Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > News & Current Events
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News & Current Events Discuss Sen. Elizabeth Warren wants to roll back the GOP tax cuts at the General Forum; Sen. Elizabeth Warren wants to roll back the GOP tax cuts CNBC John Harwood | @johnjharwood Published 13 Hours Ago ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-24-2018, 07:25 PM
CindyB's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,789
Thanks: 10,700
Thanked 5,999 Times in 3,695 Posts
Default Sen. Elizabeth Warren wants to roll back the GOP tax cuts

Quote:
Sen. Elizabeth Warren wants to roll back the GOP tax cuts

CNBC

John Harwood | @johnjharwood
Published 13 Hours Ago Updated 8 Hours Ago

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., sat down with CNBC's John Harwood to discuss an array of issues, from President Donald Trump to the economy. Here, she talks about wanting to roll back the GOP tax cuts.

Q: If Democrats take the Congress, if you're in the White House, or both, would you like to see these corporate tax cuts repealed?

A: Yeah, I really want to see them rolled back.

Q: Back to 35 percent?

A: Well, it's not about the number. Here's how I look at budgets and taxes are at the heart of this. A lot of people think they're just numbers; they're not. They are the expression of our values. The values of the Republican Party that passed those tax cuts are to give $1.5 trillion away to the richest Americans and the biggest corporations, and let everybody else pick up the crumbs.

I think the right way to think about this is that we need a budget, we need a tax bill that works for all of us. So what I'd like to see is I'd like to see us strengthen America's middle class.

Q: What's too high for the top personal rate?

A: It's not about a number. That's what negotiations are all about.

Q: Is 50 percent obviously too high?

A: That's why you sit down and you negotiate over the numbers.

Q: When George W. Bush was president, his team articulated the view that it was a matter of right and wrong that you shouldn't have more than a third of your income taken. Do you feel similarly that it's wrong for more than half of somebody's marginal income to be taken?

A: Look, there was a time in a very prosperous America — an America that was growing a middle class, an America in which working families were doing better generation after generation after generation — where the top marginal rate was well above 50 percent.

Q: Ninety percent.

A: That's exactly right. But for me, the heart of the question is that you've got to ask, "What constitutes a fair share in this economy?" It depends in part on what the economy is.

Q: It doesn't strike you as obviously, "no, 90 percent, that's ridiculous. Can't be that"?

A: Ninety percent, yes; 90 percent sounds pretty shockingly high. But what I’m trying to get at is this is not about negotiating over specific numbers. It's not about negotiating before you go into the negotiations.

The Republicans wrote this tax bill behind closed doors. They didn't want any Democrats in the room. They sat down with their donors and with the lobbyists, and they decided on the rates by themselves.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/23/sen-...-tax-cuts.html

You want higher taxes? If you do, then vote Democrat!
__________________

“LET’S GO BRANDON”
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-24-2018, 07:38 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 88,679
Thanks: 57,320
Thanked 26,941 Times in 19,376 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Sen. Elizabeth Warren wants to roll back the GOP tax cuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyB View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/23/sen-...-tax-cuts.html

You want higher taxes? If you do, then vote Democrat!
you mean the tax increase for middle americans? im with her.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-24-2018, 07:44 PM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 13,889
Thanks: 12,756
Thanked 10,562 Times in 6,350 Posts
Default Re: Sen. Elizabeth Warren wants to roll back the GOP tax cuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
you mean the tax increase for middle americans? im with her.
Still peddling this, even though the final outcome (actually filing 2018 income tax returns) hasn't happened.

Exactly how do you figure middle income taxes will be higher? For most, they won't be....

Start here: https://apps.irs.gov/app/withholdingcalculator/
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-24-2018, 07:48 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 88,679
Thanks: 57,320
Thanked 26,941 Times in 19,376 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Sen. Elizabeth Warren wants to roll back the GOP tax cuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
Still peddling this, even though the final outcome (actually filing 2018 income tax returns) hasn't happened.

Exactly how do you figure middle income taxes will be higher? For most, they won't be....

