Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > News & Current Events
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News & Current Events Discuss Walmart and the new tax plan at the General Forum; my daughter in law has been at wmart and does everything possible, fills in at many departments bookkeeping, assist mgr, ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2018, 01:36 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 74,158
Thanks: 53,199
Thanked 25,403 Times in 18,045 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Walmart and the new tax plan

my daughter in law has been at wmart and does everything possible, fills in at many departments bookkeeping, assist mgr, does freight, has a section to stock and care for.
So far she isn't getting a bonus or any other employees she knows of.
__________________
Republican pollster Frank Luntz quoted a report and said that 43 percent of immigrants from African countries have a bachelor’s degree or higher, compared with 33 percent of the American population overall.
“Nigerian-Americans, for instance, have a median household income well above the American average.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...el-in-the-u-s-
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2018, 02:52 PM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 10,966
Thanks: 8,609
Thanked 7,087 Times in 4,558 Posts
Default Re: Walmart and the new tax plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
my daughter in law has been at wmart and does everything possible, fills in at many departments bookkeeping, assist mgr, does freight, has a section to stock and care for.
So far she isn't getting a bonus or any other employees she knows of.
Have they stated a date when the bonuses will be distributed? From what I understand, the bonuses will be based on length of time an employee has been with the company.

Speaking from the company side, you don't just pop those kind of checks out on a whim. Calculations and verification take time.
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you can't laugh at yourself, you might as well get embalmed
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2018, 03:22 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 74,158
Thanks: 53,199
Thanked 25,403 Times in 18,045 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Walmart and the new tax plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
Have they stated a date when the bonuses will be distributed? From what I understand, the bonuses will be based on length of time an employee has been with the company.

Speaking from the company side, you don't just pop those kind of checks out on a whim. Calculations and verification take time.
none at all. she's been there about 20 years I think. they are due to get the quarterly bonus soon. corporate always entices them saying 'this year's bonus looks to be huge, you guys are doing great...' blah blah paraphrased.
it's usually around 200-$350. last year it was $150.
__________________
Republican pollster Frank Luntz quoted a report and said that 43 percent of immigrants from African countries have a bachelor’s degree or higher, compared with 33 percent of the American population overall.
“Nigerian-Americans, for instance, have a median household income well above the American average.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...el-in-the-u-s-
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2018, 03:47 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 74,158
Thanks: 53,199
Thanked 25,403 Times in 18,045 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Walmart and the new tax plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
none at all. she's been there about 20 years I think. they are due to get the quarterly bonus soon. corporate always entices them saying 'this year's bonus looks to be huge, you guys are doing great...' blah blah paraphrased.
it's usually around 200-$350. last year it was $150.
they used to get merit raises but they take her's away by moving her to another department (they all have salary caps) until another evaluation and when she exceeds expectations on that as always, they move her again and take back the raise again
they don't contribute to 401k anymore also she would have to wait till she's 67 to draw it w/o penalty even though she's fully vested.
__________________
Republican pollster Frank Luntz quoted a report and said that 43 percent of immigrants from African countries have a bachelor’s degree or higher, compared with 33 percent of the American population overall.
“Nigerian-Americans, for instance, have a median household income well above the American average.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...el-in-the-u-s-
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2018, 03:55 PM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,888
Thanks: 2,494
Thanked 3,632 Times in 2,599 Posts
Default Re: Walmart and the new tax plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
Have they stated a date when the bonuses will be distributed? From what I understand, the bonuses will be based on length of time an employee has been with the company.

Speaking from the company side, you don't just pop those kind of checks out on a whim. Calculations and verification take time.
That's for you ultra smart accountant types. I do the hammer and nails stuff
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dog Man For This Useful Post:
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2018, 04:48 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 74,158
Thanks: 53,199
Thanked 25,403 Times in 18,045 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Walmart and the new tax plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Man View Post
That's for you ultra smart accountant types. I do the hammer and nails stuff
then go pound one into our feurer's head; maybe some sense and sensibility will seep in.
__________________
Republican pollster Frank Luntz quoted a report and said that 43 percent of immigrants from African countries have a bachelor’s degree or higher, compared with 33 percent of the American population overall.
“Nigerian-Americans, for instance, have a median household income well above the American average.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...el-in-the-u-s-
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2018, 05:00 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,942
Thanks: 9,000
Thanked 3,534 Times in 2,314 Posts
Default Re: Walmart and the new tax plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
One of the first things they could point out is that doing this in the first quarter, it is unlikely Wal-Mart will be doing much new hiring.
This points to the fact that many things--including higher wages--are not an unalloyed good; rather; they are an combination of the two: the good mixed with the bad.

