Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > News & Current Events
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News & Current Events Discuss Hospitals Threatened to Fire Nurses for Wearing Their Own Mask at the General Forum; Look, maybe i'm looking at this wrong but to me. this is a bit of a M.A.S.H. situation. it's emergency ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2020, 11:50 AM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,218
Thanks: 11,221
Thanked 7,365 Times in 4,934 Posts
Default Re: Hospitals Threatened to Fire Nurses for Wearing Their Own Mask

Look, maybe i'm looking at this wrong but to me. this is a bit of a M.A.S.H. situation. it's emergency time. If hospital staff are trying to stop the bleeding and they have sterile gloves and tools to get it done great if they don't then they may have use their bare hands and someones shirt. But if a nurse walks in with a box of sterile gloves that they always use and the Hospital admin say don't use them because the hospital didn't buy them, I think that's crazy.

Consistency in using bare hands and people's shirts makes no sense.
The fact that the gov't recommended bare hands and shirts doesn't make it ok to ignore the better alternative available.
Saving lives and protecting med workers using the best available options in a crisis is most important.

period.
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2020, 01:08 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,591
Thanks: 10,302
Thanked 8,457 Times in 5,019 Posts
Default Re: Hospitals Threatened to Fire Nurses for Wearing Their Own Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
seriously?
there's a huge difference in the letting the nurses decide on the treatment for each if their cases. c'mon.
jimbo remember, the mask are already recommended universally.
the problem is a shortage, not whether or not they should or shouldn't be used medically. If the hospital could get the SAME mask they'd issue them to the staff... and they already had, but they ran out so they went to plan B. It's not just some personal preference.
Consistency is important. But protecting as many staff as possible with the best equipment available is more important.
No not seriously. I thought scotch thing might give it away.

But: "That is not our policy. We provide the appropriate medical-grade protective equipment for the protocols and level of patient care being provided. We cannot assure the integrity of protective equipment not provided by Kaiser Permanente," Without hiring a full time mask inspector and setting up a testing lab, the hospital has no way of knowing whether the mask brought from home complies.

In addition, the lawsuit threat is real. If just one mask is found to not comply, then any middle class ambulance chaser can turn this into a 6 figure settlement. I'd also guess that the liability insurance provider would not cover nurse provided equipment.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimbo For This Useful Post:
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2020, 01:15 PM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,218
Thanks: 11,221
Thanked 7,365 Times in 4,934 Posts
Default Re: Hospitals Threatened to Fire Nurses for Wearing Their Own Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
No not seriously. I thought scotch thing might give it away.

But: "That is not our policy. We provide the appropriate medical-grade protective equipment for the protocols and level of patient care being provided. We cannot assure the integrity of protective equipment not provided by Kaiser Permanente," Without hiring a full time mask inspector and setting up a testing lab, the hospital has no way of knowing whether the mask brought from home complies.

In addition, the lawsuit threat is real. If just one mask is found to not comply, then any middle class ambulance chaser can turn this into a 6 figure settlement. I'd also guess that the liability insurance provider would not cover nurse provided equipment.
Who said the lawsuit threat isn't real?
The question is whether it's the most important threat on the table right now jimbo.

Seems to me it's not, but for bean counters and those that might be concerned about unions and nurses taking over i guess it is.
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2020, 01:21 PM
Scholar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,867
Thanks: 385
Thanked 2,175 Times in 1,294 Posts
Default Re: Hospitals Threatened to Fire Nurses for Wearing Their Own Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
Who said the lawsuit threat isn't real?
The question is whether it's the most important threat on the table right now jimbo.

Seems to me it's not, but for bean counters and those that might be concerned about unions and nurses taking over i guess it is.
The lawsuit threat is indeed real. People whine and complain now about medical care costs, and lawsuits, and the necessary insurance, are a prime contributor.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loboloco For This Useful Post:
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2020, 01:40 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,591
Thanks: 10,302
Thanked 8,457 Times in 5,019 Posts
Default Re: Hospitals Threatened to Fire Nurses for Wearing Their Own Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
Who said the lawsuit threat isn't real?
The question is whether it's the most important threat on the table right now jimbo.

Seems to me it's not, but for bean counters and those that might be concerned about unions and nurses taking over i guess it is.
It's not. The real issues are finding a solution and minimizing the spread.

With the home sourced masks or other equipment the latter is the issue.

