Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > News & Current Events
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News & Current Events Discuss Sanders asserts ‘thousands’ will die from Obamacare repeal, but refuses to offer evid at the General Forum; Originally Posted by WallyWager 24 million people would their insurance under the Republican plan. Don't tell me exactly zero of ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2017, 09:51 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 12,895
Thanks: 10,952
Thanked 9,115 Times in 5,668 Posts
Default Re: Sanders asserts ‘thousands’ will die from Obamacare repeal, but refuses to offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWager View Post
24 million people would their insurance under the Republican plan. Don't tell me exactly zero of them are using their health insurance right now so they can afford to stay alive. It's reasonable assume that some of folks who would lose their coverage wouldn't be able to afford treatment for life-threatening chronic conditions and would die as a result.

But it's okay because tax cuts.
You too? *sigh*

Having insurance is not healthCARE. Insurance is a front loaded payment mechanism, and in the case of low/no income groups, it is paid for by other taxpayers. It does not guarantee 'health', nor proper care.

There are many who not only can't afford their deductibles under the PPACA, there are also many who cannot afford the prescriptions as paid for under the PPACA. Yeah, the PPACA is a matter of life or death for some.

Is the GOP plan good? It has some major problems, IMO. But a reduction of the administrative burden on employers is vital. If we get the reduction by EO (which Trump has done) for now, then there is a bit of time they have to work on the rest.
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GottaGo For This Useful Post:
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2017, 12:28 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,952
Thanks: 11,564
Thanked 4,293 Times in 2,774 Posts
Default Re: Sanders asserts ‘thousands’ will die from Obamacare repeal, but refuses to offer

It seems to me that healthcare insurers should be able to charge more in premiums for those who are of higher risk--either because of past health problems, or because they are (statistically) more prone to health problems, because of the age group into which they fall.

After all, automobile insurance is sold this way: Those who have had past problems (i.e. at-fault accidents), as well as those who are in a higher-risk age group (in this case, young people), are charged more, all other factors being equal.
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got it…"—George Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pjohns For This Useful Post:
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2017, 01:12 PM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 12,895
Thanks: 10,952
Thanked 9,115 Times in 5,668 Posts
Default Re: Sanders asserts ‘thousands’ will die from Obamacare repeal, but refuses to offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
I already addressed that. If they chose not to sign up their taxes were docked.Obama care is working even though many republican governors chose not to expand medicaid. unfortunately some people were too poor or ill to leave those states, but a lot of them did. that is sad too to have to leave your home for that reason. Also don't forget rick scott of florida took the medicaid expansion money but did not expand it. he did this at least twice. wonder how many more snakes did that. we all had to foot that bill. coupled with all those state's poor going to emergency rooms for last ditch care.
yeah these lousy new world republicans like ryan and cruz could have worked with the democrats back at the inception of obama care or at least tried to help work out some bugs along the way. that is what happens with most major legislation. but they were too busy in 2088 beginning to campaign for president. well look where it got them.
They were penalized a paltry sum, which was cheaper than the insurance premiums. Yeah, TAHT's effective.

And where did those penalties go? To the General Fund..... not to the insurance companies in order to offset the rate increase that was necessary for them to charge to continue providing the insurance on an individual basis to higher risk people who did sign up.

There was an integral (intentional?) flaw in the PPACA. Some saw it. And many had their willful blinders on.....
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GottaGo For This Useful Post:
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2017, 04:57 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 81,328
Thanks: 55,442
Thanked 26,265 Times in 18,792 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Sanders asserts ‘thousands’ will die from Obamacare repeal, but refuses to offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
It seems to me that healthcare insurers should be able to charge more in premiums for those who are of higher risk--either because of past health problems, or because they are (statistically) more prone to health problems, because of the age group into which they fall.

After all, automobile insurance is sold this way: Those who have had past problems (i.e. at-fault accidents), as well as those who are in a higher-risk age group (in this case, young people), are charged more, all other factors being equal.
except humans are not cars
__________________
@StephenKing
Sometimes I feel like screaming, "Everybody knows that Trump is as crooked as a broken nose and as dumb as a fencepost. Just quit sh*tting around and get him the f*ck out of there."
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2017, 05:02 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 81,328
Thanks: 55,442
Thanked 26,265 Times in 18,792 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Sanders asserts ‘thousands’ will die from Obamacare repeal, but refuses to offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
They were penalized a paltry sum, which was cheaper than the insurance premiums. Yeah, TAHT's effective.

And where did those penalties go? To the General Fund..... not to the insurance companies in order to offset the rate increase that was necessary for them to charge to continue providing the insurance on an individual basis to higher risk people who did sign up.

