Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > Open Discussion
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Open Discussion Discuss Americans Rate Computer Industry Best, Federal Gov't Worst at the General Forum; Americans Rate Computer Industry Best, Federal Gov't Worst Americans view the computer industry the most positively and the federal government ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-29-2011, 08:10 PM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,438
Thanks: 1,356
Thanked 24,079 Times in 14,843 Posts
Default Americans Rate Computer Industry Best, Federal Gov't Worst

Americans Rate Computer Industry Best, Federal Gov't Worst

Quote:
Americans view the computer industry the most positively and the federal government the least positively when asked to rate 25 business and industry sectors. All five of the top-rated sectors this year are related to either computers or food.


Quote:
Gallup has asked Americans each August since 2001 to indicate whether they have positive or negative views of a list of business and industry sectors. The 2011 update is from Gallup's Aug. 11-14 survey.

The results range from a +62 net positive rating for the computer industry to a -46 net positive rating for the federal government.

The sectors Americans view most negatively have all had well-publicized problems in recent years. The federal government has been near the bottom of the list in previous years, but is at the absolute bottom this year for the first time, displacing the oil and gas industry. Seventeen percent of Americans have a positive view of the federal government -- the lowest of any sector tested this year -- while 63% have a negative image. Only one sector, oil and gas, has a higher negative percentage, 64%. Other poorly ranked sectors include real estate, healthcare, banking, and the legal field.

The positive and the negative ratings for the federal government this year are the worst since Gallup began measuring its image in 2003.
And next week, Obama will call for MORE government intrusion and interference...
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-29-2011, 08:41 PM
WallyWager's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,826
Thanks: 1,129
Thanked 4,082 Times in 2,604 Posts
Default Re: Americans Rate Computer Industry Best, Federal Gov't Worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
Americans Rate Computer Industry Best, Federal Gov't Worst
And next week, Obama will call for MORE government intrusion and interference...

__________________
"Bush tortured people, Obama just kills them."
---Noam Chomsky
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-30-2011, 02:40 PM
sunwestdog's Avatar
Ridin' the short bus
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mizzou
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,715
Thanks: 638
Thanked 1,352 Times in 914 Posts
Default Re: Americans Rate Computer Industry Best, Federal Gov't Worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
Americans Rate Computer Industry Best, Federal Gov't Worst





And next week, Obama will call for MORE government intrusion and interference...
I've been listening to Rush this week. At least now I know where you get all your stories.
__________________
As I grow older, I grow wiser. The wiser I become, the more I understand how little I know. sunwestdog
Life isn't fair. But people should be. sunwestdog
I reject your reality and substitute my own. Adam Savage
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-30-2011, 02:45 PM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,438
Thanks: 1,356
Thanked 24,079 Times in 14,843 Posts
Default Re: Americans Rate Computer Industry Best, Federal Gov't Worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunwestdog View Post
I've been listening to Rush this week. At least now I know where you get all your stories.
first, you don't know me very well if you even believe 2% of that statement...

Second, it's from Gallup...I have a "feeling" that Rush isn't their only media outlet to report on them...
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-30-2011, 06:56 PM
sunwestdog's Avatar
Ridin' the short bus
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mizzou
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,715
Thanks: 638
Thanked 1,352 Times in 914 Posts
Default Re: Americans Rate Computer Industry Best, Federal Gov't Worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
first, you don't know me very well if you even believe 2% of that statement...

Second, it's from Gallup...I have a "feeling" that Rush isn't their only media outlet to report on them...
I'll have to take you at your word. But it just seems pretty coincidental that you post the same stories that Rush talks about on any given day. Not that there would be anything wrong with that. I've just always been curious how you run across so many of the stories that you do. I guess you and Rush could just be surfing the same sort of news sites.
__________________
As I grow older, I grow wiser. The wiser I become, the more I understand how little I know. sunwestdog
Life isn't fair. But people should be. sunwestdog
I reject your reality and substitute my own. Adam Savage
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-31-2011, 04:41 PM
Idealogically Promiscuous's Avatar
It's Obama's Fault
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Francisco, Ca
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,269
Thanks: 3,826
Thanked 6,129 Times in 3,631 Posts
Default Re: Americans Rate Computer Industry Best, Federal Gov't Worst

I think it's really funny that you post a story from Gallup...a very respected pollster...and instead of discussing the story, the usual suspects have to come out with their puerile attempts to silence the discussion by rolling their eyes or trying to force associations with low brow pundits.

