Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Discussion > Off-Topic, Bizarre, Jokes & Games
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic, Bizarre, Jokes & Games Discuss Political Cartoon Thread at the General Discussion; Originally Posted by saltwn you do know there are protesters who are not rioting right? And that some so called ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2441 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2020, 06:53 AM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,135
Thanks: 11,173
Thanked 7,281 Times in 4,886 Posts
Default Re: Political Cartoon Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
you do know there are protesters who are not rioting right?
And that some so called leftists are actually some other faction stirring up trouble.
Portland/Vancouver is one of the most laid back peaceful populations I've seen And I've been over there many times w/ my spouse while he went to the V.A.
Yes that's why the meme i posted says specifically "rioters" NOT "protesters".

I support peacefully protesters. weather they be Left or Right.
It's our right.
But rioting by the groups i mentioned, left wing or right wing or official agitators ruin honest protest.
There have been are plenty of peaceful protest. But the media loves car wrecks.
And sadly those who Oppose the subject of the any protest LOOK for reasons to dismiss the honest protesters.


BTW There were protest in my city after the Floyd murder, Peaceful as well.
There was a random attack on a Target store one night, broken storefront window, nowhere near the protest which made all the retailers ONLY look for more for of that the next weeks, but thankfully nothing.
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8

Last edited by mr wonder; 08-04-2020 at 07:00 AM..
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr wonder For This Useful Post:
  #2442 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2020, 06:58 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,354
Thanks: 8,988
Thanked 6,478 Times in 3,709 Posts
Default Re: Political Cartoon Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
Yes that's why the meme i posted says specifically "rioters" NOT "protesters".

I support peacefully protesters. weather they be Left or Right.
It's our right.

But rioting by the groups i mentioned, left wing or right wing or official agitators ruin honest protest.

There have been are plenty of peaceful protest. But the media loves car wrecks
.
And the MSM has mostly ignored the riots or has tried to pass them off as "mostly peaceful protests".

I agree that people have a right to protest. But many are abusing that right and taking things too far.

You have a right to protest but you don't have the right to block traffic and disrupt other people's lives. When protests shut down streets, businesses and highways, they are violating the rights of others. Those actions along with the rioting, looting and burning of buildings and vehicles are NOT protected by the Constitution and those involved should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
  #2443 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2020, 07:11 AM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,135
Thanks: 11,173
Thanked 7,281 Times in 4,886 Posts
Default Re: Political Cartoon Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
And the MSM has mostly ignored the riots or has tried to pass them off as "mostly peaceful protests".

I agree that people have a right to protest. But many are abusing that right and taking things too far.

You have a right to protest but you don't have the right to block traffic and disrupt other people's lives. When protests shut down streets, businesses and highways, they are violating the rights of others. Those actions along with the rioting, looting and burning of buildings and vehicles are NOT protected by the Constitution and those involved should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Blocking streets etc, is a temporary inconvenience to others and IMO part of the price of freedom. No one should be prosecuted for that. At worse they are misdemeanors anyway, like JAYWALKING. Which is a BS offense.
Rioting which is looting and burning of buildings and vehicles and violence against people are crimes. which should be dealt with.


BTW Weren't the "OPEN America" protesters "breaking the laws" as well? By Blocking City Halls and the Streets in various places? should they all have been arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law?
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8

Last edited by mr wonder; 08-04-2020 at 07:18 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #2444 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2020, 07:46 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,354
Thanks: 8,988
Thanked 6,478 Times in 3,709 Posts
Default Re: Political Cartoon Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
Blocking streets etc, is a temporary inconvenience to others and IMO part of the price of freedom. No one should be prosecuted for that. At worse they are misdemeanors anyway, like JAYWALKING. Which is a BS offense.
Rioting which is looting and burning of buildings and vehicles and violence against people are crimes. which should be dealt with.


BTW Weren't the "OPEN America" protesters "breaking the laws" as well? By Blocking City Halls and the Streets in various places? should they all have been arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law?
I disagree with this. Blocking traffic and preventing others from freedom of movement is violating THEIR rights to exercise the supposed rights of the protesters. Protesting does NOT give a person the right to interfere with the rights of others no matter the righteousness of their cause.

While I don't have links to the articles available, there were reports instances where emergency vehicles were prevented from responding to calls or transporting patients due to the blocked streets. What about the rights of the people that were in need of these services? Are they somehow less entitled to their rights than the protesters?

If my loved one was being taken by ambulance to a hospital for emergency treatment and died because of a protest blocking the path, I would sue everyone even remotely associated to that protest and see that they were punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Americans have the right to express their views and grievances to our elected officials. But they don't have the right to interfere with the rights of everyone else in the process. As Oliver Wendell Holmes said, "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins." That is to say, your rights do not supersede the rights of others.

As to the assertion that the Open America protesters were blocking access to city hall and other areas, from what I understand, they were standing on the steps of City Hall and did not block anyone from entering. But if they did, yes they should be held accountable.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #2445 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2020, 10:00 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,354
Thanks: 8,988
Thanked 6,478 Times in 3,709 Posts
Default Re: Political Cartoon Thread

__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
  #2446 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2020, 10:02 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,354
Thanks: 8,988
Thanked 6,478 Times in 3,709 Posts
Default Re: Political Cartoon Thread

__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #2447 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2020, 12:14 PM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,135
Thanks: 11,173
Thanked 7,281 Times in 4,886 Posts
Default Re: Political Cartoon Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
I disagree with this. Blocking traffic and preventing others from freedom of movement is violating THEIR rights to exercise the supposed rights of the protesters. Protesting does NOT give a person the right to interfere with the rights of others no matter the righteousness of their cause.

