Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > Open Discussion
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Open Discussion Discuss Trump Told Army Widow Her Husband Knew 'What He Signed Up For,' Congresswoman Says at the General Forum; A Florida congresswoman described President Donald Trump’s phone call to the widow of a soldier killed during an ambush in ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2017, 03:55 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PNW
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,513
Thanks: 22,404
Thanked 18,921 Times in 13,936 Posts
Default Trump Told Army Widow Her Husband Knew 'What He Signed Up For,' Congresswoman Says

A Florida congresswoman described President Donald Trump’s phone call to the widow of a soldier killed during an ambush in Niger as “insensitive” after the president reportedly said the man “must’ve known what he signed up for.”

Rep. Frederica Wilson (D-Fla.) was in the car with Myeshia Johnson, the pregnant widow of Army Sgt. La David Johnson, when Trump called her Tuesday and spoke for about five minutes, according to South Florida’s NBC affiliate.

“Sarcastically he said: ‘But you know he must have known what he signed up for,’” Wilson recounted to NBC6. “How could you say that to a grieving widow? I couldn’t believe... and he said it more than once. I said this man has no feelings for anyone. This is a young woman with child who is grieved to her soul.”

The White House declined to comment on the account in statements given to The Washington Post and an ABC affiliate.

“The president’s conversations with the families of American heroes who have made the ultimate sacrifice are private,” an unnamed official said in the statement.

Four Green Berets were killed in an ambush in Niger earlier this month, and two others were wounded. Following a question about why he hadn’t spoken about their deaths publicly or called troops’ families, Trump said Monday that he had written personal letters and that he planned to call later. He then used the opportunity to falsely assert that his predecessors “didn’t make calls” themselves.

Former President Barack Obama frequently called the families of soldiers killed in action and visited those wounded during his administration. President George W. Bush visited troops at the Walter Reed medical center 16 times before he left office.

White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders confirmed on Twitter late Tuesday that Trump had called all four families of those killed, saying he offered “condolences on behalf of the country.”

Trump returned to the subject Tuesday, using the death of Chief of Staff John Kelly’s son in 2010 to illustrate Obama’s record on calling bereaved families, saying his predecessor did not call in that instance. Obama invited Kelly and his wife, Karen, to a breakfast in 2011 for Gold Star families who have lost children in combat. They were seated at a table with first lady Michelle Obama.

Wilson on Tuesday described Trump’s call as “insensitive” in an interview to a local ABC affiliate. She was with Myeshia Johnson and her two children, ages 2 and 6, as she watched the casket carrying her husband arrive at Miami International Airport.

“He should have not have said that,” Wilson told ABC 10, before repeating, “He shouldn’t have said it.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-tol...032259427.html
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2017, 04:15 AM
Surly's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Midwest
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,299
Thanks: 2,822
Thanked 3,069 Times in 2,400 Posts
Default Re: Trump Told Army Widow Her Husband Knew 'What He Signed Up For,' Congresswoman Say

You know I really don't believe this. The POTUS really wouldn't be this stupid. Would he? After thinking about this it has to be fake news.
__________________
"I am the chosen one."

-Donald
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Surly For This Useful Post:
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2017, 05:05 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PNW
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,513
Thanks: 22,404
Thanked 18,921 Times in 13,936 Posts
Default Re: Trump Told Army Widow Her Husband Knew 'What He Signed Up For,' Congresswoman Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly View Post
You know I really don't believe this. The POTUS really wouldn't be this stupid. Would he? After thinking about this it has to be fake news.
His supporters will blame the msm
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2017, 07:15 AM
ShivaTD's Avatar
Progressive Libertarian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Immigrant to Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,429
Thanks: 1,492
Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,841 Posts
Default Re: Trump Told Army Widow Her Husband Knew 'What He Signed Up For,' Congresswoman Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly View Post
You know I really don't believe this. The POTUS really wouldn't be this stupid. Would he? After thinking about this it has to be fake news.
It's not about stupidity. Donald Trump stated making these phone calls is one of the hardest things he does and that's understandable because of this one reason alone:

Quote:
Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for admiration and a lack of empathy for others.
Narcissistic personality disorder - Mayo Clinic

It's extremely hard for Donald Trump because he lacks any empathy for other people and we've seen that repeatedly.

Throwing paper towels to the victims in Puerto Rico (people that urgently needed and still need clean water, food, and medical services) so they could wipe up the spills in their kitchen that was destroyed by Hurricane Maria reflected that complete lack of empathy for the victims.

In responding to the recent Charlottesville terrorist attack that sent 19 people to the hospital and resulted in the death of 32 year old Heather Heyer Donald Trump claimed there were "good people" among the Neo-Nazi White Supremacists that were all jointly responsible for her death. A complete lack of empathy for the victims of a terrorist attack.

Trump lacks the ability to care about others and that's not really his fault. It's a symptom of his malignant narcissistic personality disorder that leaves him living in a world of delusion. I'm not sure what the mental health professionals can do to treat narcissism but we do know that Donald Trump is not receiving that help.
__________________
"I always had a rule, if a restaurant is dirty on the outside, it's dirty on the inside." Donald Trump

"I always had a rule, if the White House is dirty on the inside, it's dirty on the outside." ShivaTD

Based upon the corruption, brutality, inhumanity, immorality, dishonesty, and incompetence of the Trump administration the White House is the dirtiest house in America and there's no known cleanser that with remove the stains of the Trump Administration.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShivaTD For This Useful Post:
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2017, 07:57 AM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,830
Thanks: 10,214
Thanked 13,806 Times in 7,534 Posts
Default Re: Trump Told Army Widow Her Husband Knew 'What He Signed Up For,' Congresswoman Say

What Trump said to the widow is recorded. While it would be insensitive to publish that call perhaps he should.

