Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > Open Discussion
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Open Discussion Discuss The desire to impeach Donald Trump at the General Forum; Brenda Wineapple, in The New York Times , had recently penned an article, "Impeachment Is a Form of Hope," in ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2019, 03:44 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,849
Thanks: 11,331
Thanked 4,227 Times in 2,732 Posts
Default The desire to impeach Donald Trump

Brenda Wineapple, in The New York Times, had recently penned an article, "Impeachment Is a Form of Hope," in which she suggests the impeachment of President Trump. She likens the situation, in fact, to the impeachment of Andrew Johnson (just following the Civil War) and the near-impeachment of Richard Nixon.

But a plan always needs an endgame. And the endgame here most certainly resides in the Senate--where a two-thirds supermajority (needed to convict) most certainly does not exist. In fact, there is nothing even close to that.

So I see the desire for impeachment as nothing more than a feelgood measure.

Comments?
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got it…"—George Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2019, 04:32 PM
Lollie's Avatar
Partisan de Trump
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Female
Posts: 18,563
Thanks: 15,331
Thanked 14,326 Times in 8,775 Posts
Default Re: The desire to impeach Donald Trump

I don't see it happening.
The left keep holding onto hope that it's going to happen.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lollie For This Useful Post:
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2019, 04:45 PM
Hairy Jello's Avatar
Deplorable
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,458
Thanks: 1,965
Thanked 13,167 Times in 8,239 Posts
Default Re: The desire to impeach Donald Trump

In order to be impeached ya have to do somethin' impeachable. Hatin' someone because they made ya wet your pants and form snot bubbles underneath your nose isn't an impeachable offense.
__________________

Not an accurate representation of a white person.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hairy Jello For This Useful Post:
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-20-2019, 07:29 AM
ShivaTD's Avatar
Progressive Libertarian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Immigrant to Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,420
Thanks: 1,492
Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,836 Posts
Default Re: The desire to impeach Donald Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
Brenda Wineapple, in The New York Times, had recently penned an article, "Impeachment Is a Form of Hope," in which she suggests the impeachment of President Trump. She likens the situation, in fact, to the impeachment of Andrew Johnson (just following the Civil War) and the near-impeachment of Richard Nixon.

But a plan always needs an endgame. And the endgame here most certainly resides in the Senate--where a two-thirds supermajority (needed to convict) most certainly does not exist. In fact, there is nothing even close to that.

So I see the desire for impeachment as nothing more than a feelgood measure.

Comments?
Democrats don't have any hope of impeachment resulting in the removal from office of President Trump before the next election. Democrats have another problem that needs to be addressed.

Trump is fighting against any Congressional oversight of his affairs as the President, as a candidate, and in his personal business affairs. He's threated to fight every House Committee subpoena in the Courts knowing in many cases he's going to lose. The objective isn't necessarily to win in court but instead it's to obstruct Congressional oversight using the slow process of the courts to create delays in compliance. If he can delay compliance until after Nov 2020 then Trump wins that battle.

So it's not about the impeachment process the Democrats should focus on. It's the impeachment investigation that's a prerequisite for the impeachment process that the Democrats should focus on. An impeachment investigation by the House carries far more weight and power in the courts that will reduce the ability of Donald Trump to obstruct the Congressional investigations by using the courts to delay compliance.
__________________
"I always had a rule, if a restaurant is dirty on the outside, it's dirty on the inside." Donald Trump

"I always had a rule, if the White House is dirty on the inside, it's dirty on the outside." ShivaTD

Based upon the corruption, brutality, inhumanity, immorality, dishonesty, and incompetence of the Trump administration the White House is the dirtiest house in America and there's no known cleanser that with remove the stains of the Trump Administration.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-20-2019, 07:45 AM
ShivaTD's Avatar
Progressive Libertarian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Immigrant to Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,420
Thanks: 1,492
Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,836 Posts
Default Re: The desire to impeach Donald Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Jello View Post
In order to be impeached ya have to do somethin' impeachable. Hatin' someone because they made ya wet your pants and form snot bubbles underneath your nose isn't an impeachable offense.
There's already substantial evidence of felonies committed by Donald Trump.

