Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > News & Current Events
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News & Current Events Discuss 'Wall of Vets,' join protests in Portland at the General Forum; Originally Posted by saltwn 'Wall of Vets,' join protests in Portland Duston Obermeyer, a Marine Corps veteran, told the Times ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 07-28-2020, 03:06 PM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,808
Thanks: 10,197
Thanked 13,776 Times in 7,519 Posts
Default Re: 'Wall of Vets,' join protests in Portland

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
'Wall of Vets,' join protests in Portland

Duston Obermeyer, a Marine Corps veteran, told the Times that the veterans were “there to ensure our citizens did not have their right to free speech and their right to protest and right to assemble taken away from them.”



...uh... is all this anonymous uniforms attacking protesters legal?
The founders were very clever in their use of words and punctuations when they wrote the Constitution and it's amendments. Someone should tell this Marine, who should know better,

There is no Constitutionals right to "assemble."

The Constitution reads "right to peacefully assemble."

Vandalism, looting, burning, destruction of property is hardly "peaceful assembly"
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 07-28-2020, 06:25 PM
Mellon_Collie's Avatar
Species 5618
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Eastern Oregon
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,536
Thanks: 1,080
Thanked 1,936 Times in 1,183 Posts
Default Re: 'Wall of Vets,' join protests in Portland

I just love all the BS news spouted by people that don't even live in Oregon let alone Portland. You all make it sound like WW3, and its obvious there is no point in facts when the conspiracy theories and outlandish bloviating have taken over here. So carry on, Ill get some popcorn and watch this comedy show.
__________________
All in all you're just another brick in the wall
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mellon_Collie For This Useful Post:
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 07-28-2020, 08:01 PM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 20,905
Thanks: 655
Thanked 6,872 Times in 4,928 Posts
Default Re: 'Wall of Vets,' join protests in Portland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellon_Collie View Post
I just love all the BS news spouted by people that don't even live in Oregon let alone Portland. You all make it sound like WW3, and its obvious there is no point in facts when the conspiracy theories and outlandish bloviating have taken over here. So carry on, Ill get some popcorn and watch this comedy show.
The comedy show will begin when the dumbasses who run Portland have to clean up the mess the "peaceful assemblers" created.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 07-29-2020, 07:11 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 13,253
Thanks: 11,454
Thanked 9,552 Times in 5,886 Posts
Default Re: 'Wall of Vets,' join protests in Portland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellon_Collie View Post
I just love all the BS news spouted by people that don't even live in Oregon let alone Portland. You all make it sound like WW3, and its obvious there is no point in facts when the conspiracy theories and outlandish bloviating have taken over here. So carry on, Ill get some popcorn and watch this comedy show.
In this modern day and age of sliced bread, many people with cell phones that have cameras, social media platforms and wanting their 15 minutes of fame, are happy to share events that happen miles and countries away.

This is no different.

I have family in both Seattle and Portland. Oh, and Vashon Island. Our family zoom meetings have been informative.
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GottaGo For This Useful Post:
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 07-29-2020, 07:19 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,354
Thanks: 8,988
Thanked 6,470 Times in 3,705 Posts
Default Re: 'Wall of Vets,' join protests in Portland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellon_Collie View Post
I just love all the BS news spouted by people that don't even live in Oregon let alone Portland. You all make it sound like WW3, and its obvious there is no point in facts when the conspiracy theories and outlandish bloviating have taken over here. So carry on, Ill get some popcorn and watch this comedy show.
You sound like Congressman Nadler claiming that all of the violent and destructive "protests" are a myth only perpetuated in Washington DC. When I hear things like this, it reminds me of the line "Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?"
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 07-29-2020, 08:23 AM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 18,626
Thanks: 12,057
Thanked 12,956 Times in 7,585 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: 'Wall of Vets,' join protests in Portland

The simple fact is that Federal Marshall's and protective services personnel are deployed defensively to protect the Federal courthouse and 2 other Federal buildings in downtown Portland. They wouldn't be there at all if the state and local authorities had the fortitude to deal effectively with the violent Leftist mob they allow to rule the streets with impunity. This new Democrat militia, reminiscent of the factions that destroyed Beirut in the 80's, can only practice their violent fascist tactics thanks to the connivance and support of the Democrat party leadership.

As AG Barr pointed out yesterday in amazement this support for a lawless, violent mob by a major political party is unprecedented in modern times. Democrat politicians are content to ignore the lessons of history's inevitable pattern of the mob turning on its sponsors with an insatiable need to find a villian to target its rage. Their hatred for President Trump blinds them to the consequences of burning down the village to save it.
__________________
What is a 30 something year old single man with a rock in one hand and a Honduran flag in the other?

