Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > Open Discussion
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Open Discussion Discuss mislabelled as conservative at the General Forum; Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway thanks. i didn't feel like retyping the whole thing; especially on my phone. however, my ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2021, 11:24 AM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,802
Thanks: 8,792
Thanked 8,023 Times in 5,343 Posts
Default Re: mislabelled as conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
thanks. i didn't feel like retyping the whole thing; especially on my phone.

however, my issue isn't about politicians who appeal to their party's base at election time. that's kind of expected. and to a certain degree i get that the left/media will label any politician to the right of mao as a far right wing conservative. but the trump label never made sense to me and even less sense is the labelling of certain celebrities/radio/podcast hosts like joe rogan and clay travis as conservative. i've listened to enough of these guys to know they are so far removed from conservatism that at first i thought it might have been a typo. especially in regard to clay travis. i've listened to his morning radio show a lot...it's a sports program with some pop culture thrown in. politics only as much as it crosses paths with pop culture or callers bring up.
but both rogan and travis have been pretty clear about their own political leanings and they are not conservative.
Clay Travis and Buck Sexton have a new morning radio show. Clay has been coming off pretty conservative to me. I have not listened to him before, so I'm not sure about his past.
__________________
“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”
- William F. Buckley
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2021, 04:30 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,381
Thanks: 14,899
Thanked 5,251 Times in 3,360 Posts
Default Re: mislabelled as conservative

It is certainly true that Donald Trump is more of a populist than a traditional conservative. (He does hold some conservative positions--and even nominated several conservatives to the federal courts, including the SCOTUS--but he is really not a true conservative.)

I would, however, use the title "conservative" to refer to Lindsey Graham. (I really prefer not to use a litmus test here.)

In the end, we should probably be careful not to confuse conservative with right-winger.
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got it…"—George Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2021, 04:30 PM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 19,737
Thanks: 13,308
Thanked 14,532 Times in 8,382 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: mislabelled as conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
My take is there are very few Conservatives remaining in this country. A smattering. The rest are on some band wagon built by an ad campaign or politicians like Joe Manchin beholden to big corporations.
Trump exposed many so-called Conservatives as go along get along Republican noisemakers talking tough but eager to roll over to Democrats so as to keep their comfy positions and be invited to all the right cocktail parties. Just yesterday former dean of Conservative Republicans George Will praised General Milley for his coup undermining President Trump in defiance of the Constitution. It's scarcely imaginable how he could have repudiated Conservative principles more thoroughly.
__________________
If Democrats were confident their nominee actually received more than 80 million votes they wouldn't have more troops occupying Washington, DC than Lincoln had defending the city during the Civil War. Not Joe Biden, Kim Jung Biden.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AZRWinger For This Useful Post:
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2021, 07:35 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,961
Thanks: 11,542
Thanked 8,446 Times in 4,805 Posts
Default Re: mislabelled as conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
It is certainly true that Donald Trump is more of a populist than a traditional conservative. (He does hold some conservative positions--and even nominated several conservatives to the federal courts, including the SCOTUS--but he is really not a true conservative.)

I would, however, use the title "conservative" to refer to Lindsey Graham. (I really prefer not to use a litmus test here.)

In the end, we should probably be careful not to confuse conservative with right-winger.
Sorry, but I disagree with you on that one. Lindsey Graham talks like a conservative, but votes with the majority. Some of his latest votes on the judicial committee to confirm some left wing judges, show this to be true. When asked about it, he stated that was how the Constitution is supposed to work.

https://thepalmierireport.com/lindse...udges-through/
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2021, 01:07 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,381
Thanks: 14,899
Thanked 5,251 Times in 3,360 Posts
Default Re: mislabelled as conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
Sorry, but I disagree with you on that one. Lindsey Graham talks like a conservative, but votes with the majority. Some of his latest votes on the judicial committee to confirm some left wing judges, show this to be true. When asked about it, he stated that was how the Constitution is supposed to work.

https://thepalmierireport.com/lindse...udges-through/
I very much respect you--and usually agree with you. But there is no doubt, in my mind, that Lindsay Graham is not a right-winger.

I do believe, however, that it is fair (and accurate) to classify him as a conservative. (I would characterize him as being center-right--as I am, also.)
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got it…"—George Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2021, 01:09 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,381
Thanks: 14,899
Thanked 5,251 Times in 3,360 Posts
Default Re: mislabelled as conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
Just yesterday former dean of Conservative Republicans George Will praised General Milley for his coup undermining President Trump in defiance of the Constitution.
Although I have not yet heard this, if it is true--and I certainly have no good reason to doubt you--I would say that George Will is very much misguided here.

He is one of my favorite conservatives; but this surely does nothing to enhance that standing with me.

(Note: George Will officially left the Republican Party when Donald Trump became its standard bearer. So Mr. Will may be classified as a conservative--but not one of the pro-Trump variety.)
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got it…"—George Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2021, 02:26 AM
Gordon Shumway's Avatar
generation x
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,181
Thanks: 2,316
Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,249 Posts
Default Re: mislabelled as conservative

joe rogan referencing his liberalness.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
conservative, mislabelled

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0