Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > News & Current Events
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News & Current Events Discuss IRSís Lerner will testify if granted immunity: attorney at the General Forum; [MODERATOR MODE] Removed by request from The Washington Times [/MODERATOR MODE]...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2013, 04:45 PM
CindyB's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,867
Thanks: 2,032
Thanked 1,469 Times in 935 Posts
Default IRSís Lerner will testify if granted immunity: attorney

[MODERATOR MODE]

Removed by request from The Washington Times

[/MODERATOR MODE]

Last edited by cnredd; 08-13-2013 at 12:45 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2013, 05:02 PM
40yearfan's Avatar
Easy Living
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ.
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,602
Thanks: 2,397
Thanked 3,602 Times in 2,514 Posts
Default Re: IRSís Lerner will testify if granted immunity: attorney

They need to get a transcript of what she is going to testify to before they offer immunity. If she is just going to get up there and lie (which she can do if granted immunity), her testimony is useless. Keep it between lawyers for both sides as a privileged communication to protect both sides until a decision is reached.
__________________
__________________________________________
We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2013, 05:06 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: in the natural state
Posts: 53,021
Thanks: 38,807
Thanked 19,971 Times in 13,822 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: IRSís Lerner will testify if granted immunity: attorney

Is this still going on? The organizations should just pay their taxes and quit wining. It's not like the rest of us can claim some immunity from paying taxes because we are Democrats.
__________________
I believe we are tricked into tolerating unjust wages, inadequate healthcare, and rising debt and poverty by a small group of very powerful people. Propaganda is the most potent and effective tool they use to achieve this objective.
We must inform/educate ourselves and our friends and family and we must engage in the electoral process. This is my cause. What is yours? - Annabel Park
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saltwn For This Useful Post:
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2013, 05:06 PM
dabateman's Avatar
Common Sense-Common Good
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 15,622
Thanks: 2,050
Thanked 8,174 Times in 4,772 Posts
Default Re: IRSís Lerner will testify if granted immunity: attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40yearfan View Post
They need to get a transcript of what she is going to testify to before they offer immunity. If she is just going to get up there and lie (which she can do if granted immunity), her testimony is useless. Keep it between lawyers for both sides as a privileged communication to protect both sides until a decision is reached.
Sadly it doesn't work like that...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cash
You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2013, 05:13 PM
40yearfan's Avatar
Easy Living
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ.
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,602
Thanks: 2,397
Thanked 3,602 Times in 2,514 Posts
Default Re: IRSís Lerner will testify if granted immunity: attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabateman View Post
Sadly it doesn't work like that...
Well if you can't trust an attorney, who can you trust?

Seriously, in an instance like this with the quality of attorneys you have on both sides, you should be able to accomplish this. Maybe I just have too much faith in the human race?
__________________
__________________________________________
We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2013, 05:21 PM
dabateman's Avatar
Common Sense-Common Good
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 15,622
Thanks: 2,050
Thanked 8,174 Times in 4,772 Posts
Default Re: IRSís Lerner will testify if granted immunity: attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40yearfan View Post
Well if you can't trust an attorney, who can you trust?

Seriously, in an instance like this with the quality of attorneys you have on both sides, you should be able to accomplish this. Maybe I just have too much faith in the human race?
It's not the human race, it's the law. If she gives up her testimony FIRST, she waives her protections and the government doesn't have to extend her immunity. And her attorney CANNOT disclose or negotiate information that would implicate his client that means he cannot operate without immunity being granted.

The system just doesn't work to facilitate what you want. :/
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cash
You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2013, 05:32 PM
40yearfan's Avatar
Easy Living
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ.
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,602
Thanks: 2,397
Thanked 3,602 Times in 2,514 Posts
Default Re: IRSís Lerner will testify if granted immunity: attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabateman View Post
It's not the human race, it's the law. If she gives up her testimony FIRST, she waives her protections and the government doesn't have to extend her immunity. And her attorney CANNOT disclose or negotiate information that would implicate his client that means he cannot operate without immunity being granted.

The system just doesn't work to facilitate what you want. :/
That's what I get for using common sense.
__________________
__________________________________________
We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 40yearfan For This Useful Post:
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2013, 05:34 PM
dabateman's Avatar
Common Sense-Common Good
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 15,622
Thanks: 2,050
Thanked 8,174 Times in 4,772 Posts
Default Re: IRSís Lerner will testify if granted immunity: attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40yearfan View Post
That's what I get for using common sense.
Law isn't always common sense. Mostly because the knowledge isn't common. But the rules make sense. Sadly.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cash
You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Suspended until 07-25-2014, ~12:00 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SOCAL
Posts: 45,973
Thanks: 13,286
Thanked 13,610 Times in 9,826 Posts
Default Re: IRSís Lerner will testify if granted immunity: attorney

I am glad she did what she did. At this point I think her testimony would be a waste of time for the use Issa was hoping to get out of it. It's known now that there was no there there. I wouldn't try to convince 40year but it seems obvious to me it was less about a partisan attack on anyone and more of an attempt to do a job they shouldn't have to do. Congress passed legislation to allow their political friends into the game and then didn't give the IRS the tools to do this sort of thing.

Lerner is innocent of any wrongdoing I would venture and she wasn't willing to have her integrity trashed like the committee did to the others from the IRS whether they had anything to do with the actions or not.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2013, 08:33 PM
CindyB's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,867
Thanks: 2,032
Thanked 1,469 Times in 935 Posts
Default Re: IRSís Lerner will testify if granted immunity: attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
I am glad she did what she did. At this point I think her testimony would be a waste of time for the use Issa was hoping to get out of it. It's known now that there was no there there. I wouldn't try to convince 40year but it seems obvious to me it was less about a partisan attack on anyone and more of an attempt to do a job they shouldn't have to do. Congress passed legislation to allow their political friends into the game and then didn't give the IRS the tools to do this sort of thing.

Lerner is innocent of any wrongdoing I would venture and she wasn't willing to have her integrity trashed like the committee did to the others from the IRS whether they had anything to do with the actions or not.
Lol, you would say she was innocent no matter if she admitted she wasn't.
That's the pure partisan in you.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
attorney, granted, immunity, irsís, lerner, testify, will

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0