Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > Open Discussion
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Open Discussion Discuss Critical thinking at the General Forum; Originally Posted by Constant_Slothrop I just have to laugh that you think the problem is my ego, and not the ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 02-17-2021, 11:49 AM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,914
Thanks: 7,600
Thanked 7,244 Times in 4,884 Posts
Default Re: Critical thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_Slothrop View Post
I just have to laugh that you think the problem is my ego, and not the fact that you and others continue to defend a guy who spent two months lying about the election and provoking a violent mob to attack Congress and the Constitution.
I'm sorry, I thought he was tried and found innocent. Or does that mean he is guilty in your world?

Also, he didn't lie, numerous problems with the election are still being found.

But we know that the left does not care about any election fraud, as long as it helps their guy. Isn't that right?
__________________
"The freedom of speech is, in sum, our foremost protection against tyranny. Without it, a tyrant can work his will without any fear of his opponents uttering even one cross word."
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dog Man For This Useful Post:
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 02-17-2021, 11:58 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 13,403
Thanks: 11,719
Thanked 9,774 Times in 5,987 Posts
Default Re: Critical thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_Slothrop View Post
I just have to laugh that you think the problem is my ego, and not the fact that you and others continue to defend a guy who spent two months lying about the election and provoking a violent mob to attack Congress and the Constitution.
This, from someone who believes the Russians were involved in 2016, but there could be absolutely no problems, no issues whatsoever, with the 2020 election.

The naivety is charming.
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GottaGo For This Useful Post:
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 02-17-2021, 12:18 PM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,914
Thanks: 7,600
Thanked 7,244 Times in 4,884 Posts
Default Re: Critical thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
This, from someone who believes the Russians were involved in 2016, but there could be absolutely no problems, no issues whatsoever, with the 2020 election.

The naivety is charming.
Well GG, the charming little fella would be all over the election fraud that happened, if Trump had won.

January 6th would have looked like an average day, if Trump had won.

Democrat politicians would have had bull horns telling their peeps to burn
every capital in the nation. And the MSM would be condoning and perpetuating it.
__________________
"The freedom of speech is, in sum, our foremost protection against tyranny. Without it, a tyrant can work his will without any fear of his opponents uttering even one cross word."
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dog Man For This Useful Post:
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2021, 09:59 PM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,529
Thanks: 11,548
Thanked 7,726 Times in 5,108 Posts
Default Re: Critical thinking

FYI an Opinion piece from the the NY Times
Quote:
Opinion
Don’t Go Down the Rabbit Hole
Critical thinking, as we’re taught to do it, isn’t helping in the fight against misinformation.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/18/o...attention.html
....
“We’re taught that, in order to protect ourselves from bad information, we need to deeply engage with the stuff that washes up in front of us,” Mr. Caulfield told me recently. He suggested that the dominant mode of media literacy (if kids get taught any at all) is that “you’ll get imperfect information and then use reasoning to fix that somehow. But in reality, that strategy can completely backfire.”

In other words: Resist the lure of rabbit holes, in part, by reimagining media literacy for the internet hellscape we occupy...

...That natural human mind-set is a liability in an attention economy. It allows grifters, conspiracy theorists, trolls and savvy attention hijackers to take advantage of us and steal our focus. “Whenever you give your attention to a bad actor, you allow them to steal your attention from better treatments of an issue, and give them the opportunity to warp your perspective,” Mr. Caulfield wrote....

...In 2016, Mr. Caulfield met Mr. Wineburg, who suggested modeling the process after the way professional fact checkers assess information. Mr. Caulfield refined the practice into four simple principles:

1. Stop.

2. Investigate the source.

3. Find better coverage.

4. Trace claims, quotes and media to the original context.

Otherwise known as SIFT.

Mr. Caulfield walked me through the process using an Instagram post from Robert F. Kennedy Jr., a prominent anti-vaccine activist, falsely alleging a link between the human papillomavirus vaccine and cancer. “If this is not a claim where I have a depth of understanding, then I want to stop for a second and, before going further, just investigate the source,” Mr. Caulfield said. He copied Mr. Kennedy’s name in the Instagram post and popped it into Google. “Look how fast this is,” he told me as he counted the seconds out loud. In 15 seconds, he navigated to Wikipedia and scrolled through the introductory section of the page, highlighting with his cursor the last sentence, which reads that Mr. Kennedy is an anti-vaccine activist and a conspiracy theorist.

