Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > News & Current Events
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News & Current Events Discuss 'We could have been there': Squadron member speaks out on stalled Benghazi response at the General Forum; We've already heard from numerous pilots, crewman, special forces operators, etc. that a rescue mission was indeed possible in those ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-11-2016, 11:57 PM
Hairy Jello's Avatar
Deplorable
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,554
Thanks: 1,966
Thanked 13,217 Times in 8,279 Posts
Default 'We could have been there': Squadron member speaks out on stalled Benghazi response

We've already heard from numerous pilots, crewman, special forces operators, etc. that a rescue mission was indeed possible in those 13 hours.

Glad to see these unbiased men and women speak up and give us the truth.

'We could have been there': Squadron member speaks out on stalled Benghazi response | Fox News

His squadron got the alert: a “real world mission was going down.”

The team – at Aviano Air Base in northeastern Italy – raced to the field and was briefed, as planes were armed and prepared to launch. Hundreds of miles away, fellow Americans were under attack in Benghazi.

"There were people everywhere. That flight line was full of people, and we were all ready to go” to Benghazi, he said.

Only they were waiting for the order. It never came.

“The whole night we were told that we are waiting on a call,” he told Fox News.


This account is from a squadron member at Aviano the night of the Sept. 11, 2012, terror attack in Benghazi. The source, the first in his squadron to speak out publicly since that attack, is going public to explain – in his view – that more could have been done to save Americans under attack that night.

He asked that his identity be protected for fear of retribution. He says others in his squadron also have wanted to talk about Benghazi from the beginning, but no others have been interviewed and all are afraid of the potential backlash from speaking out.


“I'm not trying to give away any type of [information] that could ever harm the military,” the source told Fox News. “That is never my plan. I feel that some things need to come to light.”

Namely, he said, that a team was ready to go that night to help protect Americans under fire in Benghazi – an account that runs counter to multiple official reports, including from a House committee, a timeline provided by the military and the controversial State Department Accountability Review Board investigation, which concluded the interagency response to Benghazi was “timely and appropriate.”

The source said: "I definitely believe that our aircraft could have taken off and gotten there in a timely manner, maybe three hours at the most, in order to at least stop that second mortar attack … and basically save lives that day."

Former Navy SEALs Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty were killed in that second wave. Ambassador Chris Stevens and information officer Sean Smith were killed in the initial attack on the main compound.

“We could have been there. That's the worst part,” the source said.

The source who spoke with Fox News challenged the military claim that a re-fueling tanker wasn’t available. He said American jets routinely refuel by using what’s called a “hot pit maneuver,” which allows the jets to land and then get fuel without shutting off the engines.

Multiple sources say there were multiple locations available the night of the attack.

He said they were waiting on the call, though, through the night. The men say they didn’t truly learn about the mission they had missed until they returned home the next day from the airfield and saw the reports about the Benghazi attack on the news.

Many still don’t talk about the subject and some insist it has hurt morale within the squadron because “people know we were stationed there and didn’t respond.”

The same frustrations have compelled Mike, a former team sergeant for a military anti-terror quick reaction force, once known as the CIF, to talk.

“For some reason they were all shut down, and I think it leads back to a policymaker somewhere because nobody in the military is going to shut down an operation,” he said. On the night of the attack, Mike was at Delta Force headquarters in the U.S. monitoring the events as they happened.

“We had hours and hours and hours to do something ... and we did nothing," he said.

Despite the claim by former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and the State Department that nothing more could have been done, a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit recently revealed that Department of Defense Chief of Staff Jeremy Bash immediately offered assistance to the State Department on the night of Sept. 11, saying forces could move to Benghazi and “they are spinning up as we speak.”

Mike echoed that: “I know everything was spun up and nothing was done.”

He added: "At our level, we were doing everything we were supposed to be doing. At everybody else's level above us, it was political."

In June 2014, Delta Forces captured Abu Khattala, a man now charged in the attack.

Mike, though, said Khattala is a low-level operative and not one of the terror cell leaders. He said the U.S. could have collected intelligence leading to “bigger fish” had the U.S. acted sooner following the attack.

Meanwhile, while Democrats have called the House investigation into the Benghazi attacks a waste of time and money, committee Chairman Trey Gowdy, R-S.C., says his committee has uncovered new facts – but does admit they still are having issues finding witnesses.

“It’s been very frustrating,” Gowdy told Fox News.

In response to Fox News’ reporting, he also issued a statement saying it is “deeply troubling there are individuals who would like to share their stories, but have not because they are afraid of retaliation from their superiors.”

