Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > News & Current Events
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News & Current Events Discuss Counter-protesters block neo-Nazi march to Berlin prison at the General Forum; Great to see people have had enough of being reasonable to azzholes. Here and abroad. BERLIN (AP) -- Left-wing groups ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2017, 08:45 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PNW
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,513
Thanks: 22,404
Thanked 18,921 Times in 13,936 Posts
Default Counter-protesters block neo-Nazi march to Berlin prison

Great to see people have had enough of being reasonable to azzholes. Here and abroad.

BERLIN (AP) -- Left-wing groups and Berlin residents prevented more than 500 far-right extremists from marching Saturday to the place where high-ranking Nazi official Rudolf Hess died 30 years ago.

Police in riot gear kept the neo-Nazis and an estimated 1,000 counter-protesters apart as the two sides staged competing rallies in the German capital's western district of Spandau.

Far-right protesters had planned to march to the site of the former Spandau prison, where Hess hanged himself in 1987, but were forced to turn back after about a kilometer (0.6 miles) because of a blockade by counter-protesters.

After changing their route, the neo-Nazis, who had come from all over Germany and neighboring European countries, returned to Spandau's main station for speeches amid jeers and chants of "Nazis go home!" and "You lost the war!" from counter-protesters.

Authorities had imposed restrictions on the march to ensure that it passed peacefully. Organizers were told they couldn't glorify Hess or the Nazi regime, carry weapons, drums or torches, and could bring only one flag for every 25 participants.

Such restrictions are common in Germany and rooted in the experience of the pre-war Weimar Republic, when opposing political groups would try to forcibly interrupt their rivals' rallies, resulting in frequent street violence.

Police in Germany say they generally try to balance protesters' rights to free speech and free assembly against the rights of counter-demonstrators and residents. The rules mean that shields, helmets and batons carried by far-right and Neo-Nazi protesters in Charlottesville wouldn't be allowed in Germany. Openly anti-Semitic chants would also prompt German police to intervene.

Neo-Nazi protesters on Saturday were frisked and funneled through tents where police checked them for weapons, forbidden flags and tattoos showing symbols banned in Germany, such as the Nazi swastika. A number of far-right protesters emerged from the tents with black tape covering their arms or legs.

Organizers imposed a number of their own rules on the marchers: they were encouraged to wear smart, white shirts and were told not to speak to the media.

Among those demonstrating against the neo-Nazis was Jossa Berntje from the western city of Koblenz. The 64-year-old cited the clashes in Charlottesville and her parents' experience of living under the Nazis as her reason for coming.

"The rats are coming out of the sewers," she said. "(President Donald) Trump has made it socially acceptable."

Hess, who received a life sentence at the Nuremberg trials for his role in planning World War II, died on Aug. 17, 1987. Allied authorities ruled his death a suicide, but Nazi sympathizers have long claimed he was killed and organize annual marches in his honor.

Those annual far-right marches used to take place in the Bavarian town of Wunsiedel, where Hess was buried until authorities removed his remains.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-se...100528032.html
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikeyy For This Useful Post:
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2017, 09:20 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 83,600
Thanks: 56,092
Thanked 26,490 Times in 18,982 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Counter-protesters block neo-Nazi march to Berlin prison

and America is an embarassment
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-22-2017, 08:46 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,495
Thanks: 9,193
Thanked 6,600 Times in 3,792 Posts
Default Re: Counter-protesters block neo-Nazi march to Berlin prison

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
and America is an embarassment
Feel free to find a nation more accommodating to your point of view. I hear there are pretty good deals on real estate in Cuba. I would suggest China, but the real estate market there is booming as they are beginning to embrace capitalism which would most likely upset you anyway.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-22-2017, 09:17 AM
zoriolus's Avatar
Banjo qd
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Carolina
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,104
Thanks: 3,032
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,540 Posts
Default Re: Counter-protesters block neo-Nazi march to Berlin prison

This 5 hr video shows a very mild event in Germany, a country known for some serious demonstrations. The G-20 and May Day protests, however were very wild affairs thanks to Antifa.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOE3FsK_jJU
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zoriolus For This Useful Post:
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-22-2017, 09:47 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 13,304
Thanks: 11,524
Thanked 9,603 Times in 5,911 Posts
Default Re: Counter-protesters block neo-Nazi march to Berlin prison

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
and America is an embarassment
Glad you love this country , perhaps it is THIS attitude that funds the unrest and need to feel special mindset.