“Is Robert F. Kennedy Jr. the best, unbiased source on information about a vaccine? I’d argue no. And that’s good enough to know we should probably just move on,” he said....

...
He probed deeper into the method to find better coverage by copying the main claim in Mr. Kennedy’s post and pasting that into a Google search. The first two results came from Agence France-Presse’s fact-check website and the National Institutes of Health. His quick searches showed a pattern: Mr. Kennedy’s claims were outside the consensus — a sign they were motivated by something other than science....


Am I the only one that see's a problem with these assertions about the problem of "critical thinking" and this "new" method?
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr wonder For This Useful Post:
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2021, 01:54 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 84,690
Thanks: 56,323
Thanked 26,576 Times in 19,056 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Critical thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
FYI an Opinion piece from the the NY Times




Am I the only one that see's a problem with these assertions about the problem of "critical thinking" and this "new" method?
No, but you're one of the few and the proud.
__________________
Bernie will introduce an amendment tomorrow to up min wage over 5 years and tip minimum wage over 7.

Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2021, 08:40 AM
lurch907's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Alaska, the greatest place on earth.
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,971
Thanks: 1,063
Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,970 Posts
Default Re: Critical thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_Slothrop View Post
I just have to laugh that you think the problem is my ego, and not the fact that you and others continue to defend a guy who spent two months lying about the election and provoking a violent mob to attack Congress and the Constitution.
You say it isn't your ego and in the same sentence present two of your opinions as fact.
It's your ego.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lurch907 For This Useful Post:
  #47 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2021, 09:26 AM
Constant_Slothrop's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,300
Thanks: 7
Thanked 345 Times in 305 Posts
Default Re: Critical thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch907 View Post
You say it isn't your ego and in the same sentence present two of your opinions as fact.
It's your ego.
Trump spent two months lying about the election being stolen. That is factual not an opinion. He also provoked a mob of his supporters to attack Congress. Again, that's a fact. Facts that you choose to ignore because they conflict with your simple-minded world view are still facts, not opinion.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Constant_Slothrop For This Useful Post:
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2021, 09:51 AM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 19,045
Thanks: 12,547
Thanked 13,526 Times in 7,878 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: Critical thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
FYI an Opinion piece from the the NY Times




Am I the only one that see's a problem with these assertions about the problem of "critical thinking" and this "new" method?
I guess it's a generational thing but I remember a time when consensus was known as herd mentality but we didn't have the radical Leftist Wikipedia editors and hyperpartisan search engine programmers to spoon feed us their propaganda.

Of course you are discouraged from thinking for yourself if you did you'd soon See How It's Tainted (****) the tech plutocrats posing as the arbiters of truth.
__________________
If Democrats were confident their nominee actually received more than 80 million votes they wouldn't have more troops occupying Washington, DC than Lincoln had defending the city during the Civil War. Not Joe Biden, Kim Jung Biden.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZRWinger For This Useful Post:
  #49 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2021, 11:44 AM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,914
Thanks: 7,600
Thanked 7,244 Times in 4,884 Posts
Default Re: Critical thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
FYI an Opinion piece from the the NY Times




Am I the only one that see's a problem with these assertions about the problem of "critical thinking" and this "new" method?

The Kennedy one would be easy to check. But how were the Democrats suppose to check on stuff like the Russia Collusion Hoax?

They really didn't have a choice. The MSM posed it as fact, and ALL Democrats believed it.

When we told them in 2016 It was all based on the fictitious Steele report, there was nothing for them to see, except Fox news and Republicans saying it.

The MSM drummed up enough hate for Trump, that the left would not believe
ANYTHING that was not ANTI-Trump.
__________________
"The freedom of speech is, in sum, our foremost protection against tyranny. Without it, a tyrant can work his will without any fear of his opponents uttering even one cross word."
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dog Man For This Useful Post:
  #50 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2021, 12:46 PM
lurch907's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Alaska, the greatest place on earth.
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,971
Thanks: 1,063
Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,970 Posts
Default Re: Critical thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_Slothrop View Post
Trump spent two months lying about the election being stolen. That is factual not an opinion. He also provoked a mob of his supporters to attack Congress. Again, that's a fact. Facts that you choose to ignore because they conflict with your simple-minded world view are still facts, not opinion.
You can repeat them over and over to your ego's content, but they are still opinions (three of them in that post).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
critical, thinking

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0