Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > Open Discussion
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Open Discussion Discuss Palin Ft Bragg Visit Opened To Media, With Restrictions at the General Forum; Originally Posted by Mikeyy That does not answer the question. By what authority do they stage this stuff. And who ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2009, 03:48 AM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 55,945
Thanks: 2,307
Thanked 36,693 Times in 20,839 Posts
Default Re: Palin Ft Bragg Visit Opened To Media, With Restrictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
That does not answer the question. By what authority do they stage this stuff. And who are they?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
What he said.
Far from it...

They shouldn't have anymore "authority" over this event than they use for a play, a concert, or any other event...

You either allow it or you don't...saying "I'll allow some aspects of it, but I'll remove constitutional rights on it." is completely unacceptable...
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2009, 04:03 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 83,620
Thanks: 56,102
Thanked 26,491 Times in 18,983 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Palin Ft Bragg Visit Opened To Media, With Restrictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
Far from it...

They shouldn't have anymore "authority" over this event than they use for a play, a concert, or any other event...

You either allow it or you don't...saying "I'll allow some aspects of it, but I'll remove constitutional rights on it." is completely unacceptable...
Here's your quote:

"Army officials at Fort Bragg have relented somewhat and now say a small "pool" of journalists will be allowed to cover Sarah Palin's book-tour visit to the base on Monday. However, the journalists won't be permitted to interview Palin or her supporters who attend her book signing. "

Sounds to me like they weren't that keen on having reporters in the first place, and want to keep it to a minimum for control.
Which in light of recent events, they have every right to do.
They have every right to do it anyway since they are the military.
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2009, 04:06 AM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 55,945
Thanks: 2,307
Thanked 36,693 Times in 20,839 Posts
Default Re: Palin Ft Bragg Visit Opened To Media, With Restrictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
Here's your quote:

"Army officials at Fort Bragg have relented somewhat and now say a small "pool" of journalists will be allowed to cover Sarah Palin's book-tour visit to the base on Monday. However, the journalists won't be permitted to interview Palin or her supporters who attend her book signing. "
And my original response still stands...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd
At first, they wanted to prohibit the 1st Amendament 100%, but now believe 50% is good enough...
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn
Sounds to me like they weren't that keen on having reporters in the first place, and want to keep it to a minimum for control.
Which in light of recent events, they have every right to do.
They have every right to do it anyway since they are the military.
There's a difference between "having a right" to do something and having that something being "the right thing to do"...
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2009, 04:08 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 83,620
Thanks: 56,102
Thanked 26,491 Times in 18,983 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Palin Ft Bragg Visit Opened To Media, With Restrictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
And my original response still stands...



There's a difference between "having a right" to do something and having that something being "the right thing to do"...
The Army is different in what it is allowed to control on its own base. If this was a civilian entity you might have a valid point.
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saltwn For This Useful Post:
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PNW
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,513
Thanks: 22,404
Thanked 18,921 Times in 13,936 Posts
Default Re: Palin Ft Bragg Visit Opened To Media, With Restrictions

Again, Why the special treatment for her? And by what authority?
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2009, 11:25 AM
MrLiberty's Avatar
professional curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,506
Thanks: 21,953
Thanked 18,612 Times in 11,938 Posts
Default Re: Palin Ft Bragg Visit Opened To Media, With Restrictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
Again, Why the special treatment for her? And by what authority?
A political candidate for the second highest office in the land is a good start. I would also surmise that someone invited her to sign her book on the base because she is a political figure. Of course I can understand why the lefties would want to keep her off base, they're afraid they'll see the troops stand and cheer her and that by god can't happen as long as the messiah is in office!
__________________
Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war.

Donald Trump
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrLiberty For This Useful Post:
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2009, 11:43 AM
off the porch's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Left of Center
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,728
Thanks: 6,821
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,768 Posts
Default Re: Palin Ft Bragg Visit Opened To Media, With Restrictions

I see cnredd's point. If this was Obama (before presidency) going there to sell his book and the media was limited by the military, the left would be raising the same question.

The difference is that if I posted the OP here from the left side regarding the scenario above, the right would question my patriotism...ask me why I hate my country...tell me that I should respect the military's decision because they are the ones out on the front lines putting everything on the line for us, the American people.
__________________
i know i can be colorful
i know i can be grey
i know this loser's living fortunate
cause i know you will love me either way



"Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace." ~Siddhartha Gautama (The Buddha)
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to off the porch For This Useful Post:
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PNW
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,513
Thanks: 22,404
Thanked 18,921 Times in 13,936 Posts
Default Re: Palin Ft Bragg Visit Opened To Media, With Restrictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLiberty View Post
A political candidate for the second highest office in the land is a good start. I would also surmise that someone invited her to sign her book on the base because she is a political figure. Of course I can understand why the lefties would want to keep her off base, they're afraid they'll see the troops stand and cheer her and that by god can't happen as long as the messiah is in office!
I don't like her using our military to bolster her career. That is true.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikeyy For This Useful Post:
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2009, 02:12 PM
mlurp's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Flatlands
Gender: Male
Posts: 37,487
Thanks: 19,199
Thanked 10,923 Times in 8,519 Posts
Default Re: Palin Ft Bragg Visit Opened To Media, With Restrictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytmouse57 View Post
It's not "coddling." It's this little thing called due process of law -- which is actually profoundly Amercian, and something our troops have fought and died for on more than one occassion. It's supposed to be difficult to prosecute somebody in this country. You know -- that whole burden of proof is on the state/prosecution thing. It protects us all.
It was/is easy to prosecute people in places like Nazi Germany and Red China. Would you rather live in a society like that?

He'll be put on trial. Given the overwhelming evidence, he'll found guilty and then executed.
That's hardly coddling.
Boy your swif in your justice... His lawyer has said he is mentally unfit.. So a nice stay in some mental hospital might be the result...

But that is another thread....... This is about that gal you liberals fear. Palin.
__________________


Improvise - Adapt - Over Come...
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2009, 04:47 PM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 55,945
Thanks: 2,307
Thanked 36,693 Times in 20,839 Posts
Default Re: Palin Ft Bragg Visit Opened To Media, With Restrictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the porch View Post
I see cnredd's point. If this was Obama (before presidency) going there to sell his book and the media was limited by the military, the left would be raising the same question.

The difference is that if I posted the OP here from the left side regarding the scenario above, the right would question my patriotism...ask me why I hate my country...tell me that I should respect the military's decision because they are the ones out on the front lines putting everything on the line for us, the American people.
Wow...Way to project your negative perceptions on the rest of us...

I would do no such thing, and I'd guess the vast majority here on the Right wouldn't either...
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bragg, media, opened, palin, restrictions, visit, with

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0