Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > Open Discussion
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Open Discussion Discuss (Republicans try to bury the post office, but) Chris Wallace at the General Forum; BURIES Trump's Campaign Advisor That's the title of the video, however it gives a great clear explaination of what's been ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2020, 01:35 AM
saltwn's Avatar
1966 Atlantic hurricane
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 85,011
Thanks: 56,370
Thanked 26,595 Times in 19,073 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default (Republicans try to bury the post office, but) Chris Wallace

BURIES Trump's Campaign Advisor

That's the title of the video, however it gives a great clear explaination of what's been happening.


And as one who lives in a states with many little remote towns, I do not want to see privatization.
Would be a disaster.
__________________
Prince Phillip was one of the last of that greatest generation who kept the peace and built Western liberal freedom. ~Scott Morrison, PM Australia
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2020, 03:32 AM
jamesrage's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: A place where common sense still exist.
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,065
Thanks: 1,981
Thanked 2,109 Times in 1,268 Posts
Default Re: (Republicans try to bury the post office, but) Chris Wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
BURIES Trump's Campaign Advisor

That's the title of the video, however it gives a great clear explaination of what's been happening.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y7hnvL4Cso&t=308s


And as one who lives in a states with many little remote towns, I do not want to see privatization.
Would be a disaster.
Because of Covid-19, student loan refunds, tax refunds and stimulus payments everybody and their mom are ordering more things online. So how is it Fed-Ex, UPS and other similar companies are having so much extra business that they have to hire extra help, but the post office is still sucking?
__________________
"There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag… We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language… and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”—Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamesrage For This Useful Post:
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2020, 05:10 AM
saltwn's Avatar
1966 Atlantic hurricane
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 85,011
Thanks: 56,370
Thanked 26,595 Times in 19,073 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: (Republicans try to bury the post office, but) Chris Wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
Because of Covid-19, student loan refunds, tax refunds and stimulus payments everybody and their mom are ordering more things online. So how is it Fed-Ex, UPS and other similar companies are having so much extra business that they have to hire extra help, but the post office is still sucking?
watch the video before replying to an OP that is a video. ty
__________________
Prince Phillip was one of the last of that greatest generation who kept the peace and built Western liberal freedom. ~Scott Morrison, PM Australia
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2020, 08:47 AM
Lumara's Avatar
Belly Dance Queen
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Great Smoky Mountains
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,886
Thanks: 4,212
Thanked 3,564 Times in 1,741 Posts
Default Re: (Republicans try to bury the post office, but) Chris Wallace

I watched half of the video. I notice that the interviewer kept interrupting the person answering his questions when the answers weren't what he wanted to hear, typical of left-leaning "journalists."

The Post Office has had problems for years, long before Trump, and if it cannot keep up with the times, it needs to go an via amendment to the Constitution.
__________________
Quarantine restricts the sick. Tyranny restricts the healthy.

Just say no to the Covid vaccine!

Don't be a sheep. Take off the mask.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2020, 09:00 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,171
Thanks: 10,132
Thanked 7,447 Times in 4,255 Posts
Default Re: (Republicans try to bury the post office, but) Chris Wallace

While I don't usually find myself agreeing with Salty on many things nor do I enjoy defending government run entities, I will say that the US Postal Service does have a unique disadvantage in regards to their function. They are required to deliver mail on a daily basis, to every postal customer in the United States. FedEx, UPS nor any other carrier has this mandate. They rely on the Post Office to deliver to some of their more remote customers.

Now that being said, I believe that there needs to be a reform of the Postal requirements. If a person chooses to live in a remote area, only accessible by airplane or dog sled, they should pay a higher premium on postal rates. Nobody is forcing them to live where they do, it is matter of choice. And I am not referring to some remote Alaskan village where there are multiple residents. I referring to the guy that builds a cabin in the middle of nowhere but still expects his mail on a daily basis.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2020, 01:57 PM
saltwn's Avatar
1966 Atlantic hurricane
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 85,011
Thanks: 56,370
Thanked 26,595 Times in 19,073 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: (Republicans try to bury the post office, but) Chris Wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumara View Post
I watched half of the video. I notice that the interviewer kept interrupting the person answering his questions when the answers weren't what he wanted to hear, typical of left-leaning "journalists."

The Post Office has had problems for years, long before Trump, and if it cannot keep up with the times, it needs to go an via amendment to the Constitution.
they required zero public financing beyond what was made from stamps etc. till in mid 00's they were forced by republicans in congress to pre fund retirement for (a 75 year period) employees not born yet.
but trump admin has added to that now that he is scared mailed votes will defeat him. appointing a donor to head the po; denying ot to get packages out the door, shutting down sorting machines early, requiring letter carriers to leave mail behind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
While I don't usually find myself agreeing with Salty on many things nor do I enjoy defending government run entities, I will say that the US Postal Service does have a unique disadvantage in regards to their function. They are required to deliver mail on a daily basis, to every postal customer in the United States. FedEx, UPS nor any other carrier has this mandate. They rely on the Post Office to deliver to some of their more remote customers.

