Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > Open Discussion
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Open Discussion Discuss BLM bails out of San Fran gay pride event because of all the police who were coming at the General Forum; Gays - Good thing the cops are taking extra security measures for our event...especially after the Orlando attack... Black Lives ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-27-2016, 12:00 AM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 53,291
Thanks: 2,074
Thanked 32,997 Times in 19,196 Posts
Default BLM bails out of San Fran gay pride event because of all the police who were coming

Gays - Good thing the cops are taking extra security measures for our event...especially after the Orlando attack...

Black Lives Matter - Cops? We're outta here!...

BLM bails out of San Fran gay pride event because of all the police who were coming

Quote:
Sometimes the irony is too thick to cut with your average kitchen knife.

I’ve frequently wondered why the various single issue groups that make up the coalition which is the Democratic Party don’t fall into internal squabbling more often. Many of them really don’t have much in common beyond a simple, gauzy label of “progressive” to begin with. The anti-gun rights groups, the pro-abortion contingent and the anti-trade people really don’t seem to share much common ground, and yet they frequently work together to elect Democrats to office who generally don’t do much for any of them beyond paying a bit of lip service. But this year there’s been a definite battle brewing between Black Lives Matter and the LGBT community. It came to a head during the final planning stages of the gay pride parade in San Francisco this week. It turns out that BLM was essentially going to boycott the festivities because there were going to be too darned many cops there. (The Guardian)

Quote:
Several of the honorees of San Francisco Pride, the nation’s largest LGBT pride event, withdrew on Friday from the “racial and economic justice” themed parade and festival this weekend in response to the increased policing measures put in place after the Orlando attack.

“For us, celebrating Pride this year meant choosing between the threat of homophobic vigilante violence and the threat of police violence,” said a statement from Black Lives Matter, an organizational grand marshal; Janetta Johnson, a community grand marshal; and sex worker advocacy group St James Infirmary, a “Heritage of Pride” award recipient.

“We had a tough decision to make, and ultimately we chose to keep our people safe by not participating in any event that would leave our communities vulnerable to either.”
So after the shooting in Orlando, which many progressives are still claiming was about anti-gay bias rater than Islamic terrorism, there was going to be a significant police presence just in case some lunatic decided to try to shoot the place up. And Black Lives Matter responded by refusing to attend.
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cnredd For This Useful Post:
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-27-2016, 09:37 AM
MrLiberty's Avatar
professional curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,506
Thanks: 21,953
Thanked 18,609 Times in 11,936 Posts
Default Re: BLM bails out of San Fran gay pride event because of all the police who were comi

Good post redd.
__________________
Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war.

Donald Trump
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-27-2016, 10:00 AM
winston53660's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,223
Thanks: 1,853
Thanked 4,268 Times in 3,194 Posts
Default Re: BLM bails out of San Fran gay pride event because of all the police who were comi

Bureau for Land Management popped into my head before Black Lives Matters did
__________________
Originally Posted by TiredRetired View Post
Damn shame it couldn't have been a father / son event. IMHO.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2016, 02:11 AM
40yearfan's Avatar
Easy Living
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ.
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,970
Thanks: 2,617
Thanked 3,963 Times in 2,718 Posts
Default Re: BLM bails out of San Fran gay pride event because of all the police who were comi

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
Bureau for Land Management popped into my head before Black Lives Matters did
Me too.
__________________
__________________________________________
We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2016, 02:05 PM
dabateman's Avatar
Buckle-up Buttercup
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,121
Thanks: 2,113
Thanked 8,454 Times in 4,955 Posts
Default Re: BLM bails out of San Fran gay pride event because of all the police who were comi

I know I am late to this conversation, but I want to add that I am frustrated...

I have mixed emotions. I fully understand and respect the message BLM is trying to get out even if I do not fully subscribe to the methodology. There are countless cases where it appears police have used excessive and sometimes lethal force against individuals when it may not have been warranted. Additionally, I would assert many of those cases involved a black man being assaulted by the police. We MUST do something about this, but to paint ALL police as the bad guy boggles my mind.

I understand that I have privilege, never having been racially profiled. I understand that this privilege brings a different perspective on law enforcement. I understand that I cannot fully understand what it is like to be on the wrong end of this sort of situation.

However, I do know what it is like to be gay. I do know what it is like to be in a profession that has historically barred homosexuals from entry. I do know what it is like to finally secure rights and I do know what it is like to be proud.

BLM stopped the Toronto Pride Parade until the organizers promised they would not have law enforcement floats in the parade. And again, I get that law enforcement (in the most general terms) has not been super supportive of equality for black people. Hey... they weren't support of equality for gay people either (anyone remember or read about Stonewall?).

To me, it seems overly complicated to tell LGBT law enforcement officers that they cannot or should not march in a parade that shows and celebrates their attainment of legal equality. It also seems a bit problematic to tell general law enforcement "We don't need you." when Orlando had just happened and a guy with a car full of guns was stopped on his way to the LA Pride parade.

