Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > Open Discussion
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Open Discussion Discuss Our current military readiness at the General Forum; I have long known that our military is hollowed out. Mere comparisons of how many divisions the US has, vis-à-vis ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2017, 05:14 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,509
Thanks: 10,458
Thanked 3,936 Times in 2,563 Posts
Default Our current military readiness

I have long known that our military is hollowed out. Mere comparisons of how many divisions the US has, vis-à-vis other countries, blatantly ignores this fact.

Less than a week ago, however, Jennifer Griffin, on FNC, did a more specific accounting of the matter.

She noted the following:

*Marine aviators are cannibalizing other planes, just to get to the Middle East.

*Half of the B-1 bombers in South Dakota's air base could not fly; people there had to get spare parts from the "Boneyard," in Arizona, in order to make them fly.

*As to the army, only five--five--of 58 brigades are currently ready to fight.

This all sounds pretty depressing to me...
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got it…"—George Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2017, 05:22 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 79,615
Thanks: 54,933
Thanked 26,040 Times in 18,587 Posts
Default Re: Our current military readiness

call congress. it's republicans who often wont appropriate the money.
__________________
I find it revealing when people mock where I came from, & say they’re going to “send me back to waitressing,” as if that is bad or shameful.

It’s as though they think being a member of Congress makes you intrinsically “better” than a waitress.

But our job is to serve, not rule. ___
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saltwn For This Useful Post:
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2017, 06:16 PM
Scholar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,624
Thanks: 343
Thanked 1,886 Times in 1,152 Posts
Default Re: Our current military readiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
call congress. it's republicans who often wont appropriate the money.
Sorry, Salt, but it takes years to run the military down to this point. And it will take a few years to build it back without breaking the bank. So, if you want fingers pointed for the current military conditions, then you have to point them at the last administration.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to loboloco For This Useful Post:
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2017, 08:21 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 79,615
Thanks: 54,933
Thanked 26,040 Times in 18,587 Posts
Default Re: Our current military readiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by loboloco View Post
Sorry, Salt, but it takes years to run the military down to this point. And it will take a few years to build it back without breaking the bank. So, if you want fingers pointed for the current military conditions, then you have to point them at the last administration.
congress appropriates funds, my dear. but blame away just make the call and keep making it.
__________________
I find it revealing when people mock where I came from, & say they’re going to “send me back to waitressing,” as if that is bad or shameful.

It’s as though they think being a member of Congress makes you intrinsically “better” than a waitress.

But our job is to serve, not rule. ___
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saltwn For This Useful Post:
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2017, 06:29 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,764
Thanks: 4,997
Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,964 Posts
Default Re: Our current military readiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
congress appropriates funds, my dear. but blame away just make the call and keep making it.
Republicans have only had control of congress for the last 7 years, 6 of which they had a liberal, anti military president that was more interested in building entitlement spending than supporting our military. Military funding issues go back 20 years or more.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2017, 05:48 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 79,615
Thanks: 54,933
Thanked 26,040 Times in 18,587 Posts
Default Re: Our current military readiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
Republicans have only had control of congress for the last 7 years, 6 of which they had a liberal, anti military president that was more interested in building entitlement spending than supporting our military. Military funding issues go back 20 years or more.
make the call
__________________
I find it revealing when people mock where I came from, & say they’re going to “send me back to waitressing,” as if that is bad or shameful.

It’s as though they think being a member of Congress makes you intrinsically “better” than a waitress.

But our job is to serve, not rule. ___
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2017, 10:05 AM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 16,901
Thanks: 9,997
Thanked 10,519 Times in 6,383 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: Our current military readiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
make the call
Congressional Democrats insist on dollar for dollar matching increases in social welfare spending for increases in the defense spending. As long as Democrat Senators vote in lockstep, they can block or double the cost of defense spending increases. All the while Democrats bray in opposition to the President trying to get NATO members to pay their fair share for defense freeing up funds to rebuild our military.

So yes, call where it might do some good, Democrat Senators.
__________________
What is a 30 something year old single man with a rock in one hand and a Honduran flag in the other?

An asylum seeker.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZRWinger For This Useful Post:
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2017, 04:03 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 79,615
Thanks: 54,933
Thanked 26,040 Times in 18,587 Posts
Default Re: Our current military readiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
Congressional Democrats insist on dollar for dollar matching increases in social welfare spending for increases in the defense spending. As long as Democrat Senators vote in lockstep, they can block or double the cost of defense spending increases. All the while Democrats bray in opposition to the President trying to get NATO members to pay their fair share for defense freeing up funds to rebuild our military.

So yes, call where it might do some good, Democrat Senators.
make the call; keep calling
__________________
I find it revealing when people mock where I came from, & say they’re going to “send me back to waitressing,” as if that is bad or shameful.

It’s as though they think being a member of Congress makes you intrinsically “better” than a waitress.

But our job is to serve, not rule. ___
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-10-2017, 10:24 PM
Uncle Jim's Avatar
Counselor
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Nashville, tn
Gender: Male
Posts: 774
Thanks: 349
Thanked 261 Times in 234 Posts
Default Re: Our current military readiness

[quote=getaclue;921419]republicans have only had control of congress for the last 7 years, 6 of which they had a liberal, anti military president that was more interested in building entitlement spending than supporting our military. Military funding issues go back 20 years or more.


BS,BS,BS,BS,BS,BS

Last edited by Uncle Jim; 12-10-2017 at 10:35 PM..
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Jim For This Useful Post:
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-11-2017, 07:48 AM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 16,901
Thanks: 9,997
Thanked 10,519 Times in 6,383 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: Our current military readiness

[quote=Uncle Jim;921766]
Quote:
Originally Posted by getaclue View Post
republicans have only had control of congress for the last 7 years, 6 of which they had a liberal, anti military president that was more interested in building entitlement spending than supporting our military. Military funding issues go back 20 years or more.


BS,BS,BS,BS,BS,BS
Deny, deny, deny. The simple fact is the Obama administration was behind slashing defense spending, the cause of our decline in military readiness.

Obama even looted to send plane loads of cash to a government with an official policy of death to America, Iran. Imagine that, money appropriated for our defense paid to an openly hostile, leading sponsor of terrorism in the world. Thanks Obama.
__________________
What is a 30 something year old single man with a rock in one hand and a Honduran flag in the other?

An asylum seeker.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZRWinger For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
current, military, our, readiness

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0