Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > News & Current Events
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News & Current Events Discuss Trump backs off demand for $5 billion for border wall, but budget impasse remains at the General Forum; Originally Posted by Hairy Jello Looks like Trump got his wall funding approved. 5.7 billion. It'll almost def lose in ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 12-21-2018, 07:31 AM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 19,153
Thanks: 12,699
Thanked 13,661 Times in 7,960 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: Trump backs off demand for $5 billion for border wall, but budget impasse remains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Jello View Post
Looks like Trump got his wall funding approved. 5.7 billion. It'll almost def lose in the Senate but hey....

House approves spending bill with $5.7B for border wall
Before they succeeded in getting the press thrown out Nancy and Chuckie boasted that border wall funding would never pass in the House, daring the President to put it forward. But wait, now it's impossible to get it through the Senate just like creating manufacturing jobs required a magic wand or negotiating a better deal to replace NAFTA or getting NATO deadbeats to pay their fair share would shatter the alliance.

It is unlikely Senate Democrats will do anything but vote as they are told by their Trump hating leadership but an unexpected shift towards securing the Southern border might happen. At least give them the opportunity to do the "impossible".
__________________
If Democrats were confident their nominee actually received more than 80 million votes they wouldn't have more troops occupying Washington, DC than Lincoln had defending the city during the Civil War. Not Joe Biden, Kim Jung Biden.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 12-21-2018, 09:15 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,171
Thanks: 10,132
Thanked 7,446 Times in 4,254 Posts
Default Re: Trump backs off demand for $5 billion for border wall, but budget impasse remains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_Slothrop View Post
Or more accurately, he succeeded in shutting down the government because he wasn’t happy that Fox and Friends criticized him.
From all indications, the bill passed by the House has the funding adequate enough for Trump to agree to sign the CR. If the Democrats in the Senate vote against this CR, it would be Chuck Schumer and the Democrats that would be responsible for "shutting down" the government, or more accurately about 20% of the government, which is really not much at all. It seems to me the only ones that get upset over a government shut down and Democrats and the MSM (but I repeat myself, to borrow a phrase from Frank).
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 12-21-2018, 11:13 AM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 19,153
Thanks: 12,699
Thanked 13,661 Times in 7,960 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: Trump backs off demand for $5 billion for border wall, but budget impasse remains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_Slothrop View Post
Or more accurately, he succeeded in shutting down the government because he wasn’t happy that Fox and Friends criticized him.
Please explain the process and document the evidence for the claim the President is insisting on border wall funding because a Fox and Friends commentator criticized him for allegedly waffling on the commitment.

There is a much better case to be made for Trump's reaffirmation of commitment to the border wall based on the efforts of the House freedom caucus. It turns out there was sufficient support in the House for border wall funding.
__________________
If Democrats were confident their nominee actually received more than 80 million votes they wouldn't have more troops occupying Washington, DC than Lincoln had defending the city during the Civil War. Not Joe Biden, Kim Jung Biden.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 12-21-2018, 02:32 PM
jamesrage's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: A place where common sense still exist.
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,065
Thanks: 1,981
Thanked 2,109 Times in 1,268 Posts
Default Re: Trump backs off demand for $5 billion for border wall, but budget impasse remains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Jello View Post
Looks like Trump got his wall funding approved. 5.7 billion. It'll almost def lose in the Senate but hey....

House approves spending bill with $5.7B for border wall
I am not sure if anyone else noticed this but it seems the media is trying to downplay any potential shutdown by calling it a partial government shutdown instead of a government shutdown. Unlike in early 2018 and and fall of 2013 they just called them government shutdowns.
__________________
"There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag… We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language… and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”—Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 12-21-2018, 02:53 PM
Constant_Slothrop's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,352
Thanks: 7
Thanked 359 Times in 318 Posts
Default Re: Trump backs off demand for $5 billion for border wall, but budget impasse remains

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
Please explain the process and document the evidence for the claim the President is insisting on border wall funding because a Fox and Friends commentator criticized him for allegedly waffling on the commitment.

There is a much better case to be made for Trump's reaffirmation of commitment to the border wall based on the efforts of the House freedom caucus. It turns out there was sufficient support in the House for border wall funding.
I'm impressed with the use of "allegedly" here, as if McConnell would have allowed a vote on the clean CR without assurances that Trump would sign the bill. He did a 180 during Thursday morning "executive time" before the Freedom Caucus guys even went to the White House.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2018, 10:52 PM
saltwn's Avatar
1966 Atlantic hurricane
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 85,011
Thanks: 56,370
Thanked 26,595 Times in 19,073 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Trump backs off demand for $5 billion for border wall, but budget impasse remains

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
Please explain the process and document the evidence for the claim the President is insisting on border wall funding because a Fox and Friends commentator criticized him for allegedly waffling on the commitment.