:/

I am torn.
__________________
Continue that line of reasoning, Muffin... I'm judging you. Harshly.



You get the respect you give. And if you're a Republican, you b*tch about paybacks being a b*tch. So sorry you're mad your guy is getting the respect you gave ours, Snowflakes.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2016, 02:18 PM
lurch907's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Alaska, the greatest place on earth.
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,602
Thanks: 1,039
Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,712 Posts
Default Re: BLM bails out of San Fran gay pride event because of all the police who were comi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabateman View Post
I do know what it is like to be in a profession that has historically barred homosexuals from entry.
You're a Hooters waitress?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lurch907 For This Useful Post:
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2016, 02:26 PM
dabateman's Avatar
Buckle-up Buttercup
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,121
Thanks: 2,113
Thanked 8,454 Times in 4,955 Posts
Default Re: BLM bails out of San Fran gay pride event because of all the police who were comi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch907 View Post
You're a Hooters waitress?
Anything on the actual content?
__________________
Continue that line of reasoning, Muffin... I'm judging you. Harshly.



You get the respect you give. And if you're a Republican, you b*tch about paybacks being a b*tch. So sorry you're mad your guy is getting the respect you gave ours, Snowflakes.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2016, 03:37 PM
lurch907's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Alaska, the greatest place on earth.
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,602
Thanks: 1,039
Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,712 Posts
Default Re: BLM bails out of San Fran gay pride event because of all the police who were comi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabateman View Post
Anything on the actual content?
Lighten up, dude.

As for the article, in my opinion BLM's message is racist and the organization is run by imbeciles who seem to think cops shouldn't be able to use force to defend themselves against violent people simply because the thug has dark skin. The pride movement would be well served by putting as much distance as possible between themselves and BLM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lurch907 For This Useful Post:
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2016, 04:09 PM
dabateman's Avatar
Buckle-up Buttercup
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,121
Thanks: 2,113
Thanked 8,454 Times in 4,955 Posts
Default Re: BLM bails out of San Fran gay pride event because of all the police who were comi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch907 View Post
Lighten up, dude.
I'm good. I just didn't think it funny. I wish I could have chuckled but it wasn't even a good joke. :/

Quote:
As for the article, in my opinion BLM's message is racist and the organization is run by imbeciles who seem to think cops shouldn't be able to use force to defend themselves against violent people simply because the thug has dark skin. The pride movement would be well served by putting as much distance as possible between themselves and BLM.
Pointing out the high rate of lethal force used by police against black men when lesser force could have/should have been used is racist?
__________________
Continue that line of reasoning, Muffin... I'm judging you. Harshly.



You get the respect you give. And if you're a Republican, you b*tch about paybacks being a b*tch. So sorry you're mad your guy is getting the respect you gave ours, Snowflakes.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2016, 04:16 PM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 16,172
Thanks: 9,176
Thanked 9,765 Times in 5,961 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: BLM bails out of San Fran gay pride event because of all the police who were comi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabateman View Post
I know I am late to this conversation, but I want to add that I am frustrated...

I have mixed emotions. I fully understand and respect the message BLM is trying to get out even if I do not fully subscribe to the methodology. There are countless cases where it appears police have used excessive and sometimes lethal force against individuals when it may not have been warranted. Additionally, I would assert many of those cases involved a black man being assaulted by the police. We MUST do something about this, but to paint ALL police as the bad guy boggles my mind.

I understand that I have privilege, never having been racially profiled. I understand that this privilege brings a different perspective on law enforcement. I understand that I cannot fully understand what it is like to be on the wrong end of this sort of situation.

However, I do know what it is like to be gay. I do know what it is like to be in a profession that has historically barred homosexuals from entry. I do know what it is like to finally secure rights and I do know what it is like to be proud.

BLM stopped the Toronto Pride Parade until the organizers promised they would not have law enforcement floats in the parade. And again, I get that law enforcement (in the most general terms) has not been super supportive of equality for black people. Hey... they weren't support of equality for gay people either (anyone remember or read about Stonewall?).

To me, it seems overly complicated to tell LGBT law enforcement officers that they cannot or should not march in a parade that shows and celebrates their attainment of legal equality. It also seems a bit problematic to tell general law enforcement "We don't need you." when Orlando had just happened and a guy with a car full of guns was stopped on his way to the LA Pride parade.

:/

I am torn.
BLM marches and chants calling for killing police "pigs in a blanket, fry 'em like bacon". No wonder they don't want police participation in gay pride parades, they hate the cops.

Stonewall was nearly 50 years ago, instead of following the BLM model where grievances can never be addressed or progress can never be achieved, the LGBT community ought to follow a path of equality instead of acting like spoiled children refusing to go to another bakery, etc. that welcomes their business.

The guy with guns on the way to the LA gay pride parade is gay himself and was going to support the parade.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
all, bails, because, blm, coming, event, fran, gay, out, police, pride, san, the, were, who

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0