Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > Open Discussion
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Open Discussion Discuss Biden staff donate to group that pays bail in riot-torn Minneapolis... at the General Forum; Originally Posted by Constant_Slothrop Bail funds long predate the current unrest, and bail reform efforts have been underway for years. ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2020, 10:59 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 13,661
Thanks: 12,363
Thanked 10,229 Times in 6,187 Posts
Default Re: Biden staff donate to group that pays bail in riot-torn Minneapolis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_Slothrop View Post
Bail funds long predate the current unrest, and bail reform efforts have been underway for years. Multiple states have significantly reformed or largely eliminated cash bail, including Republican majority states. There is nothing ignorant about objecting to a system that keeps people in jail for months or even years without trial just because they are poor and can't afford to pay bail.
One point is the justice system doesn't stop because someone hasn't posted bail.

Another point is, what crimes dente the need for 'cash bail'? Not jay walking, not speeding, not the 'everyday' BS that most people commit without realizing it. What crimes require bail? Those that a person made an actual choice to commit. Bodily harm, violence, grand theft.

Third point, most bail bondsmen have 'financing' capabilities.
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GottaGo For This Useful Post:
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2020, 11:11 AM
Dave1's Avatar
...Fair and Balanced...
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston, Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,785
Thanks: 4,561
Thanked 5,744 Times in 3,373 Posts
Default Re: Biden staff donate to group that pays bail in riot-torn Minneapolis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
If Biden was smart he would fire those staff members and condemn their actions as soon as possible. Because Trump or anyone could run an ads with videos of stores being looted and places being burned down with the caption Joe Biden is bailing out the people doing this to your cities.
Well you get it.....

Apparently Joe is not that smart.....

Expect Donald to use exactly that during any up coming debates....
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2020, 11:13 AM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,521
Thanks: 950
Thanked 7,765 Times in 5,557 Posts
Default Re: Biden staff donate to group that pays bail in riot-torn Minneapolis...

Joe Biden said he's gonna beat Joe Biden.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manitou For This Useful Post:
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2020, 11:21 AM
Constant_Slothrop's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3,602
Thanks: 12
Thanked 568 Times in 511 Posts
Default Re: Biden staff donate to group that pays bail in riot-torn Minneapolis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
One point is the justice system doesn't stop because someone hasn't posted bail.

Another point is, what crimes dente the need for 'cash bail'? Not jay walking, not speeding, not the 'everyday' BS that most people commit without realizing it. What crimes require bail? Those that a person made an actual choice to commit. Bodily harm, violence, grand theft.

Third point, most bail bondsmen have 'financing' capabilities.
The Supreme Court has held that bail set at a level higher than that required to assure the presence of the defendant at trial is prohibited under the Eighth Amendment. Bail isn't punishment based on the severity of the alleged crime.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2020, 11:47 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,779
Thanks: 13,086
Thanked 9,494 Times in 5,400 Posts
Default Re: Biden staff donate to group that pays bail in riot-torn Minneapolis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_Slothrop View Post
Cash bail should be abolished. It’s a form of modern-day debtors prison where the poor are incarcerated without due process.
Here's a thought: DON'T BREAK THE LAW!
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2020, 11:49 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,779
Thanks: 13,086
Thanked 9,494 Times in 5,400 Posts
Default Re: Biden staff donate to group that pays bail in riot-torn Minneapolis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_Slothrop View Post
Bail funds long predate the current unrest, and bail reform efforts have been underway for years. Multiple states have significantly reformed or largely eliminated cash bail, including Republican majority states. There is nothing ignorant about objecting to a system that keeps people in jail for months or even years without trial just because they are poor and can't afford to pay bail.
IF people are being held without trial for excessive amounts of time, that is another issue. That in itself is a Constitutional violation. But the answer to that is NOT to allow suspected criminals to walk free with no incentive to return for trial.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2020, 12:28 PM
Constant_Slothrop's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3,602
Thanks: 12
Thanked 568 Times in 511 Posts
Default Re: Biden staff donate to group that pays bail in riot-torn Minneapolis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
Here's a thought: DON'T BREAK THE LAW!
Kind of amazing how you guys are so quick to yell “innocent until proven guilty!” when a rich white guy is accused of wrongdoing (even outside of a criminal context) but want to keep poor black people locked up without due process.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2020, 12:30 PM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,779
Thanks: 13,086
Thanked 9,494 Times in 5,400 Posts
Default Re: Biden staff donate to group that pays bail in riot-torn Minneapolis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_Slothrop View Post
Kind of amazing how you guys are so quick to yell “innocent until proven guilty!” when a rich white guy is accused of wrongdoing (even outside of a criminal context) but want to keep poor black people locked up without due process.
Where did I saw we need to keep them locked up? I said they should be arrested and put on trial for their actions, just as the officers involved in the murder of George Floyd. There is a difference you know, you being an attorney and all.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2020, 12:46 PM
Dave1's Avatar
...Fair and Balanced...
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston, Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,785
Thanks: 4,561
Thanked 5,744 Times in 3,373 Posts
Default Re: Biden staff donate to group that pays bail in riot-torn Minneapolis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_Slothrop View Post
The Supreme Court has held that bail set at a level higher than that required to assure the presence of the defendant at trial is prohibited under the Eighth Amendment. Bail isn't punishment based on the severity of the alleged crime.
Well, some folks are denied any bail for the severity of their crimes....

That happens quite often....


So your point is moot....
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2020, 06:52 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 13,661
Thanks: 12,363
Thanked 10,229 Times in 6,187 Posts
Default Re: Biden staff donate to group that pays bail in riot-torn Minneapolis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_Slothrop View Post
The Supreme Court has held that bail set at a level higher than that required to assure the presence of the defendant at trial is prohibited under the Eighth Amendment. Bail isn't punishment based on the severity of the alleged crime.
Point being?

Actually, you just trashed your own argument....
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bail, biden, donate, group, minneapolis, pays, riottorn, staff, that

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0