Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > ObamaCare
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ObamaCare Discuss Obamacare is finally working (and Republicans still want to kill it) at the General Forum; Originally Posted by ShivaTD The PPACA, based overwhelmingly upon conservative and Republican health care proposals from the 1990's, was passed ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2018, 10:18 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 13,232
Thanks: 11,416
Thanked 9,522 Times in 5,873 Posts
Default Re: Obamacare is finally working (and Republicans still want to kill it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
The PPACA, based overwhelmingly upon conservative and Republican health care proposals from the 1990's, was passed in 2010 on purely a purely partisan vote because Republicans had already adopted an "Oppose anything Obama/Democrat" position after passage of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA).
provided examples of what needed to be fixed with the law.
Edit for bulk by me.

Love the lead in.... Not only did a decade plus pass from the time the Republicans proposed some of the actions, they didn't take them any further. Think maybe they realized they wouldn't work???? Do you think that in the years in between, the conditions may have changed????

Sorry, but dragging out what MIGHT have beens and attempting to lay the PPACA on the Republicans just doesn't fly.
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GottaGo For This Useful Post:
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2018, 10:27 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,483
Thanks: 10,158
Thanked 8,352 Times in 4,953 Posts
Default Re: Obamacare is finally working (and Republicans still want to kill it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
Edit for bulk by me.

Love the lead in.... Not only did a decade plus pass from the time the Republicans proposed some of the actions, they didn't take them any further. Think maybe they realized they wouldn't work???? Do you think that in the years in between, the conditions may have changed????

Sorry, but dragging out what MIGHT have beens and attempting to lay the PPACA on the Republicans just doesn't fly.
The argument contradicts itself. On the one hand Obamacare is a brilliant idea that the Republicans dreamed up years ago.

OTOH the reason Ocare isn't working is because Republicans
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimbo For This Useful Post:
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2018, 07:35 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,307
Thanks: 12,601
Thanked 4,545 Times in 2,914 Posts
Default Re: Obamacare is finally working (and Republicans still want to kill it)

Now, let me get this straight.

The fact that enormous premium hikes are (apparently) a thing of the past, proves that ObamaCare is "working"?

Can you say, non sequitur?
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got it…"—George Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pjohns For This Useful Post:
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 10-22-2018, 07:28 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,025
Thanks: 8,518
Thanked 6,048 Times in 3,476 Posts
Default Re: Obamacare is finally working (and Republicans still want to kill it)

As to the title of the thread that finally Obamacare is working, I would have to agree. The purpose of Obamacare was to ingrain the American public with the senseless notion that government run healthcare was a right and a necessity to the country. It was to put in an entitlement that they knew would be almost impossible to remove thereby creating a pathway to the ultimate goal of Single Payer.

This is especially true with the false narrative of insurance companies having to cover "pre-existing conditions" which, as I have stated before, is not insurance but welfare.

With the latest round of political campaigns I would say it has succeeded. I have now begun to see Republicans that no longer argue against these absurd notions, but accept the narrative that covering pre-existing conditions is a requirement of private companies or government agencies. It sickens me that this country has succumbed to this level of stupidity especially when I look at my insurance plan and see that the premiums are now 3 times what they were prior to the ACA and the deductible and out of pocket max is 4-5 times what it was prior.

Sure Obamacare is working, it is doing it's best to bankrupt those of us paying the bills.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 10-22-2018, 09:41 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 13,232
Thanks: 11,416
Thanked 9,522 Times in 5,873 Posts
Default Re: Obamacare is finally working (and Republicans still want to kill it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
As to the title of the thread that finally Obamacare is working, I would have to agree. The purpose of Obamacare was to ingrain the American public with the senseless notion that government run healthcare was a right and a necessity to the country. It was to put in an entitlement that they knew would be almost impossible to remove thereby creating a pathway to the ultimate goal of Single Payer.

This is especially true with the false narrative of insurance companies having to cover "pre-existing conditions" which, as I have stated before, is not insurance but welfare.

With the latest round of political campaigns I would say it has succeeded. I have now begun to see Republicans that no longer argue against these absurd notions, but accept the narrative that covering pre-existing conditions is a requirement of private companies or government agencies. It sickens me that this country has succumbed to this level of stupidity especially when I look at my insurance plan and see that the premiums are now 3 times what they were prior to the ACA and the deductible and out of pocket max is 4-5 times what it was prior.

Sure Obamacare is working, it is doing it's best to bankrupt those of us paying the bills.
Direct, singular subject question: If pre-existing conditions are to be covered, with the insured paying a long term higher premium to alleviate expected costs, would you find allowing pre-existing conditions a more acceptable situation?
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 10-22-2018, 11:02 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,307
Thanks: 12,601
Thanked 4,545 Times in 2,914 Posts
Default Re: Obamacare is finally working (and Republicans still want to kill it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
Republicans did not repeal the individual mandate. They repealed the penalties for non-compliance with the individual mandate.
Can you say distinction without a difference?

