Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > News & Current Events
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News & Current Events Discuss Kushner and Flynn Met With Russian Envoy in December, White House Says at the General Forum; Originally Posted by Joe Shoe That's the thing. There are "secret channels" to every government we have diplomatic relations with. ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2017, 11:53 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 81,125
Thanks: 55,374
Thanked 26,240 Times in 18,773 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Kushner and Flynn Met With Russian Envoy in December, White House Says

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
That's the thing.
There are "secret channels" to every government we have diplomatic relations with. This load of bullcrap storyline is so assinine.
Former intelligence officials described Jared Kushner's reported attempt to set up a backchannel line of communication with Russia last December that would bypass the US' national security and intelligence apparatus as "off the map," "explosive," and "extremely dangerous."

Scott Olson, a recently retired FBI agent who ran counterintelligence operations and spent more than 20 years at the bureau, agreed that it is not unusual for low-level staffers to work between governments and bypass bureaucracy to exchange views and build consensus in advance of higher-level negotiations.

But what Kushner appears to have done is "substantially different, in two ways," he said.

"First, he is not seeking a back-channel for a low-level staff exchange," Olson said. "He wants high-level direct-contact communication. This is extremely dangerous because it results in verbal (and therefore undocumented and unwitnessed) agreements, which are binding on governments. Free governments do not work this way. They can't. If they do, they are no longer free."

"Second, he asked to use a foreign government's communication facilities. This is way beyond a private server. This is doing US government diplomatic business over a foreign government's communication system. It's not an off-the-record conversation. It's a conversation recorded by the opposing party. This shows a staggering lack of understanding of the US and its place in the world. Actually, it shows a staggering lack of common sense. When he negotiates a business deal does he use the other guy's notes?"

Kushner met with Russia's ambassador, Sergey Kislyak, in December at Trump Tower, where he floated the possibility of setting up a secure line of communication between the Trump transition team and Russia — and having those talks take place in Russian diplomatic facilities in the US. That would essentially conceal their interactions from US government scrutiny, The Post wrote, citing US intelligence officials briefed on the matter.

the planned purpose for the secure channel was to discuss military strategies in Syria.

If true, "this actually is even more disturbing," said Susan Hennessey, a former attorney for the National Security Agency. "Why in God's name would they want to conceal plans on Syria strategy from the US military?"


"GOOD GRIEF. This is serious," Robert Deitz, a veteran of the NSA and the CIA who worked under the Clinton and Bush administrations, said in an email of the latest developments.

"This raises a bunch of problematic issues. First, of course, is the Logan Act, which prohibits private individuals conducting negotiations on behalf of the US government with foreign governments. Second, it tends to reinforce the notion that Trump's various actions about Comey do constitute obstruction."


"In other words, there is now motive added to conduct," Deitz said. "This is a big problem for the President."

Reaction to Jared Kushner backchannel plan with Russia - Business Insider

Kushner was among those who pressured Trump to fire Comey, according to The New York Times.

"If you are in a position of public trust, and you talk to, meet, or collude with a foreign power" while trying to subvert normal state channels, "you are, in the eyes of the FBI and CIA, a traitor,"

if the Kushner-Kislyak meeting and reported discussion were an isolated incident, it could be spun as “normal back-channel

But Kislyak and the Trump campaign interacted extensively, and Trump associates either kept those interactions secret from US officials or misrepresented them. Former national security adviser Michael Flynn, who was forced to resign on February 13 amid questions about his communication with Kislyak, also spoke with the Russian ambassador about setting up a secret backchannel during the transition, according to Reuters.

Trump reportedly pressured Comey, in a meeting one day after Flynn resigned, to drop the bureau's investigation into his foreign contacts and payments.

"A back channel in itself would not be suspicious, but a back channel relying solely on Russia's facilities would be egregiously unwise and dangerous
__________________
Trump’s only true skill is the con...~Serwer|The Atlantic
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saltwn For This Useful Post:
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2017, 01:20 PM
Joe Shoe's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,218
Thanks: 822
Thanked 1,589 Times in 1,079 Posts
Default Re: Kushner and Flynn Met With Russian Envoy in December, White House Says

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
Former intelligence officials described Jared Kushner's reported attempt to set up a backchannel line of communication with Russia last December that would bypass the US' national security and intelligence apparatus as "off the map," "explosive," and "extremely dangerous."

Scott Olson, a recently retired FBI agent who ran counterintelligence operations and spent more than 20 years at the bureau, agreed that it is not unusual for low-level staffers to work between governments and bypass bureaucracy to exchange views and build consensus in advance of higher-level negotiations.

But what Kushner appears to have done is "substantially different, in two ways," he said.

"First, he is not seeking a back-channel for a low-level staff exchange," Olson said. "He wants high-level direct-contact communication. This is extremely dangerous because it results in verbal (and therefore undocumented and unwitnessed) agreements, which are binding on governments. Free governments do not work this way. They can't. If they do, they are no longer free."

