Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > News & Current Events
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News & Current Events Discuss Parkland students claim they are the ‘mass shooting generation.’ But the facts tell d at the General Forum; Originally Posted by mr wonder Same theme for Terrorism... and all violent Crime in general. All are down sine the ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 03-24-2018, 07:47 PM
saltwn's Avatar
1966 Atlantic hurricane
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 85,011
Thanks: 56,370
Thanked 26,595 Times in 19,073 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Parkland students claim they are the ‘mass shooting generation.’ But the facts te

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
Same theme for Terrorism... and all violent Crime in general.
All are down sine the 90s... everywhere in the U.S..


All are hyped out of proportion by the media and politicians for various reasons.
Hyped? Hmmm...tell that to the parents of 17 dead people.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
__________________
Prince Phillip was one of the last of that greatest generation who kept the peace and built Western liberal freedom. ~Scott Morrison, PM Australia
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saltwn For This Useful Post:
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2018, 12:03 AM
Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: near a california beach
Posts: 1,452
Thanks: 484
Thanked 732 Times in 546 Posts
Default Re: Parkland students claim they are the ‘mass shooting generation.’ But the facts te

I'm still trying to figure out why an average person would need a weapon like an AR with a large capacity magazine. Even the cops were afraid to enter the school while the shooter was operating that weapon. Usually a .38 revolver is all a person needs for protection. My opinion anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2018, 01:25 AM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 56,281
Thanks: 2,340
Thanked 37,356 Times in 21,108 Posts
Default Re: Parkland students claim they are the ‘mass shooting generation.’ But the facts te

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryr View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why an average person would need a weapon like an AR with a large capacity magazine.
Because criminals don't obey laws, and handcuffing yourself while criminals don't is possibly the dumbest logic on earth...
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cnredd For This Useful Post:
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2018, 08:59 AM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 19,153
Thanks: 12,699
Thanked 13,661 Times in 7,960 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: Parkland students claim they are the ‘mass shooting generation.’ But the facts te

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryr View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why an average person would need a weapon like an AR with a large capacity magazine. Even the cops were afraid to enter the school while the shooter was operating that weapon. Usually a .38 revolver is all a person needs for protection. My opinion anyway.
Two words why someone might "need" an AR15 or the like, self defense. Light weight and low recoil make it the most popular rifle in private hands in the US.

So-called high capacity magazines when confronting multiple assailants or in situations where civil order breaks down. Remember the Asian shop keepers standing on the roof of their stores during the Rodney King riots? They weren't brandishing 38's. In addition, every natural disaster brings with it the probability of looters and assault or worse.

The Parkland county deputies while waiting from cover waived Jupiter city police into Parkland high school. This was after the firing had stopped. The maniac slipped into the crowd of fleeing students to escape thanks to the deputies inaction.
__________________
If Democrats were confident their nominee actually received more than 80 million votes they wouldn't have more troops occupying Washington, DC than Lincoln had defending the city during the Civil War. Not Joe Biden, Kim Jung Biden.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2018, 09:19 AM
Bat Bat is offline
Hinged
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,020
Thanks: 86
Thanked 1,378 Times in 831 Posts
Default Re: Parkland students claim they are the ‘mass shooting generation.’ But the facts te

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryr View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why an average person would need a weapon like an AR with a large capacity magazine. Even the cops were afraid to enter the school while the shooter was operating that weapon. Usually a .38 revolver is all a person needs for protection. My opinion anyway.
I prefer a .38 semi-auto with a large capacity magazine over a .38 revolver.
These days, cops don't carry revolvers, they carry semi-auto firearms. No doubt that the sheriff that didn't enter MSD high school had a semi-auto, not a revolver.

I don't own an AR-15 because that weapon is designed to harm, not kill. If I'm ever in the position of needing to protect myself with a firearm, I want it to kill.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2018, 10:35 AM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,332
Thanks: 727
Thanked 7,098 Times in 5,076 Posts
Default Re: Parkland students claim they are the ‘mass shooting generation.’ But the facts te

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryr View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why an average person would need a weapon like an AR with a large capacity magazine. Even the cops were afraid to enter the school while the shooter was operating that weapon. Usually a .38 revolver is all a person needs for protection. My opinion anyway.
It is nobody's damned business why law abiding citizens have or need any type of weapon with any type of magazine capacity. Memorize that. Retain that information for the future.

The cops being afraid to enter the school just shows they were cowards.

Go after the bad guys. That is a better idea.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2018, 04:58 PM
Jaaaman's Avatar
Outing liberal stupidity
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: South Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 596
Thanks: 1,645
Thanked 398 Times in 259 Posts
Post Re: Parkland students claim they are the ‘mass shooting generation.’ But the facts te

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
It is nobody's damned business why law abiding citizens have or need any type of weapon with any type of magazine capacity. Memorize that. Retain that information for the future.
Correct Manitou. It's no one's business why I have a particular weapon. This lame reasoning by the left "Why does he need an AR-15" is building a strawman.