To note that only the penalties were repealed is a bit like noting that the law against armed robbery has not been repealed; but the penalties for non-compliance have been repealed.

Do you not suppose that there would be a sharp increase in armed robberies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
Repealing the penalties for the individual mandate was just one more nefarious attempt by Republicans to force Obamacare to fail. It could eventually drive the premiums up, not down, in the future.
Everything attaching to the Republicans is "nefarious," according to you.

It is the broken-record syndrome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
Republicans did not win a majority in the House because of their opposition to Obamacare in 2010. They won a majority in the House because of white backlash against the election of a black president in 2008.
So you are implying that a very large percentage of white people are racist?

(By the way, Barack Obama--sadly--won re-election in 2012; therefore, if so many white people are racist, this is, indeed, very difficult to explain...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
Republicans remain on the opposite end of what most Americans want on so many issues it's hard to keep track.
Well, I suppose that we will see on November 6 if this is correct. (Note: Since it is the midterm election during the president's first term in office, we can expect the Democrats to make inroads in the House. However, the 35-40 seat Democrat majority that was once expected has considerably diminished now. The Democrats will probably still re-take the House--but by a much narrower margin.)

A better indicator may be the Senate. There, Republicans will probably pad their razor-thin 51-49 majority by one or two seats. At least, that is my prediction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
Perhaps someone can explain why the GOP is so consistently opposed to what the American people want for our nation?
Fallacy of the complex question.
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got it…"—George Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pjohns For This Useful Post:
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 10-22-2018, 11:24 AM
Lumara's Avatar
Belly Dance Queen
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Great Smoky Mountains
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,778
Thanks: 4,002
Thanked 3,391 Times in 1,669 Posts
Default Re: Obamacare is finally working (and Republicans still want to kill it)

ShivaTD wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps someone can explain why the GOP is so consistently opposed to what the American people want for our nation?
I don't see it that way at all. Many of us want an end to chain migration, an end to welfare for illegal immigrants, an end to political correctness nonsense, and we want only those who do it legally to come here. We're tired of paying for other countries' defense and want to see personal responsibility restored rather than free welfare given to those who make poor decisions. This is why Trump has so much support. He is also leveling the playing field in regard to international trade and improving our economy. How can anyone be opposed to any of this?
__________________
If I had a dollar for every gender, I would have two dollars.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lumara For This Useful Post:
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 10-22-2018, 11:37 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,025
Thanks: 8,518
Thanked 6,048 Times in 3,476 Posts
Default Re: Obamacare is finally working (and Republicans still want to kill it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
Direct, singular subject question: If pre-existing conditions are to be covered, with the insured paying a long term higher premium to alleviate expected costs, would you find allowing pre-existing conditions a more acceptable situation?
I would have a hard time supporting that. The issue becomes people that refuse to care about their HC until they have a problem and then expect everyone else to pay for it. I keep coming back to the example of a home owner not getting home insurance and then as their house is burning, calling the Ins company and wanting it then.

What I would agree to is that an Ins. company cannot drop you due to a sudden illness.

The problem is that people do not believe they are responsible for their own HC. They believe it is the job of their employer or the government to take care of it for them. That is a big reason why we are in this problem as they have no ownership of their HC and therefore don't care what costs are incurred in the application of any services required.

Perhaps if people were held responsible to actively participate in keeping costs down, we could do more to curb ever increasing costs thereby making it more affordable for all.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 10-22-2018, 11:44 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,025
Thanks: 8,518
Thanked 6,048 Times in 3,476 Posts
Default Re: Obamacare is finally working (and Republicans still want to kill it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post

Perhaps someone can explain why the GOP is so consistently opposed to what the American people want for our nation?
Why do you assume that a majority of Americans want what you want?

But I will say that due to the ACA and dumbing down of the population by the NEA and our "Institutions of Higher Learning" over the past couple of decades, Americans in general have been conditioned to see HC not as a service that they have access to, but I right guaranteed by their election officials.

But just because a large number of people believe a lie does not make it true.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 10-22-2018, 11:45 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,483
Thanks: 10,158
Thanked 8,352 Times in 4,953 Posts
Default Re: Obamacare is finally working (and Republicans still want to kill it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
Direct, singular subject question: If pre-existing conditions are to be covered, with the insured paying a long term higher premium to alleviate expected costs, would you find allowing pre-existing conditions a more acceptable situation?
If covering preexisting conditions is a function of government, which is questionable, then they should be considered a charity/welfare and dealt with as such.

No insurance program can stay solvent if you can sign up while being wheeled in the operating room for a million dollar procedure.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbo For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
and, finally, kill, obamacare, republicans, still, want, working

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0