The two men who spoke with Fox News have not spoken with the committee.


Adam Housley joined Fox News Channel (FNC) in 2001 and currently serves as a Los Angeles-based senior correspondent.
__________________

Not an accurate representation of a white person.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hairy Jello For This Useful Post:
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2016, 06:29 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Western Iowa
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,666
Thanks: 7,708
Thanked 4,100 Times in 2,669 Posts
Default Re: 'We could have been there': Squadron member speaks out on stalled Benghazi respon

Obama protecting Clinton, Clinton protecting Obama.....

Both should be brought up on charges and relieved of their offices and their duties.

To many covers ups makes these two untrustworthy. May history reveal how criminal and cowardly they are. On judgment day, may the almighty creator pass judgment on their soul's....

Regards, Kirk
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 300 H and H For This Useful Post:
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2016, 08:16 AM
ShivaTD's Avatar
Progressive Libertarian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Immigrant to Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,429
Thanks: 1,492
Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,842 Posts
Default Re: 'We could have been there': Squadron member speaks out on stalled Benghazi respon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Jello View Post
We've already heard from numerous pilots, crewman, special forces operators, etc. that a rescue mission was indeed possible in those 13 hours.

Glad to see these unbiased men and women speak up and give us the truth.
Here's the facts as we know them.

Stevens and Smith both died of smoke inhalation. Smith's body was found by US security forces and Stevens was found by Libyan civilians and taken to the local hospital where he was pronounced dead. Two US security personnel, unaware of the fact that Stevens had been located and transported to the hospital, went to find him and they were killed. All of the other US personnel in Benghazi had been safely rescued and were evacuated in the morning.

So there was really no need for any additional rescue forces, that would have taken many hours to arrived, to be deployed to Benghazi. Whether those that would have been deployed believe they could have arrived "in time" is moot because they wouldn't have changed the fact that four Americans were dead long before they could have arrived and that all other Americans had already been safely rescued and were safely evacuated in the morning.

This is just another nonsense "Monday Morning Quarterback" post where nothing would have changed one way or the other.
__________________
"I always had a rule, if a restaurant is dirty on the outside, it's dirty on the inside." Donald Trump

"I always had a rule, if the White House is dirty on the inside, it's dirty on the outside." ShivaTD

Based upon the corruption, brutality, inhumanity, immorality, dishonesty, and incompetence of the Trump administration the White House is the dirtiest house in America and there's no known cleanser that with remove the stains of the Trump Administration.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShivaTD For This Useful Post:
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2016, 09:17 AM
Hairy Jello's Avatar
Deplorable
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,554
Thanks: 1,966
Thanked 13,217 Times in 8,279 Posts
Default Re: 'We could have been there': Squadron member speaks out on stalled Benghazi respon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
Here's the facts as we know them.
Already posted the facts. We've already heard from numerous pilots, crewman, special forces operators, etc. that a rescue mission was indeed possible in those 13 hours.
__________________

Not an accurate representation of a white person.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hairy Jello For This Useful Post:
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2016, 09:20 AM
ShivaTD's Avatar
Progressive Libertarian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Immigrant to Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,429
Thanks: 1,492
Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,842 Posts
Default Re: 'We could have been there': Squadron member speaks out on stalled Benghazi respon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Jello View Post
Already posted the facts. We've already heard from numerous pilots, crewman, special forces operators, etc. that a rescue mission was indeed possible in those 13 hours.
The rescue and evacuation of American personnel was successful without any additional rescue forces so what difference does it make? Nothing would have changed. Four Americans, including Ambassador Stevens, would still have died and the remainder of American personnel would have been safely rescued and evacuated. Nothing changes.
__________________
"I always had a rule, if a restaurant is dirty on the outside, it's dirty on the inside." Donald Trump

"I always had a rule, if the White House is dirty on the inside, it's dirty on the outside." ShivaTD

Based upon the corruption, brutality, inhumanity, immorality, dishonesty, and incompetence of the Trump administration the White House is the dirtiest house in America and there's no known cleanser that with remove the stains of the Trump Administration.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2016, 09:24 AM
Hairy Jello's Avatar
Deplorable
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,554
Thanks: 1,966
Thanked 13,217 Times in 8,279 Posts
Default Re: 'We could have been there': Squadron member speaks out on stalled Benghazi respon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
what difference does it make? Nothing would have changed. Four Americans, including Ambassador Stevens, would still have died
Nah. The fatalities at the second location could have been prevented but the Obama admin was too busy trying to figure out which American filmmaker to blame.