The left is pushing to remove "assault style weapons" and if they get their way, next will be semi-automatic hand guns and just progress from there. No, the real agenda here has to do with control. The left could honestly care less about the sanctity of life (as in the abortion epidemic). This is an assault on my personal freedoms and I will not take it lying down.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaaaman For This Useful Post:
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2018, 06:33 PM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,595
Thanks: 11,593
Thanked 7,774 Times in 5,136 Posts
Default Re: Parkland students claim they are the ‘mass shooting generation.’ But the facts te

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
Hyped? Hmmm...tell that to the parents of 17 dead people.
What i'd say to the parents is not the same as my response to that kid's assertion that this is a "mass shooting generation".


It's simple not the case that School Shootings are the the largest cause of death for teens, or that that those mass shooting death numbers ...below 75 yearly nationwide... would mark the MILLIONS of living students as a "mass shooting generation". Only if that particular form of tragic death is HYPED would anyone think that it was rational to use that label. Or even to think that things are far worse than they were in the 1980s 1990s etc..
...According to research by The Washington Post, 869 people have been killed in mass shootings in the United States since August 1, 1966...
The leading cause of Death for teens are various accidents, on average over 3000 of them every year. After that it's suicide over 2000 per year and rising over the past several years.
So as horrible and avoidable as 17 deaths are, it simply doesn't make this a "mass Shooting generation".

So as i said if you look at the U.S. terrorism numbers, the U.S. numbers for violent crime, and numbers of School Shootings or even Mass Shootings.
and compare them to their numbers in the past, they are not WILDLY different.

And if you compare their numbers to OTHER causes of death, Car accidents, Heart attacks, Being killed by falling furniture, ...even being killed by a police officer.
the numbers are lower... generally MUCH lower.
The odds of being killed by a refugee terrorist? One in 3.6 billion.
compares annual risk of
dying in a car accident of 1 in 19,000;
drowning in a bathtub at 1 in 800,000;
dying in a building fire at 1 in 99,000;
or being struck by lightning at 1 in 5,500,000.
In other words, in the last five years you were four times more likely to be struck by lightning than killed by a terrorist.

...Another report by The Washington Post found that in the years following the Sept. 11, 2001 attack, the risk of dying in a terrorist incident is less than the risk of being killed by falling furniture or a TV....

The lifetime risk of dying in a mass shooting is around 1 in 110,154 — about the same chance of dying from a dog attack or legal execution.


ergo fear, concern and outrage is HYPED.
by media and politicians for various reason.




https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...ss-shootings#3

21 Shocking Statistics ? Including the Likelihood of a Big Lotto Win

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/healt..._10724222.html

You’re Much More Likely to Be Killed By Lightning than by a Terrorist | Washington's Blog

Just How Dangerous Is Terrorism, Really? | Washington's Blog

(numbers vary but the point remains)
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8

Last edited by mr wonder; 03-25-2018 at 06:38 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2018, 08:20 PM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,595
Thanks: 11,593
Thanked 7,774 Times in 5,136 Posts
Default Re: Parkland students claim they are the ‘mass shooting generation.’ But the facts te

Quote:
...The report also showed that 349 people were killed between 2000 and 2011 by a falling television, appliance or piece of furniture -- 84 percent of them were kids younger than 9 years old. Falling televisions were more deadly, accounting for 62 percent of these fatalities. Last year alone, a record 41 tip-over related fatalities occurred.
The worrisome trends the report spotlighted indicated that three children are injured by a tip-over every hour --
or 71 children per day -- and one child is killed every two weeks.


https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tipping...ds-govt-warns/

Seventy percent of injuries involving children were caused by televisions, followed by 26 percent caused by furniture like dressers or tables.
...
Sad facts, and more death than school shooting but no one's boycotting TVs or claiming they are the "Generation Killed by TVs falling"
Few ..if any... are even talking about it as a problem at all.

the problems it should be addressed, but not HYPED
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mr wonder For This Useful Post:
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2018, 07:05 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,171
Thanks: 10,132
Thanked 7,446 Times in 4,254 Posts
Default Re: Parkland students claim they are the ‘mass shooting generation.’ But the facts te

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryr View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why an average person would need a weapon like an AR with a large capacity magazine. Even the cops were afraid to enter the school while the shooter was operating that weapon. Usually a .38 revolver is all a person needs for protection. My opinion anyway.
I'm still trying to figure out why a person needs a phone that contains a camera, flashlight and many other applications.

Short answer, they don't. But that is not the question is it? I have a right to own an AR-15 with a magazine capacity to hold as many rounds as I like. What I don't have the right to do is to use that weapon to infringe upon your and anyone else's right to life. But if I wanted to do that, I could just as easily use many other tools to end the lives of those around me. There are knives, baseball bats, cars and if I really wanted, chemicals to make up a bomb. All of those things are legal and I don't see anyone protesting to take them away.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
are, but, claim, facts, generation’, parkland, shooting, students, tell, the, they, ‘mass

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0