Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > Open Discussion
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Open Discussion Discuss FCC Repeals Net Neutrality Rules| Right Side Broadcasting Network at the General Forum; clear explanation of net neutrality ; reads comments coming in Live This news org. is a little RW but the ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2017, 09:52 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 75,845
Thanks: 53,861
Thanked 25,642 Times in 18,248 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default FCC Repeals Net Neutrality Rules| Right Side Broadcasting Network

clear explanation of net neutrality ; reads comments coming in Live

This news org. is a little RW but the reporters try to remain unbiased.
the producer is a full on RW'r.

__________________

Water Gate II
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2017, 07:04 PM
Lumara's Avatar
Belly Dance Queen
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Great Smoky Mountains
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,171
Thanks: 2,950
Thanked 2,698 Times in 1,315 Posts
Default Re: FCC Repeals Net Neutrality Rules| Right Side Broadcasting Network

I can understand where both sides are coming from, and I like what Milo had to say about this:

__________________
Fact: There is no such thing as banning abortion; there is only banning safe and legal abortion.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2017, 07:34 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,386
Thanks: 10,022
Thanked 15,138 Times in 9,175 Posts
Post Re: FCC Repeals Net Neutrality Rules| Right Side Broadcasting Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumara View Post
I can understand where both sides are coming from, and I like what Milo had to say about this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vguz5CuATEE
I will agree with Milo that there has been fear-mongering. I find it ironic that he perpetuates fear-mongering in his commentary as well.

I do appreciate that his brief, one/two sentence description of net neutrality is actually accurate. Specifically, 1-2 sentences of what he said.
Net Neutrality does require that every packet gets treated the same regardless of what it contains. That's an accurate description.

Milo ignores some huge reality points...
1) It is not really about the ISP "creating richer content" for the end users. That is absolute horse-####.
What it is about is preventing further expansion of monopolies. And the right repeatedly fails to appreciate that.
If an ISP is in bed with youtube and doesn't like Netflix, under net neutrality they need to treat the speed of both equally.
Without net neutrality, they can fast-track youtube speed while throttling Netflix to harm their brand.
And that's just talking about the big guys. What will stifle "richer content" is monopolies which want to prevent up and comers from having equal access.
Net Neutrality would require that an up and coming web-site be granted equal speed. Equal playing ground.
Revoking it allows ISPs to throttle the up and coming web-site so it loses traffic.

2) There is absolutely nothing in revoking net neutrality which will aid end users. End users can already pay for different speed packages. That already exists and has nothing to do with net neutrality.
Customers can already choose to get faster service.

3) Claiming this net neutrality is about government greed for control is myopic.
Anybody who thinks Net Neutrality somehow gives the government any meaningful power is just not thinking about the situation.
Take a parallel of the Civil Rights Act which states that public businesses have to serve people regardless of their color. Equally.
That was not enacted because the government was greedy for control. Not because they were looking to "expand" their power.
It was enacted because of justice and public interest in enacting such policies.
The people want a law established. And it got established.
Poll: 83 percent of voters support keeping FCC's net neutrality rules | TheHill
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foundit66 For This Useful Post:
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2017, 07:50 AM
ShivaTD's Avatar
Progressive Libertarian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Immigrant to Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,209
Thanks: 1,438
Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,743 Posts
Default Re: FCC Repeals Net Neutrality Rules| Right Side Broadcasting Network

Legal challenges are already in the works because it's relatively apparent that the Trump FCC violated the Administrative Procedures Act (APA) in repealing the regulations.

The APA requires public comment and it's been known for weeks that millions of the public comments in favor of repeal of the net neutrality regulations were fraudulent. The FCC was notified of this finding weeks ago and took no action to address the millions of fraudulent submissions supporting deregulation. The failure of the FCC to address the fraudulent submissions violates the integrity of the public comment requirements in the APA and is likely to nullify the FCC's actions.

The courts will ultimately decided but I'd expect a "stay" on the deregulation and the eventual overturning of this action by the FCC.

Although that's likely to happen there's also bipartisan legislation in the works to codify net neutrality into the law. No one really supports the action by the FCC except the internet providers that would make billions on additional charges they can collect by imposing censorship and restrictions on internet content.
__________________
"I always had a rule, if a restaurant is dirty on the outside, it's dirty on the inside." Donald Trump

"I always had a rule, if the White House is dirty on the inside, it's dirty on the outside." ShivaTD

Based upon the corruption, brutality, inhumanity, immorality, dishonesty, and incompetence of the Trump administration the White House is the dirtiest house in America and there's no known cleanser that with remove the stains of the Trump Administration.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShivaTD For This Useful Post:
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2017, 11:23 AM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 15,842
Thanks: 8,744
Thanked 9,437 Times in 5,771 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: FCC Repeals Net Neutrality Rules| Right Side Broadcasting Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
I will agree with Milo that there has been fear-mongering. I find it ironic that he perpetuates fear-mongering in his commentary as well.