While I don't have links to the articles available, there were reports instances where emergency vehicles were prevented from responding to calls or transporting patients due to the blocked streets. What about the rights of the people that were in need of these services? Are they somehow less entitled to their rights than the protesters?

If my loved one was being taken by ambulance to a hospital for emergency treatment and died because of a protest blocking the path, I would sue everyone even remotely associated to that protest and see that they were punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Americans have the right to express their views and grievances to our elected officials. But they don't have the right to interfere with the rights of everyone else in the process. As Oliver Wendell Holmes said, "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins." That is to say, your rights do not supersede the rights of others.

As to the assertion that the Open America protesters were blocking access to city hall and other areas, from what I understand, they were standing on the steps of City Hall and did not block anyone from entering. But if they did, yes they should be held accountable.
A punch in the nose is a lot different than a delay getting down the street.
To be a bit technical about it, part of the difference is the distinction between private property and public spaces/public facilities.
Protesters have no right to touch my nose or my property.

But public spaces are just that, public.
And the temporary inconvenience of a delay or a detour might be grating but again IMO it's the price of freedom. Protest in general disrupt the normal course of life/biz. From boycotts to marches to sit ins. Often someone else's "right" to do xyz may be delayed or hindered.

Concerning ambulance services. Any protesters who knowingly hold up an ambulance or fire vehicles are being Scumbags. And should be arrested for that. they are literally unquestionably putting lives in danger.
The level of offense at that point is real.
Its not just an inconvenience.

But concerning the "Open America" protest, in some areas i believe they did block traffic with hundreds of cars, they also broke various lockdown and masking "laws" "edicts" "orders".
Breaking the "law" is part of protest from time to time.
I have to wonder, when they roll out the so-called Covid1984 vaccine and make it mandatory how many people will protest and break that law refusing to take it.

I'm sure fearful vaccine supporters will claim that those who refuse it are putting the lives of there loved ones "in danger" and therefore should be prosecuted to the "full extent of the law".

__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8

Last edited by mr wonder; 08-04-2020 at 12:31 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2448 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2020, 12:48 PM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 20,909
Thanks: 656
Thanked 6,875 Times in 4,931 Posts
Default Re: Political Cartoon Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
you do know there are protesters who are not rioting right?
Real protestors do not hang around mixing with rioting dickheads.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manitou For This Useful Post:
  #2449 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2020, 12:59 PM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,354
Thanks: 8,988
Thanked 6,478 Times in 3,709 Posts
Default Re: Political Cartoon Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
A punch in the nose is a lot different than a delay getting down the street.
To be a bit technical about it, part of the difference is the distinction between private property and public spaces/public facilities.
Protesters have no right to touch my nose or my property.

But public spaces are just that, public.
And the temporary inconvenience of a delay or a detour might be grating but again IMO it's the price of freedom. Protest in general disrupt the normal course of life/biz. From boycotts to marches to sit ins. Often someone else's "right" to do xyz may be delayed or hindered.
Most cities/municipalities will grant permits to protests that allow them to occupy a space or street for their protest with consent of the authorities. If they get a permit to protest, great... let them have at it. But to intentionally occupy spaces for traffic, not a park or a lawn, but a highway, is pushing too far. It is not up to you or me to decide who should or should not be inconvenienced. It is public property and should not be reserved for any one group. There are many other places to protest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
Concerning ambulance services. Any protesters who knowingly hold up an ambulance or fire vehicles are being Scumbags. And should be arrested for that. they are literally unquestionably putting lives in danger.
The level of offense at that point is real.
Its not just an inconvenience.
I completely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
But concerning the "Open America" protest, in some areas i believe they did block traffic with hundreds of cars,
If they did it intentionally by standing in the street and blocking traffic, they too should have been fined/arrested/ticketed whatever. However, simply having so many show up that it caused congestion while they are in their vehicles on a road designed for vehicles, it a far cry different that protesters on foot, standing in the road blocking traffic. Apples and Oranges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
they also broke various lockdown and masking "laws" "edicts" "orders".
Unlawful "orders" from a Governor are a different ballgame. A Governor mandating an order does not make it a law. I openly defy our Governor's "orders" as they are not codified in law. I have yet to have anyone try to enforce it on me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
Breaking the "law" is part of protest from time to time.
Really? Show me where this is backed up in our Constitution. People have the right to peaceably assemble and voice their opinion. However, breaking the law is another story. I don't care what your cause is, unless the law or policy being protested is itself un-Constitutional, there is no excuse for breaking the law. And those that do should be held to account for their actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
I have to wonder, when they roll out the so-called Covid1984 vaccine and make it mandatory how many people will protest and break that law refusing to take it.

I'm sure fearful vaccine supporters will claim that those who refuse it are putting the lives of there loved ones "in danger" and therefore should be prosecuted to the "full extent of the law".
What law says I have to take a vaccine? See my comments above.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
  #2450 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2020, 05:38 PM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,135
Thanks: 11,173
Thanked 7,281 Times in 4,886 Posts
Default Re: Political Cartoon Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
Real protestors do not hang around mixing with rioting dickheads.
If you are a peaceful protester How exactly are you supposed to know if other people that show up on the scene are rioters Manitou?
It's not like the police where they have the name and shoe size every member of the force. so finding and chucking "bad apples" should be relatively simply.

__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cartoon, political, thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0