How about being proud of your country. That doesn't mean you need to love on Trump, in case you were worried. If we had more people who actually were proud of this country, and wanted to make it better, instead of fundamentally changing it, some of the underlying problems would be lessened, eh?
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GottaGo For This Useful Post:
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-22-2017, 09:57 AM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,218
Thanks: 11,221
Thanked 7,366 Times in 4,934 Posts
Default Re: Counter-protesters block neo-Nazi march to Berlin prison

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoriolus View Post
This 5 hr video shows a very mild event in Germany, a country known for some serious demonstrations. The G-20 and May Day protests, however were very wild affairs thanks to Antifa.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOE3FsK_jJU
Z i have to ask.
you've posted several items condemning antifa,
I don't think anyone here has defended their violence or property destruction.
And i'm not sure anyone here supports their more extreme views against all/most of right wing politics.

But it seems to me that you and a few others really want to pound home the DARK side of this group. (the light being they are ANTI NAZI)
So what in particular are your main concerns with them?
and why are you more focused on how bad they are whenever someone points out NAZIs KKK ALT righters?

and would you talk about your concerns about the U.S neo-NAzis, KKK and Alt-righters plans, actions and their working together ... by their account... on the side of the republicans?
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-22-2017, 11:16 AM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,620
Thanks: 10,112
Thanked 15,311 Times in 9,282 Posts
Default Re: Counter-protesters block neo-Nazi march to Berlin prison

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
Feel free to find a nation more accommodating to your point of view.
Maybe the right should have taken that advice under Obama?



Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
I hear there are pretty good deals on real estate in Cuba. I would suggest China, but the real estate market there is booming as they are beginning to embrace capitalism which would most likely upset you anyway.

It's kind of funny how you jump to Cuba / China, but you overlook Europe in general.
Quite frankly, there isn't much of the world which is looking at the antics under Trump and feeling that America's credibility is rising.


What's rather telling is how the right ignores the article. Neo-nazis marching should be counter-protested.
But you make not one iota of comment on that.
Why is that?
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by foundit66; 08-22-2017 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-22-2017, 03:29 PM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,495
Thanks: 9,193
Thanked 6,600 Times in 3,792 Posts
Default Re: Counter-protesters block neo-Nazi march to Berlin prison

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
Maybe the right should have taken that advice under Obama?


Obama was the one wanting to "Fundamentally change the country". We conservatives were and are proud of the country was founded. We objected to his vision of a socialist agenda in our country. However we never claimed to not be proud of the country. A little embarrassed of Obama, but not the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post

It's kind of funny how you jump to Cuba / China, but you overlook Europe in general.
Quite frankly, there isn't much of the world which is looking at the antics under Trump and feeling that America's credibility is rising.
Frankly, with the move towards socialism and open boarder in Europe and other places in the world, I could care less what they think of a president that stands for law and order and a desire to do what is right for our country before worrying about the cesspools that they call home.


Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
What's rather telling is how the right ignores the article. Neo-nazis marching should be counter-protested.
But you make not one iota of comment on that.
Why is that?
I don't have a problem with counter protesters to Neo-Nazi groups. However, just because a group is opposed to a group of bad people, does not make that group any better.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-22-2017, 04:37 PM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,218
Thanks: 11,221
Thanked 7,366 Times in 4,934 Posts
Default Re: Counter-protesters block neo-Nazi march to Berlin prison

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
...However, just because a group is opposed to a group of bad people, does not make that group any better.
UM if one group are NAZIs & KKK and the other is practically anything else.
Yes, it does mean they are "better".
It doesn't take much to be BETTER than NAZIs.

BUT...
If Satanist cannibals were counter protesting Nazis and the KKK.
If NAMBLA, the Man Boy love Association were counter protesting Nazis and the KKK.
If ISIS terrorist of America were counter protesting Nazis and the KKK.

then OK YES YES YES ... ALL are bad.
but beyond that? sorry, everyone else is better by default
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-22-2017, 04:52 PM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,495
Thanks: 9,193
Thanked 6,600 Times in 3,792 Posts
Default Re: Counter-protesters block neo-Nazi march to Berlin prison

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wonder View Post
UM if one group are NAZIs & KKK and the other is practically anything else.
Yes, it does mean they are "better".
It doesn't take much to be BETTER than NAZIs.

BUT...
If Satanist cannibals were counter protesting Nazis and the KKK.
If NAMBLA, the Man Boy love Association were counter protesting Nazis and the KKK.
If ISIS terrorist of America were counter protesting Nazis and the KKK.

then OK YES YES YES ... ALL are bad.
but beyond that? sorry, everyone else is better by default
So some evil is better than other evil. Got it.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
berlin, block, counterprotesters, march, neonazi, prison

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0