I do appreciate that his brief, one/two sentence description of net neutrality is actually accurate. Specifically, 1-2 sentences of what he said.
Net Neutrality does require that every packet gets treated the same regardless of what it contains. That's an accurate description.

Milo ignores some huge reality points...
1) It is not really about the ISP "creating richer content" for the end users. That is absolute horse-####.
What it is about is preventing further expansion of monopolies. And the right repeatedly fails to appreciate that.
If an ISP is in bed with youtube and doesn't like Netflix, under net neutrality they need to treat the speed of both equally.
Without net neutrality, they can fast-track youtube speed while throttling Netflix to harm their brand.
And that's just talking about the big guys. What will stifle "richer content" is monopolies which want to prevent up and comers from having equal access.
Net Neutrality would require that an up and coming web-site be granted equal speed. Equal playing ground.
Revoking it allows ISPs to throttle the up and coming web-site so it loses traffic.

2) There is absolutely nothing in revoking net neutrality which will aid end users. End users can already pay for different speed packages. That already exists and has nothing to do with net neutrality.
Customers can already choose to get faster service.

3) Claiming this net neutrality is about government greed for control is myopic.
Anybody who thinks Net Neutrality somehow gives the government any meaningful power is just not thinking about the situation.
Take a parallel of the Civil Rights Act which states that public businesses have to serve people regardless of their color. Equally.
That was not enacted because the government was greedy for control. Not because they were looking to "expand" their power.
It was enacted because of justice and public interest in enacting such policies.
The people want a law established. And it got established.
Poll: 83 percent of voters support keeping FCC's net neutrality rules | TheHill
There is no fear mongering is supporting a return to a free market based internet rather than one ruled by heavy handed Federal bureaucrats. So-called net neutrality allows bureaucrats to an unbridled mechanism to enact their political agenda by determining which ISP's are acting in the public interest and which shall be penalized. We have seen the results of this in the IRS withholding tax exempt status to selected organizations to assist a Presidential candidates re election biding the FBI collusion with the DOJ to let Hillary off the hook for her illegal server. There are other examples as well.

If the desire is to deal in reality then how about dealing with the reality that the ISP boogeyman stories of Net Neutrality stories has never existed in reality. How about the reality that the Federal government regulatory apparatus doesn't deal with businesses neutrally? Oh no, the government bureaucrats are assumed to be the infallible models of equal treatment despite the evidence.

The numbered list.
  1. There is no case of ISP's creating tiered service based on content. The cries for Net Neutrality would have us create a regulatory apparatus based on a prospective problem.
  2. There is no problem if you want to pay for high speed access to Netflix or Hulu or any other content just as there is nothing wrong with cable companies charging extra for premium stations like HBO or Showtime.
  3. The idea that we ought to support net neutrality regulation because it doesn't give Federal bureaucrats any real power to regulate is comical. Prospective regulation of a nonexistent problem by bureaucrats with no power sound perfect doesn't it?

Here is a reality check, data packets are not people, they don't have civil rights. Just when it seemed the net neutrality arguments couldn't become more absurd, out pops this one.

Net neutrality is the kind of government meddling the old Soviet Union would have loved. Everyone gets driven to the lowest common denominator in the name of equality. Like Obamacare forcing everyone to buy the same set of benefits no matter if they need or can use them, net neutrality would force consumers to pay for they don't want or need. For example if a consumer subscribes to Hulu but not Netflix, why should they have to pay for the cost of Netflix using high speed infrastructure to get a better Hulu experience? The answer is obvious but that is exactly what Net Neutrality would do.
__________________
The Democrat's strategy for the Trump Presidency is the same one used by Stalin's secret police chief "show me the man and I will show you the crime."
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZRWinger For This Useful Post:
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2017, 07:38 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 75,845
Thanks: 53,861
Thanked 25,642 Times in 18,248 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: FCC Repeals Net Neutrality Rules| Right Side Broadcasting Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumara View Post
I can understand where both sides are coming from, and I like what Milo had to say about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vguz5CuATEE
If I wanted reality actor opinions I'd post late night comedians.
This was a serious attempt at getting rw here to look at a serious presentation of facts and comments.
__________________

Water Gate II
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2017, 11:22 AM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,386
Thanks: 10,022
Thanked 15,138 Times in 9,175 Posts
Default Re: FCC Repeals Net Neutrality Rules| Right Side Broadcasting Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
There is no fear mongering is supporting a return to a free market based internet rather than one ruled by heavy handed Federal bureaucrats.
"heavy handed"?