The good is obvious: Those who are already working will receive a higher wage. And what is not good about that?

On the other hand, those looking for work are less likely to be hired--especially if they are unskilled workers.

And the latter is not as obvious of a result--at least, to the individuals involved.
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got it…"—George Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2018, 07:03 PM
WallyWager's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,735
Thanks: 1,509
Thanked 8,322 Times in 5,242 Posts
Default Re: Walmart and the new tax plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Man View Post
They are losing so bad everyday, that I see us getting a super majority come November.
Wew lad. Bold prediction there.
__________________
"Growing up really poor means realizing in your twenties that mommy was lying when she said she already ate " - Reddit poor thread
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2018, 07:41 AM
ShivaTD's Avatar
Progressive Libertarian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Immigrant to Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,999
Thanks: 1,429
Thanked 2,141 Times in 1,686 Posts
Default Re: Walmart and the new tax plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Man View Post
Yes, I heard 53 but still.... The question then is, do you think they would have closed down the stores if the tax plan had not gone through? They probably would have. And do you think that Walmart would have made the positive changes they did if the tax plan had not gone through? They probably would NOT have.

I don't know, but have you heard of any other big businesses that are giving out bonuses while closing down stores?

Costco should be reaping the rewards of Sam's shutting down don't ya think? I'll bet their stock is going up.
Real wages (wage growth relative to inflation) have been increasing since 2014 and in 2016 the real wages increased 1.7% in the United States and that's due to the tightening labor market as unemployment dropped.

Walmart had already increased it's starting wage to $9.50/hr before the tax cuts and would have increased the wages regardless of the tax cuts because of the tight labor market that was below 5% when Obama left office and has continued to decline slightly under the Trump administration.

2017 according to most economists was really a continuation of the Obama administrations economy that's been driving the GDP growth, increased stock prices, declining unemployment numbers, and increases in real wages. The Trump administration has done nothing that would effect short term economic changes and that includes the GOP tax cuts that won't have any real effect for at least a year.

So far no one's received a dime of benefits from the GOP tax cuts and the economy isn't going to see any significant benefit because only the tax cuts that result in consumer spending provide any economic benefit. Tax cuts for the wealthy that invest the additional net income don't add anything to the GDP that measures consumption and not investments.

Consumption drives up demand and that in turn drives corporate expansion, job creation, and wage increases. That's the principle behind supply side economics. Tax cuts for the wealthy is "trickle down" economics because it doesn't increase consumption and the money being invested instead of being spent goods and services actually has negative economic impact.
__________________
I CAN EXPLAIN IT TO YOU
BUT I CAN'T UNDERSTAND IT FOR YOU
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2018, 01:22 PM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,888
Thanks: 2,494
Thanked 3,632 Times in 2,599 Posts
Default Re: Walmart and the new tax plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
Real wages (wage growth relative to inflation) have been increasing since 2014 and in 2016 the real wages increased 1.7% in the United States and that's due to the tightening labor market as unemployment dropped.

Walmart had already increased it's starting wage to $9.50/hr before the tax cuts and would have increased the wages regardless of the tax cuts because of the tight labor market that was below 5% when Obama left office and has continued to decline slightly under the Trump administration.

2017 according to most economists was really a continuation of the Obama administrations economy that's been driving the GDP growth, increased stock prices, declining unemployment numbers, and increases in real wages. The Trump administration has done nothing that would effect short term economic changes and that includes the GOP tax cuts that won't have any real effect for at least a year.

So far no one's received a dime of benefits from the GOP tax cuts and the economy isn't going to see any significant benefit because only the tax cuts that result in consumer spending provide any economic benefit. Tax cuts for the wealthy that invest the additional net income don't add anything to the GDP that measures consumption and not investments.

Consumption drives up demand and that in turn drives corporate expansion, job creation, and wage increases. That's the principle behind supply side economics. Tax cuts for the wealthy is "trickle down" economics because it doesn't increase consumption and the money being invested instead of being spent goods and services actually has negative economic impact.
And they timed the spike perfectly to start the day Trump was elected. Shiva, markets act "Instantly" They don't Wait for things to happen. They knew Trump was going to De-regulate and lower taxes, that is why the markets took off as soon as he was elected. If they waited they would lose money, I waited till February to invest, I should have done it in November, but I'm not the smartest, fastest investor..

Word to the wise: If it looks like a high tax, heavy regulation Liberal will be POTUS, get out quick, wait and buy RE when the prices crash, sell them after the recovery.

Last edited by Dog Man; 01-14-2018 at 01:31 PM..
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dog Man For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
and, new, plan, tax, the, walmart

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0