Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > Open Discussion
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Open Discussion Discuss 'I canít understand why': Mitt Romney criticizes Trump for attacks on the late John M at the General Forum; Originally Posted by ShivaTD Can it be that conservatives support the wholesale destruction of the environment that Trump initiated? Appointment ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2019, 02:54 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,945
Thanks: 11,533
Thanked 4,282 Times in 2,771 Posts
Default Re: 'I canít understand why': Mitt Romney criticizes Trump for attacks on the late Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
Can it be that conservatives support the wholesale destruction of the environment that Trump initiated? Appointment of Scott Pruitt that rescinded numerous environmental protects without any studies to support those decisions was eventually forced to resign because of his unethical behavior and mismanagement of the EPA.

Or do conservatives support Trump's head of the Interior Department that took protected lands away from the American people to hand over to his friends in the oil industry? Ryan Zinke, Trump's Secretary of the Interior, was also forced to resign because of numerous criminal investigations over his using his department to personally enrich himself while serving.
Do you really imagine that an argument may be furthered--or another one destroyed--by the use of ad hominem attacks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
Please tell me what it is that Trump has done that you agree with?
Perhaps "done" is the wrong verb here. But I am very pleased with his opposition to abortion on demand. (Until Roe v. Wade is overturned, however, there is very little that any president can do to curtail these abortions.)

As far as the "done" category is concerned, however, I would give the president high marks for his bombing of the Assad regime in Syria, almost a year ago. (Personally, I would hope also for a total blockade of Venezuela--much as we once blockaded Cuba, almost 60 years ago. At any rate, we should give other nations a choice: they can either deal with the US, or with Venezuela--but not with both. That would be an absolute impossibility.)
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got itÖ"óGeorge Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
  #62 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2019, 02:58 PM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 12,886
Thanks: 10,937
Thanked 9,104 Times in 5,661 Posts
Default Re: 'I canít understand why': Mitt Romney criticizes Trump for attacks on the late Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
RINO (Republican In Name Only) is a misnomer that has been applied to traditional Republicans that upheld the traditional ideology of fiscal conservatism and social liberalism that had existed in the Republican Party since at least WW II.

The "RINO' Republicans did not embrace the Neo-Con ideology that migrated from the Democratic Party during the 1980's nor did they embraces the religious conservatism and racism that also migrated from the Democratic Party at the same time. They were the Republicans that had supported the Civil Rights movement of the 1960's because they believed in equality for all people.

They were Republicans that expressed support for a balanced Supreme Court where originalism was always the first consideration but where pragmatism (non-originalism) still had a place. Justices like Scalia that was overwhelmingly an "Originalist" but that became pragmatic (non-originalist) if a Supreme Court decision would harm the American people would be their choice. They opposed packing the courts for political agendas regardless of whether it was to support Republican or Democratic agendas.

They placed Country ahead of Party in their actions.

They didn't fit with today's "Republicans" that were driven by religious bigotry, racism, foreign interventionism, and deficit spending to support tax cuts for the wealthy so they were labeled as "RINO's" because they stuck to the traditional values of the Republican Party that made it a party worth belonging to.

They were not swayed by the winds of change because they wouldn't compromise their values.

McCain was not completely a RINO but at least he still held some of the traditional Republican values. He opposed the GOP healthcare bill, for example, because it was about taking away healthcare and not providing it. It was bad legislation that the American people opposed and McCain place the American people ahead of the GOP and Trump in this one case. In other cases he folded to Party allegiance. He knew better than to vote to remove the cloture requirement for the Supreme Court but voted for it anyway.
Selective response, with no actual meat to it. Thanks for playing.
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GottaGo For This Useful Post:
  #63 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2019, 03:39 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 81,300
Thanks: 55,435
Thanked 26,263 Times in 18,790 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: 'I canít understand why': Mitt Romney criticizes Trump for attacks on the late Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
The words "brainwash" and "propaganda" are strident terms, which hardly describe what the Heritage Foundation does in any neutral sense.
but we according to the rules you set down are not being neutral. you say X is partisan; I say so is Y.
__________________
@StephenKing
Sometimes I feel like screaming, "Everybody knows that Trump is as crooked as a broken nose and as dumb as a fencepost. Just quit sh*tting around and get him the f*ck out of there."
Reply With Quote
  #64 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2019, 03:43 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 81,300
Thanks: 55,435
Thanked 26,263 Times in 18,790 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: 'I canít understand why': Mitt Romney criticizes Trump for attacks on the late Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
Scalia was in Chicago , teaching, for 5 years...

