Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > News & Current Events
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News & Current Events Discuss Notre Dame at the General Forum; If there is already a thread, please merge. My thoughts at first were disbelief that a structure that had made ...

Reply
 
LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2019, 03:07 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 80,459
Thanks: 55,184
Thanked 26,160 Times in 18,698 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Unhappy Notre Dame

If there is already a thread, please merge.

My thoughts at first were disbelief that a structure that had made it through an occupation and bombings was being so heavily damaged. I expected it to finish off like a mobile home due to all the wood framing.
Miraculously the copper statues decorating the spire were saved because just days earlier they had been removed for renovation.
Not only was this a great testament to the faith but such a great work of art in itself also housing great works of art. I wonder if it was a sketch artist/painter who first noticed the fire. People from around the world journey to France to paint Paris. The number one attraction for all visitors is the cathedral, the Eiffel Tower is second.
Feel free to post news and updates about the fire and possible renovation. I think it was built over a 150-200 year span?

At least there were zero casualties and only two (?) respondents were injured.
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saltwn For This Useful Post:
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2019, 03:24 PM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 12,594
Thanks: 10,447
Thanked 8,659 Times in 5,454 Posts
Default Re: Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
If there is already a thread, please merge.

My thoughts at first were disbelief that a structure that had made it through an occupation and bombings was being so heavily damaged. I expected it to finish off like a mobile home due to all the wood framing.
Miraculously the copper statues decorating the spire were saved because just days earlier they had been removed for renovation.
Not only was this a great testament to the faith but such a great work of art in itself also housing great works of art. I wonder if it was a sketch artist/painter who first noticed the fire. People from around the world journey to France to paint Paris. The number one attraction for all visitors is the cathedral, the Eiffel Tower is second.
Feel free to post news and updates about the fire and possible renovation. I think it was built over a 150-200 year span?

At least there were zero casualties and only two (?) respondents were injured.
I believe the actual build period was 300+ years. It has been around for 850 years I believe.

The most miraculous thing, a couple of years ago, a company used some sort of 3D imagining set up and have a capability of rendering it to be used for recreating it. I'm techno challenged, but it sounds like they truly may have a chance to rebuild it just as it was (without the beauty of age).

What a sad, sad loss. Thankfully the Rose windows were saved also. It is fortunate a lot of the statuary and priceless objects had been re3moved during the renovation.

Absolute answers on cause are still in the works, but they are leaning towards accidental....
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GottaGo For This Useful Post:
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2019, 03:59 PM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,854
Thanks: 424
Thanked 6,164 Times in 4,457 Posts
Default Re: Notre Dame

Visitors will have to accept the renovation, and it will then become a part of the history of the cathedral. Reminds me of the Alamo, almost completely redone and modified, and people still accept it as a shrine, and flock to see it. Nothing to say regarding this, except I don't understand why there was no contingency during the re-modeling, in case of, say, a fire. I smell incompetency and a "give-a-shlt" careless work attitude in the company in charge of the job, and the remodeling planner.

My two cents' worth.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manitou For This Useful Post:
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2019, 04:24 PM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,397
Thanks: 4,674
Thanked 5,246 Times in 3,634 Posts
Default Re: Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
Visitors will have to accept the renovation, and it will then become a part of the history of the cathedral. Reminds me of the Alamo, almost completely redone and modified, and people still accept it as a shrine, and flock to see it. Nothing to say regarding this, except I don't understand why there was no contingency during the re-modeling, in case of, say, a fire. I smell incompetency and a "give-a-shlt" careless work attitude in the company in charge of the job, and the remodeling planner.

My two cents' worth.
At least that! 35 years in construction and remodeling, and I have never encountered that kind of incompetency, even in low end construction projects.
Something this high profile, sacred, and old........It just does not compute.

It will probably be blamed on some apprentice, soldering copper pipe, with a torch, and he was not trained to use a fire extinguisher.

Or maybe in Europe they are not required to even have fire extinguishers on construction sites.
__________________
Quote:" If Trump is re-elected in 2020, we might as well burn this country to the ground"

Constant Slothrup

Last edited by Dog Man; 04-16-2019 at 04:29 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2019, 05:22 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,945
Thanks: 9,508
Thanked 7,749 Times in 4,650 Posts
Default Re: Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Man View Post
At least that! 35 years in construction and remodeling, and I have never encountered that kind of incompetency, even in low end construction projects.
Something this high profile, sacred, and old........It just does not compute.

It will probably be blamed on some apprentice, soldering copper pipe, with a torch, and he was not trained to use a fire extinguisher.

Or maybe in Europe they are not required to even have fire extinguishers on construction sites.
Last article I heard the fire was confined to the roof, the building is rebuildable, and most if not all the priceless artifacts were either saved or repairable. So there is some good news. A few major French corporations have stepped forward with hundreds of millions of dollars in rebuild money.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jimbo For This Useful Post:
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2019, 11:06 PM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 54,485
Thanks: 2,171
Thanked 34,322 Times in 19,846 Posts
Default Re: Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
Last article I heard the fire was confined to the roof, the building is rebuildable, and most if not all the priceless artifacts were either saved or repairable. So there is some good news. A few major French corporations have stepped forward with hundreds of millions of dollars in rebuild money.
French billionaires, companies pledge over $700 million to rebuild Notre Dame

I just pray it's done right instead of politicos and construction companies bloating the price for greed...
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cnredd For This Useful Post:
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2019, 09:36 AM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,397
Thanks: 4,674
Thanked 5,246 Times in 3,634 Posts
Default Re: Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
French billionaires, companies pledge over $700 million to rebuild Notre Dame

I just pray it's done right instead of politicos and construction companies bloating the price for greed...
700 million should be more than enough.
__________________
Quote:" If Trump is re-elected in 2020, we might as well burn this country to the ground"

Constant Slothrup
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2019, 10:17 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,082
Thanks: 5,812
Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,170 Posts
Default Re: Notre Dame

I heard that they are estimating that the reconstruction costs could exceed $5 Billion. Also heard that they think that the fire may have been started by a short in a service elevator used by the construction company to access the spire.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2019, 10:32 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 12,594
Thanks: 10,447
Thanked 8,659 Times in 5,454 Posts
Default Re: Notre Dame

And the conspiracy theorists are hard at it, video of someone 'moments' before the fire broke out walking down a hallway. Of course wearing what looked like a keffiyeh.

Me, I'll wait to see what the professionals have to say, then apply Occam's Razor....
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2019, 10:41 AM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,397
Thanks: 4,674
Thanked 5,246 Times in 3,634 Posts
Default Re: Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
I heard that they are estimating that the reconstruction costs could exceed $5 Billion. Also heard that they think that the fire may have been started by a short in a service elevator used by the construction company to access the spire.
No way 5 billion. Hell the entire City Center in Las Vegas was built for a little over 1 billion, with multiple state of the art hotels and casinos.

5 billion ??? someone is planning on a major rip-off
__________________
Quote:" If Trump is re-elected in 2020, we might as well burn this country to the ground"

Constant Slothrup
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dog Man For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
dame, notre

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/news-current-events/57403-notre-dame.html
Posted By For Type Date
Notre Dame - Political Wrinkles This thread Refback 04-18-2019 12:16 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0