There was an integral (intentional?) flaw in the PPACA. Some saw it. And many had their willful blinders on.....
might have been nice to point that out to your elected officials as the law was being hammered out.
oh yeah right ; they told you they were blocked from amending the law and you believed it.
well old broken record me: if you wanna find out about this budget bill without hype and lies, best tune in for several days
https://www.c-span.org/video/?425334...are-bill-house

Now we aren't even going to have that piece of money BUT we are paying for huge-a nd I mean really big -deductions of insurance for ONLY millionaires and billionaires.
guess who's gonna pay for that?
it's ok...
I'll wait...
__________________
@StephenKing
Sometimes I feel like screaming, "Everybody knows that Trump is as crooked as a broken nose and as dumb as a fencepost. Just quit sh*tting around and get him the f*ck out of there."
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2017, 05:04 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,237
Thanks: 9,829
Thanked 8,133 Times in 4,829 Posts
Default Re: Sanders asserts ‘thousands’ will die from Obamacare repeal, but refuses to offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
this is worse for working people than even before obama care
How so?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbo For This Useful Post:
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2017, 05:19 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 81,328
Thanks: 55,442
Thanked 26,265 Times in 18,792 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Sanders asserts ‘thousands’ will die from Obamacare repeal, but refuses to offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
How so?
less people, illness and tests covered. plus they have to pay for the deductions given the millionaires and billionaires
__________________
@StephenKing
Sometimes I feel like screaming, "Everybody knows that Trump is as crooked as a broken nose and as dumb as a fencepost. Just quit sh*tting around and get him the f*ck out of there."
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2017, 05:24 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,237
Thanks: 9,829
Thanked 8,133 Times in 4,829 Posts
Default Re: Sanders asserts ‘thousands’ will die from Obamacare repeal, but refuses to offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
It seems to me that healthcare insurers should be able to charge more in premiums for those who are of higher risk--either because of past health problems, or because they are (statistically) more prone to health problems, because of the age group into which they fall.

After all, automobile insurance is sold this way: Those who have had past problems (i.e. at-fault accidents), as well as those who are in a higher-risk age group (in this case, young people), are charged more, all other factors being equal.
Automobile insurance is different from healthcare in that automobile mostly does not insure you but rather those you may damage by your actions. Health insurance indemnifies you against your own actions and/or those over which you have you have no control.

Your point about the young and healthy though is valid. Young adults believe they are invincible and are when considered on a comparative basis. Insurance companies know otherwise and charge accordingly. Government run health care or insurance, must know the risk. They've kept records on age vs. medical and the cost of preexisting conditions. But they tried to make the young public believe that those with low risk should purchase anyway.

Kids are dumb, but they are not stupid. If they can sign up on their way into the operating room, no way will they sign up earlier.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 03-17-2017, 07:52 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 12,895
Thanks: 10,952
Thanked 9,115 Times in 5,668 Posts
Default Re: Sanders asserts ‘thousands’ will die from Obamacare repeal, but refuses to offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
might have been nice to point that out to your elected officials as the law was being hammered out.
oh yeah right ; they told you they were blocked from amending the law and you believed it.
well old broken record me: if you wanna find out about this budget bill without hype and lies, best tune in for several days
https://www.c-span.org/video/?425334...are-bill-house

Now we aren't even going to have that piece of money BUT we are paying for huge-a nd I mean really big -deductions of insurance for ONLY millionaires and billionaires.
guess who's gonna pay for that?
it's ok...
I'll wait...
You seem to have forgotten the iconic phrase "you have to pass it to see what's in it.' Midnight run, passing a bill with support from one party only.

Amendments were put forth, and knocked down. The Democrats own the PPACA lock, stock and barrel. I don't agree with everything put forth on health insurance by the GOP, but trying to put something in place of that boondoggle is going to take some serious work.

Will they get it right? Maybe, maybe not. But for now, the burden the PPACA inappropriately put on employers has been at least temporarily mitigated.

Perhaps now, people will have to take responsibility for their own lives, which is something the left never wants to have happen.
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GottaGo For This Useful Post:
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 03-17-2017, 01:18 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,952
Thanks: 11,564
Thanked 4,293 Times in 2,774 Posts
Default Re: Sanders asserts ‘thousands’ will die from Obamacare repeal, but refuses to offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
except humans are not cars
What does that mean, anyway?

It is humans who are charged more in the case of automobile insurance.

Cars are not (somehow) required to pay...
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got it…"—George Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pjohns For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
asserts, but, die, evid, from, obamacare, offer, refuses, repeal, sanders, will, ‘thousands’

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0