Political Wrinkles

Political Wrinkles (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/)
-   News & Current Events (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/news-current-events/)
-   -   Reparations for Slavery (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/news-current-events/57661-reparations-slavery.html)

GottaGo 06-21-2019 12:41 PM

Re: Reparations for Slavery
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dog Man (Post 971587)
From Harlem I see. :reporter:wow

And an ancestor owned part of Central Park, too. Ya wanna step out back and make sumptin' of it???? :catapult :nahnah

jamesrage 06-22-2019 05:14 AM

Re: Reparations for Slavery
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dog Man (Post 971548)
I'm curious as to how they are going to collect the money. Shouldn't they take the money from the descendants of the slave owners?

My great great grandfather was in the union army, and none of us ever even lived in the south. Should we have to pay?

My biggest question is, will this be good for black America? Or will it create a volatile divide?

Assuming the democrats were nutty enough to give money to people who in their entire lives were never slaves. They would steal it from all the tax payers. There would be no discussion on who exactly would pay.

If anyone living today can prove they were a slave then they should get compensation from the person or persons alive today who held them against their to do unpaid labor. However the only people who probably meet that criteria are probably certain sex trade workers, sweat shop workers and some of the victims of terrorists.

Just because someone's ancestors were wronged a hundred plus years doesn't entitled them to anything. The people pushing for reparations should be ashamed of themselves for trying to con the American tax payer out of their money for something they and the tax payer had no part in.

ShivaTD 06-22-2019 10:59 AM

Re: Reparations for Slavery
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dog Man (Post 971548)
I'm curious as to how they are going to collect the money. Shouldn't they take the money from the descendants of the slave owners?

My great great grandfather was in the union army, and none of us ever even lived in the south. Should we have to pay?

My biggest question is, will this be good for black America? Or will it create a volatile divide?

While it's referred to as reparations for slavery it is, in fact, reparations for the oppression of blacks in America that started with slavery. The oppression has been against all blacks since the ending of slavery 150 years ago.

I found the following from the National Review a rather compelling point from a Republican perspective.

Quote:

Mostly, the Republican party has since Thaddeus Stevens’s departure from the political scene endeavored to identify a date or an episode at which point it might declare the issue of African Americans’ social and political status concluded and return to its preferred full-time agenda of cutting taxes. But the question is far from concluded.
Thaddeus Stevens was, of course, one of the most radical anti-slavery Republicans in Congress leading up to, during, and in the aftermath of the Civil War. He was ahead of Lincoln in demanding freedom for the slaves and seeking equality for them.

There is obviously an episode or point at which the Republican Party can declare the end of the issue of African-American social, political, and economic oppression at an end. That's when we can statistically document the end of the political, social, and economic oppression has ended. There are obviously metrics that can be used to measure the oppression.

When anti-black prejudice reaches a point of irrelevance. The least prejudiced of all political groups are Democrats where a 2012 survey found that only 32% of Democrats expressed explicit anti-black prejudice. 32% isn't necessarily a good number but it's twice as good as the Republicans where 79% expressed anti-black explicit prejudice. Democrats can't change the anti-black prejudice of Republicans. Only Republicans can to that so the Republican Party needs to take on that task and at least get it close to the level of Democrats.

When black unemployment statistics are on a parity with white unemployment statistics. Black unemployment statistics have historically been double the percentage of white unemployment statistics. When there's no notable difference then we know we've addressed a key issue that results in economic discrimination.

When black household wealth is relatively equal to white house household wealth. Currently the median household wealth of a white family is about $170,000 while the black household wealth is basically 1/10th of that at $17,000.

When wages and compensation for blacks is indistinguishable from the wages and compensation for whites.

When black employment the top categories of power and income such as doctors, corporate executives, political representation, etc. is roughly equal to pre capita representation.

When the power of White Nationalism no longer exists in our political, social, or economic institutions.

These are all measurable criteria and all of them need to be met before Republicans can claim the issue of oppression of African-Americans is resolved.