Trump is an unindicted co-conspirator in two felony counts of campaign finance law violations to effect the election. Testimony and evidence exists for the indictment and conviction once Trump leaves office.

Trump is unindicted on ten separate counts of Obstruction of Justice where the Mueller investigation found the evidence but couldn't indict because of DOJ policy.

Evidence was presented in Congressional testimony that Donald Trump committed felony bank and insurance fraud by inflating the value of his assets to many times the actual value.

This ignores the fact that "high crimes and misdemeanors" isn't a reference to violations of statutory law but instead is a reference the ability of the House to define acts that aren't a violation of statutory law. For example the aiding and abetting of the Russian attacks on the 2016 elections when those in the Trump campaign refused to disclose to the FBI their contacts with the Russians, that seriously hindered the FBI investigation, can be considered a "high crimes and misdemeanors" even though non-disclosure to a federal investigation may not technically violate statutory law.
__________________
"I always had a rule, if a restaurant is dirty on the outside, it's dirty on the inside." Donald Trump

"I always had a rule, if the White House is dirty on the inside, it's dirty on the outside." ShivaTD

Based upon the corruption, brutality, inhumanity, immorality, dishonesty, and incompetence of the Trump administration the White House is the dirtiest house in America and there's no known cleanser that with remove the stains of the Trump Administration.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-20-2019, 09:03 AM
Hairy Jello's Avatar
Deplorable
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,458
Thanks: 1,965
Thanked 13,167 Times in 8,239 Posts
Default Re: The desire to impeach Donald Trump

Ya sound like MSNBC.

Like I said, makin' ya cry and creating snot-bubbles underneath your nose isn't an impeachable offense. Sorry. Gotta try harder than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
There's already substantial evidence of felonies committed by Donald Trump.

Trump is an unindicted co-conspirator in two felony counts of campaign finance law violations to effect the election. Testimony and evidence exists for the indictment and conviction once Trump leaves office.

Trump is unindicted on ten separate counts of Obstruction of Justice where the Mueller investigation found the evidence but couldn't indict because of DOJ policy.

Evidence was presented in Congressional testimony that Donald Trump committed felony bank and insurance fraud by inflating the value of his assets to many times the actual value.

This ignores the fact that "high crimes and misdemeanors" isn't a reference to violations of statutory law but instead is a reference the ability of the House to define acts that aren't a violation of statutory law. For example the aiding and abetting of the Russian attacks on the 2016 elections when those in the Trump campaign refused to disclose to the FBI their contacts with the Russians, that seriously hindered the FBI investigation, can be considered a "high crimes and misdemeanors" even though non-disclosure to a federal investigation may not technically violate statutory law.
__________________

Not an accurate representation of a white person.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-20-2019, 09:17 AM
Constant_Slothrop's Avatar
Counselor
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 920
Thanks: 4
Thanked 162 Times in 144 Posts
Default Re: The desire to impeach Donald Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Jello View Post
In order to be impeached ya have to do somethin' impeachable. Hatin' someone because they made ya wet your pants and form snot bubbles underneath your nose isn't an impeachable offense.
The Mueller report concluded and documented the fact that Russian government operatives engaged in a coordinated and government-directed criminal campaign to interfere with the US election in 2016 in order to try to help elect Donald Trump president. Even if you ignore everything Trump and his campaign did in interacting with the Russians during the campaign, his willingness to accept those crimes and to benefit from them and his concerted effort to cover up and to try to avoid holding the Russians accountable for those crimes should be grounds for impeachment. The willingness of Trump’s supporters to overlook this is genuinely shameful and un-American.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-20-2019, 09:24 AM
Hairy Jello's Avatar
Deplorable
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,458
Thanks: 1,965
Thanked 13,167 Times in 8,239 Posts
Default Re: The desire to impeach Donald Trump

__________________

Not an accurate representation of a white person.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-20-2019, 09:24 AM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 17,586
Thanks: 10,932
Thanked 11,524 Times in 6,866 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: The desire to impeach Donald Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
Democrats don't have any hope of impeachment resulting in the removal from office of President Trump before the next election. Democrats have another problem that needs to be addressed.