Classic ad hom attacks without any substance. Why even bother sticking one's nose into a thread if all you're going to do is show disdain for the topic and the opening poster with such infantile antics?
__________________
Don't make me get my flying monkeys...
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-31-2011, 05:07 PM
sunwestdog's Avatar
Ridin' the short bus
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mizzou
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,715
Thanks: 638
Thanked 1,352 Times in 914 Posts
Default Re: Americans Rate Computer Industry Best, Federal Gov't Worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealogically Promiscuous View Post
I think it's really funny that you post a story from Gallup...a very respected pollster...and instead of discussing the story, the usual suspects have to come out with their puerile attempts to silence the discussion by rolling their eyes or trying to force associations with low brow pundits.

Classic ad hom attacks without any substance. Why even bother sticking one's nose into a thread if all you're going to do is show disdain for the topic and the opening poster with such infantile antics?
Because the poll says nothing surprising or debatable. Sounds about right. If it weren't for a few off topic posts, including yours, there would be no replies at all. If you consider making an observation low brow or showing disdain, that's your choice, but certainly not my intention.
__________________
As I grow older, I grow wiser. The wiser I become, the more I understand how little I know. sunwestdog
Life isn't fair. But people should be. sunwestdog
I reject your reality and substitute my own. Adam Savage
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Idealogically Promiscuous's Avatar
It's Obama's Fault
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Francisco, Ca
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,269
Thanks: 3,826
Thanked 6,129 Times in 3,631 Posts
Default Re: Americans Rate Computer Industry Best, Federal Gov't Worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunwestdog View Post
Because the poll says nothing surprising or debatable. Sounds about right. If it weren't for a few off topic posts, including yours, there would be no replies at all. If you consider making an observation low brow or showing disdain, that's your choice, but certainly not my intention.
I certainly consider to be low brow an open volley of:

Quote:
I've been listening to Rush this week. At least now I know where you get all your stories.
It was just bitchy and uncalled for.
__________________
Don't make me get my flying monkeys...
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-31-2011, 05:19 PM
sunwestdog's Avatar
Ridin' the short bus
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mizzou
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,715
Thanks: 638
Thanked 1,352 Times in 914 Posts
Default Re: Americans Rate Computer Industry Best, Federal Gov't Worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealogically Promiscuous View Post
I certainly consider to be low brow an open volley of:



It was just bitchy and uncalled for.
You view it as that, but that's far from my intent. redd often pastes stories that seem obscure and I've often wondered how he came upon them. I've been listening to Rush this past week and I notice that whatever stories he covers, redd posts. So, I simply post an observation that points out something I've been curious about. Pretty innocent in my mind and intent. But I guess I can see how it might seem otherwise to someone not understanding the background or intention to making such a statement.
__________________
As I grow older, I grow wiser. The wiser I become, the more I understand how little I know. sunwestdog
Life isn't fair. But people should be. sunwestdog
I reject your reality and substitute my own. Adam Savage
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-31-2011, 05:21 PM
Idealogically Promiscuous's Avatar
It's Obama's Fault
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Francisco, Ca
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,269
Thanks: 3,826
Thanked 6,129 Times in 3,631 Posts
Default Re: Americans Rate Computer Industry Best, Federal Gov't Worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunwestdog View Post
You view it as that, but that's far from my intent. redd often pastes stories that seem obscure and I've often wondered how he came upon them. I've been listening to Rush this past week and I notice that whatever stories he covers, redd posts. So, I simply post an observation that points out something I've been curious about. Pretty innocent in my mind and intent. But I guess I can see how it might seem otherwise to someone not understanding the background or intention to making such a statement.
I'll just have to take your word for it. It's been my experience, however, that when one tries to draw an association between someone and Rush Limbaugh, it's never a polite thing.
__________________
Don't make me get my flying monkeys...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
americans, best, computer, federal, govt, industry, rate, worst

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0