Reparations do not end the oppression anymore than welfare assistance didn't end the poverty that necessitated the assistance. All reparations do, like welfare assistance, is to mitigate the effects of the problem. Mitigating the effects is of huge importance until the actual problem can be resolved.

We can end the "welfare" mitigation by ending poverty.
We can end the proposed "reparation" mitigation by ending the oppression.

ShivaTD 06-22-2019 11:12 AM

Re: Reparations for Slavery
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesrage (Post 971668)
Assuming the democrats were nutty enough to give money to people who in their entire lives were never slaves. They would steal it from all the tax payers.

Mitigating the effects of racial oppression, that have affected every black person alive today, doesn't necessarily have to come from all taxpayers.

Historically we've had tax rates of up to 90% on the income of the super-wealthy many or which already have more wealth than they can spend on their luxurious lifestyles over the next 1,000 years. We're talking about people that have incomes that they'll never use, ever!

If we apply the theory of "supply-side economics" (not trickle-down economics) and the Laffer Curve to the issue you reduce (local, state, and federal) taxes on those that spend their income on commodities and services and increase the taxes on those that don't spend their income on commodities and services. That means "tax the super-wealthy" and cut taxes on the bottom 90% of American households.

Manitou 06-22-2019 11:55 AM

Re: Reparations for Slavery
 
Posts 23 and 24 above are full of crap, and now I'm going to have to watch a Rick Roll'd video for an hour to get that crap out of my brain.

There is no way in Hell that anybody owes any race or nationality any reparations money, and there never will be, until a former slave and a former slave owner are found, and a hearing is held for the terms of the reparations between the two of them only.

All you pro-reparations people, with all due respect and for your health, give yourselves a prune enema.

GottaGo 06-22-2019 05:03 PM

Re: Reparations for Slavery
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShivaTD (Post 971683)
While it's referred to as reparations for slavery it is, in fact, reparations for the oppression of blacks in America that started with slavery. The oppression has been against all blacks since the ending of slavery 150 years ago.

I found the following from the National Review a rather compelling point from a Republican perspective.



Thaddeus Stevens was, of course, one of the most radical anti-slavery Republicans in Congress leading up to, during, and in the aftermath of the Civil War. He was ahead of Lincoln in demanding freedom for the slaves and seeking equality for them.

There is obviously an episode or point at which the Republican Party can declare the end of the issue of African-American social, political, and economic oppression at an end. That's when we can statistically document the end of the political, social, and economic oppression has ended. There are obviously metrics that can be used to measure the oppression.

When anti-black prejudice reaches a point of irrelevance. The least prejudiced of all political groups are Democrats where a 2012 survey found that only 32% of Democrats expressed explicit anti-black prejudice. 32% isn't necessarily a good number but it's twice as good as the Republicans where 79% expressed anti-black explicit prejudice. Democrats can't change the anti-black prejudice of Republicans. Only Republicans can to that so the Republican Party needs to take on that task and at least get it close to the level of Democrats.

When black unemployment statistics are on a parity with white unemployment statistics. Black unemployment statistics have historically been double the percentage of white unemployment statistics. When there's no notable difference then we know we've addressed a key issue that results in economic discrimination.

When black household wealth is relatively equal to white house household wealth. Currently the median household wealth of a white family is about $170,000 while the black household wealth is basically 1/10th of that at $17,000.

When wages and compensation for blacks is indistinguishable from the wages and compensation for whites.

When black employment the top categories of power and income such as doctors, corporate executives, political representation, etc. is roughly equal to pre capita representation.

When the power of White Nationalism no longer exists in our political, social, or economic institutions.

These are all measurable criteria and all of them need to be met before Republicans can claim the issue of oppression of African-Americans is resolved.

Reparations do not end the oppression anymore than welfare assistance didn't end the poverty that necessitated the assistance. All reparations do, like welfare assistance, is to mitigate the effects of the problem. Mitigating the effects is of huge importance until the actual problem can be resolved.

We can end the "welfare" mitigation by ending poverty.
We can end the proposed "reparation" mitigation by ending the oppression.