Trump is fighting against any Congressional oversight of his affairs as the President, as a candidate, and in his personal business affairs. He's threated to fight every House Committee subpoena in the Courts knowing in many cases he's going to lose. The objective isn't necessarily to win in court but instead it's to obstruct Congressional oversight using the slow process of the courts to create delays in compliance. If he can delay compliance until after Nov 2020 then Trump wins that battle.

So it's not about the impeachment process the Democrats should focus on. It's the impeachment investigation that's a prerequisite for the impeachment process that the Democrats should focus on. An impeachment investigation by the House carries far more weight and power in the courts that will reduce the ability of Donald Trump to obstruct the Congressional investigations by using the courts to delay compliance.
Resistance Democrats in the House aren't interested in so-called oversight, they are obsessed with investigating President Trump out of partisan animus. Shortly after his election triumph some 40 House Democrats signed on to a motion to impeach President Trump. Despite the failure of FBI, Congressional and special counsel investigations to produce evidence of Russian collusion the Resistance Democrats continue their crusade doing the Russians work of undermining confidence in our elections needlessly.

Trump is defending the Presidency against the blatant abuse of Congressional oversight by House Democrats. There is no longer even a pretense of oversight by the lynch mob. Instead, let's have another redo of the Russian collusion investigation under the lynch mob carnival atmosphere complete with buckets of fried chicken and interrogation by hand picked prosecutors in hopes of creating a perjury trap for "lying" to Congress. It's a political carnival of hate by Resistance Democrats hoping to engineer impeachment hearings without drawing up articles of impeachment.

Resistance Democrats have no problem ignoring the conclusions of the Mueller report instead it's the basis for more investigation. Likewise the IRS auditing of Trump's tax return isn't sufficient for Resistance zealots, the tax returns for Trump and only Trump beginning in 2013 years before he entered politics must be surrendered to partisan inspection.

Resistance Democrats with aid from their media lackeys are untroubled by the rampant hypocrisy of proclaiming Mueller the great guardian of the rule of law or defending the IRS as exemplary, unbiased overseers of the tax code until they fail to satisfy the demand to lynch Trump. Then it's time to discard them in favor of tilting at windmills again.
__________________
What is a 30 something year old single man with a rock in one hand and a Honduran flag in the other?

An asylum seeker.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZRWinger For This Useful Post:
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-20-2019, 09:42 AM
ShivaTD's Avatar
Progressive Libertarian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Immigrant to Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,420
Thanks: 1,492
Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,836 Posts
Default Re: The desire to impeach Donald Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Jello View Post
Ya sound like MSNBC.

Like I said, makin' ya cry and creating snot-bubbles underneath your nose isn't an impeachable offense. Sorry. Gotta try harder than that.
The impeachment process is a political process for the removal from office. It's not a criminal proceeding and the House of Representatives determines what the criteria of "high crimes and misdemeanors" in the Articles of Impeachment.

IMHO the fact that Trump has brought disgrace to the Office of the President by his lack of any integrity, honesty, and ability in his public discourse is more than sufficient grounds for removal from office. It's not a criminal offense but it's an offense to everyone that believes in the Constitution and the role of the President.

Lying and misrepresenting the truth to the American People by the President is far worse than perjury committed under oath. Over 10,000 documented violations by President Trump where he's lied or misrepresented the truth to the American people is grounds for impeachment and removal from office.

But Trump will not be removed for office by Republicans just because he's unfit and unqualified to be President. Congress needs to get to the facts and present those facts to the American people so that the American people will remove President Trump from office in the next election.
__________________
"I always had a rule, if a restaurant is dirty on the outside, it's dirty on the inside." Donald Trump

"I always had a rule, if the White House is dirty on the inside, it's dirty on the outside." ShivaTD

Based upon the corruption, brutality, inhumanity, immorality, dishonesty, and incompetence of the Trump administration the White House is the dirtiest house in America and there's no known cleanser that with remove the stains of the Trump Administration.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
desire, donald, impeach, the, trump

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0