Now that being said, I believe that there needs to be a reform of the Postal requirements. If a person chooses to live in a remote area, only accessible by airplane or dog sled, they should pay a higher premium on postal rates. Nobody is forcing them to live where they do, it is matter of choice. And I am not referring to some remote Alaskan village where there are multiple residents. I referring to the guy that builds a cabin in the middle of nowhere but still expects his mail on a daily basis.
the po has done a better job than those private companies till these (see above) burdens have been placed on them and they STILL operate w/o tax payer funds.
if you are born in a remote town in Idaho you get mail. in fact the po was set to cut mail delivery using a small plane up the mountain from me. you could not get to the town in the winter on foot or car. people of the town complained to their representatives and the delivery did not stop. the price didn't go up. A private company has no such over site or compunction.
__________________
Prince Phillip was one of the last of that greatest generation who kept the peace and built Western liberal freedom. ~Scott Morrison, PM Australia
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2020, 06:53 AM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 19,153
Thanks: 12,699
Thanked 13,662 Times in 7,960 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: (Republicans try to bury the post office, but) Chris Wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
they required zero public financing beyond what was made from stamps etc. till in mid 00's they were forced by republicans in congress to pre fund retirement for (a 75 year period) employees not born yet.
but trump admin has added to that now that he is scared mailed votes will defeat him. appointing a donor to head the po; denying ot to get packages out the door, shutting down sorting machines early, requiring letter carriers to leave mail behind.


the po has done a better job than those private companies till these (see above) burdens have been placed on them and they STILL operate w/o tax payer funds.
if you are born in a remote town in Idaho you get mail. in fact the po was set to cut mail delivery using a small plane up the mountain from me. you could not get to the town in the winter on foot or car. people of the town complained to their representatives and the delivery did not stop. the price didn't go up. A private company has no such over site or compunction.
You ever heard of email? How about texting? The volume of first class letters, the postal services cash cow, has plummeted in the 21st century. Of course Democrats are loath to allow any form of the Federal government to shrink, not when the taxpayers can be forced to pick up the burden.

Mean old Republicans want the Post Office to fund its retirement system, shocking. Democrats insist the taxpayers must take up the burden just like they want the insolvent state and local government pension funds created by Democrats and their union cronies bailed out by Federal taxpayers.
__________________
If Democrats were confident their nominee actually received more than 80 million votes they wouldn't have more troops occupying Washington, DC than Lincoln had defending the city during the Civil War. Not Joe Biden, Kim Jung Biden.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AZRWinger For This Useful Post:
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2020, 11:14 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,724
Thanks: 10,550
Thanked 8,580 Times in 5,089 Posts
Default Re: (Republicans try to bury the post office, but) Chris Wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
While I don't usually find myself agreeing with Salty on many things nor do I enjoy defending government run entities, I will say that the US Postal Service does have a unique disadvantage in regards to their function. They are required to deliver mail on a daily basis, to every postal customer in the United States. FedEx, UPS nor any other carrier has this mandate. They rely on the Post Office to deliver to some of their more remote customers.

Now that being said, I believe that there needs to be a reform of the Postal requirements. If a person chooses to live in a remote area, only accessible by airplane or dog sled, they should pay a higher premium on postal rates. Nobody is forcing them to live where they do, it is matter of choice. And I am not referring to some remote Alaskan village where there are multiple residents. I referring to the guy that builds a cabin in the middle of nowhere but still expects his mail on a daily basis.
The cases where USPS goes where FedEx doesn't are few and far between, and in every case there are alternatives.

The same argument was made when Ma Bell was broken up and competition was allowed. The actual result. No loss of service was noted. Prices fell Private enterprise did just fine. Long distance used to be a treat reserved for special occasions. With a 3 minute limit/call. People begin using the internet. I expect we'll do just fine without USPS.

One of the reasons USPS can compete is that it owns billions of dollars of real estate. So does Fedex. Except Fedex pays taxes on theirs. USPS doesn't.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2020, 12:01 PM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,171
Thanks: 10,132
Thanked 7,447 Times in 4,255 Posts
Default Re: (Republicans try to bury the post office, but) Chris Wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
The cases where USPS goes where FedEx doesn't are few and far between, and in every case there are alternatives.

The same argument was made when Ma Bell was broken up and competition was allowed. The actual result. No loss of service was noted. Prices fell Private enterprise did just fine. Long distance used to be a treat reserved for special occasions. With a 3 minute limit/call. People begin using the internet. I expect we'll do just fine without USPS.

One of the reasons USPS can compete is that it owns billions of dollars of real estate. So does Fedex. Except Fedex pays taxes on theirs. USPS doesn't.
While I have not looked at this in a while, my impression was that there are areas that are hard for FedEx, UPS, etc. have difficulty delivering too. I know when I get something shipped UPS or FedEx, a lot of times, they drop it at the local post office and they deliver it. Very rarely does FedEx or UPS pull into my driveway. But the local postal carrier does.

But you may be right. Again, I have not researched this in a while, but the last time I did, the USPS was required to deliver to every postal address where the others were not.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2020, 02:31 AM
saltwn's Avatar
1966 Atlantic hurricane
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 85,011
Thanks: 56,370
Thanked 26,595 Times in 19,073 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: (Republicans try to bury the post office, but) Chris Wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
You ever heard of email? How about texting? The volume of first class letters, the postal services cash cow, has plummeted in the 21st century. Of course Democrats are loath to allow any form of the Federal government to shrink, not when the taxpayers can be forced to pick up the burden.

Mean old Republicans want the Post Office to fund its retirement system, shocking. Democrats insist the taxpayers must take up the burden just like they want the insolvent state and local government pension funds created by Democrats and their union cronies bailed out by Federal taxpayers.
They still do the bulk of package delivery. And they are cheaper.

No private or government business funds a 75 year retirement system. Funds. Has the funds for people not yet born. It's ridiculous and only a rule because of congress critters in the pockets of private mail servers.
__________________
Prince Phillip was one of the last of that greatest generation who kept the peace and built Western liberal freedom. ~Scott Morrison, PM Australia
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bury, but, chris, office, post, republicans, the, try, wallace

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0