So they have expanded the goal posts to include blacks alive today who supposedly oppressed by the very party that are trying to fleece everybody, because they can?

So we will also be paying women for being oppressed and mistreated for a couple of centuries too?

Do you not see the absurdity to this train of thinking??????

FrancSevin 06-22-2019 05:21 PM

Re: Reparations for Slavery
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GottaGo (Post 971711)
So they have expanded the goal posts to include blacks alive today who supposedly oppressed by the very party that are trying to fleece everybody, because they can?

So we will also be paying women for being oppressed and mistreated for a couple of centuries too?

Do you not see the absurdity to this train of thinking??????

No, he doesn't. Here is another absurdity. Slavery was legalfor60 plus years in the USA. Slave were considered "property" Right or wrong the USA government agreed to it as part of our founding.
England free the slaves of it's colonies by decree and paid the slave owners reparations for their "property." We freed them by decree in the belligerent states of the South with whom we were at war. No reparations were paid for the conversion of "property" to citizen.

In fact no slave was made a citizen for some time after the war when all slaves, in all states, were emancipated by law.

Should not the descendants of some, if not all, of those owners be compensated?

GottaGo 06-22-2019 05:25 PM

Re: Reparations for Slavery
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrancSevin (Post 971714)
No, he doesn't. Here is another absurdity. Slavery was legalfor60 plus years in the USA. Slave were considered "property" Right or wrong the USA government agreed to it as part of our founding.
England free the slaves of it's colonies by decree and paid the slave owners reparations for their "property." We freed them by decree in the belligerent states of the South with whom we were at war. No reparations were paid for the conversion of "property" to citizen.

In fact no slave was made a citizen for some time after the war when all slaves, in all states, were emancipated by law.

Should not the descendants of some, if not all, of those owners be compensated?

Technically, you would be correct. Morally by today's standard, you already know the answer.....

jamesrage 06-22-2019 07:11 PM

Re: Reparations for Slavery
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShivaTD (Post 971684)
Mitigating the effects of racial oppression, that have affected every black person alive today, doesn't necessarily have to come from all taxpayers.

Historically we've had tax rates of up to 90% on the income of the super-wealthy many or which already have more wealth than they can spend on their luxurious lifestyles over the next 1,000 years. We're talking about people that have incomes that they'll never use, ever!

If we apply the theory of "supply-side economics" (not trickle-down economics) and the Laffer Curve to the issue you reduce (local, state, and federal) taxes on those that spend their income on commodities and services and increase the taxes on those that don't spend their income on commodities and services. That means "tax the super-wealthy" and cut taxes on the bottom 90% of American households.

Another commie/socialist piece of **** fleece the wealthy scam? That seems to be the goal of socialist scumbags, fleece the wealthy to pay for everything they want. Want free college, fleece the wealthy. Want free medical care, fleece the wealthy. Want a free home, fleece the wealthy. Want reparations, fleece the wealthy. So no. I don't give **** where the money comes from. People alive today who were never slaves shouldn't get money just because their ancestors over a 150 years ago were.Giving money and other benefits doesn't mitigate racial oppression. Making sure racist are not in power and the police force will mitigate the effects of racial oppression.When I say racist I am not taking about the liberal term for racists which to a liberal in means anyone opposed to illegal immigration, a republican and so on.

jimbo 06-22-2019 07:25 PM

Re: Reparations for Slavery
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrancSevin (Post 971714)
No, he doesn't. Here is another absurdity. Slavery was legalfor60 plus years in the USA. Slave were considered "property" Right or wrong the USA government agreed to it as part of our founding.
England free the slaves of it's colonies by decree and paid the slave owners reparations for their "property." We freed them by decree in the belligerent states of the South with whom we were at war. No reparations were paid for the conversion of "property" to citizen.

In fact no slave was made a citizen for some time after the war when all slaves, in all states, were emancipated by law.

Should not the descendants of some, if not all, of those owners be compensated?

Lincoln promised the slave owners payment for their property. $200 per if I remember. Johnson promptly rescinded that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0