Priorities.
__________________

Not an accurate representation of a white person.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hairy Jello For This Useful Post:
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2016, 09:45 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,866
Thanks: 10,814
Thanked 8,720 Times in 5,161 Posts
Default Re: 'We could have been there': Squadron member speaks out on stalled Benghazi respon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
The rescue and evacuation of American personnel was successful without any additional rescue forces so what difference does it make? Nothing would have changed. Four Americans, including Ambassador Stevens, would still have died and the remainder of American personnel would have been safely rescued and evacuated. Nothing changes.
You're quoting Hillary to make your point?

You are correct. Nothing changes.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2016, 10:01 AM
ShivaTD's Avatar
Progressive Libertarian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Immigrant to Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,429
Thanks: 1,492
Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,842 Posts
Default Re: 'We could have been there': Squadron member speaks out on stalled Benghazi respon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Jello View Post
Nah. The fatalities at the second location could have been prevented but the Obama admin was too busy trying to figure out which American filmmaker to blame.

Priorities.
According to the known "Timeline" the attack on the consulate began about 4 PM EST. At 4:45 Smith's body was found and he was dead. We can also assume that Ambassador Stevens, that had been with Smith and that also died of smoke inhalation, was dead or dying at this time.

At or around 6:00 PM there was an attempt to locate Stevens and this is when the two additional US security personnel were killed.

That's only two hours from the time the attack began and there's no way in hell that any additional security forces could have reached Benghazi in less than two hours.

Benghazi Timeline
__________________
"I always had a rule, if a restaurant is dirty on the outside, it's dirty on the inside." Donald Trump

"I always had a rule, if the White House is dirty on the inside, it's dirty on the outside." ShivaTD

Based upon the corruption, brutality, inhumanity, immorality, dishonesty, and incompetence of the Trump administration the White House is the dirtiest house in America and there's no known cleanser that with remove the stains of the Trump Administration.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2016, 10:08 AM
ShivaTD's Avatar
Progressive Libertarian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Immigrant to Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,429
Thanks: 1,492
Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,842 Posts
Default Re: 'We could have been there': Squadron member speaks out on stalled Benghazi respon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
You're quoting Hillary to make your point?
Glad that is a question because obviously I'm not quoting anything Hillary Clinton has said.

I refer to the timeline of events and no additional US forces could have reached Benghazi in less than two hours to prevent any of the four US deaths that occurred and they certainly couldn't have been there in less than 45 minutes to prevent the death of Stevens or Smith.

In point of fact the statements made in the OP refer to forces being able to reach Benghazi within 13 hours and no claims are being made that they could have been there in less than two hours. There's one hell of a lot of difference between "less than 13 hours" and "less than two hours" which is apparently being ignored.
__________________
"I always had a rule, if a restaurant is dirty on the outside, it's dirty on the inside." Donald Trump

"I always had a rule, if the White House is dirty on the inside, it's dirty on the outside." ShivaTD

Based upon the corruption, brutality, inhumanity, immorality, dishonesty, and incompetence of the Trump administration the White House is the dirtiest house in America and there's no known cleanser that with remove the stains of the Trump Administration.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2016, 10:25 AM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 57,098
Thanks: 2,427
Thanked 39,007 Times in 21,751 Posts
Default Re: 'We could have been there': Squadron member speaks out on stalled Benghazi respon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
According to the known "Timeline" the attack on the consulate began about 4 PM EST. At 4:45 Smith's body was found and he was dead. We can also assume that Ambassador Stevens, that had been with Smith and that also died of smoke inhalation, was dead or dying at this time.

At or around 6:00 PM there was an attempt to locate Stevens and this is when the two additional US security personnel were killed.

That's only two hours from the time the attack began and there's no way in hell that any additional security forces could have reached Benghazi in less than two hours.

Benghazi Timeline
So misleading...

First, there was zero knowledge of the ambassador's death at the time...Finding out the timeline AFTERWARD and saying "Oh! We wouldn't have been able to save him anyway!" as a defense of this administration is cold and disgusting...

Second, showing up would've conducted an attack on the people that did this...Without a team arriving, the terrorists just walked away laughing at us...In over three years, we've got ONE guy...and he was giving interviews to Western media in the middle of a cafe before we even got him...

Third, a team showing up would've secured the consulate...Instead, it was run roughshod and all of the PCs, equipment, and data was never recovered...
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cnredd For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
been, benghazi, could, have, member, out, response, speaks, squadron, stalled, there

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0