It is profoundly amazing how Repubs talk out BOTH sides of their mouths on this issue. And people don't even catch it.

On the one hand, Repubs claim nothing will happen. Thus, contradicting any pretense of "heavy handed".
On the other hand, Repubs claim that this legislation is halting all sorts of amazing innovation (which is a b.s. claim ).


Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
So-called net neutrality allows bureaucrats to an unbridled mechanism to enact their political agenda by determining which ISP's are acting in the public interest and which shall be penalized.
This is a profoundly stupid lie.
Nothing in net neutrality did as you claim.

I challenge you to quote what in net neutrality allowed "bureaucrats to an unbridled mechanism to enact their political agenda by determining which ISP's are acting in the public interest and which shall be penalized".


Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
We have seen the results of this in the IRS withholding tax exempt status to selected organizations to assist a Presidential candidates re election biding the FBI collusion with the DOJ to let Hillary off the hook for her illegal server. There are other examples as well.
You claim we have seen the results as you toss out oranges while we talk about apples.
What were those results???
Did Democrats win elections because of it?
What were the actual results?

Repubs have gotten good at the soccer flop, but the reality is that there is no real substance to the injury.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
If the desire is to deal in reality then how about dealing with the reality that the ISP boogeyman stories of Net Neutrality stories has never existed in reality.
I've already pointed out how it did before Net Neutrality was enacted.
One of the ISPs was busted in throttling "competition". Netflix was another example where it was recognized as being throttled.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
How about the reality that the Federal government regulatory apparatus doesn't deal with businesses neutrally? Oh no, the government bureaucrats are assumed to be the infallible models of equal treatment despite the evidence.
The numbered list.
  1. There is no case of ISP's creating tiered service based on content. The cries for Net Neutrality would have us create a regulatory apparatus based on a prospective problem.
  2. There is no problem if you want to pay for high speed access to Netflix or Hulu or any other content just as there is nothing wrong with cable companies charging extra for premium stations like HBO or Showtime.
  3. The idea that we ought to support net neutrality regulation because it doesn't give Federal bureaucrats any real power to regulate is comical. Prospective regulation of a nonexistent problem by bureaucrats with no power sound perfect doesn't it?
#1 => Exists in other countries and we don't want it here. Thus, the pre-emptive measure.
#2 => WRONG! With a cable company charging extra, the money goes to the actual premium channel as the cable company is simply providing access.
With the internet, it's the consumer who ALREADY pays for Netflix.
And now you want them to pay the ISP as well?

That's like saying that you already paid Sears for the package and shipping. But now the delivery boy wants COD.
#3 => This exemplifies the absurdity of the fear-mongering.
You want to proclaim that nobody should trust the government as a reason not to allow this protection?


Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
Here is a reality check, data packets are not people, they don't have civil rights. Just when it seemed the net neutrality arguments couldn't become more absurd, out pops this one.
Nobody said they were people, so this is a dumb rejoinder from you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
Net neutrality is the kind of government meddling the old Soviet Union would have loved. Everyone gets driven to the lowest common denominator in the name of equality. Like Obamacare forcing everyone to buy the same set of benefits no matter if they need or can use them, net neutrality would force consumers to pay for they don't want or need. For example if a consumer subscribes to Hulu but not Netflix, why should they have to pay for the cost of Netflix using high speed infrastructure to get a better Hulu experience? The answer is obvious but that is exactly what Net Neutrality would do.
You refuse to acknowledge how much fear-mongering you do on this issue.

You claim politician abuse. WHERE IS THIS ABUSE? WHERE HAS IT ACTUALLY OCCURRED?
It was enacted under Obama. Can you document how he or any other politician abused it?

And, consumers pay for the access. Saying "what they don't need" is stupid.
Tiered packages already exist with internet companies. Customers can already upgrade or downgrade based on what they want.

And you have shown no consumer interest in censoring by content.
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
broadcasting, fcc, net, network, neutrality, repeals, right, rules|, side

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0