Obama returned to his home court, Chicago, where he's been for decades...

How the heck is this comparable???...
people who live in Chicago are not necessarily plotting a leftist political strategy, sometimes they're there to hook up with a bribe?
__________________
@StephenKing
Sometimes I feel like screaming, "Everybody knows that Trump is as crooked as a broken nose and as dumb as a fencepost. Just quit sh*tting around and get him the f*ck out of there."
Reply With Quote
  #65 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2019, 03:47 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 81,300
Thanks: 55,435
Thanked 26,263 Times in 18,790 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: 'I canít understand why': Mitt Romney criticizes Trump for attacks on the late Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
The words "brainwash" and "propaganda" are strident terms, which hardly describe what the Heritage Foundation does in any neutral sense.
political leaning does not equate to work history
HF teaching doesn't mean you never worked any more than lawyering for a group of seniors means that.
__________________
@StephenKing
Sometimes I feel like screaming, "Everybody knows that Trump is as crooked as a broken nose and as dumb as a fencepost. Just quit sh*tting around and get him the f*ck out of there."
Reply With Quote
  #66 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2019, 02:15 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,945
Thanks: 11,533
Thanked 4,282 Times in 2,771 Posts
Default Re: 'I canít understand why': Mitt Romney criticizes Trump for attacks on the late Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
but we according to the rules you set down are not being neutral. you say X is partisan; I say so is Y.
I do not remember having ever quoted the Heritage Foundation, in order to make a point.

But have you ever quoted a left-wing source, in furtherance of your intended point?
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got itÖ"óGeorge Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
  #67 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2019, 06:17 PM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 17,759
Thanks: 11,104
Thanked 11,748 Times in 6,981 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: 'I canít understand why': Mitt Romney criticizes Trump for attacks on the late Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_Slothrop View Post
Except it isnít a game, and the difference is that I have actual demonstrable evidence to back up my argument. If you claim to be a patriot, you cannot uncritically support a guy who has decided to relentlessly disparage a dead war hero.



The University of Chicago Law School, where Antonin Scalia taught before his appointment to the court and where Richard Posner teaches today, is ďthe hot bed of radical Leftist extremismĒ? Where do you people come up with this idiocy?
Where did you come up with the idiocy that I claimed the University of Chicago was a hot bed of Leftwing extremism? What I wrote was that Chicago was a hotbed of Leftwing activism. But hey, it's easier to just call someone else an idiot than actually read their comment.

It's been a long time since Scalia taught there but if a Conservative ever taught at a school it counts as balance forever.
__________________
What is a 30 something year old single man with a rock in one hand and a Honduran flag in the other?

An asylum seeker.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AZRWinger For This Useful Post:
  #68 (permalink)  
Old 03-24-2019, 03:17 PM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,248
Thanks: 10,580
Thanked 6,644 Times in 4,515 Posts
Default Re: 'I canít understand why': Mitt Romney criticizes Trump for attacks on the late Jo

"He's not a war hero," Trump said then.
"He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren't captured."

reading this i have to wonder.
Trump supporters seem to have ZERO to little problem with these comments from him.
Here's a question, does this apply to all vets?
1st the military member has to do something extraordinary in the eye's of beholder and/or "get captured" before they become "heroes"?
I thought just "SERVING" was enough.
But 2ndly, does this mean that anyone that was a POW should NOT be consider a hero?
Is Trump's standard correct?
And if it is, what does that say about soldiers/airmen/sailors who have been killed in action?
Couldn't that be considered an even worse FAIL than getting captured?

But overall i've seen little to no criticism of deferment taking Trump's comments about a POW Vet.
But at the same time some of these same people nearly blow blood vessels in their foreheads if someone doesn't stand for the flag and anthem at a ballgame.
Saying with pure outrage and disgust that it's ONLY a sign of "disrespects the U.S. vets". And is to much to bear. to the point of calling for firings and boycotts.
So is it just OK to "disrespect" SPECIFIC POW/MIA/Fallen vets or is just Ok if Trump does it? or something else?
I'd just like to get some clarity on what's going on here.
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
attacks, canít, criticizes, for, john, late, mitt, romney, the, trump, understand, why

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0