"Second, he asked to use a foreign government's communication facilities. This is way beyond a private server. This is doing US government diplomatic business over a foreign government's communication system. It's not an off-the-record conversation. It's a conversation recorded by the opposing party. This shows a staggering lack of understanding of the US and its place in the world. Actually, it shows a staggering lack of common sense. When he negotiates a business deal does he use the other guy's notes?"

Kushner met with Russia's ambassador, Sergey Kislyak, in December at Trump Tower, where he floated the possibility of setting up a secure line of communication between the Trump transition team and Russia — and having those talks take place in Russian diplomatic facilities in the US. That would essentially conceal their interactions from US government scrutiny, The Post wrote, citing US intelligence officials briefed on the matter.

the planned purpose for the secure channel was to discuss military strategies in Syria.

If true, "this actually is even more disturbing," said Susan Hennessey, a former attorney for the National Security Agency. "Why in God's name would they want to conceal plans on Syria strategy from the US military?"


"GOOD GRIEF. This is serious," Robert Deitz, a veteran of the NSA and the CIA who worked under the Clinton and Bush administrations, said in an email of the latest developments.

"This raises a bunch of problematic issues. First, of course, is the Logan Act, which prohibits private individuals conducting negotiations on behalf of the US government with foreign governments. Second, it tends to reinforce the notion that Trump's various actions about Comey do constitute obstruction."


"In other words, there is now motive added to conduct," Deitz said. "This is a big problem for the President."

Reaction to Jared Kushner backchannel plan with Russia - Business Insider

Kushner was among those who pressured Trump to fire Comey, according to The New York Times.

"If you are in a position of public trust, and you talk to, meet, or collude with a foreign power" while trying to subvert normal state channels, "you are, in the eyes of the FBI and CIA, a traitor,"

if the Kushner-Kislyak meeting and reported discussion were an isolated incident, it could be spun as “normal back-channel

But Kislyak and the Trump campaign interacted extensively, and Trump associates either kept those interactions secret from US officials or misrepresented them. Former national security adviser Michael Flynn, who was forced to resign on February 13 amid questions about his communication with Kislyak, also spoke with the Russian ambassador about setting up a secret backchannel during the transition, according to Reuters.

Trump reportedly pressured Comey, in a meeting one day after Flynn resigned, to drop the bureau's investigation into his foreign contacts and payments.

"A back channel in itself would not be suspicious, but a back channel relying solely on Russia's facilities would be egregiously unwise and dangerous
Sorry but that's a lot of hoopla with no REAL EVIDENCE of something illegal. Much ado about nothing. And more importantly, it's nothing new.


John F. Kennedy had a Russian back channel.


Ted Kennedy Secretly Asked The Soviets To Intervene In 1984 Elections

Kremlin spokesman: Russian ambassador met with advisers to Clinton campaign too

People think if they can pretend there's smoke, there will be fire. Not happening.
__________________
What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand???
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Shoe For This Useful Post:
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2017, 06:31 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Madison, AL
Gender: Male
Posts: 207
Thanks: 239
Thanked 58 Times in 40 Posts
Default Re: Kushner and Flynn Met With Russian Envoy in December, White House Says

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
Real Americans give a shlt
About what, specifically?
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2017, 06:34 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Madison, AL
Gender: Male
Posts: 207
Thanks: 239
Thanked 58 Times in 40 Posts
Default Re: Kushner and Flynn Met With Russian Envoy in December, White House Says

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior View Post
What Trump son-in-law Jared Kushner and Michael Flynn were seeking, according to intercepted communications of Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak to Moscow, was the use of Russian diplomatic facilities and encrypted Russian communications to hide the White House-Kremlin back channel. They wanted no one to know that the Trump transition team was colluding with Moscow to remove US sanctions on Russia etc.

Treason

Report: Russian Amb. said Kushner sought secret communications back channel
Note to self: Senior doesn't know what treason is.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2017, 06:39 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Madison, AL
Gender: Male
Posts: 207
Thanks: 239
Thanked 58 Times in 40 Posts
Default Re: Kushner and Flynn Met With Russian Envoy in December, White House Says

Originally Posted by MisterVeritis
I love your sense of adventure, just hanging it all out there for all to see. A secret communications path between heads of state sounds good to me. We have lots of issues concerning Russia where communications would be useful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
might sound good to your uneducated mind yes. if you study civics however you'll change that statement
Yes, my uneducated mind. What experiences have you had with backchannel communications? What is your experience with communications between heads of state? I assume you have little or none given your goofy statement.