Best to provide approved equipment originated from approved sources and remaining on premises. Neither which can be guaranteed with home provided equipment.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbo For This Useful Post:
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2020, 02:33 PM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,218
Thanks: 11,221
Thanked 7,365 Times in 4,934 Posts
Default Re: Hospitals Threatened to Fire Nurses for Wearing Their Own Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by loboloco View Post
The lawsuit threat is indeed real. People whine and complain now about medical care costs, and lawsuits, and the necessary insurance, are a prime contributor.
People whine and complain when they get sick becasue the medical staff didn't have the proper mask too, but as long as the hospital is covered from lawsuit from it, it's A-oK I guess.
Because hospital cost will just stay at the currently unpayably high levels.


The nurses are using the same approved equipment mask the hospitals are trying to buy.
And the threat of communicating the virus to more people is more of a threat than lawsuits at this point. It's not a hard choice to make. The current daily threat of many lives needlessly lost verses the "possible" loss of some money.

But i guess you and others disagree.
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2020, 02:54 PM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,218
Thanks: 11,221
Thanked 7,365 Times in 4,934 Posts
Default Re: Hospitals Threatened to Fire Nurses for Wearing Their Own Mask

By way of compromise... here's something else that could be considered.
i suspect that each of the hospitals has purchasing office for med supplies, AND/OR that the various government agencies have people who could be on the grounds of hospitals treating the virus who could ---at the hospital door--- confirm the status of the mask.
ONE desk with 2 people checking donated or self purchased medical items are on the "approved list" could cover their legal hindquarters as well as facilitated the best medical practices.

It's go time and throwing layers of butt-covering bureaucratic legalese in front of keeping the sparse medical professionals and public healthly makes no sense.
Approve if you feel you must, but don't block known best medical practices.
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2020, 03:04 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,591
Thanks: 10,302
Thanked 8,457 Times in 5,019 Posts
Default Re: Hospitals Threatened to Fire Nurses for Wearing Their Own Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
People whine and complain when they get sick becasue the medical staff didn't have the proper mask too, but as long as the hospital is covered from lawsuit from it, it's A-oK I guess.
Because hospital cost will just stay at the currently unpayably high levels.


The nurses are using the same approved equipment mask the hospitals are trying to buy.
And the threat of communicating the virus to more people is more of a threat than lawsuits at this point. It's not a hard choice to make. The current daily threat of many lives needlessly lost verses the "possible" loss of some money.

But i guess you and others disagree.
You don't know that. For all I know, those masks brought from home are the ones grabbed months ago while the grabbing was good. Tossed on a shelf for use when mowing the lawn. Now mommy puts a couple in her purse and goes to work. Stopping at the 7-11 for a coffee. Is that what you think is corona free?
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimbo For This Useful Post:
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2020, 03:39 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,591
Thanks: 10,302
Thanked 8,457 Times in 5,019 Posts
Default Re: Hospitals Threatened to Fire Nurses for Wearing Their Own Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
By way of compromise... here's something else that could be considered.
i suspect that each of the hospitals has purchasing office for med supplies, AND/OR that the various government agencies have people who could be on the grounds of hospitals treating the virus who could ---at the hospital door--- confirm the status of the mask.
ONE desk with 2 people checking donated or self purchased medical items are on the "approved list" could cover their legal hindquarters as well as facilitated the best medical practices.

It's go time and throwing layers of butt-covering bureaucratic legalese in front of keeping the sparse medical professionals and public healthly makes no sense.
Approve if you feel you must, but don't block known best medical practices.
It's not just the source. It's also the handling.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2020, 04:01 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 83,595
Thanks: 56,092
Thanked 26,489 Times in 18,981 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Hospitals Threatened to Fire Nurses for Wearing Their Own Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
I see the sanity. Like any other group, if you ask a group of nurses what's best, you'll get 12 differing opinions. One of which will be red bandannas soaked in scotch.

Consistency is important. It's no different than letting each nurse decide on the treatment for each if their cases.
except...there are standards and procedures for nurses dictated by a licensing committee and learned in school. there's a book if you want to look up anything.
nursing was originally based on army and church practices for adhering to protocol. So look up the standards and practices for nursing a patient with an unknown contagious virus and you'll have your answer.
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saltwn For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
fire, for, hospitals, mask, nurses, own, their, threatened, wearing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0