Start here: https://apps.irs.gov/app/withholdingcalculator/
the bomb is in the bag. small changes to middle class expire more rapidly than the richy rich rich rich taxes.
also we will have taxes in the form of fees
to run a country you need revenue. you dont get it from the poor even if you cut their programs
you get it from the rich beyond belief
it worked in the pat and the richy rich could get breaks that helped the country instead of expanding overseas.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-24-2018, 08:05 PM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,558
Thanks: 14,025
Thanked 10,340 Times in 5,894 Posts
Default Re: Sen. Elizabeth Warren wants to roll back the GOP tax cuts

That ought to be a winning slogan in the mid terms, vote for us and we will raise your taxes. Where do I sign up?
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-24-2018, 08:26 PM
Lumara's Avatar
Belly Dance Queen
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Great Smoky Mountains
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,260
Thanks: 4,768
Thanked 4,212 Times in 2,017 Posts
Default Re: Sen. Elizabeth Warren wants to roll back the GOP tax cuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
That ought to be a winning slogan in the mid terms, vote for us and we will raise your taxes. Where do I sign up?
At least it's a change from the Democrat's sole platform of "We hate Trump" that we've been seeing since his election. Now they have two issues in their platform: "We hate Trump" and "We want to raise your taxes."
__________________
If you're not allowed to question it, it's not science. It's propoganda.

"Wokeness gives people a shield to be mean and cruel, armored in false virtue." - Elon Musk

"What you want to do is appropriate women, you want to appropriate womanhood and turn it into basically a costume that could be worn!" - Matt Walsh to trans activist
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-24-2018, 08:33 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,620
Thanks: 10,112
Thanked 15,316 Times in 9,287 Posts
Post Re: Sen. Elizabeth Warren wants to roll back the GOP tax cuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyB View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/23/sen-...-tax-cuts.html
You want higher taxes? If you do, then vote Democrat!
Democrats have historically shown they can / do lower the deficit.
Republicans have historically shown they jack up the deficit.


Part of how Republicans raise the deficit is by lowering the government income (i.e. taxes) while raising the defense spending.
In the modern world, when a household spends too much they have to look at either:
a) raising what money they bring in, and/or
b) lowering how much they spend.

For Republicans, they push for policies that screw over the household budget and pretend it's all good...
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-24-2018, 09:12 PM
Bat Bat is offline
Hinged
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,020
Thanks: 86
Thanked 1,382 Times in 832 Posts
Default Re: Sen. Elizabeth Warren wants to roll back the GOP tax cuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumara View Post
At least it's a change from the Democrat's sole platform of "We hate Trump" that we've been seeing since his election. Now they have two issues in their platform: "We hate Trump" and "We want to raise your taxes."
You forgot the third. "We want no borders or immigration law."
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bat For This Useful Post:
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-24-2018, 09:13 PM
CindyB's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,789
Thanks: 10,700
Thanked 5,999 Times in 3,695 Posts
Default Re: Sen. Elizabeth Warren wants to roll back the GOP tax cuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
the bomb is in the bag. small changes to middle class expire more rapidly than the richy rich rich rich taxes.
also we will have taxes in the form of fees
to run a country you need revenue. you dont get it from the poor even if you cut their programs
you get it from the rich beyond belief
it worked in the pat and the richy rich could get breaks that helped the country instead of expanding overseas.
Got a link to prove your point? I didn't think so, no surprise there.

The fed has been collecting record amounts of money in taxes, you neglect to mention that, no surprise there either.
__________________

“LET’S GO BRANDON”
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-24-2018, 09:14 PM
CindyB's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,789
Thanks: 10,700
Thanked 5,999 Times in 3,695 Posts
Default Re: Sen. Elizabeth Warren wants to roll back the GOP tax cuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
Democrats have historically shown they can / do lower the deficit.
Republicans have historically shown they jack up the deficit.


Part of how Republicans raise the deficit is by lowering the government income (i.e. taxes) while raising the defense spending.
In the modern world, when a household spends too much they have to look at either:
a) raising what money they bring in, and/or
b) lowering how much they spend.

For Republicans, they push for policies that screw over the household budget and pretend it's all good...
Both parties raise the deficit and you know that F66.
__________________

“LET’S GO BRANDON”
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
back, cuts, elizabeth, gop, roll, sen, tax, the, wants, warren

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0