What specifically should I study (civics)? Should I study the Constitution? What, specifically? Shall I wait or do you need to google alone for a bit?
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2017, 06:41 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Madison, AL
Gender: Male
Posts: 207
Thanks: 239
Thanked 58 Times in 40 Posts
Default Re: Kushner and Flynn Met With Russian Envoy in December, White House Says

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
Former intelligence officials described Jared Kushner's reported attempt to set up a backchannel line of communication with Russia last December that would bypass the US' national security and intelligence apparatus as "off the map," "explosive," and "extremely dangerous."

Scott Olson, a recently retired FBI agent who ran counterintelligence operations and spent more than 20 years at the bureau, agreed that it is not unusual for low-level staffers to work between governments and bypass bureaucracy to exchange views and build consensus in advance of higher-level negotiations.

But what Kushner appears to have done is "substantially different, in two ways," he said.

"First, he is not seeking a back-channel for a low-level staff exchange," Olson said. "He wants high-level direct-contact communication. This is extremely dangerous because it results in verbal (and therefore undocumented and unwitnessed) agreements, which are binding on governments. Free governments do not work this way. They can't. If they do, they are no longer free."

"Second, he asked to use a foreign government's communication facilities. This is way beyond a private server. This is doing US government diplomatic business over a foreign government's communication system. It's not an off-the-record conversation. It's a conversation recorded by the opposing party. This shows a staggering lack of understanding of the US and its place in the world. Actually, it shows a staggering lack of common sense. When he negotiates a business deal does he use the other guy's notes?"

Kushner met with Russia's ambassador, Sergey Kislyak, in December at Trump Tower, where he floated the possibility of setting up a secure line of communication between the Trump transition team and Russia — and having those talks take place in Russian diplomatic facilities in the US. That would essentially conceal their interactions from US government scrutiny, The Post wrote, citing US intelligence officials briefed on the matter.

the planned purpose for the secure channel was to discuss military strategies in Syria.

If true, "this actually is even more disturbing," said Susan Hennessey, a former attorney for the National Security Agency. "Why in God's name would they want to conceal plans on Syria strategy from the US military?"


"GOOD GRIEF. This is serious," Robert Deitz, a veteran of the NSA and the CIA who worked under the Clinton and Bush administrations, said in an email of the latest developments.

"This raises a bunch of problematic issues. First, of course, is the Logan Act, which prohibits private individuals conducting negotiations on behalf of the US government with foreign governments. Second, it tends to reinforce the notion that Trump's various actions about Comey do constitute obstruction."


"In other words, there is now motive added to conduct," Deitz said. "This is a big problem for the President."

Reaction to Jared Kushner backchannel plan with Russia - Business Insider

Kushner was among those who pressured Trump to fire Comey, according to The New York Times.

"If you are in a position of public trust, and you talk to, meet, or collude with a foreign power" while trying to subvert normal state channels, "you are, in the eyes of the FBI and CIA, a traitor,"

if the Kushner-Kislyak meeting and reported discussion were an isolated incident, it could be spun as “normal back-channel

But Kislyak and the Trump campaign interacted extensively, and Trump associates either kept those interactions secret from US officials or misrepresented them. Former national security adviser Michael Flynn, who was forced to resign on February 13 amid questions about his communication with Kislyak, also spoke with the Russian ambassador about setting up a secret backchannel during the transition, according to Reuters.

Trump reportedly pressured Comey, in a meeting one day after Flynn resigned, to drop the bureau's investigation into his foreign contacts and payments.

"A back channel in itself would not be suspicious, but a back channel relying solely on Russia's facilities would be egregiously unwise and dangerous
Your selected buffoons are historically illiterate. I am not surprised. If they knew anything they could not be sourcees for the left media and you.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2017, 12:29 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 81,125
Thanks: 55,374
Thanked 26,240 Times in 18,773 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Kushner and Flynn Met With Russian Envoy in December, White House Says

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
Your selected buffoons are historically illiterate. I am not surprised. If they knew anything they could not be sourcees for the left media and you.
Is "buffoon" your new Reader's Digest word for the day?
You're coming along marvelously.
__________________
Trump’s only true skill is the con...~Serwer|The Atlantic
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saltwn For This Useful Post:
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2017, 10:54 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Madison, AL
Gender: Male
Posts: 207
Thanks: 239
Thanked 58 Times in 40 Posts
Default Re:Having nothing to say, you have said it

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
Is "buffoon" your new Reader's Digest word for the day?
You're coming along marvelously.
Having nothing worthwhile to say, you have said it. I expect no more.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2017, 12:19 PM
GetAClue's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,638
Thanks: 6,817
Thanked 4,581 Times in 2,611 Posts
Default Re: Kushner and Flynn Met With Russian Envoy in December, White House Says

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
might sound good to your uneducated mind yes. if you study civics however you'll change that statement
I bet you cheered when Obama promised to open up channels of communication with our enemies.

Reaching Out to Our Enemies Strengthens US, Obama Says
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
and, december, envoy, flynn, house, kushner, met, russian, says, white, with

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0