There is a much better case to be made for Trump's reaffirmation of commitment to the border wall based on the efforts of the House freedom caucus. It turns out there was sufficient support in the House for border wall funding.
It was a combination of both influences, and no, McConnell or Pelosi ever had the votes so far. Enough of the constituency doesn't want the wall which will cost over 70 billion, no.1 they know once that foot is in the door with the 5 billion, the funding may go on, and 2, they know there is no place for such a wall regarding the geography of the area to put it. A third reason may be that based on 1 and 2, they fear the money once appropriated, may be skimmed somehow. Trump has already mention 'robbing from peter to pay pau' so to speak, taking from one program and giving to another. That last situation would be against laws and rules.
__________________
Prince Phillip was one of the last of that greatest generation who kept the peace and built Western liberal freedom. ~Scott Morrison, PM Australia
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2018, 10:52 PM
saltwn's Avatar
1966 Atlantic hurricane
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 85,011
Thanks: 56,370
Thanked 26,595 Times in 19,073 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Trump backs off demand for $5 billion for border wall, but budget impasse remains

NBC News has learned Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg voted FROM HER HOSPITAL BED to refuse to let the government enforce Pres. Trump's proposed restriction on asylum. The court voted 5-4 to leave a lower court ruling in place that blocks enforcement of the crackdown.
12:46 PM - 21 Dec 2018 @PeteWilliamsNBC

__________________
Prince Phillip was one of the last of that greatest generation who kept the peace and built Western liberal freedom. ~Scott Morrison, PM Australia
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2018, 11:54 PM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 19,153
Thanks: 12,699
Thanked 13,661 Times in 7,960 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: Trump backs off demand for $5 billion for border wall, but budget impasse remains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_Slothrop View Post
I'm impressed with the use of "allegedly" here, as if McConnell would have allowed a vote on the clean CR without assurances that Trump would sign the bill. He did a 180 during Thursday morning "executive time" before the Freedom Caucus guys even went to the White House.
On the contrary, McConnell and Ryan have pushed for long running CRs without border wall funding without assurances Trump would sign. It was something of a surprise when Trump signed off on the last massive CR but despite the President's promise he wouldn't sign off on another McConnell delayed appropriations having to do with border security until the very last minute in the hope the President would abandon his pledge to fund wall construction and to refuse to sign another terrible CR capitulating to Democrat intransigence.

Just yesterday McConnell made a speech effectively withdrawing from compromise negotiations yet now you claim he works at the President's direction.

Again, no evidence the President changed his mind on funding the border wall or that he was influenced by TV commentary. Speculation that McConnell wouldn't have moved without Trump's approval beforehand is no evidence, it Resistance allegations.
__________________
If Democrats were confident their nominee actually received more than 80 million votes they wouldn't have more troops occupying Washington, DC than Lincoln had defending the city during the Civil War. Not Joe Biden, Kim Jung Biden.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2018, 01:24 AM
Hairy Jello's Avatar
Deplorable
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,554
Thanks: 1,966
Thanked 13,208 Times in 8,270 Posts
Default Re: Trump backs off demand for $5 billion for border wall, but budget impasse remains

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWager View Post
Folded like a cheap suit. After all the threats, the tough talk, the bluster, the acceptance of credit for shutting down the government over his stupid wall, Trump caved, again.
Sooooooooo your view on Trump for backing off is negative. Does that mean your view of Trump for not backing down is positive?

We all know the answer to that. Your view on Trump on this issue was gonna be negative regardless of what he did. Your own words prove that. Basically you're just a partisan lib with TDS who will bash Trump no matter what he does. You can try and say otherwise but the evidence (your own words) shoots it down.
__________________

Not an accurate representation of a white person.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2018, 05:52 AM
Constant_Slothrop's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,352
Thanks: 7
Thanked 359 Times in 318 Posts
Default Re: Trump backs off demand for $5 billion for border wall, but budget impasse remains

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
On the contrary, McConnell and Ryan have pushed for long running CRs without border wall funding without assurances Trump would sign. It was something of a surprise when Trump signed off on the last massive CR but despite the President's promise he wouldn't sign off on another McConnell delayed appropriations having to do with border security until the very last minute in the hope the President would abandon his pledge to fund wall construction and to refuse to sign another terrible CR capitulating to Democrat intransigence.

Just yesterday McConnell made a speech effectively withdrawing from compromise negotiations yet now you claim he works at the President's direction.

Again, no evidence the President changed his mind on funding the border wall or that he was influenced by TV commentary. Speculation that McConnell wouldn't have moved without Trump's approval beforehand is no evidence, it Resistance allegations.
Mitch McConnell is many things. Stupid isn’t one of them. You’re a fool if you think he would have allowed a vote on the clean CR (and sent Senators home for the holidays) without assurances from the Whitd House that Trump would sign the bill.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
backs, billion, border, budget, but, demand, for, impasse, off, remains, trump, wall

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0