Congresswoman Wilson is a known idiot. At best, it is charitable to suggest she exaggerated the President's words, but the bottom line is she lied.
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE

Last edited by FrancSevin; 10-18-2017 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2017, 08:03 AM
Lollie's Avatar
Essential Deplorable
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Female
Posts: 18,853
Thanks: 15,650
Thanked 14,697 Times in 8,970 Posts
Default Re: Trump Told Army Widow Her Husband Knew 'What He Signed Up For,' Congresswoman Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
What Trump said to the widow is recorded. While it would be insensitive to publish that call perhaps he should.

Congresswoman Wilson is a known idiot. At best , it is charitable to suggest she exaggerated the President's words, but the bottom line is she lied.
Here Franc, to clarify I have bolded the part of what you said which we are in agreement, since Mikeyy likes to watch who thanks who.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lollie For This Useful Post:
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2017, 08:09 AM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,830
Thanks: 10,214
Thanked 13,806 Times in 7,534 Posts
Default Re: Trump Told Army Widow Her Husband Knew 'What He Signed Up For,' Congresswoman Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollie View Post
Here Franc, to clarify I have bolded the part of what you said which we are in agreement, since Mikeyy likes to watch who thanks who.
Using a widow's grief to score political points is about as low as it gets. But, that is where Congresswoman Wilson lives.
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2017, 10:16 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 83,318
Thanks: 56,009
Thanked 26,471 Times in 18,964 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Trump Told Army Widow Her Husband Knew 'What He Signed Up For,' Congresswoman Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
A Florida congresswoman described President Donald Trump’s phone call to the widow of a soldier killed during an ambush in Niger as “insensitive” after the president reportedly said the man “must’ve known what he signed up for.”

Rep. Frederica Wilson (D-Fla.) was in the car with Myeshia Johnson, the pregnant widow of Army Sgt. La David Johnson, when Trump called her Tuesday and spoke for about five minutes, according to South Florida’s NBC affiliate.

“Sarcastically he said: ‘But you know he must have known what he signed up for,’” Wilson recounted to NBC6. “How could you say that to a grieving widow? I couldn’t believe... and he said it more than once. I said this man has no feelings for anyone. This is a young woman with child who is grieved to her soul.”

The White House declined to comment on the account in statements given to The Washington Post and an ABC affiliate.

“The president’s conversations with the families of American heroes who have made the ultimate sacrifice are private,” an unnamed official said in the statement.

Four Green Berets were killed in an ambush in Niger earlier this month, and two others were wounded. Following a question about why he hadn’t spoken about their deaths publicly or called troops’ families, Trump said Monday that he had written personal letters and that he planned to call later. He then used the opportunity to falsely assert that his predecessors “didn’t make calls” themselves.

Former President Barack Obama frequently called the families of soldiers killed in action and visited those wounded during his administration. President George W. Bush visited troops at the Walter Reed medical center 16 times before he left office.

White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders confirmed on Twitter late Tuesday that Trump had called all four families of those killed, saying he offered “condolences on behalf of the country.”

Trump returned to the subject Tuesday, using the death of Chief of Staff John Kelly’s son in 2010 to illustrate Obama’s record on calling bereaved families, saying his predecessor did not call in that instance. Obama invited Kelly and his wife, Karen, to a breakfast in 2011 for Gold Star families who have lost children in combat. They were seated at a table with first lady Michelle Obama.

Wilson on Tuesday described Trump’s call as “insensitive” in an interview to a local ABC affiliate. She was with Myeshia Johnson and her two children, ages 2 and 6, as she watched the casket carrying her husband arrive at Miami International Airport.

“He should have not have said that,” Wilson told ABC 10, before repeating, “He shouldn’t have said it.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-tol...032259427.html

the best thing to do in a bereavement situation is keep it short and dont ad lib

i have heard some people talk this way but people around them knew they were lowly educated and didnt know any better.
__________________
Khartoum has been facing heavy pressure and “blackmail” from the US administration to normalize relations with Israel in return for removing Sudan from the list of state sponsors of terrorism...~Jerusalem Post
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2017, 10:17 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 83,318
Thanks: 56,009
Thanked 26,471 Times in 18,964 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Trump Told Army Widow Her Husband Knew 'What He Signed Up For,' Congresswoman Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
What Trump said to the widow is recorded. While it would be insensitive to publish that call perhaps he should.

Congresswoman Wilson is a known idiot. At best, it is charitable to suggest she exaggerated the President's words, but the bottom line is she lied.
better hope it is not recorded, which I doubt it is. but if it is he broke fla law
__________________
Khartoum has been facing heavy pressure and “blackmail” from the US administration to normalize relations with Israel in return for removing Sudan from the list of state sponsors of terrorism...~Jerusalem Post
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2017, 10:26 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PNW
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,513
Thanks: 22,404
Thanked 18,921 Times in 13,936 Posts
Default Re: Trump Told Army Widow Her Husband Knew 'What He Signed Up For,' Congresswoman Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by [QUOTE
FrancSevin;912785]What Trump said to the widow is recorded. While it would be insensitive to publish that call perhaps he should.
I agree if there is it should be and I don't know how you know it was recorded.

Quote:
Congresswoman Wilson is a known idiot.
So are you but we are used to it.
Quote:
At best, it is charitable to suggest she exaggerated the President's words, but the bottom line is she lied.
She wasn't the only one who heard it. Did they all lie?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
army, congresswoman, for, her, husband, knew, says, signed, told, trump, what, widow

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0