Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > News & Current Events
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News & Current Events Discuss Jeff Sessions doesn’t think a judge in Hawaii — a.k.a. ‘an island in the Pacific’ — s at the General Forum; Originally Posted by jimbo The quote in context: We are confident that the president will prevail on appeal and particularly ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2017, 10:42 AM
treedancer's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: St.Louis Mo.
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,205
Thanks: 799
Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,071 Posts
Default Re: Jeff Sessions doesn’t think a judge in Hawaii — a.k.a. ‘an island in the Pacific’

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
The quote in context:

We are confident that the president will prevail on appeal and particularly in the Supreme Court, if not the Ninth Circuit. So this is a huge matter. I really am amazed that a judge sitting on an island in the Pacific can issue an order that stops the president of the United States from what appears to be clearly his statutory and Constitutional power.

Aside from the aforementioned fact that Hawaii is an island in the Pacific. Actually islands in the Pacific, the statement seems clear.

Just liberals grasping at invisible straws.
What hypocrisy.

__________________
"He's no better than the weirdo in the basement pulling the fire alarm just to hear the sirens."


Chris Matthews
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to treedancer For This Useful Post:
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2017, 10:56 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,549
Thanks: 6,555
Thanked 5,217 Times in 3,223 Posts
Default Re: Jeff Sessions doesn’t think a judge in Hawaii — a.k.a. ‘an island in the Pacific’

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedancer View Post
What hypocrisy.

Sessions voted for this judge, along with several nominees at the same time.

That doesn't mean that Sessions is obligated to agree with his every decision.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimbo For This Useful Post:
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2017, 12:17 PM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Between Oz and a hard place
Posts: 9,558
Thanks: 7,268
Thanked 5,927 Times in 3,893 Posts
Default Re: Jeff Sessions doesn’t think a judge in Hawaii — a.k.a. ‘an island in the Pacific’

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedancer View Post
What hypocrisy.
Voting for someone because they have the qualifications, doesn't mean you have to agree with everything they do.

Is that what you feel Sessions should have done? Agreed with him because he voted for him?
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GottaGo For This Useful Post:
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2017, 12:25 PM
MrLiberty's Avatar
professional curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,262
Thanks: 21,409
Thanked 18,376 Times in 11,805 Posts
Default Re: Jeff Sessions doesn’t think a judge in Hawaii — a.k.a. ‘an island in the Pacific’

Funny how this judge has dinner with obama the night before his decision came down.
__________________
"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." ~ William F Buckley, Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2017, 02:10 PM
WallyWager's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,769
Thanks: 1,455
Thanked 7,445 Times in 4,686 Posts
Default Re: Jeff Sessions doesn’t think a judge in Hawaii — a.k.a. ‘an island in the Pacific’

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
I understand exactly what sessions is saying....And it's very simple...

If you were to have a judge try a case about orange crops, would you have the case tried in FLORIDA? ( ) or MAINE? ( )

Why?...The obvious...The people of Florida (and the local judicial branch) would have a much more, keen sense of the facts of the trial and the consequences of the result of the trial...

This is exactly why the Left shopped Trump's travel ban lawsuit to a place where illegal immigration is hardly a blip on the radar (and Hawaii is one of the most Liberal locales in the US)....

If this ban was in a district near the border in Arizona or Texas, the Left wouldn't have even bothered (unless it went to one of the few Liberal enclaves)...

Having a federal immigration lawsuit in Hawaii is like having a federal air conditioner lawsuit in Alaska...
This travel ban is nationwide, not relegated to a district in Arizona, and includes Hawaii. So the comparison isn't apt.

Also it doesn't matter where a federal judge presides, the Constitution, the rule of law, federal judicial decisions, aren't made somehow lesser depending on location within the United States. It's not like a judge in Hawaii literally cannot comprehend the effects of laws on the mainland.
__________________
"Growing up really poor means realizing in your twenties that mommy was lying when she said she already ate " - Reddit poor thread
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WallyWager For This Useful Post:
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2017, 02:19 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 70,082
Thanks: 51,148
Thanked 24,289 Times in 17,150 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Jeff Sessions doesn’t think a judge in Hawaii — a.k.a. ‘an island in the Pacific’

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
I understand exactly what sessions is saying....And it's very simple...

If you were to have a judge try a case about orange crops, would you have the case tried in FLORIDA? ( ) or MAINE? ( )

Why?...The obvious...The people of Florida (and the local judicial branch) would have a much more, keen sense of the facts of the trial and the consequences of the result of the trial...

This is exactly why the Left shopped Trump's travel ban lawsuit to a place where illegal immigration is hardly a blip on the radar (and Hawaii is one of the most Liberal locales in the US)....

If this ban was in a district near the border in Arizona or Texas, the Left wouldn't have even bothered (unless it went to one of the few Liberal enclaves)...

Having a federal immigration lawsuit in Hawaii is like having a federal air conditioner lawsuit in Alaska...
the state of hawaii is arguably the most diverse of the 50. plus half the pop of islands are immigrants.
__________________
War is peace
George Orwell/1984
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2017, 03:40 PM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,520
Thanks: 169
Thanked 4,815 Times in 3,500 Posts
Default Re: Jeff Sessions doesn’t think a judge in Hawaii — a.k.a. ‘an island in the Pacific’

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
the state of hawaii is arguably the most diverse of the 50. plus half the pop of islands are immigrants.
You do mean "legal", when you say "immigrants", eh? I ask this because I see too many dumbasses calling any foreign trespasser an "immigrant" nowadays.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2017, 07:40 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 70,082
Thanks: 51,148
Thanked 24,289 Times in 17,150 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Jeff Sessions doesn’t think a judge in Hawaii — a.k.a. ‘an island in the Pacific’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
You do mean "legal", when you say "immigrants", eh? I ask this because I see too many dumbasses calling any foreign trespasser an "immigrant" nowadays.
no i mean immigrants whether documented or undocumented. it is not that hard to get off a plane and lose yourself on an island. i'm sure people do it all the time just like in a big city.
__________________
War is peace
George Orwell/1984
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aka, doesn’t, hawaii, island, jeff, judge, pacific’, sessions, the, think, ‘an

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0