An asylum seeker.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZRWinger For This Useful Post:
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2020, 09:19 PM
Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: near a california beach
Posts: 1,427
Thanks: 477
Thanked 720 Times in 535 Posts
Default Re: 'Wall of Vets,' join protests in Portland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeerleader View Post
The left, because of the utter vapidness of their positions, always feels the need for human shields, proxies to push policy who are immune from criticism unless one is willing to suffer demonization. The "moms" and the "veterans" are just the current proxies in the image of the Sandy Hook families.

It is a despicable practice but it is effective when so many stupid people buy so deeply into it (with a full court propaganda press by the DEMedia). The hangers-on (like the OP) put up the "veterans" as unimpeachable because no challenge to the leftist policy is accepted because the proxy has venerable status.
'The left always has the need for human shields' and on and on you say. Any links to prove this or is this just something you heard from rush or hannity or down at the local gin mill?
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 08-01-2020, 10:13 AM
Jeerleader's Avatar
Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Upper Bucks County, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,363
Thanks: 1,220
Thanked 1,975 Times in 901 Posts
Default Re: 'Wall of Vets,' join protests in Portland

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryr View Post
'The left always has the need for human shields' and on and on you say. Any links to prove this or is this just something you heard from rush or hannity or down at the local gin mill?
It is a phenomenon that is obvious to anyone who examines how the left pushes various components of their agenda. This is actuated whenever the left pushes a high-stakes public policy that they can't sustain a direct, reason-based, fact-based challenge on. It is a mode of defense of the indefensible that operates totally on a superficial, emotional level, e.g., "HANDS UP, DON'T SHOOT!"

For the most blatant (and despicable) example, I noted the Sandy Hook families being shoved to the front as the face of the gun control policies being promoted -- I call them the "proxy policy presenters".

No challenge of the policy is allowed because it is instantly condemned as an attack on the victim who is presenting the policy, or as I said, a human shield. No true debate of the policy on factual / legal /constitutional grounds is even acknowledged because the policy is awarded instant legitimacy because of the pain of the victim testimony for the policy . . . As I said, a despicable tactic, especially in a nation where full and open debate of public policy is a cornerstone.

In this case we have "Vets" and "Moms" being the human shields, propped-up as this honorable, unimpeachable, legitimizing face of the violent rioters who are attacking the federal courthouse (as a proxy for America as a whole).

Everything with the left is emotional misdirection, misrepresentation and attack by proxy.
__________________
You can’t truly call yourself “peaceful” unless you are capable of great violence.
If you are incapable of violence, you are not peaceful, you are just harmless.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeerleader For This Useful Post:
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 08-01-2020, 09:51 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 83,292
Thanks: 56,006
Thanked 26,469 Times in 18,963 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: 'Wall of Vets,' join protests in Portland

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
The founders were very clever in their use of words and punctuations when they wrote the Constitution and it's amendments. Someone should tell this Marine, who should know better,

There is no Constitutionals right to "assemble."

The Constitution reads "right to peacefully assemble."

Vandalism, looting, burning, destruction of property is hardly "peaceful assembly"
this guy wasn't doing any of that.
what say you now?
quick make up something.
__________________
Khartoum has been facing heavy pressure and “blackmail” from the US administration to normalize relations with Israel in return for removing Sudan from the list of state sponsors of terrorism...~Jerusalem Post
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 08-02-2020, 02:46 PM
Jeerleader's Avatar
Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Upper Bucks County, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,363
Thanks: 1,220
Thanked 1,975 Times in 901 Posts
Default Re: 'Wall of Vets,' join protests in Portland

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
this guy wasn't doing any of that.
what say you now?
quick make up something.
Look up "unlawful assembly" and "ignoring lawful order".

The peckerwood was in an area being cleared and being where he wasn't allowed to be. He was told to turn around and move away and instead he stood there trying to debate with the cop. On what world does this guy get a pass to approach and discuss the finer points of crowd control with cops controlling a crowd?

Look, when a "clear this area" call is made, anyone who doesn't clear gets cleared. The cops don't undertake a determination just for an individual "protester", making generous assumptions about this particular goofball's intent; 'oh this guy looks like an OK guy, I'll let him hang around, mill about and distract us, maybe letting him flank us . . . There's no way that ever turns out bad'.

Join the real world will ya?

.
__________________
You can’t truly call yourself “peaceful” unless you are capable of great violence.
If you are incapable of violence, you are not peaceful, you are just harmless.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeerleader For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
join, portland, protests, vets, wall

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0