad) Obama is when it's the truth.
Perhaps you can't handle that?

Seems like everyone has there own truth around here.

Lollie 06-09-2014 11:22 PM

Re: Lech Walesa on Ronald Reagan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyy (Post 667474)
seems like everyone has there own truth around here.

exactafckinglootly!

Dave1 06-10-2014 12:12 AM

Re: Lech Walesa on Ronald Reagan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeyy (Post 667474)
Seems like everyone has there own truth around here.

Eye of the beholder remains trump...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0